Striker Sale

Dusic

Long and Rodriguez need to go. Neither will benefit from sitting on our bench or playing in the reserves but neither have done anything to justify being here. A handful of league goals between them is nowhere near good enough, we only seem capable of beating the worst sides or those with nothing to play for this year. Service to strikers hasn't been great, but I've still seen both miss a hatful of good chances over the season.

It was really complacent to sell Pelle and just assume Long would continue what he'd done second half of last season, when he'd not done that at any other point in his top flight career. He's reverted to a poor finisher in a poor side. MLG will tell us for the hundredth time that we signed Austin to replace Pelle, despite the fact we had both while Austin had already down he'd struggle for fitness. Utterly ridiculous to start the season with an unfit Rodriguez, injury prone Austin and often useless Long.

According to MLG, Austin is not injury-prone.

Long.

Our tactics, which are basically every attack try to lob high crosses in, don't suit him. The tall central defenders and goalkeepers deal with them easily. All the high crosses should suit Austin better. Also, I think we've seen the best of him. His finishing nowadays is terrible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Austin next season. He's a goal scorer. It would also be great to see Rodriguez back to his best.

In an ideal world, we'd keep Gabbiadini, Austin and Sam as our strikers, bring one more top striker in, and sell Jay and Shane. But it won't happen like that. I think we'll start the season having only allowed Jay to leave, and will either use Sam as an extra striker or if we're lucky maybe sign another, and let Sam back out on loan. I think Shane will still be here next season. On paper, Gabbiadini-Austin-Long-Gallagher/new Str Looks OK seeing as Gabbi will be the main striker through the season.

As long as Redmond is not played in the striker role and we can keep Austin fit for longer (perhaps easier said than done) then I think we will do better with goals next season, assuming we can get the midfield sorted out too.

Long.

Our tactics, which are basically every attack try to lob high crosses in, don't suit him. The tall central defenders and goalkeepers deal with them easily. All the high crosses should suit Austin better. Also, I think we've seen the best of him. His finishing nowadays is terrible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Austin next season. He's a goal scorer. It would also be great to see Rodriguez back to his best.

Long is far better in the air than any of our other strikers except perhaps Austin,

Long is far better in the air than any of our other strikers except perhaps Austin,

I really haven't noticed Long winning anything in the air this season and there have been loads of high crosses raining in to the opposition box. Austin and Pelle would have got on the end of some of them. What I have noticed from Long is the awful end product, fluffing chances and often setting up opposition attacks, including the one that led to an Arsenal goal in our last home game.

I really haven't noticed Long winning anything in the air this season and there have been loads of high crosses raining in to the opposition box. Austin and Pelle would have got on the end of some of them. What I have noticed from Long is the awful end product, fluffing chances and often setting up opposition attacks, including the one that led to an Arsenal goal in our last home game.

Think nearly half of Long's league goals last season were from headers. He's underrated in the air. Bigger problem is that our crosses lack quality, especially from the right hand side while our build up is so slow before crossing that opposing defences have time to organise and get back into shape.

Replace the manager for someone that will play more than one striker at a time, keep the strikers and get rid of the lightweight non scoring ball recyclers in midfield replaced with at least two quick, direct, physical, goal scoring midfielders to play alongside Romeu. Boufal is out of his depth and doesn't fit. Keep VVD, bring in another strong central defender.

Replace the manager for someone that will play more than one striker at a time, keep the strikers and get rid of the lightweight non scoring ball recyclers in midfield replaced with at least two quick, direct, physical, goal scoring midfielders to play alongside Romeu. Boufal is out of his depth and doesn't fit. Keep VVD, bring in another strong central defender.

Bingo!

Someone else who can see that playing two strikers TOGETHER is the solution to our ineptitude upfront. Gabbiadini and long playing off each other could work. It is just that our manager will not try it. Ever.

Also correct about our below average midfield. We need to get a couple of tall quick players in who are willing to get forward quickly to support the attack. Think we may need a new manager for that to happen too...

Puel seems to not want the midfield to get forward.

We desperately lack some height and bite in midfield, we must have the shortest midfield squad in the league!

Davis, clasie, jwp, sims must all be no bigger than 5'8"

I know messi is tiny, but these players are not him :(

Romeu needs a cdm partner too. A yaya toure type of player and stature.

J rod will go, I hope we keep Long though, played as part of a strike pair his pace and tenacity causes problems, which can bring Gabbiadini into play.

Long will probably go, Puel doesn't play on a way that suits him so he's probably not enjoying playing in it.

