Boro 1-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

I believe that Hull's last game is against Spurs. If they beat CP on Sunday they will still be 1 point adrift. Hull also have an inferior GD so I think that they are most likely done, but stranger things have happened.

Loved Long's effort today. He didn't stop running in a game where both teams had very little to play for. I'm happy with the result. Yes 'Boro were crap, but we won.

Yeah I know, I think a lot of the more positive posters have pretty much caved in to the negativity, what's it like over on Paps place these days?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Its great you should pop over. Much less negativity (unless you are a Tory) and much more fun!

So then, to the match. A comfortable enough win for our B team but still it isn't enough for some. Tadic misses a penalty that would have guaranteed three points against Hull and Long missed a penalty that would have made a comfortable win more comfortable. If we still had a Rickie in his prime Puel's season would have been so much easier. The managers get stick but if the players aren't doing what Premiership quality players should be doing from 12 yards, we just end up making life tough for ourselves. Some canny buys in the summer and we could be looking at a decent season again next year - but if we do finish in the top ten again, four years on the trot is nothing to wet the bed over.

Yeah I know, I think a lot of the more positive posters have pretty much caved in to the negativity, what's it like over on Paps place these days?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I've not been on there for ages. Usually go on TUI, which used to be great but now full of helmets and Bangkok dave with his 55 logins.

Anyone else rooting for West Ham getting at least a point tomorrow?

You'll be hoping they win so they go above us

Me, I hope Liverpool thrash them as want us to finish as high as possible

Crack on with the spuds Casey

You'll be hoping they win so they go above us

Me, I hope Liverpool thrash them as want us to finish as high as possible

Crack on with the spuds Casey

Top Bantz Richard

still the David Brent of the printer toner and paper world...

got any 2-for-1's on copier cartridges this month?

Lol...good times...we beat a side that are absolutely ****e and have been dropping down the league like a stone until they were relegated officially last week....

We are definitely going to be top 4 next season based upon this!

#wemarchon

Yet you all want the Hull manager who lost to a shocking Sunderland side who had just been relegated. This was a tricky game because many teams who have just been relegated tend to win their next games as they play with a bit more freedom.

It's impossible to win with some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet you all want the Hull manager who lost to a shocking Sunderland side who had just been relegated. This was a tricky game because many teams who have just been relegated tend to win their next games as they play with a bit more freedom.

Wasting your breath mate. This place is an echo chamber for tools these days. All the decent posters left ages ago.

Thought that was a decent effort today. First half was pretty drab from both sides, but we were the team with the control. 2nd half was a much better spectacle, we should have made it a more comfortable margin, but allowed Boro to huff and puff a bit in the final stages.

Well deserved win overall though. Thought Pied looked really decent down the right.

I have not been clambering for the Hull manager?

I don't think Puel is that good...the Hull manager has done a good job in impossible circumstances but personally I have not been clammering for him..

Edited by Saint-Fred

J-Rod getting his shirt pulled and wrestled to the floor was the worst excuse for a challenge I think I've seen this season. So blatant and outside of any sort of reasonable challenge for the ball. Anyone know if it would be within the ref's remit to send off for that?

Nothing to do with Puel, but Longs and Tadic missed penalties has really cost us a comfortable 8th. Any pro footballer on their type of wage surely shouldn't miss from 18 yards.

Tadic's was on target, not a great hit but not bad, and it needed a good save. Long's didn't hit the target, which is unforgivable.

An away win is great ... ANY win is great. However, a couple more goals would've been a fairer scoreline on the balance of play & the difference in quality between the two teams.

However, We seem to have been a goal or two short in most games this season. Our goal scoring record has not been good, hence we're 9th instead of pushing for 6th or even 5th.

We seem to have lacked a cutting edge or a desire, or something.

Need VvD back and a manager who can fire up the players - I've crossed over from the 'give him a chance' side to the 'nah, had enough chances' side. Sorry, Claude.

I'm sure Claude is very relieved that you aren't making the decision.

Credit where it is due, 3 points away.

Downsides:

Rusty players

Whose fault is that? The buck stops at Puel. He's persisted with certain players when they've not been in the best of form (Tadic, Redmond, Boufal) and left out others who clearly still have something to offer (Long, J-Rod). It's just a shame that he decided to try something different when the season is all but over.

I believe that Hull's last game is against Spurs. If they beat CP on Sunday they will still be 1 point adrift. Hull also have an inferior GD so I think that they are most likely done, but stranger things have happened.

