This or 2002/3?

Lighthouse

8th in the League and a cup final makes for a rather obvious comprising but looking slightly deeper

WGS and co. - 43 Goals - 46 against - 52 points

CPs Red Army - 41 Goals - 47 against - 46 points

For argument's sake, let's suppose we bet Stoke 1-0 tomorrow and we reversed that 1-2 home defeat to West Brom. Points, GF and GA would then be completely identical, without any real departure from how we've actually played this season.

Baring that in mind, was that season really all it was cracked up to be? Perhaps it is looked back upon fondly, simply by contrast to some of the dross that was served up in the seasons preceding and following.

Will Puel, in spite of current opinion, be looked back upon as the man who simultaneous guided us to a cup final, despite a European campaign, whilst maintaining a top half finish?

8th in the League and a cup final makes for a rather obvious comprising but looking slightly deeper

WGS and co. - 43 Goals - 46 against - 52 points

CPs Red Army - 41 Goals - 47 against - 46 points

For argument's sake, let's suppose we bet Stoke 1-0 tomorrow and we reversed that 1-2 home defeat to West Brom. Points, GF and GA would then be completely identical, without any real departure from how we've actually played this season.

Baring that in mind, was that season really all it was cracked up to be? Perhaps it is looked back upon fondly, simply by contrast to some of the dross that was served up in the seasons preceding and following.

Will Puel, in spite of current opinion, be looked back upon as the man who simultaneous guided us to a cup final, despite a European campaign, whilst maintaining a top half finish?

Think fans have been spoilt over the last 3 seasons.

Unless we manage to keep our best players we are bound to have ups and down.

Did you think it would be that easy to replace Mane, Pelle and wanyama?

Yes we have replaced them but you can t expect them to hit the ground running straightaway.

Nice finished 17th one season and then 4th the next because he was building the team, it takes time to gel.

Plus Mane was a freak, he scored goals and allowed his team mates to score by opening space for them. He was one of the main reasons long was into double figures

He is a world class player and Take him out of last years team and i m not sure we would have done that much better.

Yes we have replaced them but you can t expect them to hit the ground running straightaway.

Nice finished 17th one season and then 4th the next because he was building the team, it takes time to gel.

Plus Mane was a freak, he scored goals and allowed his team mates to score by opening space for them. He was one of the main reasons long was into double figures

He is a world class player and Take him out of last years team and i m not sure we would have done that much better.

We got lucky in parts too last season.

Gonna give some examples- last season home game at WHU- probably should have conceded a oenalty from Yoshida's foul- and think another case could be made at our away game to Swansea- should have concdded a pen.

Also factor in that we played Manchester City at the oerfect time because they had a CL semifinal game following the game against us so played a second string XI which we beat.

Just with those three games, you take out say 5 points from the 9 we actually got then we would have finished 8th anyway I think.

2003 by a mile

in relative terms, WGS had a far inferior squad and got the most out of more players than Puel is

WGS managed it with such heavyweights as Marsden, Oakley, Lundekvam and Omerod. His was a far greater achievement.

This and that

We got lucky in parts too last season.

Gonna give some examples- last season home game at WHU- probably should have conceded a oenalty from Yoshida's foul- and think another case could be made at our away game to Swansea- should have concdded a pen.

Also factor in that we played Manchester City at the oerfect time because they had a CL semifinal game following the game against us so played a second string XI which we beat.

Just with those three games, you take out say 5 points from the 9 we actually got then we would have finished 8th anyway I think.

If my aunt had a cock she'd be my uncle.

Top post. Shame it'll fly right over the Puel-out mob's heads though.

2003 by a mile

in relative terms, WGS had a far inferior squad and got the most out of more players than Puel is

WGS managed it with such heavyweights as Marsden, Oakley, Lundekvam and Omerod. His was a far greater achievement.

Is Long better than Ormerod?

Is Yoshida better than Claus?

JWP better than Oakley?

Davis better than Marsden?

It goes on....