Rodriguez should probably go as he's not likely to ever recover his form.

Tadic might be one to go as well.

Seager and Gallagher would probably have been in the running for more than a squad spot if they were going to cut it at the top top level. But they won't be going anywhere although Gallagher might make a decent championship striker. Sims might be okay but he's never going to be that great and hesketh probably won't really impact things that much.

That leaves us with Gabbiadini, Austin (who has questionable fitness) and Redmond plus Boufal as our best attacking players. Gabbi needs players in midfield who have the confidence to pass to him far earlier.

Whatever happens next season, something needs to change on the goal scoring front. Something surely most people on this forum can easily agree on!

Hit the channels, eh Dave?

He was shiete the season before under the same manager. Perhaps sheite is a bit harsh, but he was no better in Koemans first season than he has been in Claude's .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiite is the new pony.

Amongst other things including getting runners through the strikers. Better than the slow slow dross in our own half in front of the whole opponents team with one striker receiving the inevitable punt up field from Forster when we pass it back or chasing shadows while Boufal runs up his own backside before giving the ball away most of the time. 8 goals at home in 14 games is hardly worth turning up for.

Amongst other things including getting runners through the strikers. Better than the slow slow dross in our own half in front of the whole opponents team with one striker receiving the inevitable punt up field from Forster when we pass it back or chasing shadows while Boufal runs up his own backside before giving the ball away most of the time. 8 goals at home in 14 games is hardly worth turning up for.

Basically 11 Richard Chaplows?

If we get a new manager then I wouldn't like to say. Someone new could get more or less out of different players, all of whom are capable of better things than they're showing at the moment. If Puel stays then I think it's probably curtains for Rodriguez.

Writing off a 21 year old who virtually every Championship side is busting a gut to sign makes no sense. Not many 6' 4" strikers can fly down the wing like Sam and yet he is being written off because "he scored goals for a relegated side"! Wow!

Do you think he can do a Lambert, transfer his 'lower league' successes to the PL? If we kept him it'd be great if he could.

It still blows my mind that our two leadings scorers only played 1/2 a season each (Austin the first half and Gabbi the second). If you sit back and think about it, that says a lot more about the other strikers we have than it does about Gabbi and Austin. Those two were just doing what they were supposed to do.

It means that they've only had bench appearances all season in deference to the other 2.... Pretty much as simple as that.... An in a system that is built specifically for finishers. :mcinnes:

There are far worse ways to play, the way we are currently is one of them. We smashed Arsenal 4-0 playing that way last season, and won at Spurs and United as well. Puel's biggest failure this season is his inability to get the best out of a single striker at the club. He isn't prepared to play on the counter attack to suit Long, played Austin on the wing(!) at the start of the season, never gave Rodriguez a proper run of games to find some rhythm and now Gabbiadini looks isolated the whole time

Keep them all.

In a 4-2-3-1 structure:

----------------Austin/Gallagher -------------------

Gabbi/J.Rod --------central ----------------Long/Redmond

In a 4-3-3

Gabbi/J.Rod --------- Austin/Gallagher --------- Long/Redmond

And in a 4-4-2

----------------- 2 from Gabbi/J.Rod/Austin/Gallager/Long---------------

----------------- 2 from Gabbi(L)/J.Rod(L)/Long®,Redmond® -------

Edited by the saint in winchester

Do you think he can do a Lambert, transfer his 'lower league' successes to the PL? If we kept him it'd be great if he could.

He's only 21 and getting better all the time. I have watched him quite a bit live this season and he has improved two fold. His last match v Brentford he was leading the line with skill, determination and pace. He has all the qualities to replace Jay Rod imo and has a good temperament.

He's only 21 and getting better all the time. I have watched him quite a bit live this season and he has improved two fold. His last match v Brentford he was leading the line with skill, determination and pace. He has all the qualities to replace Jay Rod imo and has a good temperament.

I think we may regret letting him go if we do. My friend regularly watches Blackburn and has been full of praise for how he's performed considering "we spend most of the time passing it sideways before hoofing it in his general direction."

The problem for players like him is that they get to an age where they need to be playing at least 20 games a season, and if they stay with their parent club that may not happen. Would he be happy sat on the bench for most games and getting the odd 10 minutes as sub plus a few cup appearances?

I'd like to see us offer a new contact and then maybe another loan to a Championship club so he can get another full season of playing time. By then he may well be good enough to be a more regular starter for us.

I think it's pretty obvious J-rod is off.

I wouldn't be opposed to selling both Austin and Long if we are keeping Puel as neither really seem to fit his style of play.

