James Ward-Prowse

saintwbu

These comments. :lol:

Fans are frankly hilarious, pundits, 3 different managers, international manager all clearly rate him and play him, but fans who've never played at any decent level know better.

Ohh so true, he was one of are better players against Watford and was not even on pitch for 2nd half :D, thing is, Watford bullied us and we needed Lamina on for SD not JWP off for Tadic.

Ohh so true, he was one of are better players against Watford and was not even on pitch for 2nd half :D, thing is, Watford bullied us and we needed Lamina on for SD not JWP off for Tadic.

Not to mention the usually reliable Romeu had one of his worst game for us, which meant without Lemina as well our midfield lacked bite and presence. With Romeu performing and Lemina we won't get bullied and JWP can have more impact.

Fans are frankly hilarious, pundits, 3 different managers, international manager all clearly rate him and play him, but fans who've never played at any decent level know better.

Yes Mr Reed or his plant. Yes I do know better he is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

3 different managers playing him, is a bit of a stretch. 3 different managers that kept dropping him, is more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my god, how can anyone genuinely think this?! There might be mitigating circumstances for why he was anonymous/terrible, his performance doesn't necessarily mean that he won't ever be good either as AM or somewhere else, and it's true that the entire team were bad, but his contribution was nevertheless pathetic.

3 different managers playing him, is a bit of a stretch. 3 different managers that kept dropping him, is more accurate.

yeah that's more like it. Three different managers tried their hardest to make him a regular starter and none of them really went with it and stuck to it.

He was our worst player vs Watford and 3 manages all haven't made him first choice, actually 5 haven't. He getting worse.

yeah that's more like it. Three different managers tried their hardest to make him a regular starter and none of them really went with it and stuck to it.

Looked a star at 17 but is regressing fast. Beckham or Lampard never had pace or notable strength - but worked for hours every day on set pieces, running different angles, strengthening and finishing. JWP has good technique but that's not enough in an athletic PL. So he has to be as strong and techically proficent as possible to make any impact.

SFC is too cushy a number - Beckham had a loan spell at Preston and Lampard got terrible flack from Hammers fans early on. It toughened both up. JWP needs loaning out to a lower division where he is expected to be the best player, to lead and show the commitment of a PL player. Getting him out of his cosseted, protected environment might yet make a man of him. Football-wise - I don't know him as a person - he was a very mature 17 year old but gets towards his mid-20s badly naive.

Oh my god, how can anyone genuinely think this?! There might be mitigating circumstances for why he was anonymous/terrible, his performance doesn't necessarily mean that he won't ever be good either as AM or somewhere else, and it's true that the entire team were bad, but his contribution was nevertheless pathetic.

and what would u like JWP to do all on his own?( even though he put in quite a few beautiful balls into the box,which the rest of the team fail to get on the end of every single time.............. ), its a god dam team game, and his team performance was higher than most that appeared in this game, SD? Who the f was he against Watford? why was he even on the pitch when DM is not his position, why did he not create any thing? why didnt he close down faster for the first goal? why did he misplace so many passes? why didnt he do this and that? he is one of the older heads and should be expected to achieve a high level of performance week in week out....... Why did JWP have to keep tracking back and dropping deep to help out SD and Oreo? ive not seen you ask these questions yet, why was Redmond not taken off n Tadic brought on in his place instead of taking JWP off? why any thing? at end of day we lost, and instead of pointing at the players who couldn't give a sh!t in this game, you pick on one who was one of the better performers on the day and yet only played 45 min of it and by far created the most chances for us despite them all being from set plays................ yeah lets pick on the one who lives and breaths SFC yet kiss arse the ones here just for money.......... Sounds just about right...

Any one who thinks JWP would not be a top assist at a top club with a good team who can get on the end of free kicks and corners are just dam right deluded............. put him in Uniteds team and i can promise you he will be dangerous with his set plays when the team he is providing them for finish the god dam chances off....... and in turn he will get more and more confident and in turn this will make him perform better and better as his belief in him self grows.

Nearly every pundit and a lot of managers think JWP is a top player with a great future ahead of him and the BEST set piece taker in the league ( Already!!! ), come here and he is not even Prem quality HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA love you pro managers in here. you guys should apply at barca and real madrid. your awesome world class managers, i am shocked you all don't manage a top prem club.

