This seasons signings Hit or Miss

doddisalegend

So the season is done seems like a good time to rate this seasons signings. Going for a simple Hit or Miss based on the impact each signing has had this season.

Boufal - Miss (has flattered to deceive this season I thought the man u game the other night was the first time he showed what he could really do driving from midfield)

Hojbjerg - Miss (looked good in his first couple of games and seemed to go down out hill from there. Loose passing, terrible shooting, lapses of concentration and surprisingly easy to knock off the ball for a big guy. Still young though so every chance to improve but has failed to dislodge a aging Davis from the team)

Redmond - Hit (frustrating at times but seems to have upped his direct running in the second half of the season rather than stopping and passing backwards at every opportunity scored a few goals as well one of better signing this season)

Gabbi - Hit (even if he hasn't hit the heights of his early performances since the groin injury he still has the best shot to conversion rate of any of forwards this year)

Pied - Miss (can't really rate a guy who has basically been injured all season on his football but on impact to the squad this season has to be a (slightly harsh) miss)

Mccarthy - Miss (a back up keeper who wasn't available for most of the season has to be a miss shame really because Forster could really have used some proper competition this season)

Taylor - Miss (the back up to the back up keeper who was never trusted enough to get on the pitch no matter the situation seems a rather pointless signing)

Hassen - Hit (3rd back up keeper of the season trusted enough to sit on the bench so I guess he did a job)

Caceres - Hit (Les's big "oh **** I ****ed up" signing. Signed as back up did that job so I guess a hit)

Have to say I feel this season has been the poorest in terms of recruitment we've seen in some time really need to do better this summer.

Edited by doddisalegend

Redmond as a replacement for Juanmi, you would have to say was a resounding success by that yardstick. I'd stick prefer it really if he was our 'off the bench option'.

He's the only signing I'd really call a hit but again Hull he epitomised our play this season. Completely reluctant to make a run or take on his man, he just stood off opponents on the touch line, playing it inside to Romeu or back to Bertrand.

The rest have all been generally poor. Caceres you could say did his job in the sense that he has been there as cover but that's about as good as it gets.

Can't help but wondering if either Hoj or Boufal (or both) might be off in summer. Not because we're trying to offload them but because they clearly haven't adapted to English football.

Boufal and Hojberg very disappointing. If they were the Wanyama and Mane replacements then its a massive fail.

Both have shown glimpses so will be interesting to see how they perform under a different manager next season.

Redmond - the striker "new Henry" experiment was a disaster and he still frustrates more than performs. For every good game he'll hace 2-3 bad ones.

Gabbiadini started very well but now 8 games without a goal. He will be successful next season under the right management and playing style

Can't help but wondering if either Hoj or Boufal (or both) might be off in summer. Not because we're trying to offload them but because they clearly haven't adapted to English football.

That will never happened. It would be tremendously stupid business to offload/let leave two young talented players with great potential with a big loss (likely if we sell at this point).

Redmond in the summer to a point, and Gabbiadini in the winter (arguably a transfer window late) were the hits. The rest have been misses. However Boufal, Hojbjerg, McCarthy, and Pied will all be important players for us next season, one way or the other, so they all should be hits long term. Redmond will only get better too. It was a poor summer window, we can see that now, but in terms of planning ahead it may bode well for us next season. We need a good transfer window this summer, signing players ready to go, which means sorting out the managerial situation one way or another as soon as possible after the season ends.

A fair assumption if a bit generous regarding Caceres!

Redmond I think has been an excellent signing, bearing in mind he didn't cost that much, and has got himself into the England squad.

The rest...meh.

Boufal & Hojbjerg huge potential, they have the basic talent to become excellent, and hopefully we'll see the best out of them next season. Both not made an impact yet though.

Do feel the attacking players do summer under Pied though as we're so deep the majority of the time. Hopefully the new manager can push us up the pitch 20/30 yards and we can be a bit more dangerous in the final third.

