Jeremy Pied

I was at the Middlesbrough v Saints match on Saturday and particularly noted the performance of Jeremy Pied. I felt he looked very assured on the ball and his decision making was very good. Some of his longer kicks were a little wayward, but maybe that is one of those things that will improve with match practice.

I now note that he has come on as sub tonight in place of Cedric and I am interested to see how home fans view his performance tonight. Obviously it is not the same as a full match, but nevertheless it will be interesting to hear how well he has played.

Hopefully it will turn out that once again we have uncovered a real gem of a player.

Hes 28, not sure you can "uncover" a 28 year old journeyman?

Think he just follows Puel from club to club?

you just cant help but criticise everything. I didn't think before tonight but I now wonder if you really are a Skate afterall

When he had a spin out before his injury I thought instantly that he is a player who knows his way round a football pitch, glimpses on Saturday watching a stream he looked tidy enough. Then tonight's cameo I thought he looked assured and decisive when getting up the line and looking to get in a cross or a pass.

i just think the miles he has on the clock and the experience that has given him is there to see.

Has looked OK from what I've seen of him. But don't think he's anything more than a technically tidy safe pair of hands.

We've been spoilt for fullbacks in recent years. Most of our movement and unpredictability comes from the position, so I hope we're serious about strengthening it if Bertrand and/or Cedric leave.

I thought he was decent in both games, and showed surprising pace for a big man....

...but not a very good crosser of the ball.

Cedric is better.

A big man? In terms of height he certainly isn't, maybe you know something else? He does look good, has very good pace, if Cedric doesn't move we are well stocked in this position wit McCarthy back as well.

I thought he was decent in both games, and showed surprising pace for a big man....

...but not a very good crosser of the ball.

Cedric is better.

Unfortunately this is key. In the modern game, particularly under the system we play, most full backs look pretty good. Pied looks defensively decent and has the energy to get up and back. But so does Cedric, Bertrand, Targett, McQueen, even Martina! What matters is whether they have that extra yard of pace, or extra ability to anticipate the game so that they can get in behind, and/or whether they can deliver a quality ball into the box. Otherwise they are just a run of the mill full back who runs up and down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing Pied off, he has had a couple of encouraging performances and may need a bit more time to establish himself, but what I have set out above is really what you need for a top level full back for our system.

Hes 28, not sure you can "uncover" a 28 year old journeyman?

Think he just follows Puel from club to club?

Has more to him than Telfer though and that is in a couple of games really. When Ced went off it was good to watch someone of similar capability replace him. If Pied and Ced were competing for a start next season I'd be chuffed. Oh well.

Was directly down in front of me (in the Kingsland) and I was very impressed with his short cameo, good touch, pace and positioning! Probably doesn't have the flair of Cedric but I reckon that he will be a very reliable squad player !

He's an upgrade on Coco the clown as a squad player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest problem is we have a very promising youngster that can play right back and Soares and Pied will be stopping his development.

Coco is certainly going to leave and I reckon Soares will too.

One bit of further depth here. Pied is very much Puel's man, managed him at Lyon, Nice and now here. If Puel goes, would Pied wish to follow?

That depends on what happens to Puel, if he were to leave. If he's straight into another job then he'll likely come looking for players with whom he's worked before. All managers are the same.

One bit of further depth here. Pied is very much Puel's man, managed him at Lyon, Nice and now here. If Puel goes, would Pied wish to follow?

depends how much he is on here and if Puel's next club can get close!