Nicola Cortese wants to return to English footie

Delmary

I would have him back he was ruthless. least he showed a bit of ambition and passion unlike the current clowns.

This

I always smile at the bitter jibes at him, but he was instramental in bringing us back from the dead. It is sad he was not appreciated by us more

We have a small but vocal bunch of bitter fans - once you leave the club you go from hero to zero in a blink of an eye

I think they get stuck on level 3........

Shock

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Guilt

Depression

Acceptance and Hope

I would have him back he was ruthless. least he showed a bit of ambition and passion unlike the current clowns.

I always smile at the bitter jibes at him, but he was instramental in bringing us back from the dead. It is sad he was not appreciated by us more

Agree with both of these, he did show ambition and he was instrumental in our success. For that I thank him. But it's very easy to show those sort of traits when you are managing other peoples money and not your own.

No bitterness here whatsoever, he did a good job for us, but unfortunately at the end of the day it is Kat who is actually Billy Big Bollux and not Nicola.

This

We have a small but vocal bunch of bitter fans - once you leave the club you go from hero to zero in a blink of an eye

I think they get stuck on level 3........

Shock

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Guilt

Depression

Acceptance and Hope

How do people move past level 3? Any words of advice?

I look back fondly on his time here, shirts not withstanding. But, the way he operated would eventually have caught up with us. So, best of luck Nicola, but we've both moved on.

Exactly - probably sensible for all parties concerned.

As per talk with Jim White on TalkSPORT

It would be amusing if he did just to see Jim White go full circle from kissing our 'arris in Cortese's era, to *****ing all things SFC once he left, back to the kissing malarkey again whilst once more being VIP'd around Europe with the Don.

Isn't the debt that we are saddled with, because of him?

(It's arguable that debt both got us to, and, kept us in the Prem though).

He did a brilliant job, and until these "rumours" of him being a "nasty piece of work" are actually founded, I'll think about him in a very fond manner. Was one of the main reasons we are where we are, and his ruthlessness was welcomed. Nice being the arrogant ones for a change rather than just bending over for all the other clubs bigger than us constantly.

He did a brilliant job, and until these "rumours" of him being a "nasty piece of work" are actually founded, I'll think about him in a very fond manner. Was one of the main reasons we are where we are, and his ruthlessness was welcomed. Nice being the arrogant ones for a change rather than just bending over for all the other clubs bigger than us constantly.

The rumours are most definitely founded and in many places have even been openly talked about by the clubs leadership, in particular the need to sell our "top assets" (their words not mine) because of historical debts.

Isn't the debt that we are saddled with, because of him?

(It's arguable that debt both got us to, and, kept us in the Prem though).

It's not arguable. That's what we did. Look at the players that came in and the money we paid for them. Nice to think we played our way to the top on a shoestring but that really wasn't the case.

It's not arguable. That's what we did. Look at the players that came in and the money we paid for them. Nice to think we played our way to the top on a shoestring but that really wasn't the case.

L1 clearly. But not in the championship. There were 6-8 sides with more expensively assembled squads than us. It was Staplewood that required a lot of investment, leaving aside its wisdom which freaks on here will gristle about all day.

I know the forum is chockablock with brilliant business minds but every business in its growth or expansion phase will need finance - whether it's by borrowing money or issuing equity. Such frontloading is entirely normal and sustainable.

The proof of the pudding will ultimately be in the profit KL makes when she exits her investment. All the evidence suggests she will do very well indeed.

Edited by shurlock

Not in the championship it wasn't. There were 6-8 sides with more expensively assembled squads than us. It was Staplewood that required a lot of investment, leaving aside its wisdom which freaks on here will gristle about all day.

I know the forum is chockablock with brilliant business minds but every business in its growth or expansion phase will need finance - whether it's by borrowing money or issuing equity. Such frontloading is entirely normal and sustainable.

The proof of the pudding will ultimately be in the profit KL makes when she exits her investment. All the evidence suggests she will do very well indeed.

What about League 1? Not too many were paying the sort of money we did for Fonte and Lambert.

I listened to this particular piece on Talksport.

