Boro 1-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

It was a good win, had Long scored the penalty, we probably would've won by 4 or 5.

That's football I guess.

We'll probably need to play better against Man Utd, but hopefully that will give the players a much needed boost ahead of that game.

I still believe that 1 more win from those 2 games will be enough for us to finish 8th.

Good result. alright 1st half, better 2nd half

Thought the CB pairing was decent, Pied was good

Clasie was good, Long was very busy but a woeful penalty

Rodriguez got better as the game went on and Redmond was a far greater threat than Boufal

Their goal was absolutely terrible defending. He just stood there about 3 yards out.

And no, I still do NOT want puel as our manager

Long was good, but I'm really starting to think he should be some kind of outside player, not an upfront striker. His pace really works there, and his finishing really doesn't work in the middle. I'd like him as a backup player for us next year. I think a two upfront with Gabbi and Austin next year could work. Austin is the middle presence and Gabbi is running off him. Austin collects garbage, handles headers, holds up the ball, etc. Gabbi runs off him, getting into space. This could give the defenders fits.

Boro were bloody awful in the 1st half according to Talksports commentary. Stuart Pearce and the commentator described them as a pushover until the penalty when they improved. Saints won So I am happy but PLEASE don't use this game to defend Puel. I still say he has to go. I will say that the referee appeared to be a bit soft on letting some fouls go from Boro players.

A win is a win but a bit disjointed. The pivot point for starting to hang on was when Long missed the penalty -score that and we likely score 4 or 5.

Unfortunately both Long and Rodriguez showing they are not up to it. JRod, goal aside, was incredibly poor. Long ran his socks off but if he is a striker Elvis is still alive - he does so much right but is useless in front of goal.

Still 3 points and if we can finish 8th then the season would have to be judged as a reasonable success: allied with the Cup Final.

Would like to see what Puel can do after his first season - most players coming in need a season to adjust so we should cut Puel some slack. The entertainment value has to go up though.

Long was good, but I'm really starting to think he should be some kind of outside player, not an upfront striker. His pace really works there, and his finishing really doesn't work in the middle. I'd like him as a backup player for us next year. I think a two upfront with Gabbi and Austin next year could work. Austin is the middle presence and Gabbi is running off him. Austin collects garbage, handles headers, holds up the ball, etc. Gabbi runs off him, getting into space. This could give the defenders fits.

Long's touch and control is too erratic to play on the wing. Struggled there before. A busy but ultimately technically limited player.

Austin and Gabbi might be interesting, though hard to see how our formation would accommodate them. Gabbi coming off the left?

A win is a win but a bit disjointed. The pivot point for starting to hang on was when Long missed the penalty -score that and we likely score 4 or 5.

Unfortunately both Long and Rodriguez showing they are not up to it. JRod, goal aside, was incredibly poor. Long ran his socks off but if he is a striker Elvis is still alive - he does so much right but is useless in front of goal.

Still 3 points and if we can finish 8th then the season would have to be judged as a reasonable success: allied with the Cup Final.

Would like to see what Puel can do after his first season - most players coming in need a season to adjust so we should cut Puel some slack. The entertainment value has to go up though.

Thought we moved the ball around well enough and got clattered on many occasions because of that. Defence was OK apart from Forster who once again makes a crisis out of a drama by staying rooted to his goal-line rather than claiming a ball that's 4 feet away. Midfield was OK, but we still look pretty clueless in attack - too one dimensional. Think we could well receive a tonking from Arse in the week. Not really impressed with Puel's tactics, but prepared to give him another season to see what he can do.

Thought we moved the ball around well enough and got clattered on many occasions because of that. Defence was OK apart from Forster who once again makes a crisis out of a drama by staying rooted to his goal-line rather than claiming a ball that's 4 feet away. Midfield was OK, but we still look pretty clueless in attack - too one dimensional. Think we could well receive a tonking from Arse in the week. Not really impressed with Puel's tactics, but prepared to give him another season to see what he can do.

Played them mate its Utd on Wednesday

Boro were bloody awful in the 1st half according to Talksports commentary. Stuart Pearce and the commentator described them as a pushover until the penalty when they improved. Saints won So I am happy but PLEASE don't use this game to defend Puel. I still say he has to go. I will say that the referee appeared to be a bit soft on letting some fouls go from Boro players.

And you can tell all this from Talksport?

I know it's a bit out there, but how about Long being a wing back (ala Moses at Chelsea)?? Think Long (apart from the pen miss - which did hit the bar), he was immense today, very physical, strong in the challenges, and some great crosses.

