James Ward-Prowse

saintwbu

Wholehearted player is exactly what he isn't. I rarely see him battling for possession or busting a gut to get to the ball. In most 50/50 situations he gives up far too easily. He often feins that he is going to tackle and then doesn't bother, which causes problems for his team mates. Romeu and Lemina are whole hearted players; Ward-Prowse isn't.

Romeu and Lemina are stronger, that's it. You really can't fault Ward-Prowse for effort, and it's nonsense to suggest he rarely fights for possession. His defensive job is to pressure and block off passes, not fly into tackles.

Can't see him being given another 3-5 years unless he provides. The annoying thing is, I think most would see that he is a very skillful player and that it is the application that is lacking a bit.

In all honestly, I can't see him leaving the club at all, let alone within the next 3-5 years.

Will someone show this to MP and JWP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yY3z9wNsc

Beckham had limited pace and never beat a player in his life, but with a willing overlapping full back to create space he was very effective.

That is quite an insane compilation. Funny how the scorers always run off in the opposite direction after they score, you'd think they'd at least acknowledge the pass!

While there's no doubt JWP is capable of delivering a good ball, I don't see him being a prolific crosser - after all, this video only shows the goals from Beckham crosses, not all the near misses. Ward-Prowse delivers, what, one or two decent balls (non-FKs) a game? And by decent, I mean ones that put the defenders under pressure, the sort that the crowd applaud the effort, not necessarily ones that create a goalscoring opportunity.

You are wasting your time with this pro managers forums, did you not know the posters here are world class managers, some even give tips to jose and pep. Seriously though, you put JWP in the united team of 96 and he is one of the best players on that team................ Ruud van Nistelrooy would have a field day off his crosses and free kicks and corners and long ranged passes................................ just cause we dont play to JWPs strengths dont mean he is a **** player. maybe, just maybe, if we played to his strengths and the team took advantage and played off of these his stats would be a lot better. can you picture JWP putting crosses into Harry Kane? you think Harry Kane would be half as wasteful as all are team is? can you picture Gary Nevile, Roy Keane , Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and so on and so on and so on, not taking advantage and helping a JWP / David beckham to find space to use that amazing passing ability he has? obviously some people never watched Beckham at united and madrid to see how much space them teams used to make for beckham to nicely sit in with all the time in the world to pick out a pass.

I am not saying he is as good as beckham, but he is not far off with his passing, range of passing, his crosses and free kicks and vision. this vid on youtube show cases his talents so so well

( This is just in one year this vid.......... )

Now you have to ask your self, if are players finished all the chances off in this vid, would you all be sat here questioning how good he is?. i mean who else can pass the ball around more than 10 yards on are team????

You are all ( Not you Ash ) blaming JWP, but reality is, its the rest of the team letting him down by not finishing the chances he makes for them.

Some ppl dont know how good they got it till its gone... Ask Sadio how he feels for the main person that set up most of his goals / started the attacking moves off with some slick passing............... Ask Pelle about the goals he got from a JWP pass/ free kick / corner, Ask Lambert..... then ask them all about the ones they missed................. you will find they have missed far far far more chances created by JWP than they have finished..

That video of JWP sums it up pretty well - glimpses of a good player, certainly one who can make a nice pass and take an excellent free kick/corner. However, the fact that the video was padded out with nearly a minute of close ups, copious replays, and several clips of 5 yard passes suggests that the guy making the video needed a fair bit of filler to go with the killer. Perhaps a fitting tribute to JWP. As for the Beckham comparison, I counted 1, possibly 2 crosses from open play that resembled the sort of deliveries seen on the Beckham video. I'm sure Ward-Prowse has the attributes, but whether or not he can pull it all together and regularly produce the goods remains to be seen.

Mosin, not many are saying he is a **** player, but my my, you don't half spout some utter bôllocks. Are you JWP, friend/family or just infatuated by him?? And love the bit where you say everyone here is a pro manager talking ****, that is apart from yourself isn't it??? As it is, we must have a **** manager if he doesn't build the team around him, and all the managers in the PL and world football must be **** as well, in not trying to buy him and have him as their centre piece to have the team built around. What must the likes of Zidane be doing/thiking if they can't see how good he is????

You are wasting your time with this pro managers forums, did you not know the posters here are world class managers, some even give tips to jose and pep. Seriously though, you put JWP in the united team of 96 and he is one of the best players on that team................ Ruud van Nistelrooy would have a field day off his crosses and free kicks and corners and long ranged passes................................ just cause we dont play to JWPs strengths dont mean he is a **** player. maybe, just maybe, if we played to his strengths and the team took advantage and played off of these his stats would be a lot better. can you picture JWP putting crosses into Harry Kane? you think Harry Kane would be half as wasteful as all are team is? can you picture Gary Nevile, Roy Keane , Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and so on and so on and so on, not taking advantage and helping a JWP / David beckham to find space to use that amazing passing ability he has? obviously some people never watched Beckham at united and madrid to see how much space them teams used to make for beckham to nicely sit in with all the time in the world to pick out a pass.

I am not saying he is as good as beckham, but he is not far off with his passing, range of passing, his crosses and free kicks and vision. this vid on youtube show cases his talents so so well

Now you have to ask your self, if are players finished all the chances off in this vid, would you all be sat here questioning how good he is?. i mean who else can pass the ball around more than 10 yards on are team????

You are all ( Not you Ash ) blaming JWP, but reality is, its the rest of the team letting him down by not finishing the chances he makes for them.

Some ppl dont know how good they got it till its gone... Ask Sadio how he feels for the main person that set up most of his goals / started the attacking moves off with some slick passing............... Ask Pelle about the goals he got from a JWP pass/ free kick / corner, Ask Lambert..... then ask them all about the ones they missed................. you will find they have missed far far far more chances created by JWP than they have finished..

Beckham was ****, especially in an England team that was overhyped and a fanbase that believed it. Sorry, JWP's dad; haven't you got some soliciting to do?

So basically your argument is that JWP is too good for Saints. That's a cracker.

So in a post mocking posters who think Prowse is poor you're also stating that no manager or coach has ever used him to his strengths.

So thats how many managers who couldn't use him effectively ?

Great players impose themselves on the game . Prowse isn't capable of that even after all these years .

If he wasn't part of our academy we would have let him go already .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Beckham was very very from from sh*t. No player was particularly good for England but to be honest he was one of the better England performers over those years.

Would be interesting to see what JWP could do played that way, told to just work the right and get early crosses in, I'd reckon Gabbiadini would thrive of it, Austin too and it's hardly like Cedric is shy getting forward. When he does play wide right he seems restricted and rarely tries those sort of balls, like we favour possession over everything else.

At the end of the day he clearly has many good qualities and is rated by several managers and pundits so it's up to him to make the most of it on the pitch and the manager to find the best position and role for him to use those qualities.

But many many people on here are massively over the top critical of him, seems to be the go to player to blame when things go wrong, whilst other players trundle along in mediocrity for months but seem to get a pass from the 'experts' on here. He's a quality player and will improve, most of the comments I see from people about him are fairly clueless IMO.

Edited by tajjuk

I'd love nothing more than if JWP could produce the goods as Mosin says he is capable of (and that all managers are seemingly blind to!). I think that we all would. But as I stated earlier, 6 years as a (semi) regular, near 200 games under his belt, I just wonder how much time he is going to be given to show his stuff. Some think another 3-5 years before he hits his peak at 25-27 which is fair enough but not sure that will be what all want. He might be kept for years as a squad player, but I suspect he will want to be more regular than that. He does have age on his side.

Any lawyer will explain to you never to defend the indefensible!

Lol

That is quite an insane compilation. Funny how the scorers always run off in the opposite direction after they score, you'd think they'd at least acknowledge the pass!

While there's no doubt JWP is capable of delivering a good ball, I don't see him being a prolific crosser - after all, this video only shows the goals from Beckham crosses, not all the near misses. Ward-Prowse delivers, what, one or two decent balls (non-FKs) a game? And by decent, I mean ones that put the defenders under pressure, the sort that the crowd applaud the effort, not necessarily ones that create a goalscoring opportunity.

Exactly 1 key pass per game so far this season (i.e. a pass that resulted in an attempt on goal) in 166 minutes so far, no assists yet:

Previous seasons:

2016/17: 1.4 key passes per game in PL, 2.2 in Europa (4 total assists, included in the key pass stats)

2015/16: 1.0 kppg (1 assist)

2014/15: 1.4 kppg (6 assists)

2013/14: 1.1 kppg (2 assists)

2012/13: 0.7 kppg (0 assists)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105172/Show/James-Ward-Prowse

Exactly 1 key pass per game so far this season (i.e. a pass that resulted in an attempt on goal) in 166 minutes so far, no assists yet:

Previous seasons:

2016/17: 1.4 key passes per game in PL, 2.2 in Europa (4 total assists, included in the key pass stats)

2015/16: 1.0 kppg (1 assist)

2014/15: 1.4 kppg (6 assists)

2013/14: 1.1 kppg (2 assists)

2012/13: 0.7 kppg (0 assists)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105172/Show/James-Ward-Prowse

Thanks. Not sure whether that's a good statistic...? Although I would say that my assertion about 1 or 2 decent balls a game referred more to crossing rather than all passing - in light of the comparison to the Beckham video. I'm sure he makes more than one or two good passes per game!

