Saints 0 Man Utd 0 - Buildup, Match and over-reactions Thread

Heisenberg

No Pogba, No Ibrahimovic, focus on the Europa League final, likely to play their reserves/fringe players.

I look forward to seeing how we fail to win this one. I have never seen us beat Man Utd in person, so apologies beforehand.

I just went with a straight forward saints win. £37 on returns £100.

United will be weak and any 1st team players will not risk missing a European cup final.

Hoping for a comfortable 3-1

I don't get this United are playing their second string team so they will be pushovers thing. Why would they not be playing to win? They have next season's career ambitions to want to play their very best.

Just don't let us (and our footballers) get complacent. We always lose when we do.

Reminds me of Man City a few seasons ago when they played a second string team and we smashed them.

Could go either way but it really depends on what second string means. Fellani, Mata, Rooney, Martial might all play to rest Herrera, Lindegard, Mykitarian and Rashford.

I fail to see how a supposedly 'reserve' team sheet is any better for us.

It'll be tough, depends on who wants it more, blah blah blah.

I trust that Pied (based on one game, yes I'm aware), Romeu, Bertrand, Gabbiadini and Davis will put in their (at least now) consistently quality, controlled, hard working performances. Want to put Yoshida, Stephens and JWP in that list but hesitated.

It just depends on the likes of Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Long, Forster etc. to have 'on' days rather than 'off' days...if that happens and they are calm, creative, hard working and not giving away stupid balls/mistakes, we will win this match something like 2-1.

Wouldn't surprise me if the pitch was under about 10 feet of water by kick off.

I remember a situation like this once before and they even turned on the sprinklers just before kick off.

I do believe our pitch has a great draining system so no matter how much rain falls it will be a dry pitch.

I don't get this United are playing their second string team so they will be pushovers thing. Why would they not be playing to win? They have next season's career ambitions to want to play their very best.

Just don't let us (and our footballers) get complacent. We always lose when we do.

They can't move up a position from where they are, and won't go down a position either. So why risk injury's with an important match coming up.

They can't move up a position from where they are, and won't go down a position either. So why risk injury's with an important match coming up.

This ^

+ Jose is encouraging his players to take no risks (watch any of his interviews last 2 weeks) this game is an obligation for United, makes zero difference to the season for them and they will do the minimum necessary to get through it.

We will go full strength as being 8th is worth £4m more than being 10th

I liked what Pied and Caceres brougtht to the game last week, considering they have both not played for a long long time I thoguht they were good.

I like that as a CB he was bringing the ball out a lot and would be good to see him and virgil strike up a partnership next season if we choose to keep him.

Be great to finish 8th and be 'the Best of the Rest'. Realistically 7th (based on the established order being the top 6) is the best we can hope to be going forward. That means catching up with Everton next season!

It will only take a good summer from one of the teams in and around the 40pts mark to close that gap next year, what with the extra games Everton will have....it may not be as straight forward for them. I think we're the side with the least to do to make up the gap, I think we have a lot more quality than the teams around us. You just have to question if we're getting the best from it...

But then equally, a bad summer...and you could be going the opposite way.

It will only take a good summer from one of the teams in and around the 40pts mark to close that gap next year, what with the extra games Everton will have....it may not be as straight forward for them. I think we're the side with the least to do to make up the gap, I think we have a lot more quality than the teams around us. You just have to question if we're getting the best from it...

Let's hope Les has been debunked of the myth that we have the best midfield options in the PL for a start...

Let's hope Les has been debunked of the myth that we have the best midfield options in the PL for a start...

Misguided comment by him, he should draft out what he's going to say before he says it! I don't think he meant it as it came across, but never mind.

Assuming Koeman betters his woeful attempt at qualifying for the group stage here....

Misguided comment by him, he should draft out what he's going to say before he says it! I don't think he meant it as it came across, but never mind.

I thought so to at the time figured it had just come across badly but two transfer windows later we still only have one proper DM in the squad and our centre midfield looks poor when JWP doesn't play so now I think Les actually believed it....

Well I don't think Shane Long will be in the squad tonight. Just seen him out in Eastleigh on crutches.

Thought he looked in a lot of pain towards the end of the Boro game.

No surprise there then ... but a shame. Would've liked to see Shane running at them in the rain. Might have even scored for once

Shame. I'd like to see him start alongside Gabbiadini. Pace could be useful.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I actually think Gabbiadini and Austin would be a good partnership.

Gabbiadini has the pace to cause the defense trouble and Austin, whilst its not his best trait, has the aerial ability to hold the ball up / challenge long forward balls with Gabbiadini picking up the pieces.

The trouble is, is Claude brave enough to risk not having a bank of 4 and 5 against a top 6 side?

Would still like to see us try 3-4-3, but can't see that happening at this late stage of the season.

2-1 - Austin & Bertrand - Rashford

Thought he looked in a lot of pain towards the end of the Boro game.

No surprise there then ... but a shame. Would've liked to see Shane running at them in the rain. Might have even scored for once

Indeed, his first touch might have skidded 40 yards off the wet surface and slipped through De Gea's gloves.

Indeed, his first touch might have skidded 40 yards off the wet surface and slipped through De Gea's gloves.

Probably quite likely he'd miss and hit De Gea in Manchester ;)

apparently, it's the young kid Pereria playing in goal tonight - De Gea didn't travel. I'd say this is a good opportunity to test him, get some shots in, put him under pressure etc, but I won't hold my breath.

Initially was not going as I was staying at cricket, then with rain decided to go as no one was going to use my season ticket. A few minutes ago had an invite from a friend to be there at 5.15 to join him in a corporate box with all that goes with it:) No brainer! Hope we play better than we have been at home. Put out the team that started the cup final!

Probably quite likely he'd miss and hit De Gea in Manchester ;)

apparently, it's the young kid Pereria playing in goal tonight - De Gea didn't travel. I'd say this is a good opportunity to test him, get some shots in, put him under pressure etc, but I won't hold my breath.

That is a big bonus, De Gea has arguably saved them on their last 2-3 visits here. Mind you, as you say, any advantage relies on us actually showing something approaching attacking intent and testing Pereira. No excuses for negative tactics tonight, fast pressing football and let's have a proper go.

When has a Premier League game ever been "rained off"? It isn't a common occurrence, as pitches all have superb drainage systems.

We had a home game at SMS against Palace called off due to rain, cant remember if it was league or cup.

We had a home game at SMS against Palace called off due to rain, cant remember if it was league or cup.

Absolutely, remember it well, hence why I asked.

Also, before Birmingham in the Championship the heavens absolutely opened, a Steward I was friendly with confirmed that had it continued the game would have been postponed.

When has a Premier League game ever been "rained off"? It isn't a common occurrence, as pitches all have superb drainage systems.

Wasn't Premier League but Man City had a CL game rained off this season.

You remind me of Puel. Dull.

Bertrand likely just rested as Stephens and Cedric have been lately. He has played every game for a while now.

Big game for Targett, he always looks short of PL class for me, especially in a back four when required to defend and attack - be interesting to see how he does against good players like Mata and Mhikitaryan.

Is Puel on this planet ?

Don't dare have a good game playing for this guy - you will be dropped for sure next match!

Does he have a massive ego or does he enjoy ****ing his players off, unless your name is Tadic of course or Forster.

Surely 10 of the 11 were nailed on starters in this game? To me at least...

Is Puel on this planet ?

Don't dare have a good game playing for this guy - you will be dropped for sure next match!

Does he have a massive ego or does he enjoy ****ing his players off, unless your name is Tadic of course or Forster.

He does it just to annoy a few posters on here. Works a treat every time.