Redmond is overrated by some of the fan base and Southgate.

Redmond has potential and is still raw, he has shown some good moments but hes been more frustrating, I look forward to seeing him in a better system next season and playing as a winger all year.

I think Gabba is the best signing we have made, I would love to see a attack of Austin Jay Rod and Gabba rotation, with 2/3 starting most weeks.

Boufal can be good but just needs to adapt, same applies to Hojberg.

Peid and Caceres have not played enough to see if they have been good, however both done okay so far.

Keepers - All are designed to be back ups, so cant really say miss on them.

Boufal, probably one of the most skilful players we've ever had, hopefully he'll come good.

Hojberg, thought he was outstanding when arrived, I think rotation and formation has stifled him, new manager and we could have serious talent.

Redmond, can't stand him, whingy little p***k who yes done ok but poor vision and no ability to knock the ball past someone and skin them, something I think we need in our team would rather had demerai Gray

Gabbi, excellent but will suffer in this formation would love to see him poaching around another striker

Pied, looks good not up to Cedric but huge upgrade on cuco.

Caceres, is or was a very good player would have liked to see him play more with Stephens

Think it's harsh to say McCarthy and Pied have been a failure when they have had long term injuries.

yes but I did say I was judging them on what they have bought to the squad this season long injuries have meant they haven't contributed so are misses. FWIW I like the look of Pied on what little I've seen of him.

Redmond - Hit. Done well whilst being inconsistent.

The idea he is some sort of henry/striker was completely laughable

Boufal - Miss. The manager has failed to get the best out of him full stop. Injuries have not helped mind

Hoijberg - Big fat miss. Came with a reputation as a top young player from a super club. Started well, then got Puel'd. Now, generally awful most of the time

No real run in the side in our ever rotating team

Gabbi - Hit. Brilliant start to his saints career but being puel'd means he is looking more and more like a donkey up on his own, 30 yards from an team mate

Pied - Miss. Only because he has featured to little due to injury. Looks decent mind

Caraces - Miss. Can't buy a game really, which I find weird. Something else going on there

new keepers - Miss. All of them.

Next season will be the time to judge whether Hojberg and Boufal are hit or miss.

I think we're all disappointed that Boufal hasn't made a bigger impact but you can see that he's got insane talent - it's whether he and the coaching staff can use it to good effect in the Prem. As for Hoj, I may be wrong but I'm pretty convinced he'll come good. I remember some of the insane sh1t some people on here used to throw at Morgan when we were in Div 2 and 3.

Pied's a clear upgrade on Cuco from the brief glimpses we've seen and McCarthy's a class keeper who will hopefully be fully fit for the start of next season.

I'm a Redmond fan too, even though I know he divides opinion.

So overall I don't think it's been as bad as some make out.

Next season will be the time to judge whether Hojberg and Boufal are hit or miss.

I think we're all disappointed that Boufal hasn't made a bigger impact but you can see that he's got insane talent - it's whether he and the coaching staff can use it to good effect in the Prem. As for Hoj, I may be wrong but I'm pretty convinced he'll come good. I remember some of the insane sh1t some people on here used to throw at Morgan when we were in Div 2 and 3.

Pied's a clear upgrade on Cuco from the brief glimpses we've seen and McCarthy's a class keeper who will hopefully be fully fit for the start of next season.

I'm a Redmond fan too, even though I know he divides opinion.

So overall I don't think it's been as bad as some make out.

That's fair comment its whether a club like ours can afford to wait for players to come good a couple of seasons down the line. We sell off our best players (fair enough there are reasons for that) most summers, so to my mind, we need to replace those players with players who can come in and do a job straight away which it really doesn't feel like we achieved this season.

Edited by doddisalegend

All of them miss although Gabbiadini's obviously a very good player so it's more the fact that no-one passes to him when he makes his runs than he himself.

I remember your posts before and thinking you could be a skate. Nothing you have posted recently has changed my mind