Season 2016-2017 My 57th Season following the Saints one of the Best

John B

I started following the Saints in about 1961 and this season has been one of the best

Top 10 Probable Top 8 Possible in PL

A Cup Final only the Fourth I can remember

European Football which I must admit we should have done better in.

Looking forward to next season when hopefully we will score a few more goals and will not have injuries to key players

Yeah, we've got no European games to worry about so I hope we'll make a real effort in the cups. Great to get to the final but we threw away a chance at the FA cup putting out a reserve side.

With VVD back and hopefully still playing for us, maybe one good signing and I think we're on course for a good season.

I done roughly half the away games & have a ST each season and I'd say this season has been pretty good. Under Ron & Poch there were some woeful away performances, we've been far more consistent away from home, but home performances have been average. We played really well in the San Siro & the cup final and really should have won both. Personally I feel that if Boufall produces next season, we could be a really good side, we just miss that bit of magic. I don't hold out much hope & if I had to put money on it would say he'll end up like Gaston. The slight hope I have is Riyad Mahrez took a season to get up to speed with English football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad some have enjoyed the season that much. For me its been quite the opposite, a really frustrating season - obviously with the exception of the cupfinal. But besides that the large part was not as enjoyable as i would have wished for. I had much higher expectation of the european adventure, the PL campaign and FA cup.

I really hope next season is gonna be far far better. I will remember the cupfinal - the rest naaah.

I really hope next season is gonna be far far better. I will remember the cupfinal - the rest naaah.

Boscombe away was great, as was first appearance at Olympic Stadium. Watford, Sunderland & West Brom away were as good as any away game under Koeman.

Boscombe away was great, as was first appearance at Olympic Stadium. Watford, Sunderland & West Brom away were as good as any away game under Koeman.

Pony. Better than Chelsea, Spurs, United etc?

:lol:

Apart from Anfield in the cup , Wembley, inter and sparta at home and my trip to Prague (football not included) I've found this season one of my least enjoyable since I started following Saints !

Apart from Anfield in the cup , Wembley, inter and sparta at home and my trip to Prague (football not included) I've found this season one of my least enjoyable since I started following Saints !

Agreed. If you ignore the best bits, it's been absolutely ****.

I agree with you, except that I went to Milan instead of Prague. The only away game I could do was the win at Arsenal and the vast majority of the home games have been turgidly depressingly negative affairs. And we haven't even got close to qualifying for Europe.

Quite a few home games have been frustrating. I've certainly enjoyed the away days more.

But I will not forget Wembley in a hurry. Great day, we played well and should have won.

And I'll never forget this season for the experiences of trips to Milan, Prague and Israel. Doubt I'll ever do that again supporting Saints.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We were one unlucky defeat away from it, that's pretty close imo

Well I think our European campaign this season was very underwhelming, no away goals in three games, but even then we'd only have progressed to the next round and based on our earlier performances I wouldn't have expected much from us. I was, of course, thinking about next season and we are miles away from qualifying for that.

Not being picky or at all demanding then are you... Think about what you just wrote.

I started following the Saints in about 1961 and this season has been one of the best

Top 10 Probable Top 8 Possible in PL

A Cup Final only the Fourth I can remember

European Football which I must admit we should have done better in.

Looking forward to next season when hopefully we will score a few more goals and will not have injuries to key players

This completely summarises my view. For those fans who travel it's been fantastic and I understand the frustration re a number of home performances which drives the sentiment. Puel will want to work on that in the summer. But he should be very proud of how we have done on the road

Not being picky or at all demanding then are you... Think about what you just wrote.

Well considering not 1 of those were league games and that's where the majority of my money was spent I don't think so no !

We've gone backwards this season for sure. Not all Puel's fault, but I don't think he's the man for us. The EFL cup run was great but many teams have made it through to the final before. That aside, there just haven't been many highlights. The Europa League was a major disappointment and Puel's rotation has been massively frustrating.

Quite simply, there has been a lack of entertainment and very few memorable games. I am struggling to think of any great wins; Inter Milan at home was good but that aside? Under Koeman and Poch we played some great stuff and beat all the top sides along the way. I am aware we may still finish 8th, but I feel that distorts the real picture; the way the league has been this year has been top 6, Everton and then very little between 8th to 17th.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We've gone backwards this season for sure. Not all Puel's fault, but I don't think he's the man for us. The EFL cup run was great but many teams have made it through to the final before. That aside, there just haven't been many highlights. The Europa League was a major disappointment and Puel's rotation has been massively frustrating.

Quite simply, there has been a lack of entertainment and very few memorable games. I am struggling to think of any great wins; Inter Milan at home was good but that aside? Under Koeman and Poch we played some great stuff and beat all the top sides along the way. I am aware we may still finish 8th, but I feel that distorts the real picture; the way the league has been this year has been top 6, Everton and then very little between 8th to 17th.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Inter Milan was a great night but even then we relied on an own goal from them.

Inter Milan was a great night but even then we relied on an own goal from them.
but that is the point of ths season, in the summer we were crying out where were the goals going to come from when we sold Mane and Pelle. Long is a fine team player but has never been prolific, Jrod does not look the same plyer. Had we had a decent forward who put the chances we created at the San Siro etc the season would have looked far better.

The reason the games were so turgid was because the high number of goals being scored has not been there. Gabbiadini put the ball in the net for us and all of a sudden it looked like we were a better side when all it was having a better finisher.

For me Mane was a player who got you on the edge of your seat and however poor we were paying he was likely to do something marvellous, that is gone although I firmly believe Redmond will do that more next season (if we keep him)

Also I felt the performance at home to Liverpool in the EFL was a wonderful performance and better than most I can remember

but that is the point of ths season, in the summer we were crying out where were the goals going to come from when we sold Mane and Pelle. Long is a fine team player but has never been prolific, Jrod does not look the same plyer. Had we had a decent forward who put the chances we created at the San Siro etc the season would have looked far better.

The reason the games were so turgid was because the high number of goals being scored has not been there. Gabbiadini put the ball in the net for us and all of a sudden it looked like we were a better side when all it was having a better finisher.

For me Mane was a player who got you on the edge of your seat and however poor we were paying he was likely to do something marvellous, that is gone although I firmly believe Redmond will do that more next season (if we keep him)

Also I felt the performance at home to Liverpool in the EFL was a wonderful performance and better than most I can remember

I put the paucity of home goals down to a reluctance to assault the opposition in numbers of more than one.

Liverpool at home was a good result but I have seen many better over the years.