Puel to be axed next week

once_bitterne

I wonder if Puel would be prepared to work under a more experienced premier league manager? Perhaps learn under Pellegrini for 2-3 seasons and then take the reins?

That's almost amusing. Maybe Wenger could also wind down towards retirement and give us a season as boot boy, chipping in a bit of advice along the way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm sure he is a very good manager, just one that is not suited to the fast pace of English football.

As I've said, not all down to Puel, you've got to look at his assistant as well....

And his Director of Football who has been responsible for recruitment.

Whilst Puel may have some flaws, he has been given a pretty sh!tty hand at times, and cursed by injuries.

I wonder if Puel would be prepared to work under a more experienced premier league manager? Perhaps learn under Pellegrini for 2-3 seasons and then take the reins?

WTF would he consider doing that ? He's an experienced manager in his own right not a novice.

Really don't like the idea that the players are pushing for him to go, not least because they're off at the first hint of a bigger club sniffing. Players are paid to train and play if picked. That's it. Not to like or dislike the manager.

Some also believe Puel has favourites in the squad, regardless of form - really? Anyone been in form who hasn't been chosen and anyone who is obviously a favourite? I imagine that this might be about PEH and Clasie never being picked.

The Redmond bit I can understand.

There is dissatisfaction, too, about Puel’s decision to name his starting side at the eleventh hour, leaving players less time to prepare - can't see a problem with this. All of them should prepare as if they were going to be playing.

I think it's a question of mental preparation rather than a fitness issue.

The papers state the players are unhappy and not starting and that certain players always get picked despite form. I'm intrigued to know who these always get picked players are?

The only players who seem to have got constant game time ( considering Puel has been criticised for to much rotation) are Davis and Forster and the back four. So who are the players who think they should be starting in front of others every week?

Romeu too. I don't know why he always has to play him. And why he only picks his favourites. And why he keeps rotating as well. Branf**t in!!!!!

And his Director of Football who has been responsible for recruitment.

Whilst Puel may have some flaws, he has been given a pretty sh!tty hand at times, and cursed by injuries.

WTF would he consider doing that ? He's an experienced manager in his own right not a novice.

Exactly Pellegrini has just finished taking his Chinese team to 7th in a 16 team league I doubt he has an interest returning to the boring old PL now he us ripping up China.

I thought the issue was rotation , now it's that he always plays his favourites.

As for the side being announced just before the game upsetting the players, diddums . As one expro said today, you need to prepare physically & mentally as if you're starting, even if you're on the bench. If they're saying that they need to know whether they're starting earlier in the week , highlights a lack of professionalism if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do have an ungrateful bunch of fans, we are likely to finish 8/9th, the club will benefit by millions due to the high place in the league and still the manager is goign to be sacked.

I do hope you fans who want him gone know what we may get once he's gone. The squad any manger would inherit will struggle to get the team up higher in the league. If they have a fit Austin Gabbi, and VVD then they would have a chance,

Apparently (I was told this some months ago ) Steve Bruce is great friends with Les.

You've changed your tune. I thought people who thought 8th in the table was a good achievement were all brainwashed by Les Reed?

Really don't like the idea that the players are pushing for him to go, not least because they're off at the first hint of a bigger club sniffing. Players are paid to train and play if picked. That's it. Not to like or dislike the manager.

Some also believe Puel has favourites in the squad, regardless of form - really? Anyone been in form who hasn't been chosen and anyone who is obviously a favourite? I imagine that this might be about PEH and Clasie never being picked.

The Redmond bit I can understand.

There is dissatisfaction, too, about Puel’s decision to name his starting side at the eleventh hour, leaving players less time to prepare - can't see a problem with this. All of them should prepare as if they were going to be playing.

Tennis player hire their own coaches, I don't see why footballers shouldn't have a say in who gets to coach them. Some speculation that Messi encouraged the Argentinian FA to hire Sampaoli (done today, Berizzo probably replacing him at Sevilla) and that he is pushing for Tuchel to take over at Barcelona instead of Valverde. The players are the ones who will have to work with the guy everyday, it is only sensible that their opinions be taken into account.

By this time next week....expect to see the words ' by mutual consent'....and 'Southampton football club'.... used in the same sentence.

is this best guess or are you on to something?

any idea who is lined up to come in, if true?

I thought the issue was rotation , now it's that he always plays his favourites.

As for the side being announced just before the game upsetting the players, diddums . As one expro said today, you need to prepare physically & mentally as if you're starting, even if you're on the bench. If they're saying that they need to know whether they're starting earlier in the week , highlights a lack of professionalism if you ask me.

No, no, no! It's because he doesn't do a good interview!! He shouldn't make an effort to speak English when he's not perfect at it, he should use a translator instead like Pochettino!

As an aside: Markus wanted shot of Pardew, because he allowed the team to take their foot off the gas for the rest of the season after the JPT win. Cortese told him not to be so hasty.

Dont know who told you that pile of poop, cortese fell out with pardew weeks before the JPT final.

