4 Players Out

Lighthouse

Caceres (potentially) earn't £1.5 million for 90 minute of work

As my Son pointed out (After I made a similar comment); He was here as back up to be used as an when needed - How much has Jack Stephens value gone up during that time, having played all those games?

Probably more than Caceres was paid.

We made the best of a sh!itty situation - that we created in the first place.

As my Son pointed out (After I made a similar comment); He was here as back up to be used as an when needed - How much has Jack Stephens value gone up during that time, having played all those games?

It's not about 'value'. It's about making and keeping a good team together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats true mate. Kinda worked out as Stephens has been great.

It's not about 'value'. It's about making and keeping a good team together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it's about value. Les will be loving it, in 2 or 3 years Jack Stephens will go to one of the big boys for £25 million and it'll be a huge success for the famed Southampton academy!

Of course it's about value. Les will be loving it, in 2 or 3 years Jack Stephens will go to one of the big boys for £25 million and it'll be a huge success for the famed Southampton academy!

This is the sadness at the heart of SFC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it not the case that as a development player, if we don't offer contract then we don't get the development fee?

Yup. Which is why we'll offer them deals - they also have to be at least as good as their previous terms.

I don't think we'd have put out a press release saying he was being released if we were negotiating any sort of deal behind the scenes. I think we'd have just said nothing until we'd come to a more definitive conclusion. On that subject, Stuart Taylor hasn't been released despite being out of contract. Perhaps he is getting another deal.

Fair point, but released lists are hardly a secret, it's also in Premier League rules that they have to be published. Plus as Caceres didn't have a club in February when we signed him, Saints may be gambling that no-one else comes in to enable the club to make a lower offer.

What commission is Les Reed on?

Genuine question

It would be interesting to know that, I doubt we would ever be allowed to know. The managers used to get a cut of transfers not sure if Cortese put an end to that one

It would be interesting to know that, I doubt we would ever be allowed to know. The managers used to get a cut of transfers not sure if Cortese put an end to that one

I imagine there is more to be made (for him) for selling academy players.... Explains why they are shoved into the shop window so keenly and why Koeman fell out with Reed as wasnt prepared to play his games.

The immediate sales of Lallana, Shaw, Chambers as soon as he was in a position of power felt motivated.

I would think he's salaried and no-one gets a cut of the sale of players. Cortese was very anti-agent and whilst he wasn't averse to chucking himself bonuses, I should think the model we have is still to pay as little to third parties (including club employees) as possible on transfers.

I would think he's salaried and no-one gets a cut of the sale of players. Cortese was very anti-agent and whilst he wasn't averse to chucking himself bonuses, I should think the model we have is still to pay as little to third parties (including club employees) as possible on transfers.

Whats 2% of £240m?

Whats 2% of £240m?

£4.8m. Why do you ask?

I'm fairly sure if we had a system where people at the club were getting a cut of transfers we'd be flogging off players whose contracts were running out a LOT more often than we do.

We could have got half a million for Martina at any point until the end of January for a start.

Edited by The9

I imagine there is more to be made (for him) for selling academy players.... Explains why they are shoved into the shop window so keenly and why Koeman fell out with Reed as wasnt prepared to play his games.

The immediate sales of Lallana, Shaw, Chambers as soon as he was in a position of power felt motivated.

Speculative trolling... utter horse dung

this is the english version that I managed to translate, what his agent says:

Chapter Caceres : "Martin you're finding it very well with English football. In January, we decided to accept the Southampton location for the project. For the moment did not play much, soon we will sit at a table to understand what will be its future . If Southampton will put him at the center of the project is not ruled out staying there , otherwise we will evaluate other offers. "

Per approfondire http://www.calcioweb.eu/foto/esclusiva-calcioweb-lagente-tropiano-svela-vi-svelo-futuro-budimir-caceres/id/10113961/#Oqov5IlK5w7YFOb0.99

£4.8m. Why do you ask?

I'm fairly sure if we had a system where people at the club were getting a cut of transfers we'd be flogging off players whose contracts were running out a LOT more often than we do.

We could have got half a million for Martina at any point until the end of January for a start.

Like Holloway at Blackpool, they wouldn't get a cut if we sold for less than we bought for, would they?

Isgrove could have been a very good player if he'd gone by now. I was starting to think he'd got some sort of dirt of Reed,

Premier League - No.

Championship - Good squad player for the top 8, very good player for the rest

League One - Always been class if his loan spells are anything to go by

League Two - Messi

this is the english version that I managed to translate, what his agent says:

Chapter Caceres : "Martin you're finding it very well with English football. In January, we decided to accept the Southampton location for the project. For the moment did not play much, soon we will sit at a table to understand what will be its future . If Southampton will put him at the center of the project is not ruled out staying there , otherwise we will evaluate other offers. "

Per approfondire http://www.calcioweb.eu/foto/esclusiva-calcioweb-lagente-tropiano-svela-vi-svelo-futuro-budimir-caceres/id/10113961/#Oqov5IlK5w7YFOb0.99

Tbf his agent is going to play up the possibility of Saints wanting to keep him to make him sound as valuable as possible. If he says "Southampton didn't play him and didn't want to keep him" it doesn't reflect well on Cáceres and potentially puts others off wondering why. If they try and make out that he's more important than the position Saints used him in he looks as good as possible AND it implies we weren't prepared to pay what he's worth.

