Matt Oakley

9-3

Retires this season at the age of 39 with Exeter who have reached the play off final against Blackpool at Wembley.

After playing for Saints in the 2003 Cup Final against Arsenal at Cardiff,

played for Derby and Leicester and captained both teams.

Another unsung hero for Saints.

Go and get your medal Matt, you deserve it.

Under rated player. Other than Morgan and Vic, probably the best central midfielder we've had since the early 90s.

Indeed, some people only remember the post injury Matt Oakley after he was crocked in 2004 and was never the same player for us. I remember Gordon Strachan was championing him for an England call up around that time too. One of the best attacking centre mids I've seen in a Saints shirt, for those that never saw him play I'd say he was a cross between Gylfi Sigurdsson in shooting ability and Steven Davis in work rate.

He was nothing more than average guys. But well done on a very long career

This was a typical blinkered comment that was made about him at the time by a number of fans who did not seem to understand his role. All his managers had him first on the team sheet which shows how much the knockers knew. He was a class player. Even under pressure he could make it seem that he had all the time in the world. And for those who thought he did not tackle enough his stats were that he came away from 50:50s with the ball just under 80% of the time. It was all about timing the steal of the ball with him. When we,stupidly, let him go there was no shortage of suitors. For me he was a genuine unsung hero. Good luck in retirement Matt.

No not at all, Oakley was quality for us, and massively under appreciated.

Not for me I'm afraid. Ok player in an ok side. Comparisons with Davo & Sigurðsson are well wide of the mark. As for being one of the best attacking midfielders to wear a saints shirt, only his mum could think that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk