Saints 0 Stoke 1

St Chalet

The Cat has taken a lot of flak for voicing it, but the ugliness of today's atmosphere was shocking. Even having witnessed first-hand the goal droughts and periods of (occasionally unacceptable) inadequacy, I see no just cause for the more extreme reactions borne from the crowd today. Not sure I've ever felt so disconnected from what was happening around me at a Saints match. Unless you were in the thick of the Northam (go on, insert stereotype about the Northam's demographics - we've heard them all), I don't think you can get a measure of just how absurdly toxic it became. And don't make the mistake of thinking it was all directed at Puel.

Welcome to the Premier League era of entitlement.

I agree with yourself and Cat, both calling out the modern day Premier league entitled fan who can't help but have a tantrum when results don't go their way.

Clearly this season could have been better, especially the home form, but the support from the fans has been consistently poor as well. The Stoke goal was welcomed by many who could then let their booing and moaning go up a level. In a season where we finished 8th and got to a cup final I doubt many managers could have achieved much more with our squad.

I agree with yourself and Cat, both calling out the modern day Premier league entitled fan who can't help but have a tantrum when results don't go their way.

Clearly this season could have been better, especially the home form, but the support from the fans has been consistently poor as well. The Stoke goal was welcomed by many who could then let their booing and moaning go up a level. In a season where we finished 8th and got to a cup final I doubt many managers could have achieved much more with our squad.

Don't agree with that, home fans had ramped up the noise and created a good atmosphere for the 5-10 minutes before their goal.

It's obvious to most fans that the squad is limited and injuries robbed us of two key players but the club failed to address the striker issue last summer betting on Long and Rodriguez. They appointed a defensive style manager and with nearly the whole squad underperforming we endured some diabolical home matches.

Who can believe next season under Les and Puel it will be any different.

If you consistently sell your best players and bring in untried premier league managers one season it will bit you in the arse.

The Cat has taken a lot of flak for voicing it, but the ugliness of today's atmosphere was shocking. Even having witnessed first-hand the goal droughts and periods of (occasionally unacceptable) inadequacy, I see no just cause for the more extreme reactions borne from the crowd today. Not sure I've ever felt so disconnected from what was happening around me at a Saints match. Unless you were in the thick of the Northam (go on, insert stereotype about the Northam's demographics - we've heard them all), I don't think you can get a measure of just how absurdly toxic it became. And don't make the mistake of thinking it was all directed at Puel.

I couldn't get to the game, but I've sensed it going that way recently.

Totally agree with your post, and The Cat. A toxic atmosphere and anger will only make matters worse.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Second game in a row their keeper pulls of some good saves and we squander decent chances to score.

A lot of out fans are massive helmets. Booing subs, getting on players' backs. I hope Puel stays just so none of those ****s renew. In fact I'd like to believe bringing Pied on right wing was Claude trolling the jumped up, spoilt *****s who are crying because we dared to have an average season.

I'd happily just do away games, and it's nothing to do with the football at St Mary's and everything to do with the ****ty atmosphere in a stadium where a third of the support are utter clowns.

Agree with this, negative reaction has been way over the top.

A strange feel to an end of season game , alot of fans seemed to be resigned to us not scoring . The crowd did make a show of supporting the team until they scored then it went a bit quiet !We didn't stay for the lap of honour , after watching Koeman etc last time waving etc to the crowd after saying he was staying then jumping ship days later !!

The match looked OK to start with apart from the final third bit , loads of crosses into the box but not to anyone in particular , Forster , why was he not challenging Crouch ? you would think he could get a punch in to clear it . I thought the ref and lady lino poor , she didn't keep up with play , gave wrong throw decisions etc. Ref fell for their play acting all match. "Barry" seemed unlucky with his one on one as Butland,seemed to me, to slip and hit the deck to block the shot and the rebound hit "Barry's" foot to go out rather than him missing (so to speak). Not sure if Austin was offside for his "goal" but the pass was delayed so long I would not be surprised. Offside is so dificult these days , where we were in line at a free kick players were constantly going in/out of an offside position but eventually played on by the defence . Only careful study by video replay could sort some decisions out (imo)

Our weakness seems to be the slowing of attacking play once we got the ball in their half , their defence regrouped and the final ball saw us outnumbered by big experienced defenders ! Boufal just disrupted the plan , players were looking to link up with him but he was always somewhere else and then seemed to want to play behind our midfield !

On to the worst part of the season ie who is leaving and possibly who may come in who we may of actually heard of before .

