We MUST get SIlva in

washsaint

By that logic, Mane going to Liverpool was a step down in the summer?

Let's not play silly buggers here, Saints are a step up from Bompey in the same way that Liverpool are a step up from Saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh, perhaps, but it doesn't offer job stability.

If Bournemouth get relegated, he'll still have a job with them.

If we dropped into 15th, he would be out the door.

There is no reason for him to come here, bar getting the sack at Bournemouth.

No, I hate to say it, but Puel is what we have and it looks like another season of him. Just for the stability.

The guy is an absolute genius and the total opposite of Puel.

He has had Hull playing attacking, scintillating football and the results speak for themselves.

SO you want him.

Why the love affair with this guy? He brought in 8 or 9 signings in January and the way they play is dull and insipid - a game they have to win today and they don't muster a single shot on goal.

So, you DON'T want him.

Then the usual suspects will say 'he got a big win at xxxx' while conveniently forgetting the win home and away Puel engineered in the semis.

If Chelsea lost Kante, SPurs lost Kane and Arsenal lost Sanchez for half the season they would struggle - as we have losing VVD to injury.

And you back Puel?

I don't know if i'm for washsaint or agin 'im.

I'm confused and I need a drink.

IF we finish 8th, I don't think any reasons for wanting Puel to go are valid. I trust the board are more sane than some of our fans and will let him progress next season.

It's really not difficult to understand that if he goes it won't be because of our results. It'll be other factors such as fan dissatisfaction (I would say, from what I've seen on here, twitter and people I've spoken to it's about 60/70% that want him gone), player dissatisfaction and seemingly lack of identity...

I'm very much in the camp that I think Puel should go, I'm not convinced Silva is the best man to replace him tho.

Emery (assuming he leaves PSG) for me. Would need to break the bank, so to say, to get him though I would suspect.

the clamour from some to get him in is quite odd. Okay he did a reasonable job at Hull keeping a dreadful squad in with a fighting chance of staying up, but ultimately he didn't and in their two most important games of the season lost 0-2 at home against one of the worst teams the premier league have ever seen and 4-0 away against a team two places above them. His previous record is pretty unremarkable. Whereas Puel despite being with three of our key players for half the season has taken us to a cup final and likely top half finish. Still one is of latin decent, looks good in a suit and has a good crop of hair, the other is a supposedly boring Frenchman who a lot of people didn't like from day one.

This...apart from the bit about looking good in a suit.

Although I find his interviews etc terrible, and the football he dishes up is not the way I like to see football player.....I would only get rid of him this summer, if he has lost the dressing room.

If the existing players are happy to play for him, and new recruits are happy to come here and play for him...then crack on. If not, get rid.

IF we finish 8th, I don't think any reasons for wanting Puel to go are valid. I trust the board are more sane than some of our fans and will let him progress next season.

High level review: Being 8th is good....

How many points behind 7th (Europe)?

1-3 points = close, shame we didn't beat Hull

4-8 points: home form cost us

9-15: too much of a gap, poor

15-20 points = dreadful

Combined with:

How many points ahead of 17th? (relegation)

15-20 points: no issues

10-14: must do better

1-10: poor and a worry

Good post. Plenty of other options either for short term gain or longer term planning.

We need a tactician but one who is motivational and can engage with the fans as well as the players.

When you're a club of our size you need a manager who can both squeeze every last drop of talent out of the squad but also attract players who perhaps could go to slightly better teams. This means that they must have an established reputation in the game either as a manager or as a player, but in all likelihood for us it will be the latter that we can get as if you have a big rep as a manager you will get bigger jobs.

I think the decision that Les Reed must make in the next couple of weeks is THE biggest test of his credentials here since his appointment. The installation of Puel divided opinion right from the start but 9/10 months later the vast majority seem to be against him. After 6 years of total excitement climbing back up the league positions we were bound to have a set-back at some point. The higher you go the harder it becomes. At the start of the season I was hopeful and sort of expectant of a bit of transition season given Puels supposed skills in player development but although I think from this point of view he has done an ok job (JWP, Redmond, Stephens, Sims, McQueen have all benefited and improved) the way in which he has achieved this is the problem for me.