In short, posturing by his agent.

Tbf his agent is going to play up the possibility of Saints wanting to keep him to make him sound as valuable as possible. If he says "Southampton didn't play him and didn't want to keep him" it doesn't reflect well on Cáceres and potentially puts others off wondering why. If they try and make out that he's more important than the position Saints used him in he looks as good as possible AND it implies we weren't prepared to pay what he's worth.

In short, posturing by his agent.

So do you think there's still a chance that we could sort something out for him?

So do you think there's still a chance that we could sort something out for him?

He's a free agent in a position we're short in, who is now familiar with the club. Lower down the leagues where budgets are tight and options many, clubs do this kind of stuff all the time.

He's a free agent in a position we're short in, who is now familiar with the club. Lower down the leagues where budgets are tight and options many, clubs do this kind of stuff all the time.

Yeah I fully agree with you mate. I think it was you the other day saying we could re-negotiate potentially to suit our needs?

'If Southampton will put him at the center of the project is not ruled out staying there'

It's this little piece from that quote, that worries me. Reads like he wants to be first choice.

Sort of thing any agent would say if a player has just left not having been first choice though. Try and make it about the club's choices not the player not being good enough.

Of course the main question is what are Saints going to do with Stephens and Yoshida next season, when the goal will be to finish as high as possible, and not to write off half the season testing things out having sold the captain. It could be that we think Cáceres could do the job but are waiting to see who else is available.

Surely its obvious enough by now that Caceres was a required panic signing due to a rather substantial defensive cock up in the transfer window, and equally obvious that he has and probably never had much of a future beyond the length of his short term deal?

Surely its obvious enough by now that Caceres was a required panic signing due to a rather substantial defensive cock up in the transfer window, and equally obvious that he has and probably never had much of a future beyond the length of his short term deal?

The remarkable thing about the Caceres signing was that a 60+ cap, ex-Barca & Juventus player lost out on a starting place to an academy player* in Stephens.

* yes, I know he was really a Plymouth academy player.

Sort of thing any agent would say if a player has just left not having been first choice though. Try and make it about the club's choices not the player not being good enough.

Of course the main question is what are Saints going to do with Stephens and Yoshida next season, when the goal will be to finish as high as possible, and not to write off half the season things out having sold the captain. It could be that we think Cáceres could do the job but are waiting to see who else is available.

The9 what would you say the chances are of re-negotiating then? I would be annoyed if we let him go to another pl club.

I think Caceres not playing said more about Stephens surprising us than it did about Caceres (who looked decent as well).

Yeah. If we do get VVD back I wonder what we'll do with Stephens. Could we use him in the middle of the pitch alongside Romeu?

The9 what would you say the chances are of re-negotiating then? I would be annoyed if we let him go to another pl club.

No idea, it's all speculation at the moment. I will say he's not really the kind of player we usually sign - he's older, more expensive in terms of wages and he probably won't have a sell-on value if we gave him (say) a 3 year deal. So on that basis I don't think we'd be back in for him. But if we were impressed with his attitude, which is a huge element in the club's decision to sign players, and can get him cheaper that might change things...

No idea, it's all speculation at the moment. I will say he's not really the kind of player we usually sign - he's older, more expensive in terms of wages and he probably won't have a sell-on value if we gave him (say) a 3 year deal. So on that basis I don't think we'd be back in for him. But if we were impressed with his attitude, which is a huge element in the club's decision to sign players, and can get him cheaper that might change things...

So taking into account what his agent said, so its only possible. His agent said that they were having a meeting and if he was the centre of our project then it wasn't ruled out staying here. Otherwise they would consider other options.

Isgrove and Martina offered contracts by Blackburn apparently.

Isgrove makes sense, he's already done relatively well in League One and you'd expect Blackburn to be one of the bigger names in there this season. Along with Wigan, Bradford, Plymouth and Blackpool. There might be another one that thinks they're a big name but I can't think of them at the moment.

I can't see Martina signing for a L1 side unless absolutely nobody comes in for him, and that seems unlikely given his experience at Saints.

He also has some allies at Everton which might get him another couple of years, but it depends on whether they're in for bigger names with the money they're meant to have. I'd be surprised if none of the promoted sides were interested at the very least. Think of the shirt sales in Curacao. :D

So taking into account what his agent said, so its only possible. His agent said that they were having a meeting and if he was the centre of our project then it wasn't ruled out staying here. Otherwise they would consider other options.

I don't think his agent expects Saints to make him the centre of our project - if he does he's in for a shock based on all of our transfer dealings in the past 3-4 years. We don't sign players over 27 and we don't buy players we can't try and improve and sell at a profit. Anything's possible though.

I don't think his agent expects Saints to make him the centre of our project - if he does he's in for a shock based on all of our transfer dealings in the past 3-4 years. We don't sign players over 27 and we don't buy players we can't try and improve and sell at a profit. Anything's possible though.

Yeah thanks for your input mate. He is a world class defender though mind