SWEEPSTAKE ALERT - Puel departure announcement timing - all welcome

CB Fry

Perhaps he's staying because of the Power of the People and the majority want him to stay?

The Echo survey this week was nearly 70% saying go. 68% of 8,000 participants.

You can have a pop at the Echo or the participants of that survey if you like, but only when you bring forward something of equal validity that suggest the majority want him to stay. Good luck.

You can have a pop at the Echo or the participants of that survey if you like, but only when you bring forward something of equal validity that suggest the majority want him to stay. Good luck.

That ties in with 67% of St Mary's leaving before the lap of appreciation. If he doesn't improve rapidly next year and Les doesn't sack him then frankly both need to go. And if Les keeps him on this summer, and doesn't back him in the transfer market again, then Les needs to go anyway.

Imagine a summer like the last transfer window... but where VVD, Cedric, Bertrand, Forster and Tadic all go with worse replacements coming in, the same crap football and a relegation scrap to look forward to. That is certainly one potential future....

I've not met one fan who wants him to stay, some are equivocal and iffy about it but not one I know or chatted to has said categorically to me that he SHOULD stay.

A few are cynical and sense that we'll be stuck with the guy anyway because of lack of bottle upstairs to grasp the nettle so we'll need to accept that and just get on with it.

An empty stadium at pre-season friendlies should send a clarion call upstairs but knowing that lot they'll arrange to play most away so that they don't have to face reality.

An empty stadium at pre-season friendlies should send a clarion call upstairs but knowing that lot they'll arrange to play most away so that they don't have to face reality.

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Hard to know where to start with this nonsense. It would be very unusual for a Premier League club to have more than 2 home friendlies in a summer. Quite often it is one.

Home friendlies rarely have a big attendance, so I'm struggling to see how you think not turning up to a friendly in late July or early August is suddenly going to make the board think they should sack the manager days away from the start of the season.

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Hard to know where to start with this nonsense. It would be very unusual for a Premier League club to have more than 2 home friendlies in a summer. Quite often it is one.

Home friendlies rarely have a big attendance, so I'm struggling to see how you think not turning up to a friendly in late July or early August is suddenly going to make the board think they should sack the manager days away from the start of the season.

Fortunately we have leaders who make decisions on merit and not fan power. And we have fans that will turn out and support the team whatever. I'm not convinced Claude is the wrong man for the job (or the right one come to that) but hurting the team because of decisions that are not theirs to make is pretty pointless.

My initial reaction to this season was that we need a change of manger, but on reflection, it would be a harsh decision. Finishing 8th (however that is achieved) together with a cup final was what many were asking for, however the downside was European elimination at the group stage and the general defensive nature of our play.

If you compare Puel with both of our previous managers, who nearly everyone believes did a better job than Puel, had areas that needed improvement. Pochettino never had an in-game plan B meaning that we never recovered from going behind with him in charge, and Koeman had that awful run around Christmas. Both have improved since, Spurs under Pochettino turned around more games than anyone else in the Premier League, and Koeman's worst run was 3 without a victory (2L 1D).

If Puel stays then hopefully he can learn in the same way. Not having European football should mean less rotation this season, and with a full pre-season working with Gabbi and Charlie Austin (plus any forward signings) then hopefully we should see more attacking football. At times, the team has shown that Puel can put out a team to play entertaining football. The Premier League is very unique in its demands, and Puel has not worked outside of France before, so it would be interesting to see how much he's learnt this season. And if he stays, we as fans need to get behind the team, and if after 10 games, they're still serving up some of the dross we've seen this season then push for a change.

That said, if Unai Emery becomes available and we can get him in, then cut Puel now!

An announcement is taking its time as St Etienne have had talks with both Puel and Ranieri...by June the 5th that decision will be made.

Not sure of how any form of severance package is arranged or even Puel will get the job.

