We MUST get SIlva in

washsaint

The guy is an absolute genius and the total opposite of Puel.

He has had Hull playing attacking, scintillating football and the results speak for themselves.

Why the love affair with this guy? He brought in 8 or 9 signings in January and the way they play is dull and insipid - a game they have to win today and they don't muster a single shot on goal.

Then the usual suspects will say 'he got a big win at xxxx' while conveniently forgetting the win home and away Puel engineered in the semis.

If Chelsea lost Kante, SPurs lost Kane and Arsenal lost Sanchez for half the season they would struggle - as we have losing VVD to injury.

What a dud he's been the last two weeks, when it counted the most. They've lost 6-0 to two teams fighting for relegation along with them. Puel would be crucified if he did that. He was lucky to tie us also. So it should have been 0-7 in 3 games.

To judge him at Hull is pretty harsh as they're a shocking side. My objection to him is the negative style he plays, if the Puel out brigade think we're negative this season, wait till he's manager, and his links to Jorge Mendes. When he got the Hull job journos we're discussing the appointment on Sunday Supplement, saying that Mendes had been touting him around English football for months, as he wanted someone at a club he could get players in to. Recently I heard another pundit stating that "the truth about Hulls transfers in Jan will come out one day". I don't know how many of their Jan signings were Mendes clients , but it looks like he's trying to use Wolves in the same way. I'd rather not take the chance he'd have undue influence on the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy is an absolute genius and the total opposite of Puel.

He has had Hull playing attacking, scintillating football and the results speak for themselves.

Why the love affair with this guy? He brought in 8 or 9 signings in January and the way they play is dull and insipid - a game they have to win today and they don't muster a single shot on goal.

Then the usual suspects will say 'he got a big win at xxxx' while conveniently forgetting the win home and away Puel engineered in the semis.

If Chelsea lost Kante, SPurs lost Kane and Arsenal lost Sanchez for half the season they would struggle - as we have losing VVD to injury.

Hahahahaha

Weren't you on all the Puel threads insisting that any reaction to defeats against West Brom, West Ham and Swansea was a knee-jerk reaction and that you were well above all that?

Can't be true. That'd make you a thick hypocrite wouldn't it? :)

I'm convinced that we should dispense of Puel's services, but I'm not convinced that Silva is the right man for the job.

Good post. Plenty of other options either for short term gain or longer term planning.

We need a tactician but one who is motivational and can engage with the fans as well as the players.

When you're a club of our size you need a manager who can both squeeze every last drop of talent out of the squad but also attract players who perhaps could go to slightly better teams. This means that they must have an established reputation in the game either as a manager or as a player, but in all likelihood for us it will be the latter that we can get as if you have a big rep as a manager you will get bigger jobs.

I think the decision that Les Reed must make in the next couple of weeks is THE biggest test of his credentials here since his appointment. The installation of Puel divided opinion right from the start but 9/10 months later the vast majority seem to be against him. After 6 years of total excitement climbing back up the league positions we were bound to have a set-back at some point. The higher you go the harder it becomes. At the start of the season I was hopeful and sort of expectant of a bit of transition season given Puels supposed skills in player development but although I think from this point of view he has done an ok job (JWP, Redmond, Stephens, Sims, McQueen have all benefited and improved) the way in which he has achieved this is the problem for me.

We are not a club who is going to challenge the top 6 every single year although we should be challenging on a game by game basis, and so the important bit for fans is enjoying the football we play. There have been the odd moments of exquisite football but tonnes of drab side to side, back to the GK, possession without penetration football and this is not what Southampton fans need.

Whoever the manager is who comes in to replace Puel needs to play a good style that will excite the fans....the majority would rather lose 4-3 than 1-0 of course but at no time this season have we looked like scoring more than 1 let alone 2!!

FWIW my shortlist would be;

David Wagner

Jokankovic

Howe

Stamm

G Neville

We will see......

Conversely, Big Sam comes in and not only gets CP out of relegation, but they may end up at 40 pts or more.

They have near identical points per game, but one of them has a garbage squad (not that I'm advocating managerial changes/etc)

Good post. Plenty of other options either for short term gain or longer term planning.

We need a tactician but one who is motivational and can engage with the fans as well as the players.

When you're a club of our size you need a manager who can both squeeze every last drop of talent out of the squad but also attract players who perhaps could go to slightly better teams. This means that they must have an established reputation in the game either as a manager or as a player, but in all likelihood for us it will be the latter that we can get as if you have a big rep as a manager you will get bigger jobs.

I think the decision that Les Reed must make in the next couple of weeks is THE biggest test of his credentials here since his appointment. The installation of Puel divided opinion right from the start but 9/10 months later the vast majority seem to be against him. After 6 years of total excitement climbing back up the league positions we were bound to have a set-back at some point. The higher you go the harder it becomes. At the start of the season I was hopeful and sort of expectant of a bit of transition season given Puels supposed skills in player development but although I think from this point of view he has done an ok job (JWP, Redmond, Stephens, Sims, McQueen have all benefited and improved) the way in which he has achieved this is the problem for me.

We are not a club who is going to challenge the top 6 every single year although we should be challenging on a game by game basis, and so the important bit for fans is enjoying the football we play. There have been the odd moments of exquisite football but tonnes of drab side to side, back to the GK, possession without penetration football and this is not what Southampton fans need.

Whoever the manager is who comes in to replace Puel needs to play a good style that will excite the fans....the majority would rather lose 4-3 than 1-0 of course but at no time this season have we looked like scoring more than 1 let alone 2!!

FWIW my shortlist would be;

David Wagner

Jokankovic

Howe

Stamm

G Neville

We will see......

Stam lol

I'm also not convinced by Silva.

In a game they had to win his team had ZERO shots on target.

Also I like teams to defend set plays with man to man marking and a 2nd player to block the run of players who are good in the air e.g. benteke.

I hate ZONAL Marking.

This is what Sky said about CP 2nd goal today.

“Again this is down to zonal marking and flooding the six-yard box. Why would you give Christian Benteke a free run to go and attack the ball? He’s completely unencumbered. He starts on the penalty spot and there’s no pressure on him at all. Everyone goal-side is marking their zone and Benteke cannot believes his luck. If you give him a run on the ball he's liable to win it every time."

I'm convinced that we should dispense of Puel's services, but I'm not convinced that Silva is the right man for the job.

Should only change if we can bring in a better option.

Like you though, not convinced by Silva, and doubt that those considered a truly better option if available (for example Emery or Tuchel) would be interested, that's assuming the club in the current takeover limbo have the drive and ambition to go for such a manager.

It's all very hypocritical, our fans moaned like hell that Poch & Koeman were taken from us and yet we want to nick managers from other clubs. I think it's arrogant to keep mentioning Howe, to think he might want to come here, he will be loved there whatever happens whereas our fans would want him sacked after a few bad results.

The Puel-out mob remind me of the old Nicholl-out mob. Same mentality, and possibly the same outcome if they were to get their way. Which they won't, thank goodness.

the same was said on here about those wanting Adkins moved on. the next fergie and the greatest English manager of this generation etc

the same was said on here about those wanting Adkins moved on. the next fergie and the greatest English manager of this generation etc

And who's today he wouldn't have been the next Fergie? We'll probably never know. He fitted well here and never had the same resources or backing at Reading or Sheffield United. With their resources, those clubs would have struggled even with Fergie in charge. That said, I liked Nigel but he lacked the 'fear factor' Fergie imposed on players.

I remember you saying mighty Marco is the man, perhaps you were drinking too

I think I offered Silva as an alternative to Koeman last summer and since Puel hasn't worked out i've offered forward Silva as a possible replacement again. The fact he's done v.well at Hull has probably encouraged a few to notice him now.

I think there are tons of managers I'd take over Puel so doesn't have to be him.

Reports are that Puel is leaving, combination of horrendous football style, him being super dull and the rift with players... So only sensible to chat about his replacement options now?

Whose your pick mate? Top 3?

If we are to get rid of Puel, then the only man I would want to replace him is Eddie Howe. English and attacking minded. Would be a big step up for him and maybe he wouldn't be up for it, but what he has done with Boscombe over the last few seasons is nothing short of miraculous

If we are to get rid of Puel, then the only man I would want to replace him is Eddie Howe. English and attacking minded. Would be a big step up for him and maybe he wouldn't be up for it, but what he has done with Boscombe over the last few seasons is nothing short of miraculous

Not sure how it would be a big step up. Been pretty level with us through the league campaign

As for Silva, was today down to poor management or crap players? Personally I thought Silva looked beat as soon as that first goal went in after 2 mins. Didn't look good and I don't think I would have him over Puel if I am honest

I'm also not convinced by Silva.

In a game they had to win his team had ZERO shots on target.

Also I like teams to defend set plays with man to man marking and a 2nd player to block the run of players who are good in the air e.g. benteke.

I hate ZONAL Marking.

This is what Sky said about CP 2nd goal today.

Do you think having men on the posts is a good idea? Because that's a form of zonal marking. Zonal is easy to criticise because when it doesn't work it's so obvious and looks glaringly bad. But that doesn't mean it isn't good. If you're man marking Benteke and he gets half a yard ahead, it's the same outcome.

Although I take your point about letting him have a free run, I think a mixture can be effective. Players have zones but one or two attackers are singled out for an additional man. Benteke would be one requiring such attention.

Not sure how it would be a big step up. Been pretty level with us through the league campaign

Step up mentally I am thinking, we are obviously a "bigger" club, leaving them to come to us would give him enormous grief, would he want the aggro? Eddie is already a legend there, why would he come here?

I'm prepared to give Claude another year because chopping and changing is never a good policy. But if he goes, and if Fulham fail to win the playoffs, Jovanovic please. No idea how well we'd do but we'd certainly see positive attacking football.

By that logic, Mane going to Liverpool was a step down in the summer?

Let's not play silly buggers here, Saints are a step up from Bompey in the same way that Liverpool are a step up from Saints.

By that logic, Mane going to Liverpool was a step down in the summer?

Let's not play silly buggers here, Saints are a step up from Bompey in the same way that Liverpool are a step up from Saints.

The gap between us and Liverpool is bigger than us and AFCB.

Reed works tirelessly each summer to ensure that.

We can't simply take AFCB players and staff..... No chance

The Puel-out mob remind me of the old Nicholl-out mob. Same mentality, and possibly the same outcome if they were to get their way. Which they won't, thank goodness.

There was also a Lawrie out mob as well. Good job we gave him more than a season.

the clamour from some to get him in is quite odd. Okay he did a reasonable job at Hull keeping a dreadful squad in with a fighting chance of staying up, but ultimately he didn't and in their two most important games of the season lost 0-2 at home against one of the worst teams the premier league have ever seen and 4-0 away against a team two places above them. His previous record is pretty unremarkable. Whereas Puel despite being with three of our key players for half the season has taken us to a cup final and likely top half finish. Still one is of latin decent, looks good in a suit and has a good crop of hair, the other is a supposedly boring Frenchman who a lot of people didn't like from day one.