Cretins complaining about those who choose to boo... go to another club

Did you boo? Did you sing along to "You're getting sacked in the morning" or that old classic "You don't know what you're doin"? Stoke have had a worse season than ours. I didn't hear any of the above from their supporters. Quite the opposite.

Objection M'Lord, Poster JB above says I am a moron, I am not; Northam ST holder, watched Saints for over 40 years. Not an old git, actually a semi retired professional.

As such, along with thousands of others, we are paying customers and fully entitled to voice our opinions both during the game and after.

The treatment of J Rod by Cluel(ess) yesterday was disgraceful. Unless he had an injury, to score a goal and assist the second the game before and then not even get put in the squad for a final home game with nothing to lose except attack/score/win was unacceptable and for me the final nail. Au revoir monsieur

It was very much a case of same old, same old for the large majority. I thought we started the game well, it was actually a pretty open start, a little end to end for the first 10mins. After that it kind of reverted to norm, Bertrand going on the overlap, Redmond hanging back and going inside, lack of movement and too much of a gap between the midfield and the attack.

2nd half it didn't really change, we had a few decent opportunities which Butland kept out - but you'd argue that they were straight at him, rather than to either side.

For me, still not enough clear cut opportunities in the game. Too slow to build from the midfield to the attack, and a lack of options to open the game and spread the wide players. I think we play narrow as per a instructions, I don't see why else Redmond holds back as he does - makes no sense to me.

There was a moment in the 2nd half where someone picked the ball up and ran, and ran and ran...got into the box, was tackled though. But that's what you need from the midfielders, notably the likes of Davis. Who was it that did that run though? Jack flaming Stephens. That said it all for me.

So we've gone 19 home games and I'm still none the wiser as to what Claude is trying to implement. It's not a press, it's not a fast counter attacking style, it's not complete backs against the wall defending - I don't know what he's trying to do, I don't think the players do either. Maybe he's had the right idea's, but he's certainly not executed them correctly.

Thanks, sounds like you could have copied & pasted from a number of other reports recently. As you mention, aside from some neat triangles of passing from time to time, I'm not sure what endearing features there are about our play.

Another concern I have is that we seem to be getting gradually worse. Most would accept that the Premier League has been pretty poor from 8th down this season - I can't think of any non-promoted teams who have looked better than they did last year? However, you could at least say that West Ham, Bournemouth, Swansea, Leicester & Crystal Palace have ended the season looking stronger than they did in the early/mid stages. Even though we have ended in our highest position all season, performance-wise I don't feel we've ever kicked into a higher gear, and look to have fewer ideas with each passing game. At best you could argue that this season has been one of fits and spurts - looking back through the fixtures, it's hard to identify a period when we were good. I'd probably say the EFL final, Sunderland and Watford - basically the arrival of Gabbiadini - but that didn't last long and we certainly haven't seen any rekindling of that form since Gabbiadini's return from injury.

Objection M'Lord, Poster JB above says I am a moron, I am not; Northam ST holder, watched Saints for over 40 years. Not an old git, actually a semi retired professional.

As such, along with thousands of others, we are paying customers and fully entitled to voice our opinions both during the game and after.

The treatment of J Rod by Cluel(ess) yesterday was disgraceful. Unless he had an injury, to score a goal and assist the second the game before and then not even get put in the squad for a final home game with nothing to lose except attack/score/win was unacceptable and for me the final nail. Au revoir monsieur

You forgot to add "despite generally playing terribly in that game, not looking like a Premier League striker at any point during the season, and seems set to leave the club".

Did you boo? Did you sing along to "You're getting sacked in the morning" or that old classic "You don't know what you're doin"? Stoke have had a worse season than ours. I didn't hear any of the above from their supporters. Quite the opposite.

No, of course I didn't. But I respect the right of others to voice their displeasure, as well as their right to sing and cheer in support. You pay your money and you make your voice.

'Worse season than ours'? It's not only about league position.

To be honest my strike rate is similar to Saints goal scoring record this season lol .

Few clear cut opportunities and rarely hitting the target haha

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

When my Indian girlfriend said I could give her a facial I nearly came on the spot.

No, of course I didn't. But I respect the right of others to voice their displeasure, as well as their right to sing and cheer in support. You pay your money and you make your voice.

'Worse season than ours'? It's not only about league position.

"It's not only about league position" - agreed. It's about style and "entertainment" and Stoke City is a byword for those. For goodness sake, they are still relying on the lob to Crouch at the back post to score a goal. (And our dim defenders didn't track his movement to the back post - he's big enough that you can't miss him- leaving 6ft 7ins against 5ft nothing. 1-0 and we lose the game). Nonetheless they support their team. Vote with your feet or even boo at the end if you must but booing and singing against players and manager during the match is an own goal in my book. It isn't support, it's pathetic.

Don't agree with that, home fans had ramped up the noise and created a good atmosphere for the 5-10 minutes before their goal.

I felt the fans were still with the team until Stoke scored and then the flood gates opened, it was then just a torrent of Puel Out (from the Northam, that's where I was standing. I couldn't hear other sections of the Saints crowd). I was more disappointed with their reaction than with the result.

I felt the fans were still with the team until Stoke scored and then the flood gates opened, it was then just a torrent of Puel Out (from the Northam, that's where I was standing. I couldn't hear other sections of the Saints crowd). I was more disappointed with their reaction than with the result.

Sat down the other end didn't hear any of the Puel out, just the "you don't know what you're doing" which seemed to gain a bit of traction with quite a few fans in other stands.

Best chant has to be "we're on the pitch if someone scores".

Not sure taking off a player who hasn't played for 6 months after 60 odd minutes is a bad decision even if it was the last game. Thank you Claude for looking after our players welfare. Pied was a strange one though. The main thing was that we should have had someone playing or feeding off the main striker. In the good old days we used to surround Rickie Lambert and get the knock downs. Both Austin and Gab.are different types of player to Rickie but Gab. was making runs out wide and someone from midfield should have been running through wide open gaps down the middle. Boufal was the obvious player to do this but first he was put out on the wing and then when he was put in the middle he just wanted to do his own thing.

I would say the modern day 'entitled' fan doesn't exist in the form you and others promote. When I was first going to watch Saints in the early seventies, in the second division as was, every other game there would be a slow hand clap, or chants of 'What a load of Rubbish' ringing around the ground. This 'support your club at all costs and woe betide anyone who criticises the little darlings' is a new phenomena; as is the belief that the players fragile egos will crumble at the slightest negativity from the great unwashed.

FFS these players earn twice or more in a week what the average man earns in a year, so if football clubs want that average man to part with £42 to watch ****** I would say he is entitled to moan. And besides it's all part of the pantomime that is professional football.

You don't need to have been in the stadium to witness that - it is abundantly clear just by reading a few of the threads on here. I am not a ST holder and don't go to games so I'm probably not allowed to comment, but I really think people need to get some perspective - we were never going to keep our yearly improvement going. Last year we were helped massively by more than one of the big guns having awful seasons. This year we have been hampered by injuries and movement of major players, yet whether you like it or not, have still topped the best of the rest league. Granted it hasn't been pretty at times - I get that and fully understand peoples angst.

But at the end of the day, once we sack Puel I fear the new man will soon be on a hiding to nothing because our fans expectations are much higher than the teams actual ability. On the other hand if the fans just want to see a better style of play, more goals and us finishing mid table - can't see that the new manager will have a problem. But that's not the vibe that I get from reading much of the posts here.

"It's not only about league position" - agreed. It's about style and "entertainment" and Stoke City is a byword for those. For goodness sake, they are still relying on the lob to Crouch at the back post to score a goal. (And our dim defenders didn't track his movement to the back post - he's big enough that you can't miss him- leaving 6ft 7ins against 5ft nothing. 1-0 and we lose the game). Nonetheless they support their team. Vote with your feet or even boo at the end if you must but booing and singing against players and manager during the match is an own goal in my book. It isn't support, it's pathetic.

I'm with Whitey Grandad on this one if people want to boo they have paid their money and are entitled to express their feelings and opinions alike. I wonder if you were around when Branfoot was our manager if so I suspect you must have been in a minority of one not booing!

You don't need to have been in the stadium to witness that - it is abundantly clear just by reading a few of the threads on here. I am not a ST holder and don't go to games so I'm probably not allowed to comment, but I really think people need to get some perspective - we were never going to keep our yearly improvement going. Last year we were helped massively by more than one of the big guns having awful seasons. This year we have been hampered by injuries and movement of major players, yet whether you like it or not, have still topped the best of the rest league. Granted it hasn't been pretty at times - I get that and fully understand peoples angst.

But at the end of the day, once we sack Puel I fear the new man will soon be on a hiding to nothing because our fans expectations are much higher than the teams actual ability. On the other hand if the fans just want to see a better style of play, more goals and us finishing mid table - can't see that the new manager will have a problem. But that's not the vibe that I get from reading much of the posts here.