Gutted for Shane. Unlucky to hit the bar - keeper wasn't saving that.

His assist for Jrod's goal was quality, and he worked his socks off for the team all game.

Jrod had 2 decent chances and should have scored the 2nd.

He will be going this summer I hope, the best for us and him too.

Good to see Charlie back - would like to see him and Gabbi play together.

Redmond was decent when he came on and scored a lovely goal, but his short passing lets him down at times.

Midfield was 'meh' at best, with no creativity.

You could see every pass coming before it was playe, and we passed sideways and back into our own half too many times.

Clasie was ok at best.

Romeu was reliable - not his best game but still decent.

Really disappointed with Hojbjerg - I see why BM let him go now.

Yoshi did ok, but his passing is not very imaginative.

Caceres did ok, a nice slide tackle in 1st half, but nothing spectacular. He was being elbowed in the face for their goal.

Pied ok, but I'd rather have Cedric - he puts in better crosses, and has more aggression in his play.

Bertrand had a good game and put in some decent crosses.

Forster had nothing to do for most of the game, but made a decent save when required.

gutted we couldn't hold on to 8th place for more than 15 minutes :(

But it's still achievable...

And you can tell all this from Talksport?

It's all i had to go by!......As a station its a bit like 'The Sun' on the airwaves, a bit sensationalist but the commentary came across as a bloody awful game by and large. As for the Puel issue ....yeah get rid i say!!! I don't need Talksport to tell me what I have seen for most of the season.

Just on the coach contemplating another five hours or so of travel but great to get back to winning games. It's a shame that those fans who can't get to away games (I fully appreciate that not everyone can) have been starved of goals this year. But for those who have travelled we have seen four at Watford and Sunderland, three at Bournemouth and Wet Spam, wins at Boro, West Brom along with league cup wins over Arsenal and Liverpool. Added to decent draws at City, Stoke, Leicester and Liverpool in the league I would say it's been a good away season. The extra space suits us. Enjoyable

The thinnest bit of paper over a big old crack, we should be embarrassed to have conceded a free kick against that outfit let alone a goal. Still, wins a win and nice to see a goal or two.

Longs best form for us was playing in a pair up top when we went 3 at the back last season. He was never as effective out wide.

Job done but we don't make things easy for ourselves. Should have been 3-0 really.

Agree with this

If the penalty had gone in I reckon Boro would have thrown in the towel and we could have one or two more.

Like many fans I still think we need more physically in midfield and middle of defence.

Thought Pied did well for his first full game and Claisie was tidy and Caceras did OK

I am not a big Puel fan but his half time substitution of Bouffal for Redmond turned out for the best.

Must admit that I didn't think much of their CH, Gibson, who is touted as a big money signing

What would you like us to use to defend him then. Personally I don't think he needs too much defending, but that will probably fall on 'cloth ears' won't it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

So our B Team comfortably beat Boro and it still isn't good enough for some?

And I know it was 2-1, but it was a comfortable 2-1

And we scored two very good goals by all accounts, but as you said, it won't be enough.

An hour and a half after the final whilst and only 34 posts. This forum certainly prefers a defeat to a win.

Yeah I know, I think a lot of the more positive posters have pretty much caved in to the negativity, what's it like over on Paps place these days?

So our B Team comfortably beat Boro and it still isn't good enough for some?

And I know it was 2-1, but it was a comfortable 2-1

Lol...good times...we beat a side that are absolutely ****e and have been dropping down the league like a stone until they were relegated officially last week....

We are definitely going to be top 4 next season based upon this!

#wemarchon

Lol...good times...we beat a side that are absolutely ****e and have been dropping down the league like a stone until they were relegated officially last week....

We are definitely going to be top 4 next season based upon this!

#wemarchon

Nobody has said that at all.

We won. Cheer up. :)

An away win is great ... ANY win is great. However, a couple more goals would've been a fairer scoreline on the balance of play & the difference in quality between the two teams.

However, We seem to have been a goal or two short in most games this season. Our goal scoring record has not been good, hence we're 9th instead of pushing for 6th or even 5th.

We seem to have lacked a cutting edge or a desire, or something.

Need VvD back and a manager who can fire up the players - I've crossed over from the 'give him a chance' side to the 'nah, had enough chances' side. Sorry, Claude.

Nothing to do with Puel, but Longs and Tadic missed penalties has really cost us a comfortable 8th. Any pro footballer on their type of wage surely shouldn't miss from 18 yards.

swings in roundabouts. Bournemouth and liverpool had the grace to screw theirs up