We are not a club who is going to challenge the top 6 every single year although we should be challenging on a game by game basis, and so the important bit for fans is enjoying the football we play. There have been the odd moments of exquisite football but tonnes of drab side to side, back to the GK, possession without penetration football and this is not what Southampton fans need.

Whoever the manager is who comes in to replace Puel needs to play a good style that will excite the fans....the majority would rather lose 4-3 than 1-0 of course but at no time this season have we looked like scoring more than 1 let alone 2!!

FWIW my shortlist would be;

David Wagner

Jokankovic

Howe

Stamm

G Neville

We will see......

I would agree with your assessment of our situation totally, although not your suggestions for a replacement with the exception of Jokankovic, who would be a possible target if Fulham don't progress in the play-offs. Another name mentioned often is Carlos Carvalhal at Sheffield Wednesday, who appears to have managed 16 different clubs in a 16 year managerial career !!!!

15-20 points = dreadful

Combined with:

Put another way :

8th is 8th !

7 teams above you !

12 teams below you !

the clamour from some to get him in is quite odd. Okay he did a reasonable job at Hull keeping a dreadful squad in with a fighting chance of staying up, but ultimately he didn't and in their two most important games of the season lost 0-2 at home against one of the worst teams the premier league have ever seen and 4-0 away against a team two places above them. His previous record is pretty unremarkable. Whereas Puel despite being with three of our key players for half the season has taken us to a cup final and likely top half finish. Still one is of latin decent, looks good in a suit and has a good crop of hair, the other is a supposedly boring Frenchman who a lot of people didn't like from day one.

I'm genuinely starting to believe the Puel Out brigade has been founded on a subconscious dislike for Puel's hairstyle, which I'll admit is awful.

I have seen some really dull, turgid football this season. Sometimes it doesn't feel like entertainment at all so there is a part of me who wants Puel replaced. He's uninspiring when interviewed too.

BUT & this is a big but, I don't see who we get that is going to be any better.

Any team would miss VVD. We've had some bad luck with injuries this season too. He was not at fault for the Fonte situation. Les Reed has to take blame for that one.

I don't think he helped himself with the selections in Europe, I don't like the diamond. He clearly has his favourites.

So when I weigh it up, I'm not convinced one way or another.

I think he's done exactly the job the club want him too. More young players in & around the squad. Top half finish. Cup Final. Only thing they could moan about is our progress in Europe & the dull football.

That makes land on the side of giving him more time.

If by November we are in the bottom 3 & playing boring football & there is a credible replacement we can take a differing view.

Although I find his interviews etc terrible, and the football he dishes up is not the way I like to see football player.....I would only get rid of him this summer, if he has lost the dressing room.

If the existing players are happy to play for him, and new recruits are happy to come here and play for him...then crack on. If not, get rid.

So he's gone then

So he's gone then

Has he lost it or its a just a couple of players? I imagine those like Romeu, JWP, McQueen, Yoshida and Stephens are all pretty happy with the way the season has paned out.

Tadic will be upset but then when isn't he? Jrod and Long probably are but that smacks of two players trying to cover up their own very obvious failings this season by laying the blame on the manager.

I have seen some really dull, turgid football this season. Sometimes it doesn't feel like entertainment at all so there is a part of me who wants Puel replaced. He's uninspiring when interviewed too.

BUT & this is a big but, I don't see who we get that is going to be any better.

Any team would miss VVD. We've had some bad luck with injuries this season too. He was not at fault for the Fonte situation. Les Reed has to take blame for that one.

I don't think he helped himself with the selections in Europe, I don't like the diamond. He clearly has his favourites.

So when I weigh it up, I'm not convinced one way or another.

I think he's done exactly the job the club want him too. More young players in & around the squad. Top half finish. Cup Final. Only thing they could moan about is our progress in Europe & the dull football.

That makes land on the side of giving him more time.

If by November we are in the bottom 3 & playing boring football & there is a credible replacement we can take a differing view.

Sums up my feelings. Find his media output and his brand of football insipid which is why I was strongly opposed to his appointment in the first place but I don't think Les Reed has helped him one bit.

Les has done very well in the last few windows bar the last two but the last two by contrast have been diabolical, even MLG thought the last one was bad! Injuries haven't helped (Vardy enemy #1 V Leicester next season) too but if he stays he has to be told to sharply improve the goal threat and entertainment at home games because I've seen some junk, or he leaves now.