If Puel is going i'd be open to them staying if they could fit in with the new manager's tactics.

I wouldn't be opposed to selling both Austin and Long if we are keeping Puel as neither really seem to fit his style of play.

If Puel is going i'd be open to them staying if they could fit in with the new manager's tactics.

Telling point for me would be the type of clubs that will go for each of the three strikers if we make them available.

That probably says it all.

A better option is get rid of Puel now.

Doesn't suit his style of play? Austin's 1 in 2 ratio under Puel is certainly impressive then don't you think?

Long and Rodriguez need to go. Neither will benefit from sitting on our bench or playing in the reserves but neither have done anything to justify being here. A handful of league goals between them is nowhere near good enough, we only seem capable of beating the worst sides or those with nothing to play for this year. Service to strikers hasn't been great, but I've still seen both miss a hatful of good chances over the season.

It was really complacent to sell Pelle and just assume Long would continue what he'd done second half of last season, when he'd not done that at any other point in his top flight career. He's reverted to a poor finisher in a poor side. MLG will tell us for the hundredth time that we signed Austin to replace Pelle, despite the fact we had both while Austin had already down he'd struggle for fitness. Utterly ridiculous to start the season with an unfit Rodriguez, injury prone Austin and often useless Long.

Agree with your analysis but there is the issue of Long's new contract and also he'll want to be based in the south. So unless Eddie or Chris H wants him that restricts the pool of buyers rather and SFC might have pay some form of adjustment.

It was madness to not replace Pelle - I can understand selling him for that money not to a competitor - and we've missed him just as much as Mane IMO. Just as it was madness to not replace Fonte in Jan. Les Reed has had many good windows but those two windows stank to high heaven and I'd rather the manager forced their hand with rather more input this time. Boufal has potential and may come good like Mane but looks as lost in the current system as Gaston did in MP's. Tadic - thanks for the 3 seasons but not consistent enough and seems a moaner. J Rod and his nearest and dearest clearly want a move. So Long and Austin more likely to stay put.

Redmond has done OK - some excellent games like Anfield in the LC SF but link up with Bertrand not always great and needs a lot more work to develop a football awareness. For the money spent, that's about what you'd expect. PEH has gone backwards massively and it's whether we can find the player in there next season or sell to invest in attacking midfield options.

Sam Gallagher new deal and either impact role or loan to NPC promotion chaser like Norwich or Villa please.

Agree with your analysis but there is the issue of Long's new contract and also he'll want to be based in the south. So unless Eddie or Chris H wants him that restricts the pool of buyers rather and SFC might have pay some form of adjustment.

It was madness to not replace Pelle - I can understand selling him for that money not to a competitor - and we've missed him just as much as Mane IMO. Just as it was madness to not replace Fonte in Jan. Les Reed has had many good windows but those two windows stank to high heaven and I'd rather the manager forced their hand with rather more input this time. Boufal has potential and may come good like Mane but looks as lost in the current system as Gaston did in MP's. Tadic - thanks for the 3 seasons but not consistent enough and seems a moaner. J Rod and his nearest and dearest clearly want a move. So Long and Austin more likely to stay put.

Redmond has done OK - some excellent games like Anfield in the LC SF but link up with Bertrand not always great and needs a lot more work to develop a football awareness. For the money spent, that's about what you'd expect. PEH has gone backwards massively and it's whether we can find the player in there next season or sell to invest in attacking midfield options.

Sam Gallagher new deal and either impact role or loan to NPC promotion chaser like Norwich or Villa please.

it was spun in the earlier part of the season that Austin was indeed Pelle's replacement. Horse5hit, granted but that was the spin.

Likewise, with redmond being perfectly adequate as a mane replacement, hence the 'henry' comparison

Austin was a good sub last season and no way would redmond have been anything more than a bench player 12 months ago

it was spun in the earlier part of the season that Austin was indeed Pelle's replacement. Horse5hit, granted but that was the spin.

Likewise, with redmond being perfectly adequate as a mane replacement, hence the 'henry' comparison

Austin was a good sub last season and no way would redmond have been anything more than a bench player 12 months ago

redmond the juanmi replacement, boufal the mane one. granted, both haven't lived up.

Sorry why is Charlie Austin 'injury prone', he's played like 30 plus league games in 7 out of his last 10 seasons. he's 27 and played nearly 400 career games. He's had a couple of injuries in the last two seasons, one was nasty impacted injury, a dislocated shoulder is hardly an indicator of an 'injury prone' footballer.

I'd get rid off Long and Jay Rod. We can probably get a pretty big fee for Long off a Championship club.