Just seen there is an 'accurate crosses' per game at 0.6, sounds about right. The out of form Tadic, by comparison, has 1.8 key passes per game and 1 accurate cross. The even poorer Redmond also has 0.6 for crossing but 2.4 key passes. Steven Davis has 0.6 crosses and 1.1 key passes. So similar to others but actually not quite as good.

Edited by mrfahaji

Now further away from being a regular than in any of his 6 PL seasons.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15575780.Ward_Prowse_out_to_fight_for_his_Saints_place/?ref=rss

This bit interested me:

“I have always played in a deeper midfield role, and that’s where I see myself playing,” he reflected. “I spoke to him about it and about playing a more advanced and attacking role, which of course I am willing to as well."

Surely he sees the impact Lemina has had and realises all his weaknesses are the things that are essential in that position: strength, aggression, mobility, ability to put your foot in.

Six years on and I'm still not sure how realistically he gets in the starting team. Unfortunately for him, he rarely has a positive impact as a sub either.

I think the truth is if he was not from the academy he wouldn't have been given as long as he has. The other truth is if he was actually any good the bigger teams would have come in for him by now. Especially as he is English.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you Man city are watching him and rate him really highly (though not highly enough to ever actually make an attempt to sign him)

Now further away from being a regular than in any of his 6 PL seasons.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15575780.Ward_Prowse_out_to_fight_for_his_Saints_place/?ref=rss

This bit interested me:

“I have always played in a deeper midfield role, and that’s where I see myself playing,” he reflected. “I spoke to him about it and about playing a more advanced and attacking role, which of course I am willing to as well."

Surely he sees the impact Lemina has had and realises all his weaknesses are the things that are essential in that position: strength, aggression, mobility, ability to put your foot in.

Six years on and I'm still not sure how realistically he gets in the starting team. Unfortunately for him, he rarely has a positive impact as a sub either.

I think the deeper role is where he'll end up eventually. At what level he'll be playing then, I'm not so sure.

Neat and tidy on the ball, with the ability to switch play with decent mid-range passing and an eye for long through balls - that all worked great for him for the England u21s.

But it was against kids, mostly as physically underdeveloped as him. Unless he can match up to the adults in your average Premier League midfield, he's got no chance.

He doesn't have to be quick - Michael Carrick and Gareth Barry are proof of that. He doesn't have to be built like the Hulk - Ngolo Kante, Scott Parker, Dennis Wise, among others, have been more than able to hold their own.

But he does need to be able to tackle, to relish the battle for possession, to stop being so accommodatingly passive. He's never going to be bruiser, so his defensive work will have to be built around positional discipline, reading the play and being a step ahead, interceptions, and general enthusiastic harassment.

I'm not sure his development has been helped by not having a clearly defined role at Saints and playing a game here and there in this position and that. But that's his challenge to overcome.

I don't think he's a write-off as a footballer, but he's a player looking for an identity at present, and seems a bit lost, unfortunately.

Don't forget goalscorer.

Don't forget it was against a Fulham "11" and his 8th? in 200 odd appearances. 200 appearances and about 150 ish tackles in all that time.

Shame Harry Reed didn't get the chance that has been wasted by our Mr Plod. Still FootballFancast.com thinks he is shiite, see NewsNow article.

I think he needs to be loaned out. It's the only feasible way he's going to get a regular spot in one (his favoured) position. I'm sure there are plenty of Championship clubs that would find him useful and I think that league is a great league to develop your game on a physical level.

Don't forget it was against a Fulham "11" and his 8th? in 200 odd appearances. 200 appearances and about 150 ish tackles in all that time.

Shame Harry Reed didn't get the chance that has been wasted by our Mr Plod. Still FootballFancast.com thinks he is shiite, see NewsNow article.

I'm more interested in a back four that included Targett and McQueen. Who played where? McQueen hit the bar. He seems a versatile player.

I'm more interested in a back four that included Targett and McQueen. Who played where? McQueen hit the bar. He seems a versatile player. ;)

• 1 month later...
Tempted to suggest giving Ward-Prowse a few games in that wide left role. Can't be any worse than Redmond was today. At least we'll get good crosses into the box. In fact, I do suggest it.

Why he's rubbish.

Definitely worked today. If that's our game plan, getting those quality crosses in is the way to go. I think that's his best position as it plays to his only real strength.