Professional players / managers v's you lot, i know who i would rather agree with and its not you lot.

The best I would consider for him is a place on the bench for the last 15 minute ball in the box option if games aren't going our way.

You wouldn't play him as part of a two in the middle. You wouldn't play him as a number 10 because he doesn't have that defence splitting pass in him, IF he plays then it would be on the right of a 3 behind the striker. Even then against semi decent opposition, his lack of physical strength and lack of pace means, the game can pass him by on too common an occasion. Tadic doesn't have searing pace but he can at least pick out a pass. Think most on here and beyond will appreciate how being the remaining poster boy for our academy and the fact that no one ever tries to buy him means he gets more opportunities than most without ever consistently delivering.

You do not have to have been Ronaldo to see if a player can play or to

Manage a football team as many have proved over the years. Your argument is not in the least relevant,

and what would u like JWP to do all on his own?( even though he put in quite a few beautiful balls into the box,which the rest of the team fail to get on the end of every single time.............. ), its a god dam team game, and his team performance was higher than most that appeared in this game, SD? Who the f was he against Watford? why was he even on the pitch when DM is not his position, why did he not create any thing? why didnt he close down faster for the first goal? why did he misplace so many passes? why didnt he do this and that? he is one of the older heads and should be expected to achieve a high level of performance week in week out....... Why did JWP have to keep tracking back and dropping deep to help out SD and Oreo? ive not seen you ask these questions yet, why was Redmond not taken off n Tadic brought on in his place instead of taking JWP off? why any thing? at end of day we lost, and instead of pointing at the players who couldn't give a sh!t in this game, you pick on one who was one of the better performers on the day and yet only played 45 min of it and by far created the most chances for us despite them all being from set plays................ yeah lets pick on the one who lives and breaths SFC yet kiss arse the ones here just for money.......... Sounds just about right...

Any one who thinks JWP would not be a top assist at a top club with a good team who can get on the end of free kicks and corners are just dam right deluded............. put him in Uniteds team and i can promise you he will be dangerous with his set plays when the team he is providing them for finish the god dam chances off....... and in turn he will get more and more confident and in turn this will make him perform better and better as his belief in him self grows.

Nearly every pundit and a lot of managers think JWP is a top player with a great future ahead of him and the BEST set piece taker in the league ( Already!!! ), come here and he is not even Prem quality HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA love you pro managers in here. you guys should apply at barca and real madrid. your awesome world class managers, i am shocked you all don't manage a top prem club.

Professional players / managers v's you lot, i know who i would rather agree with and its not you lot.

Wow, you sound slightly unhinged. You said he was one of our best players vs Watford, and I argued he wasn't, while acknowledging that the entire team was bad.

Read his previous posts. Mosin is clearly a friend or relative of JWP and unfortunately his bias is clouding his judgement.

Not so sure..I sit near folk who defend him to the hilt, even on Saturday. However, any coach who puts him in a position where his limitations are totally exposed needs to look In the mirror..I'm more worried about Pellegrino's thought process.

Not so sure..I sit near folk who defend him to the hilt, even on Saturday. However, any coach who puts him in a position where his limitations are totally exposed needs to look In the mirror..I'm more worried about Pellegrino's thought process.
Nah. The majority of his posts are talking about jwp exclusively. He's a friend or relative for definite.

Ward Prowse isn't and never will be a #10. It's therefore not his fault that the manager played him there. I think he plays his best football wide of a front three, he should be competing with Redmond, not Tadic/Boufal.

People say he is best out wide for his crossing ability but with no proper big CF in the squad plus a lack of runs from midfield all the crossing we do is pointless. The team need to cut out the high crosses and look to play to their strengths.

JWP doesn't have a useful role to play in the team right now he can't play the 10, can't play DM and we don't need a slow wide player who's only attribute is the ability to bang another high cross into an opposition box containing an isolated Gabbi and six of the opposing team.

Edited by doddisalegend

People say he is best out wide for his crossing ability but with no proper big CF in the squad plus a lack of runs from midfield all the crossing we do is pointless. The team need to cut out the high crosses and look to play to thier strengths.

