Our All Time Most Expensive Signings - One For The Statto's

Gemmel

Courtesy Of A Comment By Manuel On Another Thread.

I am sure I am wrong with a couple of these, but a worrying trend if I am even 50% Right ....

Alan McLaughlin

David Hurst

Delgardo

Saganowski

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Boufal

I know I will have missed a few and that even some of those might not be correct, but we seem to have a much better record selling than buying the top crop.

Courtesy Of A Comment By Manuel On Another Thread.

I am sure I am wrong with a couple of these, but a worrying trend if I am even 50% Right ....

Alan McLaughlin

David Hurst

Delgardo

Saganowski

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Boufal

Delgardo wasn't a club record signing. He signed after record £4m signing Rory Delap and cost less. Sagnowski wasn't a record signing either, he didn't cost much in comparison to others signed before him.

Jay Rodriguez became a Saints record signing in 2012 *****il Ramirez signed later that Summer), previously it was Rory Delap from 2001 to 2012.

Just looking at them, we've bought so much crap over the years. That Wayne Thomas transfer summed our club up back then, he was 500k value max...yet we splurge 1.5m on him. He wasn't even that good.

Burnley then went and bought Clarke Carlisle for a couple of 100k iirc and ended up doing miles better than us.

August 1981 Dave Armstrong for £680,000. What a record signing that was, brilliant on the ball and something like forty league goals from midfield in his first three seasons. Should have got more than his three England caps.

Agree - great servant, money well spent.

Other not so great record signings:

Peter Osgood - he may have come good later but his first couple of months he was woefully unfit, and that didn't help our slump, culminating in relegation.

Charlie George - not fit for the first season after signing.

Agree - great servant, money well spent.

Other not so great record signings:

Peter Osgood - he may have come good later but his first couple of months he was woefully unfit, and that didn't help our slump, culminating in relegation.

Charlie George - not fit for the first season after signing.

Agree with that Badger. Both super footballers but just past their best, similar in many ways. I remember McMenemy at the time saying having CG at the club injured through most of his contract was 'like having a fabulous diamond locked in a safe to which you've lost the combination!' - we had to put up with just a few flashes of brilliance.