They don`t, they want wins.. simple. as we all do

All the "i dont mind if we lose as long as we play wonderful football" is horse s hyt

I would say the modern day 'entitled' fan doesn't exist in the form you and others promote. When I was first going to watch Saints in the early seventies, in the second division as was, every other game there would be a slow hand clap, or chants of 'What a load of Rubbish' ringing around the ground. This 'support your club at all costs and woe betide anyone who criticises the little darlings' is a new phenomena; as is the belief that the players fragile egos will crumble at the slightest negativity from the great unwashed.

FFS these players earn twice or more in a week what the average man earns in a year, so if football clubs want that average man to part with £42 to watch ****** I would say he is entitled to moan. And besides it's all part of the pantomime that is professional football.

Great post its quite funny watching the little darlings squinny and squirm on here at anyone who dares criticise anything or anyone at SMS.

Why does the best of the rest league suddenly not include Everton? We've finished above them a couple of times in recent years so seems slightly convenient to exclude them from being in our league the season they overtake us?

Anyone seen any footage of Redmond hitting the bar when the goalie got out of position? Our only chance in the 1st half as I remember and can't see anything online.

It wasn't our only chance in the first half. Far from it.

Had we actually scored the 2 penalties in the prvious 2 games the frustrations may not have been so bad. Sadly Puel had an uphill battle the moment he did his first TV interview and struggled with his English. We have been used to managers who converse well (MOpo had to use the interpreter ) in interviews.

The fans perceived he was no good from the start and it has been a constant trying to get them on board.

I still believe he would have become one of most successful managers, but Iam resigned to him getting the boot.

Not everyone is brilliat at doing the post match talk and that has hindered him. I know fans will come back and say his football was boring but many a game we were dire under RK.

Why does the best of the rest league suddenly not include Everton? We've finished above them a couple of times in recent years so seems slightly convenient to exclude them from being in our league the season they overtake us?

Well ok, if you want to be pedantic about it, include them - we came second in the best of the rest league. I only omitted them because most on here seem to think that they are the club to chase - they have finished in probably their expected position this year as well. After their takeover at the end of last season, them taking RK from us and their owner promising to invest large sums, I would have expected them to challenge the top clubs. So I included them in the top clubs - and I expect them to be in a similar position next season.

They don`t, they want wins.. simple. as we all do

All the "i dont mind if we lose as long as we play wonderful football" is horse s hyt

If that is the case, then I don't think our new manager will be around very long either - we could very quickly become the new Watford.

It's obvious to most fans that the squad is limited and injuries robbed us of two key players but the club failed to address the striker issue last summer betting on Long and Rodriguez. They appointed a defensive style manager and with nearly the whole squad underperforming we endured some diabolical home matches.

Who can believe next season under Les and Puel it will be any different.

If you consistently sell your best players and bring in untried premier league managers one season it will bit you in the arse.

Could not have put it better myself. Hopefully Les is going to be fully supervised with appointing the new manager. Need someone that is media-savvy and can challenge him. It was pretty clear from the 'Redmond as a striker' nonsense that CP would be a doormat for Les. That quote on our midfield options would have been challenged by RK or MP as well.

Great post its quite funny watching the little darlings squinny and squirm on here at anyone who dares criticise anything or anyone at SMS.

i think everyone will be in agreement that we want to play "better" football, and win more matches, I don't think most posters are against criticism of the club, it's more in the way you do it. Booing the subs, singing "you don't know what you're doing " and "Claude Puel he's got to go home" is hardly the most constructive, the hatred some of the fans seemed to direct at Puel is quite odd really.

It's a fair point from Micky and he's probably right - in today's instant gratification FIFA playing world there are inevitably some who will not accept us not constantly winning. But I'd say they are the minority, I think it's entirely because we don't really believe we will win anything (and 40 years of not wining anything backs that up) that people want to be entertained - see us genuinely try and score goals etc. There is actually no reason for example we couldn't be like this years Ajax (they probably won't win anything either - but the fans love the way they play) - let's face it most of that side (and manager) we could have signed. If you are going to be deadly dull you have to at least win games. Also people want hope and vision - even if it turns out to be a false dawn - football is about escapism and entertainment - paying £45 to trudge down to St Marys thinking you are going to be served up tripe (and then constantly getting it) can't be the way forwards. I'm very frustrated with Puel - in some ways I can see what he is trying to do and the football is fantastic up until the final 3rd (he's not a Pulis / Fat Sam), but he just seems so stuck in his ways I really can't see us progressing to get there. Also don't get people who point out that Puel isn't to blame when his players miss - of course he is unless training, mental ability, talent etc are sitting outside his remit (and if so he should state that to get fans off his back). Equally if we thump someone 6-0 he would be to blame for that as well. Finally the most worrying thing for me is Gabbiaddini - a player full of confidence and skill when he came - but his regression and body language over the last month has the alarm bells going (that pen would have been buried when he first arrived).

You forgot to add "despite generally playing terribly in that game, not looking like a Premier League striker at any point during the season, and seems set to leave the club".

Were you saying that when he salvaged a point against Sunderland and bagged a brace against Bournemouth? It's hardly surprising that he's not been able to find form with Puel as his manager. He's treated J-Rod like **** this season.

Bang on target. I would suggest that the fans who don't think moaning or booing or slow hand clapping is acceptable in a stadium would not have had the mental strength to survive in a football ground anywhere in the country/probably world before 1996 or when the Premier League was invented and football went all fluffy and marketing slogan led.

Bang on target. I would suggest that the fans who don't think moaning or booing or slow hand clapping is acceptable in a stadium would not have had the mental strength to survive in a football ground anywhere in the country/probably world before 1996 or when the Premier League was invented and football went all fluffy and marketing slogan led.

Particularly that Port Vale home cup game, one of Branfoot's last. The whole ground bar Vale fans held up red cards to Branfoot and the atmosphere was X10 more toxic than Sunday with a third of the fans. Remember the sign on lower East 'Mr Blobby In, Branfoot Out!'. Every ball lumped forward from the full backs (Ian's signature) was met with a 'hoof' from the crowd. Most home games, Branny's walk from the West corner to the dug outs was met with a chorus of 'resign' and that's the polite stuff. A lot easier to hear abuse at the Dell than SMS too.

Can recall the protests being just as bad at the Oldham home game a couple of years before. Saints fans have a major aversion to negative football - we'll put up with most things but that seems to be a historical ignition point.

Had we actually scored the 2 penalties in the prvious 2 games the frustrations may not have been so bad. Sadly Puel had an uphill battle the moment he did his first TV interview and struggled with his English. We have been used to managers who converse well (MOpo had to use the interpreter ) in interviews.

The fans perceived he was no good from the start and it has been a constant trying to get them on board.

I still believe he would have become one of most successful managers, but Iam resigned to him getting the boot.

Not everyone is brilliat at doing the post match talk and that has hindered him. I know fans will come back and say his football was boring but many a game we were dire under RK.

You seem utterly convinced of this . Personally I couldn't care if he was a albanian deaf mute if he got us to play quick attacking and exciting football , you know what we were known for before he arrived .

This rubbish about his interview skills is just another excuse to detract from the clueless style of play we execute under Puel .

i think everyone will be in agreement that we want to play "better" football, and win more matches, I don't think most posters are against criticism of the club, it's more in the way you do it. Booing the subs, singing "you don't know what you're doing " and "Claude Puel he's got to go home" is hardly the most constructive, the hatred some of the fans seemed to direct at Puel is quite odd really.

Its not hatred at all . Its frustration.

What other way can fans express their dissatisfaction? Should they write a strongly worded email ?

The club wouldn't care . Like it or not but this is the only real way fans can convey their opinion to the board

This and this.

I'm not happy with the football we're playing, nor our 'grind to a halt' end to the season. And it's not got anything to do with oversensitivity (LOL! Just need somebody to roll out the term 'snowflake' next). Nor an aversion to criticism of the club. The last 9 months have indeed contained plenty of valid bones of contention.

With that said, let's make a leap and assume that all of yesterday's chants, boos and ironic jeers were totally justified. Does it not strike anybody as even vaguely daft to create such a venomous atmosphere during the match? A match in which league position and therefore millions of pounds were on the line? Money that would probably be quite handy in terms of furthering the squad for next season - or at least paying a few wages/new contracts. Because that's literally the only chance a club of our stature has to attract better players or to keep any existing gems.

If you could quantify the detracting effect of yesterday's antics, even if it came out at 1%, why would you want the club you support to be any less likely to win? At the heart of it all, I'm not even sure most of the people booing could truly explain the realistic alternative or some metrics for what would constitute success for Southampton FC in 2017-18.

Puel's appointment began at a point of prejudice for many. Perhaps that would've been the case for virtually anybody that came in. I've certainly encountered a lot of fans still hankering for Pochettino and/or Koeman. Whilst Claude, overall, hasn't done enough for me, I remain unconvinced that this squad could ever have delivered enough for him to win over the masses.

The top is from our favourite journalist.

Amazingly some #saintsfc fanss are trying to defend Puel's decision to bring on Pied for Ward Prowse at 1-0 down. Lost for words.

Tony Husband‏Verified account @TonyHusbandBBC 3m3 minutes ago

As baffling a decision as I've seen for a while. The end is nigh.