Mercato : Les dirigeants stéphanois ont rencontré Claude #Puel, Claudio #Ranieri... Décision ne sera pas prise avant 5 juin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's every reason. Krueger did an interview a week or two ago and refused to back him. He implied he was at very least thinking of sacking him. He released that information to us willingly so if he has now decided on keeping him, we deserve to know on what basis. Had that statement not been made, I'd agree but by making it, he's very much "involved" the fans. He can't just tell us half a story.

I'd give him another season.

Krueger didn't "refuse to back him", he said he wasn't part of the football stuff and there was a review of that the following week, just like there was every season.

Beyond that he didn't discuss the manager.

The voices for change are always louder than those supporting the status quo. Same goes for referenda votes. There's often a majority happy enough with things as they are that they don't feel there's a need to do anything to keep it that way.

The voices for change are always louder than those supporting the status quo. Same goes for referenda votes. There's often a majority happy enough with things as they are that they don't feel there's a need to do anything to keep it that way.

While that is true, is also suggest those people won't be outraged and take to the the streets if we did sack Puel.

The majority want him out. I don't think there is any constituency of fans that are mad, passionate Puel fanatics that would hate to see him go. Or if there is, it's a tiny proportion.

Which is part of the problem - he truly is the most nondescript manager we've ever had. Even Poortvliet had a jolly charm and Wotte was arrogantly hateable. Puel - nothing.

An announcement is taking its time as St Etienne have had talks with both Puel and Ranieri...by June the 5th that decision will be made.

Not sure of how any form of severance package is arranged or even Puel will get the job.

Mercato : Les dirigeants stéphanois ont rencontré Claude #Puel, Claudio #Ranieri... Décision ne sera pas prise avant 5 juin.

If that's true, he's already been sacked, or he's just sacked himself.

While that is true, is also suggest those people won't be outraged and take to the the streets if we did sack Puel.

The majority want him out. I don't think there is any constituency of fans that are mad, passionate Puel fanatics that would hate to see him go. Or if there is, it's a tiny proportion.

Which is part of the problem - he truly is the most nondescript manager we've ever had. Even Poortvliet had a jolly charm and Wotte was arrogantly hateable. Puel - nothing.

I'd be fairly annoyed and a little bit surprised tbh. The club has a set of principles and usually looks at the bigger picture. For me it's not about the manager but about whether we slide into "becoming like other clubs" or retain our longer term position. Being competent at the basics of running a club and not doing stuff like (eg) signing Zabaleta is one of the things that's given us a leg up on most of the Premier League clubs in a similar position, who splash cash on ill-suited players or name has-beens.

Stuff like picking Stephens from February suggests they were prepared to take a short term hit in the interests of player development, but having done that, it's a bit off to then dump the manager who's had an inexperienced CB playing in the back 4 for 5 months through no fault of his own.

Mind you, this does conflict with my "we might still sign Cáceres" argument, and there have been enough weighty rumours about other clubs wanting Puel to think it's about him getting a deal elsewhere rather than *whether* he gets the push.

Edited by The9

I think that says that a decision will NOT be made before June 5th

If that's true, he's already been sacked, or he's just sacked himself.

If he's going, Saints will want to present it as "he did well enough to get himself a better deal elsewhere" knowing that the louder complainants are likely to be glad he's gone rather than whinging about the club not trying harder to keep him. IF he's off, I'd expect Saints to have given their blessing to speak to others as we do the same.

If he's going, Saints will want to present it as "he did well enough to get himself a better deal elsewhere" knowing that the louder complainants are likely to be glad he's gone rather than whinging about the club not trying harder to keep him. IF he's off, I'd expect Saints to have given their blessing to speak to others as we do the same.

Pretty much agree with most of that. Not sure the club would particularly want to sell it as Puel moving up the ladder though.

If he's going, it definitely won't be a announced sacking, Les will never admit an appointment that hasn't worked out, it will be a mutual agreement "in the best interest of both parties"

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk