Saints 0 Man Utd 0 - Buildup, Match and over-reactions Thread

Heisenberg

12th time lucky against big 6.

Would like to see us attack them. Sit back and defend deep and they will likely win.

Perhaps try Gabbi and Long up top.

United will rest a number of players so may as well go for it.

COYS

My team...

Forster

Cedric

Cacares

Stephens

Bertrand

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Redmond

Gabbi

Long

Looks good to me. I'd maybe go with JWP ahead of Davis.

As I've said elsewhere. I'd rather see J-Rod and Long playing for us than Tadic & Boufal. They've got more passion and grit. Tadic & Boufal are typical of that type of player - 1 good game in 6 or 7. At least Long J-Rod give 100% every time they pull on the shirt.

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Caceres

Bertrand

Romeu

Clasie

JWP

Redmond

Long/JRod

Gabbiadini

Subs; Hassen, Stephens, Pied, Davis, Boufal, JRod/Long, Austin

Give Austin 20 mins from the bench then start him against Stoke next weekend.

.............Forster

Cedric.Stephens.Yoshida.Bertrand

................Romeu.....................

.......Clasie...........JWP..............

.............Redmond....................

..........Long....Gabbiadini............

Puel classic diamond.

United fans I know recon he'll be playing the reserves/kids

Planning for Europa league but can't rest everyone from now to then. Theirs Spurs and Palace games would justify the weakest teams but hopefully get beat today and know 6th is all they can achieve and league games are meaningless.

Go with virtually the same team that started yesterday, making us physically stronger, except bring in Gabbiadini for Boufal and maybe Cedric for Pied. We need to play a high tempo so leave out Davis and JWP who slow us down just recycling the ball.

United fans I know recon he'll be playing the reserves/kids

They've just lost, so now cannot make the CL. EL is already assured (bastards), and they've recently been picking up injuries almost as regularly we were. Throw in the upcoming EL final, and it would make sense for JM to send out players in nappies. Which means of course he'll pick his strongest team.

Sad to say it but I can't see Boufal getting in the line-up. What is it with us and record signings?

Good question.

You'd think Jose will rest a few and they gave absolutely nothing to play for.

I think we can take this game by the throat.

Can't remember when the last time we did that was but one would hope so, yes. They also have key injuries. Need to get at them and get our midfield up to support. Here's hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My team...

Forster

Cedric

Cacares

Stephens

Bertrand

Rom

Clasie

Davis

Redmond

Gabbi

Long

I'd have JWP for Davis. Otherwise yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------------------FF---------------------

Cedric--Caceres--Yoshi--Bertrand

------------Romeu--Clasie-----------

Gabbiadini--Boufal----Redmond

----------------Rodriguez-----------------

Sub: Hassen, Stephens, McQueen, JWP, Tadic, Long, Davis

--------------------FF---------------------

Cedric--Caceres--Yoshi--Bertrand

------------Romeu--Clasie-----------

Gabbiadini--Boufal----Redmond

----------------Rodriguez-----------------

Sub: Hassen, Stephens, McQueen, JWP, Tadic, Long, Davis

That looks a little suicidal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That looks a little suicidal.

I'm assuming it's a Man U team full of nobodies. If Carrick and Fellaini are in midfield then, yeah, we'd get killed and would concede from a header at some point.

I'm assuming it's a Man U team full of nobodies. If Carrick and Fellaini are in midfield then, yeah, we'd get killed and would concede from a header at some point.

Nobodies could be wannabes with something to prove, and quite dangerous.

Fellaini is suspended isn't he?

Play a system that will best suit Gabbiadini and give him the kind of service that his exceptional talents demand and we'll hurt them.

Now, if the fans could just do their bit for a change and create an atmosphere, that may help to. Good opportunity to give those Cup Final scarves an airing and get them swinging again.

I'd actually assume Jose would use this game as a match that he would field a team closer to his Europa final side (& then rest players for the Palace game).

I think this is the most likely scenario. Jose has said that the Palace game is too close to the final and he will not be able to play anyone in that and Stockholm.

The fact that they will not be able to move from 6th place should help us. I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

I hope we play cacersa with Maya. I trust his experience would help in nullifying man u attackers. ibra injured I think so martial, rashford and mkhitaryan only ones to worry about clearly we won't keep a clean sheet, so let's hope we have enough bottle to attack. Barry and long up front. Redmond jwp wings. classie Rom middle. ryan, maya, carces, Cedric back four. in a 4-4-2.

I'd actually assume Jose would use this game as a match that he would field a team closer to his Europa final side (& then rest players for the Palace game).

I think I'd actually prefer that scenario. The Europa final elect side will have one eye on avoiding injuries, unlike the 'B side' who would be out to prove a point.

Well, that's the straw I'm gonna clutch at anyway.... :)

6 points from the final 2 games leaving us with 51 points and 8th place would be a good season results wise. But lack of home goals and some very dull performances are a worry going into next season when most other teams will improve and I believe 2 of the promoted teams will invest enough to stand a chance of staying up.

6 points from the final 2 games leaving us with 51 points and 8th place would be a good season results wise. But lack of home goals and some very dull performances are a worry going into next season when most other teams will improve and I believe 2 of the promoted teams will invest enough to stand a chance of staying up.

I'd agree I'd be very happy with 51 points.

Why shouldn't we improve too next season? And certainly some clubs will get the summer wrong and regress. Likewise investment isn't everything. You can throw a fortune at random players and not have a team.

But it'll be an interesting discussion as to which teams will struggle and which will be strong next season. Give us something to talk about once there's no boring football to distract us. ?

What Mourinho did yesterday should warrant a FA inquiry, a sanction and a lengthy ban, PL teams should be compelled to put out as strong team as possible under all circumstances and compete seriously.

Just fielding what even he described as "not a team" just eleven players "who don't get to play much" and thereby deliberately throwing the game is not fair to the other 19 clubs in the PL.

I guess a lot of our fans won't care much if he does the same again on Wednesday at St Mary's as it might (but probably won't) allow us to grab two unexpected points but it also cheats the fans who will turn up to watch hoping to see Man U's first team players like Pogba and the clubs around us challenging for 8th place.

Of course I want us to win but I want us to win against the best side Man U can put out like at Wembley.

What Mourinho did yesterday should warrant a FA inquiry, a sanction and a lengthy ban, PL teams should be compelled to put out as strong team as possible under all circumstances and compete seriously.

Just fielding what even he described as "not a team" just eleven players "who don't get to play much" and thereby deliberately throwing the game is not fair to the other 19 clubs in the PL.

I guess a lot of our fans won't care much if he does the same again on Wednesday at St Mary's as it might (but probably won't) allow us to grab two unexpected points but it also cheats the fans who will turn up to watch hoping to see Man U's first team players like Pogba and the clubs around us challenging for 8th place.

Of course I want us to win but I want us to win against the best side Man U can put out like at Wembley.

Yeah, but it's not even really true is it? Look at the team that played. It cost a fortune.

It's just Mourinho covering up his dismal league failings this season by pretending he doesn't care. I hope Ajax tonk them.

In any case, it was a meaningless match for the opposition and doesn't really affect anyone. If you want to see a significant team selection, see what Huddersfield did a couple of weeks ago!

I agree, but we and importantly Puel needs this win.

And hes proved already this season (EFL cup) that our first team can beat other teams reserve teams.

Don't think we have ever gone a full season without 1 league win over a top 6 side?

And don't think AFCB have finished above us for 400 years.

Puel needs this

Rubbish. It was hardly a weak team in terms of players. Tuanzebe was the only inexperienced player. Pogba was unavailable (family bereavement), Fellaini was suspended, Ibra, Rojo and Shaw injured (and others I think). Bringing in de Gea instead of Romero, terrible. We dropped Gabbi, Davis, Tadic, Soares, Redmond and JWP, should we have been sanctioned? Don't give a damn who plays for United on Wednesday, just want to see my team, hopefully winning, I don't go to see opposition players. If United don't put out their best team that's their lookout.

Puel pre United game presser

We have different possibilities with charlie back in the squad

it is good for him to be back in the squad but there is competition with other players

I hope he gets time on the pitch before the end of the season

he needs more intensity as he has been out for a long time

Virgil is running again but will not feature this season

McCarthy is back in training but not available

Not a good time to play man united, they still have good players and a strong squad

many good players will play against us and any game they have a strong team

it will be a very difficult game

this is another game, it has been a long time since the cup final

we are focused on getting the points, not revenge

we have good emotion and energy and we want the points

the last result away gave us the possibility to finish the season strong

we made 7 changes and we got a good result

it was a good intensity in the last game and was happy for the players

this has set us up to finish strong with 2 home games

I cannot be distracted about speculation about my future

I will just remain focused and try to finish strong this season, that is more important

I cannot make comments about that

I have a contract for 3 years, I am happy here and have a good relationship with everyone

we have to improve, of course

no, the owners have not given assurances about next season, we do out talking on the pitch

we have a very good identity in our play

too many times our identity has not given the rewards

we have the 2nd youngest side in the league and more international players

we have to finish well in the last 2 games, that is a must

I do not know why the fans are unhappy with the style

we create many possibilities, we play an attractive style

I have to tell fans this is a young team and they will improve

Redmond has now played for England

we all must keep a good focus, but there is speculation

we have not spoken about what happens with the team in the summer

I will just remain focused about the last 2 games and give the fans the best end to the season

it is important to keep our best players, we can play many players but our best players must stay

With Manchester united, we have played many games and it is difficult to keep the team fresh

all of the players have improved with me this season, just look at them and you can see it

we are focused team and it is important that I can continue this work and carry on next season

People are always telling me I may be leaving the club, I find it strange as all of the players have improved with me

it is what I do, me, my staff and we have given good things to Southampton and made the player better

We will see with the owner/directors about next season but it is important that i continue this project

I am an experienced manager, I know how football works with speculation

I just have to keep going and stick to our identity

The opponent on Wednesday is not important, as they will rotate

we have to be happy with our identity and have the answers

we play with good possession and create many chances

and this is important and give the players the environment to continue to improve

there we go. LOTS of questions about his future and you can tell, not even he knows if he will be here past the summer.

Edited by Batman

Yeah, but it's not even really true is it? Look at the team that played. It cost a fortune.

It's just Mourinho covering up his dismal league failings this season by pretending he doesn't care. I hope Ajax tonk them.

In any case, it was a meaningless match for the opposition and doesn't really affect anyone. If you want to see a significant team selection, see what Huddersfield did a couple of weeks ago!

Lucky lucky Redknapp.

Give Austin 20 mins from the bench then start him against Stoke next weekend.

I can't see the point in playing a player, that has been injured for most of the season, just for the last 2 games. Say he gets injured again and he will lose part of the pre season.

If I was the club I would send him on holiday and make him come back early for pre season, to work on his fitness.

Is it just me, or did Puel sound very defensive?

Hardly surprising he probably feels he has a solid first season in English football, that while could be improved on, certainly doesn't merit getting sacked and yet all the press seemingly want to talk about is speculation on his future.