Definitely worked today. If that's our game plan, getting those quality crosses in is the way to go. I think that's his best position as it plays to his only real strength.

I'm not really a fan of his. Think he is very limited. But you've summed it up perfectly.

He did well very today, doing the things he does well.

If it’s a straight choice between JWP and Redmond I’d take JWP. He offers more going forward with his set piece delivery. Redmond has not had a good season so far.

Been out of the team for a while, came back and earned his spot IMO.

Adds balance in the wide right role I think, different sort of threat from the right side with his crossing ability, whilst you have Boufal on the other side cutting in running at people.

I think many underestimate JWP, and in particular his partnership with Davis. He's not just a set piece specialist. For example, the assist for the last goal today and his workrate in pressing and linking play. If you think of him as an alternative to Redmond there's no question that he brings far more intelligence and coherence to the team.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've always liked us more as a side when he's in it. I get why people don't necessarily rate him, he isn't a player that stands out all the time, but he rarely gives the ball away and he is great at moving it around even if it isn't always incisive, creative passing. On the right he provides a great outlet and also the intelligence to slot in and allow Cedric to bomb on without fear. I think it's no coincidence Cedric had his best game of the season with JWP in front of him. He gets in ahead of Redmond every day of the week for me.

Edited by saintwbu

I've always liked us more as a side when he's in it. I get why people don't necessarily rate him, he isn't a player that stands out all the time, but he rarely gives the ball away and he is great at moving it around even if it isn't always incisive, relative passing. On the right he provides a great outlet and also the intelligence to slot in and allow Cedric to bomb on without fear. I think it's no coincidence Cedric had his best game of the season with JWP in front of him. He gets in ahead of Redmond every day of the week for me.
This. 100%

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've always liked us more as a side when he's in it. I get why people don't necessarily rate him, he isn't a player that stands out all the time, but he rarely gives the ball away and he is great at moving it around even if it isn't always incisive, creative passing. On the right he provides a great outlet and also the intelligence to slot in and allow Cedric to bomb on without fear. I think it's no coincidence Cedric had his best game of the season with JWP in front of him. He gets in ahead of Redmond every day of the week for me.

agree. Poch first played him wide right if I remember rightly and that clearly suits him...more so, give cedric decent cover...A bit like Marsden/Bridge from back in the day

We've been here before but a decent performance against the,worst team to visit SMS in a long time doesn't get him a place in the team for me I still think Romeu and Lemina are light years ahead of him. If we are going on yesterdays showing than Hoj is the one that comes out on top as well. Useful squad player but nothing more for me.

We've been here before but a decent performance against the,worst team to visit SMS in a long time doesn't get him a place in the team for me I still think Romeu and Lemina are light years ahead of him. If we are going on yesterdays showing than Hoj is the one that comes out on top as well. Useful squad player but nothing more for me.

But you're comparing apples with pears here. Neither of those players play in the same position that JWP did yesterday, and neither of them would be as effective if they did.

Positionally speaking, the player you should be comparing him to is Tadic, and JWP was more effective there in 90 minutes yesterday than Tadic has been all season IMO.

I thought him and PEH were a breath of fresh air yesterday. Regardless of the opposition they both took their chance to stake a claim. I would take him in the team over Redmond all day long mainly because his footballing brain works so much faster, and his dead ball deliveries are an asset, how many corners have we seen this season where the ball hasn't beaten the first man or beaten everyone, then the Tadic specials that most of the time are wafted into the keepers hands. Even taken from his less favoured side early on he arrowed a gem pretty much where he knew VVD would be rising to head it, he has a weapon in his feet that is an asset to the team.

The key thing with him is he is always moving and looking to move the ball, just about everyone agrees there are times when we play too slowly, the biggest culprits of that are Redmond and Tadic, even yesterday Tadic got away with it where he received the ball stopped got swamped then got a fortuitous ricochet ending up with his assist.

There is no doubt that if he is going to play, it needs to be on the right hand side. I think he complemented Cedric well, who offered most of our attacking threat down that side with his sheer pace.

That being said, I still think we can and need to do better down the right, IMO. Something I would address in January.

Aa ever with JWP, nobody actually knows what his best position is, even after 5 full PL seasons.

He can't play central midfield as a holder as is too slow, weak and not aggressive enough.

Can't play as a no10 as isnt creative enough, quick enough or a goal threat.

That only leaves the wide right role which he plays well if the RB can get forward but if they get pished back then he is ineffective as is no threat on the counter at all.

If you asked him, he would say he is a central midfielder!

Summary: still got a big problem knowing his best position and is good wide right when circumstances suit but not for a full season.

• 2 years later...