By this time next week....expect to see the words ' by mutual consent'....and 'Southampton football club'.... used in the same sentence.

I'm hearing this too.

Expect to hear the words "Nigel Adkins" as well.

Interesting conversation this evening with somebody (non-Saints fan) well connected with a first team player. Basically the newspaper reports are spot on - some players are fed up with Puel, the perceived favouritism and late announcement of the line up (one player really kicked off on Wednesday after being told he was dropped). Player dissent also forced the change of tactics earlier in the season. General feeling amongst the players is that Puel is gone.

Interesting conversation this evening with somebody (non-Saints fan) well connected with a first team player. Basically the newspaper reports are spot on - some players are fed up with Puel, the perceived favouritism and late announcement of the line up (one player really kicked off on Wednesday after being told he was dropped). Player dissent also forced the change of tactics earlier in the season. General feeling amongst the players is that Puel is gone.

Just wonder how many of the players agitating for Puel to be removed intend being here next season if they get their wish.

Bertrand?

The only phrase I want to read containing Southampton FC, mutual consent & Nigel Adkins is " Puel leaves by mutual consent, and like Nigel Adkins is unlucky to lose his job". Nigel Adkins mentioned in any other context is a bit frightening imo .

Win % at Saints

Nigel Adkins 55%

Claude Puel 38%

See, this is when you discredit yourself. You know that Nigel took us up through the leagues with a vastly superior squad to anyone else until we reached the top flight, without looking, I would imagine that his win % is better than that of Poch and Koeman too. You are comparing apples with oranges and look a fool for it.

Well, I would like to give him till january to see what he can do with (hopefully) a less injury hit season and more of "his" team, but I also wouldn't be too upset if he was sacked - especially if we have a quality replacement lined up.

If he does go however, I won't count him as a failed manager at all, just one for whom nothing ever really fell into place.

The only phrase I want to read containing Southampton FC, mutual consent & Nigel Adkins is " Puel leaves by mutual consent, and like Nigel Adkins is unlucky to lose his job". Nigel Adkins mentioned in any other context is a bit frightening imo .

has signed a 2 year deal with former Saints manager Nigel Adkins joining him as assistant

Caceres, Jrod, Claise, boufal, Bertrand, pied or hoijberg then. My guess jrod.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Adkins and Puel as a joint management team.

Adkins works on the attacking side, Puel on the defensive.

When we need to win, Adkins is in control of tactics; when we're hanging onto a lead, Puel is in charge.

Or - Adkins is in charge for the home games, Puel for the away games.

Dont know who told you that pile of poop, cortese fell out with pardew weeks before the JPT final.

We owe Cortese and Markus more than anyone else in recent history, and yet fans will still attack NC on here with no remorse, and no matter how much crap they spout doing it. He had no hand in any good decisions and was responsible for every bad one according to some on here. You couldn't make it up. I suspect in 10years time led Reed will have been responsible for ML buying the club in the first place, and NC will have been written into the history books as being responsible for not signing back up for VVD. HTH.

Win % at Saints

Nigel Adkins 55%

Claude Puel 38%

2.1/10

A failed blast from the past (for Puel insert MP etc). Thought you had moved on from that.

Take a mulligan, little fella.

Edited by shurlock

We owe Cortese and Markus more than anyone else in recent history, and yet fans will still attack NC on here with no remorse, and no matter how much crap they spout doing it. He had no hand in any good decisions and was responsible for every bad one according to some on here. You couldn't make it up. I suspect in 10years time led Reed will have been responsible for ML buying the club in the first place, and NC will have been written into the history books as being responsible for not signing back up for VVD. HTH.

Nigel was the right man at the right time and after Lawrie is my favourite Saints manager, but it will be ****ing mental to re-appoint him. I just hope the poster was joking . I'd have him running the development squad but wouldn't let him anywhere near the first team.

Caceres, Jrod, Claise, boufal, Bertrand, pied or hoijberg then. My guess jrod.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I heard JRod had Puel in a headlock just before the players came out of the tunnel. Kenzie Benali had to talk him down and he let go before the cameras started rolling.

Eric Black has left Southampton football club by mutual consent. Nigel Pearson returns to the club as assistant coach to Claude Puel, to sort out player fitness issues, and to give them a good kick up their cry-baby bums when necessary.

What would be more relevant to the current situation, would be win % in the Premier League. But even that would still be a flawed way to look at things.

Win % in Premier League

Adkins - 22%

Puel - 32%

Adkins had Danny Fox at left back and Kelvin in goal, I rest my case m'lord

Eric Black has left Southampton football club by mutual consent. Nigel Pearson returns to the club as assistant coach to Claude Puel, to sort out player fitness issues, and to give them a good kick up their cry-baby bums when necessary.

Claude has also promised to ring the players mummies 36 hours before the match,to let them know whether they're starting or not.

(Sad) reality is most PL players would just laugh at Adkins if he became Manager. #pressuremakesdiamonds

That is just how it works for English Managers unfortunately.

If he was called Nigelo Adkinez then we'd all be warming up to him.