Boufal/Anders

Tadic/Fernandes

Bertrand/Bridge

We didn't have anyone close to Romeu but we don't have anyone this year consistently as good as Niemi, Killer or Beattie.

I'm not sure this squad is that much better, a couple of individuals aside.

JWP better than Oakley?

It goes on....

Boufal/Anders

Tadic/Fernandes

Bertrand/Bridge

We didn't have anyone close to Romeu but we don't have anyone this year consistently as good as Niemi, Killer or Beattie.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

IMO.

JWP better than Oakley?

It goes on....

Boufal/Anders

Tadic/Fernandes

Bertrand/Bridge

That's the spine of the team a striker bang on form, an excellent goal keeper and a beast of a CB we had one of those this season and he got injured half way through. Todays squad is better but our squad this season really could have done with those three types of player.

The football this season is miles better than 2003. We barely had any shots on goal, never got anyone in the opposition penalty area, and the style was dire. At least we mostly have a go this season, we may be rubbish at converting chances, but at least we create them. That WGS period was the only period I considered giving up my season ticket. I would take the relegation season with the Dutch duo over the WGS bore fest

So lets get this right. The Saints Web bench mark is:-

Poch P38 W15 D11 L12 F53 A45 Pos 8th = genius

WGS P38 W13 D13 L12 F43 A46 Pos 8th = very good manager

Puel P37 W12 D10 L15 F41 A47 Pos 8th = should be sacked

if it was just about league position, Branfoot would be rated higher than Adkins

JWP better than Oakley?

It goes on....

Boufal/Anders

Tadic/Fernandes

Bertrand/Bridge

You have to compare the relative strengths of the division as well. Is the league and players stronger than 2003? Probably yes as clubs have the financial strength to recruit from across Europe.

2003 probably stood out because after many years of getting away with it, ok Hoddle bucked that a little, Strachan suddenly had us Saints fans reaching for the oxygen and enjoying the view from an unfamiliar position high up the table. The last 10 minutes of games were fun because Strachan had the team fit enough to last 120 minutes.

I always remember driving home from the Boxing Day Spurs game which we won 1-0, Mrs JBS said "did you feel the atmosphere change in the ground when the clock on the screen clicked over to 80 minutes? It suddenly became tangibly tense and nervous!". I said that I didn't, probably because I was contributing to it. We actually got to a FA Cup final too, the first final for 20 (?) years, we weren't sweating on needing ours and others results to go the right way on the last day.

if it was just about league position, Branfoot would be rated higher than Adkins

So where is the tipping point?

8th with a lot of boring football (mainly at home) but a good losing performance in a final is not good enough.

Would 17th but with lots of goals for and against be rated better than 5th with lots of boring 1-0's?

At least we mostly have a go this season, we may be rubbish at converting chances, but at least we create them. That WGS period was the only period I considered giving up my season ticket. I would take the relegation season with the Dutch duo over the WGS bore fest

You must have been watching completely different games to me this season, most games at SMS we have done anything but go for it, and that is my main gripe with Puel. He sets us up to not lose, rather than to try and win.

I also think you're being harsh on WGS, we had far more exciting games under him than we've had under Puel, and he was working with much more limited players.

So where is the tipping point?

8th with a lot of boring football (mainly at home) but a good losing performance in a final is not good enough.

Would 17th but with lots of goals for and against be rated better than 5th with lots of boring 1-0's?

If we'd spent the last four months shopping goals left right and centre, conceding 2 and 3 but still managing the exact same results, points and GD as now the same meltdowners would be having the same meltdown, just about a different thing: they'd been frothing with absolute fury at our failure to replace Fonte and our hopeless defense. None of these people would be drooling about how jolly entertaining it has all been.

If we'd spent the last four months shopping goals left right and centre, conceding 2 and 3 but still managing the exact same results, points and GD as now the same meltdowners would be having the same meltdown, just about a different thing: they'd been frothing with absolute fury at our failure to replace Fonte and our hopeless defense. None of these people would be drooling about how jolly entertaining it has all been.

This