Striker Sale

Dusic

If we were to get rid of one ore more of our strikers this summer what would be your priority order in terms of sales.

For me:

1st: Long - woeful finisher, not suited to any style apart from direct. On big money.

2nd: Austin - good goalscorer but poor injury record, poor movement and also on top much money for what you get in return.

3rd: Rodriguez - easily the most suitable of the three in the type of style Puel employs, the best finisher and is capable of a level the other two aren't.

*Obviously leaving out Gabbi who will be here and Seager, Gallagher et al.

I'd probably keep Long, he does do a job for us off the bench. Draws fouls, gets in behind, quick off the break, good with his head. He's dipped a bit since last season, then he hasn't had as much game time and probably less service.

I'd probably keep Long, he does do a job for us off the bench. Draws fouls, gets in behind, quick off the break, good with his head. He's dipped a bit since last season, then he hasn't had as much game time and probably less service.

Expensive bench player.

Can't believe people want to get rid of our leading scorer this season (as disappointing as that is). Austin needs to stay with Gabbi, both guys have proven they can be goal scorers in the PL. Austin moves very well on his runs, when the ball is in the air, etc. He is not a player that should be out on the wing.

It still blows my mind that our two leadings scorers only played 1/2 a season each (Austin the first half and Gabbi the second). If you sit back and think about it, that says a lot more about the other strikers we have than it does about Gabbi and Austin. Those two were just doing what they were supposed to do.

For me Austin is the least likely of the three to go. There's been a lot of noise surrounding J-Rod going and obvious frustration from him at the lack of first team opportunities. I'd not be surprised if he leaves. Depending on incomings I can see Long going. I'd miss his pace and effort but not his finishing.

Gabbiadini is our best all round striker, and fits the way we want to play (recent games have not been tactically right, I don't think Puel intends to have him as an isolated target man).

Austin lacks an all round game to fit with our style, but he lets the defenders know they're in a game and most importantly, he knows where the net is.

Long doesn't know where the net is, but his pace and harrying often creates chances and space for others. There are games that he can change.

Rodriguez, although he took his goal well today, offers very little in any department. He doesn't make proactive runs, and when he gets the ball he's very ponderous with it.

Long and Austin can at least claim to be the best at some facet of the game, but Rodriguez can't, and that's why he is the one I'd be looking to offload. Might also be able to get some money from him from one of the promoted sides who think he's nearly the player he was.

its about time JayRod told his family to shut the **** up on twitter, it's not doing him any favours and won't wherever he ends up !

True, but it's also a bit weird that fans tweet his dad saying how sh1t he is, one thing to say it on a forum, another to message his family about it. I guess that's the modern day thing!

Exactly. I still prefer to see him starting ahead of Redmond. He works harder and given a run in the side I think he'd have delivered more goals as his confidence grew. Puel's done nothing for his confidence but you can't knock him because he still gives 100%.

I would sell both Austin and Rodriguez as they are very similar players to Gabba, plus both lack pace and are injury prone. I would definitely keep Long. Great pace, excellent in the air, works his socks off and always gives defenders something to think about.

I can't believe some of the things people are saying about J-Rod. He's a striker and we all know that strikers grow with confidence. How can you expect him to improve and get back to where he was when the manager rarely plays him. Bringing him off the bench with 5 mins to go is utterly pointless. 2 goals against Bournemouth and dropped for the next game has to be one of the worst bits of management I've seen from Puel this season.

J-Rod will go. He'll find a club who are willing to give him a decent run and I believe he'll find form again. I'm fairly confident he'll come back to haunt us.

I can't believe some of the things people are saying about J-Rod. He's a striker and we all know that strikers grow with confidence. How can you expect him to improve and get back to where he was when the manager rarely plays him. Bringing him off the bench with 5 mins to go is utterly pointless. 2 goals against Bournemouth and dropped for the next game has to be one of the worst bits of management I've seen from Puel this season.

J-Rod will go. He'll find a club who are willing to give him a decent run and I believe he'll find form again. I'm fairly confident he'll come back to haunt us.

Except he wasn't dropped for the next game. He started against Spurs in the next game.

As for preferring Long to Redmond... Christ.

We don't have time for players to play their way into form over the course of a season Long and Jrod have had considerably more playing time than Austin and Gabbi and yet have less goals.

For those wanting to compare the O/S has the stats for our 4 forwards this season that are pretty illuminating and show just how **** poor Long has been.

https://southamptonfc.com/first-team/shane-long

https://southamptonfc.com/first-team/jay-rodriguez

https://southamptonfc.com/first-team/charlie-austin

https://southamptonfc.com/first-team/manolo-gabbiadini

Major surgery needed on our forward options this summer

J Rod - he wasn't exactly lighting the place up as a goalscorer before his injury and he looks a spent force now. Big shame but both he and the club need to move on.

To be fair he was actually. He netted 17 times that season and 5 in 4 before the injury. Agree with the rest though. Very sad.

He had plenty of chances early in the season and missed again and again. He had more playing time than Charlie at the start of the season. The only reason he didn't get playing time is because he's pretty useless. Bournemouth aside he hasn't deserved to play. We're not a ****ing charity, time to get rid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Long could do a similar job for us that the Japanese bloke does for Leicester if we wanted to play 4-4-2. He works so hard he can get back & make it a 5 when we're defending, but quick enough to get up & support Gabbi when we break quickly.