JWP doesn't have a useful role to play in the team right now can't play the 10, can't play DM and we don't need a slow wide player who's only attribute is the ability to bang another high cross into an opposition box containing an isolated Gabbi and six of the opposing team.

Very much this

He's a good player, no doubt, but imho, he is not effective enough in a midfield role as he seems to struggle to influence games. I think he'd be a much more effective attacking right back. He'd have less of the pitch to cover when working the channels and his delivery on crosses would be a bonus.

Have you considered the main attribute a decent attacking full back has to have is pace? Look at Cedric, Kyle Walker, Clyne, Bellarin, Shaw, Valencia etc, they are all quick players and unfortunately pace is the major thing lacking with JWP. He's good enough in some midfield positions when the tactics are right, but he should never be played as an attacking full back (unless in a dire emergency).

He's a good player, no doubt, but imho, he is not effective enough in a midfield role as he seems to struggle to influence games. I think he'd be a much more effective attacking right back. He'd have less of the pitch to cover when working the channels and his delivery on crosses would be a bonus.

Aside from no pace, no strength, an inability to tackle or head or defend in any demonstrable way, he's pretty much the definition of the perfect right back.

People say he is best out wide for his crossing ability but with no proper big CF in the squad plus a lack of runs from midfield all the crossing we do is pointless. The team need to cut out the high crosses and look to play to their strengths.

JWP doesn't have a useful role to play in the team right now he can't play the 10, can't play DM and we don't need a slow wide player who's only attribute is the ability to bang another high cross into an opposition box containing an isolated Gabbi and six of the opposing team.

Pretty much agree with this, however the problem is we have too many players at the moment who "are not currently good enough". If we had a few decent attackers then playing a third midfielder (link player) wouldn't be a problem. Problem is when we play Davis at DM and JWP out wide, we're too weak in midfield. When Lemina comes in, we can't play both Davis and JWP. We then need either of those to be getting forward and supporting the other 3 attacking players rather than sitting on the half way line. Fact is all of our attacking options don't really score that many, and don't play in a defined way.

----Romeu----Lemina----

?-------Davis/JWP-------?

------------?-------------

Spot on.

At WBA or a similar club that always uses a target striker, he'd certainly have a role. I feel a bit sorry for JWP actually, he's part of a dreadful midfield group (Oriol and Lemina apart) and he isn't quite creative or productive enough to justify building a team around. He'll play better alongside an on-song Romeu and Lemina, but we need more from the position.

It just sums up that Reed and Wilson have lost their way and sentiment may be clouding business decisions whereas 2015 and before they were more prepared to make them. It's almost as if JWP represents more than a footballer and that's unhealthy. I hope MP challenges them on this and other aspects because Claude was ultra-compliant in public and paid the price.

JWP is a good example of what I call a gauge player. You can use him to identify the sort of fan you are;

if you think and say that JWP is a waste of space, then you are probably all about pub-game-sing-goals-pub-home. you watch through a beer glass (metaphorically) and often from the ends. you enjoy the fist pumping adrenaline of the game and are not so bothered about strategy or intellectual pursuits. probably slightly lower IQ, or drunk. you watch the ball, and you reward heart, big tackles, big goals, and assists.

If you think JWP is a super-talented England future captain, then you are probably more interested in tactics, shape and strategy. you watch from the sides or on TV and you are enthralled by off-the-ball movement. you watch the team and are interested in how different players work together. you may have a slightly higher IQ, and you probably don't sing much at the match. you notice build up movement, and not just the assist and the goal at the end. you are middle class and probably a bit of an areshole.

If you think JWP is a decent player with a good football brain, a superb delivery that we don't make the most of, and who has the potential to be better than we have seen so far, (and who must be good if Man City continue to monitor), then you are a rational fan. you watch the team, you support the players, you cheer when we score and you slump in your seat when we concede. you appreciate any player who gives it his best. (except Forster, who is currently devil incarnate and can do no right).