Loved Long's effort today. He didn't stop running in a game where both teams had very little to play for. I'm happy with the result. Yes 'Boro were crap, but we won.

The one thing you can't criticise Long for is his effort. I think he's been badly treated by Puel. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I'd rather lose Tadic & Boufal than Long and J-Rod.

Good, sensible gamble by the manager to give us the best possible chance of maximising points against Boro and Man U.

Pied looked excellent for a player who's been out for almost a whole season too, very similar style to Cédric.

J-Rod getting his shirt pulled and wrestled to the floor was the worst excuse for a challenge I think I've seen this season. So blatant and outside of any sort of reasonable challenge for the ball. Anyone know if it would be within the ref's remit to send off for that?

It's a yellow card for the shirt pull.

Good result. As I've said all season there's nothing wrong with our away form & performances, in fact performances are more consistent than they were last season under Koeman imo.

Having not long got back from Boro I'd have to agree with that. Our away form, in general, has been sound.

Some proper dins there today though in the Saints end., whacky types, dressed as bananas etc.

Parked a 5min stroll from the ground for free and as we had no colours on, nipped in for a pint at the new pub right by the ground. Bonus.

Nobody has said that at all.

We won. Cheer up. :)

Actually I said I wouldn't be surprised to see us having a shout of top 4 next season IF we keep the key players because we won't have Europe to mess up our performance levels, but obviously that's too complicated a concept for some people and will rapidly become "some people think we'll come top 4".

The one thing you can't criticise Long for is his effort. I think he's been badly treated by Puel. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I'd rather lose Tadic & Boufal than Long and J-Rod.

Long is woeful. Utterly sh_it. Beyond crap and J-Rod is no better alas, post injury. Both have the touch of a rap_ist but at least Long has pace. No skill, guile or ability, put he does have pace.

I'll always love him for Anfield though.

Nothing to do with Puel, but Longs and Tadic missed penalties has really cost us a comfortable 8th. Any pro footballer on their type of wage surely shouldn't miss from 18 yards.

18 yards might be excusable, that would be the edge of the penalty area. The penalty spot is only 12 yards from the goal, and the goal is 8 yards wide.

Did we see the return of the diamond midfield today?

Pied.Caceres.Yoshida.Bertrand

.............Romeu.................

Clasie....................Höjbjerg

...............JayRod...............

...........Long........Boufal......

Clasie and Höjbjerg both played in front of Romeu.

18 yards might be excusable, that would be the edge of the penalty area. The penalty spot is only 12 yards from the goal, and the goal is 8 yards wide.

I realised my mistake but don't know how to edit, still shouldn't miss.

Long is woeful. Utterly sh_it. Beyond crap and J-Rod is no better alas, post injury. Both have the touch of a rap_ist but at least Long has pace. No skill, guile or ability, put he does have pace.

I'm not a big fan of his finishing, but I have a lot of respect for the shift he put in today. Lovely cross to set up J-Rod's goal as well.

Nodded off 10 minutes into the watching the game earlier so only just seen the highlights on MOTD, positive thoughts are firstly happy to get a win away from home and cracking finishes for both of our goals. Disappointments are missing another penalty, shame to have lost that assurance of Le Tiss, Beatts and Lambert that a goal was assured and frustrating once again that Bamford headed their goal inside the 6 yard box right in front of Forster who should be clearing that, no excuses.

How did Caceres and Pied get on today anyone?

Nodded off 10 minutes into the watching the game earlier so only just seen the highlights on MOTD, positive thoughts are firstly happy to get a win away from home and cracking finishes for both of our goals. Disappointments are missing another penalty, shame to have lost that assurance of Le Tiss, Beatts and Lambert that a goal was assured and frustrating once again that Bamford headed their goal inside the 6 yard box right in front of Forster who should be clearing that, no excuses.

Not Forster's fault. We had Bertrand and Long hanging on his shirt sleeves so they should have put him off. In the Sunderland game Pickford comes for the free kick and doesn't get there. It could just be that when we defend corners Forster is told to stay on his line.

Not Forster's fault. We had Bertrand and Long hanging on his shirt sleeves so they should have put him off. In the Sunderland game Pickford comes for the free kick and doesn't get there. It could just be that when we defend corners Forster is told to stay on his line.

i find that unlikely myself, it should always be the keepers decision whether he comes off his line or not. With a GK the size and build of Forster he should be clattering everyone in his way to get that ball, especially inside his 6 yard box. Given his height and reach he'll get to the ball no probs, even just to punch, and any obstruction would likely result in a foul.