Except in front of goal - which is what he is paid big bucks for. In front of goal - he is rubbish, utter rubbish.

How do you know he's paid big bucks to score goals? If the management are happy with his overall contribution and are happy to pay for it then that's what matters. It's the difference he makes to the team that counts. Sky commentators were making this point earlier.

I'd sell Gabbi, Austin and Long and get in Defoe,King and Niasse (if Hull go down, which seems likely and Marco is appointed manager here)

Most here will be suprised at selling at the suggestion to sell Gabbi but I think he was a flash in the pan in his 1st few games for us has done nothing since and he kinda looks out of sorts and fustrated as games go on.

Defoe and Josh King are proven goal scorers in this league and Niasse has shown good pace and strength and in recent games for Hull, and can cause defences alot of problems

How do you know he's paid big bucks to score goals? If the management are happy with his overall contribution and are happy to pay for it then that's what matters. It's the difference he makes to the team that counts. Sky commentators were making this point earlier.

He's a striker who can't hit a barn door from 3 yards out.

Yes, he makes a nuisance of himself and runs his socks off for the team - but he is one of the major reasons we have been so goal shy this season. He is awful - really awful in front of goal and 3 goals in 34 games shows that. He had a purple patch last year - aside from that his whole career has been more as a nuisance player with pace than as a goalscorer.

And I'm sure management isn't happy - which is why he and JRod have not started much. They had their chances and were awful.

Sell JRod: since his injury he's just not quite made the grade. Shame, for him and the club. Decent player who has class, but not what we need any more.

Sell Gallagher: he's scored some goals for a relegated Championship club. That's not the PL quality we need.

Keep Austin & Gabba: they could be a decent combo next season.

Long... tough one. Depends on our style of play. His running is scary for opposition defences, especially late in the game when they're tired. But, his finishing is shockingly bad. Play him deeper as a winger, AM or 'No.10'? Maybe if the pressure to score was lifted a little he may switch his radar back on? I think... argh, I don't know!! Keep him at least until January.

Buy in another out-and-out striker (who can take penalties!) from the JRod + Gallagher sales.

That would give us 3 proper strikers, with some AM options assuming we keep Redmond, Sims, Boufal, Tadic, Hesketh & JWP.

I'd sell Gabbi, Austin and Long and get in Defoe,King and Niasse (if Hull go down, which seems likely and Marco is appointed manager here)

Most here will be suprised at selling at the suggestion to sell Gabbi but I think he was a flash in the pan in his 1st few games for us has done nothing since and he kinda looks out of sorts and fustrated as games go on.

Defoe and Josh King are proven goal scorers in this league and Niasse has shown good pace and strength and in recent games for Hull, and can cause defences alot of problems

Thank god you're not in charge of our recruitment.

You call Gabbi a "flash in the pan" & call for King. I presume from that you don't consider King a flash in the pan. Before this season he'd played 123 league games and scored 12 goals, how can you be sure this isn't his "flash in the pan"? I don't call one season of 16 goals a "proven premier league goal scorer", and ****ing Defoe is too old & will want too much money. As for Niasse, he was ****ing woeful at Everton, again is his Hull form, if you can call it that, not a flash in the pan.

1) Rodriguez ( hasn't looked anything like the same player as he was before the injury.)

2) Austin (I just don't think he is at all suited to a side that plays one up front.)

Long. I liked Long & i'd keep him. The stuff he does for the team is excellent. His goal tally last season was excellent. This season in front of goal's been a disaster but don't see him doing it twice in a row.

I'd keep Gallagher. He's a different option and has done well on loan. Deserves a chance to see if he can cut it.

Obviously keep Gabbi.

1) Rodriguez ( hasn't looked anything like the same player as he was before the injury.)

2) Austin (I just don't think he is at all suited to a side that plays one up front.)

Long. I liked Long & i'd keep him. The stuff he does for the team is excellent. His goal tally last season was excellent. This season in front of goal's been a disaster but don't see him doing it twice in a row.

I'd keep Gallagher. He's a different option and has done well on loan. Deserves a chance to see if he can cut it.

Obviously keep Gabbi.

Last season was the only one Long has looked anything like prolific at this level, so it's more likely that was the anomaly.

Jay Rod again proved yesterday he has flashes of his old self with another good finish.

This season we just needed a bit more creativeness and better defending, personally I would sell Long and keep the rest, I would however also look at Tadic and Boufal, one of them will have to go and Boufal is new and Puels boy so I think Tadic may leave this summer.

Long is all huff and puff, meat and potatoes, a primitive battering ram. Terrible touch and technique. If he was a band, he'd be Kasabian. He can do a job from the bench as a pest, albeit a rather expensive one. At least he stays relatively free from injury which is more than can be said about the statuesque and perennial tease Austin.

Edited by shurlock

Writing off a 21 year old who virtually every Championship side is busting a gut to sign makes no sense. Not many 6' 4" strikers can fly down the wing like Sam and yet he is being written off because "he scored goals for a relegated side"! Wow!

Agree, another year loan down there would do him good again.