Puel to be axed next week

once_bitterne

Apart from it being utter cobblers pulled from outright making stuff up from Ralph's interview where all he said was "the football side debrief next week".

The club are very good at PR. It's funny how all these stories have suddenly appeared in the last weeks. I would be shocked if they weren't leaked by the club to pave the way for his dismissal.

I would say there is a very good chance he will be dismissed next week.

Would be bad timing if true I think, we'd be in a much better position to keep hold of players if we had a new manager for a couple of games and a couple of good results before the window opens. And it will be complete lunacy if we lose him without having somebody lined up to take over immediately.

Would be bad timing if true I think, we'd be in a much better position to keep hold of players if we had a new manager for a couple of games and a couple of good results before the window opens. And it will be complete lunacy if we lose him without having somebody lined up to take over immediately.

If he's going to be sacked, next week is absolutely the best time to do t and get a new manager in far quicker than last year's elongated period. If he's lost the players someone needs to go and be replaced before mid June.

Definitely no smoke without fire on this one.

Or sack him early, re assure players who are unsettled and wait to see if your preferred target becomes available, if he isn't already.

Most of our signing are made by the club (and not the manager) so I don't see what the rush is.

As long as we have the new man in place by pre season, we'll be alright.

If he's going to be sacked, next week is absolutely the best time to do t and get a new manager in far quicker than last year's elongated period. If he's lost the players someone needs to go and be replaced before mid June.

Definitely no smoke without fire on this one.

Maybe Les would rather sort out the clubs summer transfers without the inconvenience of a manager telling him what the squad needs or trying to get les to sign players he wants...

Maybe Les would rather sort out the clubs summer transfers without the inconvenience of a manager telling him what the squad needs or trying to get les to sign players he wants...

It's more about acting fast to avoid any speculation and get into the planning phase for me. The last two manager appointments haven't been optimal in a football sense. We can kind of forgive the first one as Koeman was a success and here had been semi upheaval with Cortese, then Poch and group of key players leaving.

A good bit of swift decision making probably wouldn't be a bad thing if it's going to happen of course.

Will be tricky if we win 5-0 on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we do, plenty on here will still say:

Too little too late

We'll only be back to boredom next season

Stoke are cr@p. Only 5?

We got lucky

But he won't pick that team again

He was desperate to save himself

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We do have an ungrateful bunch of fans, we are likely to finish 8/9th, the club will benefit by millions due to the high place in the league and still the manager is goign to be sacked.

I do hope you fans who want him gone know what we may get once he's gone. The squad any manger would inherit will struggle to get the team up higher in the league. If they have a fit Austin Gabbi, and VVD then they would have a chance,

Apparently (I was told this some months ago ) Steve Bruce is great friends with Les.

We do have an ungrateful bunch of fans, we are likely to finish 8/9th, the club will benefit by millions due to the high place in the league and still the manager is goign to be sacked.

I do hope you fans who want him gone know what we may get once he's gone. The squad any manger would inherit will struggle to get the team up higher in the league. If they have a fit Austin Gabbi, and VVD then they would have a chance,

Apparently (I was told this some months ago ) Steve Bruce is great friends with Les.

Lol Jesus could you imagine if we replaced Puel with Steve Bruce .?

Not that we will of course.

The club won't sack him based purely on moaning from the fans. For all we know he is hard to deal with for example. Maybe the club have seen his training methods? Who knows. The stories today highlight that the players aren't happy with a lot of things. Fan pressure will have some bearing but it won't be the only factor.

Doubt it didn't Les sack Pardew just after we'd destroyed Bristol Rovers like 4-0

No. Cortese sacked Pardew, Cortese hire Adkins, Cortese hired Poch.

Les got rid of the two best managers we've had in two decades. In fact by that Metric I would say Puel's job is safe.

The rewriting of history on this board, and complete removal of credit with regards to NC is embarrassing. Just except that he was pivotal in where we are now. And in the 3 years since he left the club, we're in exactly the same spot in the league (although slightly worse, or slightly better depending on what metrics you use). The fact remains, why on earth people want to air brush him from history is beyond me.

Also in The Times this morning (paywall)

Southampton players pushing for Puel exit

Southampton look increasingly likely to part company with Claude Puel after complaints by the players about their manager.

Chief among the issues is a concern over the way the team is being set up under the Frenchman. Some also believe Puel has favourites in the squad, regardless of form, while others have been unhappy with the decision to start Nathan Redmond in only three of the past six games. There is dissatisfaction, too, about Puel’s decision to name his starting side at the eleventh hour, leaving players less time to prepare.

Ralph Krueger, the Southampton chairman, said that a review of the season will take place next week, but some fans have already turned against Puel, who succeeded Ronald Koeman last summer. Puel led the club to the EFL Cup final, in which they lost to Manchester United, and eighth place in the Premier League — two places below where they finished last season — with one game to go.

The club won't sack him based purely on moaning from the fans. For all we know he is hard to deal with for example. Maybe the club have seen his training methods? Who knows. The stories today highlight that the players aren't happy with a lot of things. Fan pressure will have some bearing but it won't be the only factor.

Poor season ticket renewals?

Les got rid of the two best managers we've had in two decades. In fact by that Metric I would say Puel's job is safe.

The rewriting of history on this board, and complete removal of credit with regards to NC is embarrassing. Just except that he was pivotal in where we are now. And in the 3 years since he left the club, we're in exactly the same spot in the league (although slightly worse, or slightly better depending on what metrics you use). The fact remains, why on earth people want to air brush him from history is beyond me.