That has to be backed with freedom to wheel and deal - J Rod, Long, Boufal, Tadic and anyone else - and bring some new faces in who can beat players or consistently play in dangerous areas for the opposition. It doesn't matter who it is in the midfield and forward areas, if Puel or a new manager thinks we can do better than ship them off whether Les likes it or not. The Redmond as a striker debacle and lack of replacement for Fonte made me doubt Claude's independence from Les and if he stays that's another area he must develop in if he's going to have any fanbase credibility (bar a handful of loyalists on here).

There was the odd bad home game under MP and Ronald but nothing regularly that dire. Away we've been better and more solid.

Tadic, Long and JRod have had very poor seasons which has greatly affected the team as their job is to score goals. Record signing Boufal has underachieved, and we have obviously missed VVD and Austin.

However the progression in game time of Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and JWP can only be a good thing going forward.

The regulars in the team have held us together, albeit having off games now and again , which is to be expected.

I do wonder if the new breed of Premier League supporter who have joined us since we got the double promotion have unrealistic expectations for a provincial club.

Having been around since 1992 I agree that this season is as good as any, with the major failing not being anything that a goal scorer from both the strikers position and midfield would not cure.

Ship out the high wage earning dross and bring in some hungry players and Puel will be fine going forward.

Tadic, Long and JRod have had very poor seasons which has greatly affected the team as their job is to score goals. Record signing Boufal has underachieved, and we have obviously missed VVD and Austin.

However the progression in game time of Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and JWP can only be a good thing going forward.

The regulars in the team have held us together, albeit having off games now and again , which is to be expected.

I do wonder if the new breed of Premier League supporter who have joined us since we got the double promotion have unrealistic expectations for a provincial club.

Having been around since 1992 I agree that this season is as good as any, with the major failing not being anything that a goal scorer from both the strikers position and midfield would not cure.

Ship out the high wage earning dross and bring in some hungry players and Puel will be fine going forward.

you do realise there was football before the permier league right, whilst calling fans new breed of premier league supporters.

puel is poor and every ITK is awash with snippets that his position is under serious threat. It seems those in charge of the club do not want to settle for a 'provincial' club that plays 'largely' negative football

we have spent pretty decent money this season and none of the new players have set the world alight really. Gabbi has had a purple patch but we are doing out best to ruin his game

I was worried that Puel had lost the dressing room.

But he says that he always turned right before the double doors at the end of the corridor, and now knows to go through them and the dressing room is there.

So no worries then:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Secret Site Agent

you do realise there was football before the permier league right, whilst calling fans new breed of premier league supporters.

puel is poor and every ITK is awash with snippets that his position is under serious threat. It seems those in charge of the club do not want to settle for a 'provincial' club that plays 'largely' negative football

we have spent pretty decent money this season and none of the new players have set the world alight really. Gabbi has had a purple patch but we are doing out best to ruin his game

For my benefit, since I am not ITK, would you kindly identify "every ITK (that is) awash with snippets that his position is under threat", and what are their credentials. If you can't provide credentials then just names will do and I'll make up my mind from that.

For my benefit, since I am not ITK, would you kindly identify "every ITK (that is) awash with snippets that his position is under threat", and what are their credentials. If you can't provide credentials then just names will do and I'll make up my mind from that.

Jack Schitt

AR-10

Heisenberg

Tommac

Chutney Ferret (on the 606 board)

Has he lost it or its a just a couple of players? I imagine those like Romeu, JWP, McQueen, Yoshida and Stephens are all pretty happy with the way the season has paned out.

Tadic will be upset but then when isn't he? Jrod and Long probably are but that smacks of two players trying to cover up their own very obvious failings this season by laying the blame on the manager.

This part of this is true, but what about Bertrand, Forster, Cedric & Austin (You can add Fonte to this list before he left as well)?

From what I can gather, Stephens is grateful that he has been given the opportunity, but isn't overly thrilled by Puel (well this was the case back in February time).

My opinion, but I don't think this is all as a result of Puel. I think Black has a big part to play in it as well.