Jim and Cascarino talked at length about Puel. Cascarino seemed pretty informed on the subject, rather than trotting out the lazy line of 'what are they thinking, they finished 8th', he spoke of our end of season form, the players relationship with Puel, and his experience of Puel as a player.

Jim and Cascarino talked at length about Puel. Cascarino seemed pretty informed on the subject, rather than trotting out the lazy line of 'what are they thinking, they finished 8th', he spoke of our end of season form, the players relationship with Puel, and his experience of Puel as a player.

What was his conclusion?

So he read a news paper? hardly ground breaking stuff

I've said before and i'll say it again, he did a decent job in L1 but his ego ran away with him once we got into the championship and he was out of control. He was an absolute c*nt as a bloke too, could be charming when he needed to be but an unhinged bully a lot of the time. As Eric B says, a few on here, myself included knew fair bit about what was going on behind the scenes when he was there and it wasn't pretty. He had to be got shot of before he did any more damaged.

As for it's alright him running up debt to get us into the Premier league, well that isn't what he said he was going to do...

"Clubs spend money they do not have; they spend next year’s income. They spend money that will not arrive for two years and say, "But we'll have some success and bring in more cash to cover the shortfall". It cannot be sustained. In good times you need to be saving money for the bad times. If we reach the Premier League, I would like to be in a position where we did not need parachute payments. In good years you should put money away for the bad years" Nicola Cortese March 2010 - The Times

I've said before and i'll say it again, he did a decent job in L1 but his ego ran away with him once we got into the championship and he was out of control. He was an absolute c*nt as a bloke too, could be charming when he needed to be but an unhinged bully a lot of the time. As Eric B says, a few on here, myself included knew fair bit about what was going on behind the scenes when he was there and it wasn't pretty. He had to be got shot of before he did any more damaged.

As for it's alright him running up debt to get us into the Premier league, well that isn't what he said he was going to do...

"Clubs spend money they do not have; they spend next year’s income. They spend money that will not arrive for two years and say, "But we'll have some success and bring in more cash to cover the shortfall". It cannot be sustained. In good times you need to be saving money for the bad times. If we reach the Premier League, I would like to be in a position where we did not need parachute payments. In good years you should put money away for the bad years" Nicola Cortese March 2010 - The Times

Good lad :lol:

My sweepstake had you responding around post 10. Power lunch at the paper mill?

"Look at me I know loads of stuff but not going to tell anyone....."

"Look at me I know loads of stuff but not going to tell anyone....."

The thing is he has told people, lots of people, but just not on here and that was done to protect employees of Saints. The same way Ericb knows plenty but is careful what he posts but I know where it's coming from and know it to be genuine.

People on this board are mental, just look at how many people want Puel to stay!!

And look how many people want him to go and be replaced by Silva!!

As for Nicola, I thought he had a top job lined up in Italy? Still, Leeds would suit him nicely.

You mean others did the work and he used a pr consultant called david bick to make him look like the messiah.

That PR fella managed to dupe many fans thats for sure.

I still love it that he was booed by 'clued up' fans at wembley in the JPT

No football club should touch him hes a total nutter.

I still cant believe there are fans out there that fell hook line and sinker for Cortese and his pr consultant.

His final act before leaving was to orchestrate all the journos to run 'meltdown' headlines in numerous newspapers esp neil ashton and darren lewis

Why did he cancel the adidas contract weeks before he left ?

If Cortese was that good he would have been back in football within months and he left 3 years ago !

Play golf.... and if that doesn't help redirect your anger towards Saintsweb forum posters

We are all a family on here

Proof of skateship.. ? I think you will find its them dirty lot down the M27 that are all family, did you forget where you are?

He was what we needed at the time and, whatever you think of him, he delivered results despite the rough edges.

Where we are now though, he would only be any use if he brought another "Markus" with him.

Very much this....!

He did what was needed but it was with someone else's money - a good risk taken by Markus and eventually benefiting Katherina as well as the club.

That job done...and done very well... he was no longer fit for purpose in the PL and was impaled on the same sword that he gave Nigel - now needs to bring a sheik or oligarch to be useful again ;-)