Calm down mate. He was simply pointing out that Pardew got sacked after a 4 - 0 win. It's not really relevant who pulled the trigger, the point he was making was that irrespective of the result at the weekend CP is not safe.

As for airbrushing NC out of our history - cant say that I've noticed that at all. I think that most fans recognize that he was pivotal in our initial rise through the leagues to where we are now - everybody is thankful of his contribution as far as I can make out. He got the bullet, as I understand it, because he was less than frugal with other peoples money. Cant argue with that. You obviously idolize the guy, and that's fair enough, but if he really was all that, wouldn't some other club have snapped his hand off and installed him at the helm. Just asking like, chill.

My guess is that the replacement is already lined up.

It is. It is the responsibility of the 'Black Box' to have already checked out replacements for everybody in the club - a well known fact.

"Got rid" is a very funny way of saying being paid compensation by bigger clubs (like it or not) for them.

And as for airbrushing history, Cortese would know all about that.

Southampton look increasingly likely to part company with Claude Puel after complaints by the players about their manager.

Chief among the issues is a concern over the way the team is being set up under the Frenchman. Some also believe Puel has favourites in the squad, regardless of form, while others have been unhappy with the decision to start Nathan Redmond in only three of the past six games. There is dissatisfaction, too, about Puel’s decision to name his starting side at the eleventh hour, leaving players less time to prepare.

Ralph Krueger, the Southampton chairman, said that a review of the season will take place next week, but some fans have already turned against Puel, who succeeded Ronald Koeman last summer. Puel led the club to the EFL Cup final, in which they lost to Manchester United, and eighth place in the Premier League — two places below where they finished last season — with one game to go.

Can I just add that I and a few other stated they were unhappy a few weeks ago... Obviously not believed by the usual suspects as it was negative towards the club, but unless the papers have been reading here (very doubtful) it appears they've been told the same thing as me :D

Can I just add that I and a few other stated they were unhappy a few weeks ago... Obviously not believed by the usual suspects as it was negative towards the club, but unless the papers have been reading here (very doubtful) it appears they've been told the same thing as me :D

The papers state the players are unhappy and not starting and that certain players always get picked despite form. I'm intrigued to know who these always get picked players are?

The only players who seem to have got constant game time ( considering Puel has been criticised for to much rotation) are Davis and Forster and the back four. So who are the players who think they should be starting in front of others every week?

Clasie for one seems to get pretty harsh treatment. Caceres we've seen once. Maybe Hoj is a bit miffed at few starts? Or perhaps Jay Rod has been throwing his nappies around. He looks the type. I think Puel would do himself a few favours by just, occasionally, playing a winning team. Rotation or no rotation. Winning sure is a good pain reliever.

The papers state the players are unhappy and not starting and that certain players always get picked despite form. I'm intrigued to know who these always get picked players are?

The only players who seem to have got constant game time ( considering Puel has been criticised for to much rotation) are Davis and Forster and the back four. So who are the players who think they should be starting in front of others every week?

In all honesty that part is news to me, so I can't confirm the validity of that. I was just aware that a large number of the squad weren't exactly impressed with Puel's (including Black in this as well) methods and philosophy (a bit like the fans) to put it nicely. I was also aware that a number wanted out come the end of the season. If this will change now it appears Puel will go, I don't know? I suspect Bertrand may well still go.

I'm assuming those that feel he has favorites are like likes of Clasie, who no matter how well he plays, gets dropped the next game.

Really? Leaving the professional players less time to prepare? I expect the whole sodding squad to be ready and eager to play, like when I'm not in my team's matchday squad and still chuck my boots in the boot when I go along to watch in case I get the opportunity to be on the bench and pay subs' match fees. As for players not being happy not playing, quite right too. Redmond hasn't had good games every time he's played either and nor has Tadic. And if he doesn't play "his favourites" he gets criticised for rotation.

There's room for improvement and we desparately need to score more goals, but some of the criticism is inconsistent c**p.

In all honesty that part is news to me, so I can't confirm the validity of that. I was just aware that a large number of the squad weren't exactly impressed with Puel's (including Black in this as well) methods and philosophy (a bit like the fans) to put it nicely. I was also aware that a number wanted out come the end of the season. If this will change now it appears Puel will go, I don't know? I suspect Bertrand may well still go.

I'm assuming those that feel he has favorites are like likes of Clasie, who no matter how well he plays, gets dropped the next game.

It's weird both Hazard and Henry have both praised his methods maybe Puels methods work best on world class players ?

It's weird both Hazard and Henry have both praised his methods maybe Puels methods work best on world class players

I'm sure he is a very good manager, just one that is not suited to the fast pace of English football.

As I've said, not all down to Puel, you've got to look at his assistant as well....

I'm sure he is a very good manager, just one that is not suited to the fast pace of English football.

As I've said, not all down to Puel, you've got to look at his assistant as well....

I'm much more concerned to get rid of Black.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wonder if Puel would be prepared to work under a more experienced premier league manager? Perhaps learn under Pellegrini for 2-3 seasons and then take the reins?

Would Pellegrini make Puel's lunch and pack his lunchbox too?

Really don't like the idea that the players are pushing for him to go, not least because they're off at the first hint of a bigger club sniffing. Players are paid to train and play if picked. That's it. Not to like or dislike the manager.

Some also believe Puel has favourites in the squad, regardless of form - really? Anyone been in form who hasn't been chosen and anyone who is obviously a favourite? I imagine that this might be about PEH and Clasie never being picked.

The Redmond bit I can understand.

There is dissatisfaction, too, about Puel’s decision to name his starting side at the eleventh hour, leaving players less time to prepare - can't see a problem with this. All of them should prepare as if they were going to be playing.