If we keep Puel, then IMO, the club should replace black. From what I've been told, the bloke hasn't got a great reputation in the footballing world and I cannot believe the club didn't get rid of him after the telegraph stuff.

You can bet your life that if Puel was to go and Silva came in and struggled, Batman would be the first one on here saying gone by Christmas!

It's really not difficult to understand that if he goes it won't be because of our results. It'll be other factors such as fan dissatisfaction (I would say, from what I've seen on here, twitter and people I've spoken to it's about 60/70% that want him gone), player dissatisfaction and seemingly lack of identity...

I'm very much in the camp that I think Puel should go, I'm not convinced Silva is the best man to replace him tho.

Emery (assuming he leaves PSG) for me. Would need to break the bank, so to say, to get him though I would suspect.

If the club made decisions based on Twitter or on here they would need to be certified.

15-20 points = dreadful

Combined with:

When was finishing 17th relegation, Glasgow :rolleyes:

#highlevelreview

It's all very hypocritical, our fans moaned like hell that Poch & Koeman were taken from us and yet we want to nick managers from other clubs. I think it's arrogant to keep mentioning Howe, to think he might want to come here, he will be loved there whatever happens whereas our fans would want him sacked after a few bad results.

Besides which, Howe was useless at Burnley and has succeeded only at Bournemouth where he has been entrenched for years because he is friends with everyone, tea ladies and players alike. He's never had to manage and motivate a squad full of prima donnas and poster boys.

If a vacancy occurs I would hope for a lot better than a relegated manager with a modest track record. What disturbs me is that the media (eg today's Independent) write that Saints are competing for Silva. What does that do to Puel's morale, the players' attitude and the club's repuation?

Tuchel is quite possibly going to be available - Big fall out at Dortmund and he is unlikely to survive the Watske/Zorc retribution !

I would have him in a heartbeat.

Tuchel is not going to come to us. Neither is Emery.

People should also remember that at the very least the Arsenal and Barcelona jobs are going to be available this summer and this will open up other jobs further down the pecking order if those jobs go to someone employed at a decent club.

So we could for example be competing for a manager with say Everton, if say Koeman went to Barcelona.

That may cause issues in attracting people.

-------------------

Personally I don;t think Puel has done that good of a job.

- The league position itself is not a bad per se, but the number of points and the number of under par performances thart go with it is more cause concern.

- Then you add in the Europa league early exit (for which we rotated a lot for and possibly sacrificed PL points for).

- The at times dour and negative football.

- The multitude of rumours of him upsetting key players.

That as a package is not that great IMO.

Everything I've heard about Silva, plus his almost miracle work at Hull makes me think he's the right sort of fit for us and he's realistic out of the options that would be available to us.

This part of this is true, but what about Bertrand, Forster, Cedric & Austin (You can add Fonte to this list before he left as well)?

From what I can gather, Stephens is grateful that he has been given the opportunity, but isn't overly thrilled by Puel (well this was the case back in February time).

My opinion, but I don't think this is all as a result of Puel. I think Black has a big part to play in it as well.

If we keep Puel, then IMO, the club should replace black. From what I've been told, the bloke hasn't got a great reputation in the footballing world and I cannot believe the club didn't get rid of him after the telegraph stuff.

So Cedric is upset that he is now first choice at RB? Did he prefer watching Cuco playing as Koeman's prefered choice last season then?

Not quite sure way Forster would have a problem with Puel either. Given his form this season most managers would have put someone else in goal by now but Puel has stuck with him through out the season he should be pretty grateful

Pretty sure Austin has come on twitter rubbishing the claims that has been a problem in the dressing room this season as carp

Some players at every club are upset about something. When poch left it came in the press that not all the players loved him. When Koeman left we were told that Mane, Tadic and every player under 22 had a problem with him.

I think there is difference between some players being unhappy (which seems pretty normal) and a full scale dressing room revolt.

When was finishing 17th relegation, Glasgow :rolleyes:

#highlevelreview

No, 17th is allowed. Safety after all. I have consistently made this point. I thought I had made it clear. If that is not the case, then I am not surprised at the hostile response to my satisfaction at finishing 17th if people thought I was saying Saints would get relegated !

We also lost 2-1 and drew 0-0 to that same Hull team (well in fact a probably worse one) that lost 4-0 to Palace.