JWP is a good example of what I call a gauge player. You can use him to identify the sort of fan you are;

if you think and say that JWP is a waste of space, then you are probably all about pub-game-sing-goals-pub-home. you watch through a beer glass (metaphorically) and often from the ends. you enjoy the fist pumping adrenaline of the game and are not so bothered about strategy or intellectual pursuits. probably slightly lower IQ, or drunk. you watch the ball, and you reward heart, big tackles, big goals, and assists.

If you think JWP is a super-talented England future captain, then you are probably more interested in tactics, shape and strategy. you watch from the sides or on TV and you are enthralled by off-the-ball movement. you watch the team and are interested in how different players work together. you may have a slightly higher IQ, and you probably don't sing much at the match. you notice build up movement, and not just the assist and the goal at the end. you are middle class and probably a bit of an areshole.

If you think JWP is a decent player with a good football brain, a superb delivery that we don't make the most of, and who has the potential to be better than we have seen so far, (and who must be good if Man City continue to monitor), then you are a rational fan. you watch the team, you support the players, you cheer when we score and you slump in your seat when we concede. you appreciate any player who gives it his best. (except Forster, who is currently devil incarnate and can do no right).

What an utterly flawed and condescending post.

**** me, there's pony and then there's ashnats pony.

He is an intelligent player, with a decent technique, touch & football brain. However, he is slow, weak and just can't impose his skills on the game. We binned Juanmi once this became apparent & im pretty sure we'd have binned JWP had he been a foreign signing. People who say he'll come good are running out of time imo . He's getting further & further away from becoming a regular. He really should be pushing Davo for a start but he's nowhere near. He was adequate last season in a wide right role, whether that was down to Claude's coaching (and before others start, plenty of players have praised his 1-1 coaching in the past), or whether it's down to that being his natural role is unclear. The only way to find out is to give him games and we just can't afford that. He needs to be playing week in week out. He clearly needs a loan, maybe to the championship or even France or Holland. At the moment he's just not good enough.

**** me, there's pony and then there's ashnats pony.

He is an intelligent player, with a decent technique, touch & football brain. However, he is slow, weak and just can't impose his skills on the game. We binned Juanmi once this became apparent & im pretty sure we'd have binned JWP had he been a foreign signing. People who say he'll come good are running out of time imo . He's getting further & further away from becoming a regular. He really should be pushing Davo for a start but he's nowhere near. He was adequate last season in a wide right role, whether that was down to Claude's coaching (and before others start, plenty of players have praised his 1-1 coaching in the past), or whether it's down to that being his natural role is unclear. The only way to find out is to give him games and we just can't afford that. He needs to be playing week in week out. He clearly needs a loan, maybe to the championship or even France or Holland. At the moment he's just not good enough.

you basically agree with my point, you just didn't understand what I was getting at.

I'd seen improvements in him towards the end of last season and in pre-season but he hasn't really stepped up in the games so far - then again none of our other attacking midfielders are either. I'd certainly be playing him ahead of Davis who for me was woeful all of last season and doesn't look any better this season. While a good part of that is being played out of position (he is most definitely not a DM) he hasn't looked up to much as an AM either recently and in my opinion is on the downswing of his career and should be used off the bench/as cover rather than starting.

I honestly wouldn't mind giving JWP a few games as the number 10 to see how he does, though anyone playing that position needs the two wide players to pull their weight to be effective. That doesn't mean the wide players should be banging crosses in either as that's what our overlapping fullbacks are meant to be for. Rather they need to pressure the defense and help open up space for the striker (or make a chance for themselves).

Honestly I think they all just need a good kick up the backside as lack of effort is hurting us as much as anything else. Tactics might be a contributing factor but the Watford display just showcased to me that we didn't want it as much as they did.

Ward Prowse is not progressing. None of the weaknesses of his game have been improved in five years; he is still hopeless in tackles, hopeless in the air with his head and can't run. Can't tackle, can't head, can't run - perfect attributes for a mid-fielder. England have now dropped him, without Reed's cloak of protection the truth has been laid bare by Southgate. Ward Prowse is not a PL footballer and would struggle even in the Championship.

Spot on ...look at our corner on Saturday on the six yard line first half on one occasion we had Gabbi and 5 x 6ft plus Watford defenders never going to win that with no Pelle type.

