Longest Managers in Football!

Kieran1uk

IMO we won't unless we slip back into Championship/lower mid table PL obscurity. If we are to continue to be ambitious then we will continue to have our best managers and players taken from us.

Thought this was quite interesting:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10898677/longest-manager-tenures-as-arsene-wenger-extends-arsenal-stay

Lawrie McMenemy did 11yrs 6months. Consider all the talk about Puel and the front door, do you think we'll ever see a manger at our club that will serpass Lawrie??

Ted Bates, 18 yrs 3 months (plus 2 years as coach).

Interesting...Why isn't Ted Bates mentioned?

i wondered that. But is because they are counting managers appointed since 1960 and Ted Bates was appointed before then. It's a silly way of doing things because it also leaves out Bill Nicolson

Interesting...Why isn't Ted Bates mentioned?

He is (I didn't notice when I posted, last paragraph):

"Notable managers who were appointed in England pre-1960 include Ted Bates (18 years at Southampton), Bill Nicholson (16 years at Tottenham) and Bill Shankly (15 years at Liverpool). A Sky Sports study of all-time manager tenures in England revealed West Brom's Fred Everiss holds the record term after managing the Baggies for 46 years between 1902 and 1948."

Unlikely, as I think Mcmenemy got us relegated in his first season. Can you imagine what this forums would have been like then. My gut feeling is there may have been a slight air of dissatisfaction among the faithful.

He was often called Lawrie Mac theenemy, until 76