Retrospective Bans On Diving

Wade Garrett

Looks like there will be retrospective bans for diving next season.

Not before time. It is a blight on our game.

Sam Allardyce is against it. No surprise there. His sides are always the most guilty of this form of cheating.

Tadic better wise up as well.

Sam Allardyce is against it. No surprise there. His sides are always the most guilty of this form of cheating.

Beat me to it

.................what about the other way round where someone ACTUALLY sticks Shane Long up in the air, and the ref waves away the incident based on Longs reputation?

Edited by John Boy Saint

So if a referee correctly notices a dive at the time of the incident, the player only gets a yellow card and no ban.

But if the referee fails to notice and incorrectly gives a pen the player gets a two game ban?

Or have I misunderstood?

To b fair from what I heard on the radio it sounded like allardyce didn't think it went far enough and videos during the game should be used.

So if a referee correctly notices a dive at the time of the incident, the player only gets a yellow card and no ban.

But if the referee fails to notice and incorrectly gives a pen the player gets a two game ban?

Or have I misunderstood?

Apparently that is correct (usual incompetency from the FA in terms of how they apply punishment). Only applies to penalties, straight red cards and sendings off (i.e. second yellow). Has been in place in SPL for several years I heard. What also isn't clear is how this will be policed, i.e. will a review board check incidents in every game, or will it require the opposition to appeal, or will it happen if someone posts it on Facebook. The FA are quite right to try and stamp this out, but their way of doing so is badly thought through. Might as well sell Tadic this summer, otherwise he will only get 1 game in 3 next season :-)

What happens if a player forces contact? i.e. stops running suddenly to ensure a player goes into the back of him. All sorts of permuatations for this idea. As alluded to above, wonder how effectively this will be enforced against the 'big' teams? Will the FA be willing to ban Dele Alli before a big clash between Spurs and Chelsea? Will they ****.

EDIT: Will they be retrospectively punishing clever play too? As that's what English players do instead of diving, according to the pundits and media.

in theory, it is a great idea.

in practise, it will be horrendous as they will ensure they see Sanchez or Aguero or Gabriel Jesus or who ever get the slightest of touches that meant they can get away with flopping all over the floor