Coming on with 20 minutes to go seems to be his best role when others are tiring.

Never a number 10 as long as he has a hole in his ar8e that's not his fault.

Marmite....Chalobah made him look 2nd division.

I like to give all our players a lot of time to prove themselves. JWP has had a lot of PL games to do so....

12/13 - 15 games - 483 minutes

13/14 - 34 games - 1604 minutes

14/15 - 25 games - 1476 minutes

15/16 - 33 games - 1533 minutes

16/17 - 30 games - 1884 miuntes

17/18 - 4 games - 160 minutes

Total 141 games - 7 goals, 18 assists, a goal every 1020 minutes played

So the stats show that he has a **** poor goal scoring record. He should be getting at least 7-10 a season. So he is not fulfilling the AM/CM role.

He lacks an incisive pass. He generally passes sideways or backwards. He has no pace to beat people. He does not run at people with the ball. He doesn't tackle overly well. He doesn't head the ball. He can sometimes hit a dead ball pretty well.

He's in his 6th season with us and he isn't producing the goods. Isn't it time to move on to someone else? Or maybe he is considered to still be young (22) and that he might be able to produce something??

Some absolute dross in here tbhtbf.

Why its peoples opinions isn't that was this is for?

We all want him to do well and deliver and no-one would be more delighted than me if he gets the winner or creates a couple on Saturday.

Last Saturday he was awful in a wrong position he can't play...he wasn't alone.

I thought it was funny

Can see how it might be if you read it as a p1ss-take post, but the danger on here is it's not always easy to tell them apart from the posts that appear to be genuinely taking a view... I thought ashnats was being serious to an extent, hence my comment. Apologies if it was just one big joke though, I missed it.

You must be watching a different player to me then. He looked out of place and didn't have a good game on Saturday, but the thing about his delivery is exactly that it's _not_ hit and hope and high but whipped in and away from the keeper. we just don't commit players enough to get on the end of them.

Criticise by all means, but that's not a legitimate point.

You must be watching a different player to me then. He looked out of place and didn't have a good game on Saturday, but the thing about his delivery is exactly that it's _not_ hit and hope and high but whipped in and away from the keeper. we just don't commit players enough to get on the end of them.

Criticise by all means, but that's not a legitimate point.

It very much is. You can quibble over how good his delivery is but the players we have just aren't suited to game that revolves around crossing from wide hence there is little point including JWP out wide in the side to facilitate crossing.

He flatters to deceive. How many goals has he scored from a free kick ? Not many, if any. He's no Rickie Lambert that's for sure.

Everytime I think JWP has cracked it, found a place and looks good it all fades away again and he's back at square one.

I'm thinking Matt Oakley and Neil Maddison everytime I watch him.

It very much is. You can quibble over how good his delivery is but the players we have just aren't suited to game that revolves around crossing from wide hence there is little point including JWP out wide in the side to facilitate crossing.

No, my point is people were using it as a personal criticism, not a tactical one.

Classic player who is probably great in training but struggles to have any real impact on games.

Its his 6th PL season, I don't see that he is suddenly going to improve any more than a player aged 27 or 28.

He will never be quicker, stronger or more aggressive and those are his wesknesses.

Decent PL squad member but will never be a top player. No disgrace in that.

Never really got the hype over JWP - guess some of it is because he came out of the academy when we were producing some good ones and he caught some of the reflected praise. I'm sure he's probably got a decent attitude in training etc and has some decent technique when crossing or taking a set piece but that's about it. Every time I see him he looks scared to play anything other than sideways and seems petrified when given a shot at goal. He's certainly not dynamic and neither does he tackle well. I suppose he may eventually be as good as Davis but I really don't see that happening and I think his natural level is more championship than premier league. Nothing against the lad but if he had something then it would have been clear by now - don't expect massive improvement from him.

What's really sad is how close he is to the England squad - should never ever be near it.

He flatters to deceive. How many goals has he scored from a free kick ? Not many, if any. He's no Rickie Lambert that's for sure.

Everytime I think JWP has cracked it, found a place and looks good it all fades away again and he's back at square one.

I'm thinking Matt Oakley and Neil Maddison everytime I watch him.

Oakley was a class player. Much better.