Also how many successful teams in football right now play two out and out strikers?

Sorry why is Charlie Austin 'injury prone', he's played like 30 plus league games in 7 out of his last 10 seasons. he's 27 and played nearly 400 career games. He's had a couple of injuries in the last two seasons, one was nasty impacted injury, a dislocated shoulder is hardly an indicator of an 'injury prone' footballer.

I'd get rid off Long and Jay Rod. We can probably get a pretty big fee for Long off a Championship club.

Also how many successful teams in football right now play two out and out strikers?

There are three options, play one striker that gets goals and three attacking midfielders that also get goals, more than one striker, or in Puel's, case one striker and hardly anyone else that can get goals on a regular basis. Keep the strikers and play more than one.

tbh if Gabbiadini and Austin are fit then Long is fine as a back up option. J-Rod has sadly had it, could see him going back to Burnley or somewhere. Not sure if we will get much for him. Incredible even just a few months back on here some were suggesting he was worth £15-£20 million. No chance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The system needs to be fit to the players we have, not visa versa. Austin, Gabbi, Tadic, and Redmond need to be on the pitch most matches. Obviously also Bertrand, VVD, and Yoshida in the back. So pick a system that supports this.

Doesn't suit his style of play? Austin's 1 in 2 ratio under Puel is certainly impressive then don't you think?

No not really, nearly half of those were penalties so can't be attributed to scoring because he fits the style of play.

Admittedly we have changed formations since Austin has been injured so who knows, but I haven't seen much in his overall link-up play that what suggest he is the type of player that thrives in a Puel setup.

Besides, I only said 'wouldn't be opposed', i'm hardly offering to drive him to another club.

tbh if Gabbiadini and Austin are fit then Long is fine as a back up option. J-Rod has sadly had it, could see him going back to Burnley or somewhere. Not sure if we will get much for him. Incredible even just a few months back on here some were suggesting he was worth £15-£20 million. No chance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jrod is a difficult one. I get what you say but his goals against Bournemouth and Boro show he has still got something but whether he can ever get back the man re remember it is hard to say

Jrod is a difficult one. I get what you say but his goals against Bournemouth and Boro show he has still got something but whether he can ever get back the man re remember it is hard to say

He won't unless the manager plays him and ditches straitjacket. The real answer is get rid of the manager.

He won't unless the manager plays him and ditches straitjacket. The real answer is get rid of the manager.
if you think we should get rid of the manager to see if Jrod is still likely ever to be a decent player you have lost it

No not really, nearly half of those were penalties so can't be attributed to scoring because he fits the style of play.

Admittedly we have changed formations since Austin has been injured so who knows, but I haven't seen much in his overall link-up play that what suggest he is the type of player that thrives in a Puel setup.

Besides, I only said 'wouldn't be opposed', i'm hardly offering to drive him to another club.

On the other hand we probably shouldn't be looking to move on a player who can actually tuck a peno away given recent events...;)

Regardless if Austin threw the ball into the net with his hands, I don't think we should be moving on from any player who had 9 goals in 20 matches (or whatever it is). The guy has scored 18 gaols in the PL, and is the only guy along with Gabbi who seem to know how to score (which is the main thing a striker should do). He and Gabbi upfront, bring in another player or two to back them up.

Like the sound of that. When does his current contract run out?

Like the sound of that. When does his current contract run out?

Believe FF has said elsewhere it runs out this summer. I would definitely offer a new contract, no matter what. He is appreciating in value, so it makes financial sense. I suspect he is seen as "in" if J-Rod is "out". Hopefully we can test him out in the warm up games and tours, give him the chance to prove himself around our current squad.

Believe FF has said elsewhere it runs out this summer. I would definitely offer a new contract, no matter what. He is appreciating in value, so it makes financial sense. I suspect he is seen as "in" if J-Rod is "out". Hopefully we can test him out in the warm up games and tours, give him the chance to prove himself around our current squad.

It's next summer I think - has a year left.

Long needs to go, probably get around £10m in todays market. JRod should go for his own career I think which is a shame as I thought he was going to be excellent, but the injuries have meant we have moved on. Again £10m + is very likely given his age so £20m+ we will hopefully put towards one top striker, Ineachio (or however you spell it!!) would be great. Him, Gabbi, Austin, and Gallagher would be a decent group of strikers. Back them up with Redmond, Boufal, Sims and hopefully a replacement for Tadic (more speedy and powerful than skillful) and we would be equipped to score plenty more next season. As long as Puel goes or at least changes the style of play.