5 points lost to one of the weakest teams in the league which would quite comfortably put us 8th.

People talk about our record against the top 6 but we dropped a hell of a lot points against some of the weaker teams that we were beating last year.

Edited by tajjuk

We also lost 2-1 and drew 0-0 to that same Hull team (well in fact a probably worse one) that lost 4-0 to Palace.

5 points lost to one of the weakest teams in the league which would quite comfortably put us 8th.

People talk about our record against the top 6 but we dropped a hell of a lot points against some of the weaker teams that we were beating last year.

We had similar results last year. Drawing at home to Villa, losing to Palace, drawing to Sunderland, losing at home to Stoke, away to Norwich, away to Bournemouth etc, drawing to Newcastle.

The huge difference this year - for most of the sides - is that the top teams have raised their games, coinciding with us not taking them on. That's why the gap is so big, we're all much of a muchness. Everton have been decent, not amazing, and look how far ahead they are. That's why I still think we're not miles away, it won't take huge surgery to pull us away from the Stokes/West Hams etc. I don't believe we need to reinvent the wheel.

We had similar results last year. Drawing at home to Villa, losing to Palace, drawing to Sunderland, losing at home to Stoke, away to Norwich, away to Bournemouth etc, drawing to Newcastle.

The huge difference this year - for most of the sides - is that the top teams have raised their games, coinciding with us not taking them on. That's why the gap is so big, we're all much of a muchness. Everton have been decent, not amazing, and look how far ahead they are. That's why I still think we're not miles away, it won't take huge surgery to pull us away from the Stokes/West Hams etc. I don't believe we need to reinvent the wheel.

Nah mush, we're boring. Boring and defensive. And really boring. And have you seen him do an interview? Zzzz... boring.

only Chelsea and Liverpool have stepped it up this season - Man U, Arsenal and Man C have a similar points total to last season.

The big movers are Everton (from 47 points to 61) and us (from 63 to 45) its like we have just swapped with Everton who rightly ditched Martinez

only Chelsea and Liverpool have stepped it up this season - Man U, Arsenal and Man C have a similar points total to last season.

The big movers are Everton (from 47 points to 61) and us (from 63 to 45) its like we have just swapped with Everton who rightly ditched Martinez

you forget Leicester's fall too.

Manipulating numbers is fun. We are 9-4-6 vs the teams not in the top 6 who are staying up (31 pts for those math impaired). We also have 4 pts vs #3 Liverpool this season. So it seems to me we are doing fairly well against anyone not named Manchester*, Chelsea, Spurs, or Arsenal. We have 4 pts or more against Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth, and hopefully Stoke (plus L'pool of course). Sounds pretty good.

Nah mush, we're boring. Boring and defensive. And really boring. And have you seen him do an interview? Zzzz... boring.

Why do so many people care that he's boring in interviews? It's unbelievably pedantic :lol: To think that can contribute to firing a manager... What the hell is wrong with you :lol: There's plenty of players with next to no personality, should we sack them too? Let the guy's ability to manage be the only important factor. If you think he produces boring football then so be it.

Given how **** weak our squad is this year compared to recent times I think a league finish of 9th is about right. Cup final was great, Europa league knockout was poor. All in all luck hasn't been on our side this year; key injuries and some shots hitting the woodwork that would've vastly changed our season. Our scheduling was a nightmare. Billy big ******** Fonte undermined the coaches rather than leading by example. The lack of goals has sucked but we spent so much of the season with Long/JRod leading our midfield that hasn't contributed goals in years.

For me Puel 100% deserves a crack next year to see what he can put together. We've seen him start sticking to a fairly regular XI once we went to 1 game a week so that consistency should help a lot next year. Not having Europe also means we can offload some players and use that cash for quality over quantity.

Manipulating numbers is fun. We are 9-4-6 vs the teams not in the top 6 who are staying up (31 pts for those math impaired). We also have 4 pts vs #3 Liverpool this season. So it seems to me we are doing fairly well against anyone not named Manchester*, Chelsea, Spurs, or Arsenal. We have 4 pts or more against Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth, and hopefully Stoke (plus L'pool of course). Sounds pretty good.

2 points Vs Liverpool though. 0-0 home and away.