I'm sure Claude is very relieved that you aren't making the decision.

Most people involved with Saints should be equally relieved - I'm not well enough informed to make a reasoned judgement on his employment. I just go by results and style of play as seen on various live streams & tv highlights shows. I wouldn't want my job to be decided by someone with that kind of limited background information!

For the same reasons, if he should stay and even make things better next year, I reserve the right to change my mind back again.

i find that unlikely myself, it should always be the keepers decision whether he comes off his line or not. With a GK the size and build of Forster he should be clattering everyone in his way to get that ball, especially inside his 6 yard box. Given his height and reach he'll get to the ball no probs, even just to punch, and any obstruction would likely result in a foul.

No, it is quite possible. Some clubs like to leave the keeper with clear space around him, others like to pack the six yard area, every club has its own system.

Lol...good times...we beat a side that are absolutely ****e and have been dropping down the league like a stone until they were relegated officially last week....

We are definitely going to be top 4 next season based upon this!

#wemarchon

Exactly this .

We make extremely hard work of beating a team thats already relegated . There wasn't much between both sides especially first half . How far we have fallen ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nice win and a couple of goals, both of which came as a bit of a surprise. I would be mightily fed up if I was Gabbiadini. After being asked to play as a lone striker whilst we go scoreless for three games he gets dropped when Puel decides to play two up top against a side there for the taking. If he gets selected as a lone striker at home to United - well, with Puel it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Cacares looked solid. Pied played well I thought, caused them a few problems with his pace.

A win is a win but let's not kid ourselves it was a narrow win that we made hard work against the second worst team in the league, we were still painful to watch at times going forward & a better team than borough would have clearly beaten us, Claude is not the man to lead us forward next season, can just see more of the same i.e negative defensive tactics, boring football & random un logical substitutions, that said we may finish 10th it all comes down to what you put first entertaining football at times or negative play for a point from the start type safety football

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A win is a win but let's not kid ourselves it was a narrow win that we made hard work against the second worst team in the league, we were still painful to watch at times going forward & a better team than borough would have clearly beaten us, Claude is not the man to lead us forward next season, can just see more of the same i.e negative defensive tactics, boring football & random un logical substitutions, that said we may finish 10th it all comes down to what you put first entertaining football at times or negative play for a point from the start type safety football

Were you there?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly this .

We make extremely hard work of beating a team thats already relegated . There wasn't much between both sides especially first half . How far we have fallen ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

They barely got into our half before half time, and had absolutely no chances.

They barely got into our half before half time, and had absolutely no chances.

We were easily the better side but let's not forget this is the team who has scored less goals than any other in the division..or did I hear they scored the least in all four divisions?

They had conceded 18 goals in their last nine games including hammerings by Hull and Bournemouth.

Beating boro at this stage of the season should really be a given not something to celebrate like we have won the World Cup!

We were easily the better side but let's not forget this is the team who has scored less goals than any other in the division..or did I hear they scored the least in all four divisions?

They had conceded 18 goals in their last nine games including hammerings by Hull and Bournemouth.

Beating boro at this stage of the season should really be a given not something to celebrate like we have won the World Cup!

18 goals in 9 games is 2 per match. I seem to recall be scored exactly that. And I accept we missed a penalty and could/should have had more. But we won comfortably.

I'm not celebrating like we won the World Cup. Just happy with a win. What's wrong with that?

We were not negative, nor were we safety first. There was also nothing wrong with the substitutions. We played well, the more so considering we rested, or we're missing (at least at the start) VVD, Cedric, JWP, Davis, Redmond, Tadic, Gabbi, Austin, Stephens, all of whom would be considered regular starters.

I dint see how anyone can use this game as a stick to beat Puel with - unless, of course, evidence is of no consequence.

Wednesday may be interesting. We gave some of our better players a bit of a rest yesterday and hopefully Manchester will rest some of their better players on Wednesday. Frankly anybody moaning about the absence of Gabbiadini needs to have a second look at the situation (to put it politely).

From what I saw of the game we never looked in trouble, and there was none of that real stress about whether they'd get an equaliser. Gone are the days as a Saints fan when you couldn't relax even with a 3-0 lead!

I am happy with Jrod. One goal and one assist (should be 2 if Long did not miss a sitter). We need a striker who can score goal. Given him a few chances, he no doubt can score at least one. Better than Long Tadic and Boufal, who cannot score. No matter how hardworking Long is, how magical Boufal can make and how many passes tadic can make, just waste of time!

Jrod is the MoM