Thomas Tuchel - Ruled Out

Singapore Saint

• 3 months later...

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel is being lined up as the new manager of Guangzhou Evergrande. Tuchel, who has been heavily linked with the Bayern Munich managerial position, is tipped to follow Roger Schmidt and Felix Magath to the Chinese Super League. (Kicker)

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel is being lined up as the new manager of Guangzhou Evergrande. Tuchel, who has been heavily linked with the Bayern Munich managerial position, is tipped to follow Roger Schmidt and Felix Magath to the Chinese Super League. (Kicker)

For ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Probably not what people want to hear but i know we spoke to him before and he turned us down, think it was something about budget to spend and better opportunities elsewhere.

We should be speaking to him again now that our ownership has been resolved. Unless of course we've got f^ck all to spend on transfers and no ambitious plans/project to talk of.

I doubt that much has changed in the last few months that Tuchel suddenly see us as an attractive proposition when he didn't previously. If holds on for a few weeks he can probably get a shot at the Everton or Liverpool jobs if he wants PL.

.. added to which Arsenal and Chelsea could be possible destinations in the next 12 months.

The reverse argument of course being that a good nine months with us and he'll be set up for any one of those jobs.

Thought he only wanted a CL club?

If he is considering China, surely it's worth us trying again?

Doubt we'd match the terms on offer, or come anywhere close.

Unless of course the rumour has come from some German journalist has had a whisper he's been talking to a Chinese...

.. added to which Arsenal and Chelsea could be possible destinations in the next 12 months.

The reverse argument of course being that a good nine months with us and he'll be set up for any one of those jobs.

He's already probably first in line with Ancelotti for the next CL level European job that comes up. Nobody is going to look at a Saints team that has struggled to achieve a goal a game over the course of more than a season now and think we're a smart career move.

TUCHEL HASN'T RULED OUT EVERTON

Ex-Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel hasn’t ruled out the option of becoming the new Everton manager if he’s approached, SSN understands.

Tuchel left the Bundesliga club in May, just days after winning Germany’s domestic cup final, and has said publicly that he wants to manage in the Premier League in the future.

However, we’ve been told that up til now, he’s been reluctant to consider any club that isn’t playing in the Champions League.

Everton has yet to draw up a shortlist of candidates for the role, but Tuchel’s odds of taking over at Goodison Park have been slashed - he’s currently the 5-1 second favourite behind Sean Dyche for the job.

Ex-Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel hasn’t ruled out the option of becoming the new Everton manager if he’s approached, SSN understands.

Tuchel left the Bundesliga club in May, just days after winning Germany’s domestic cup final, and has said publicly that he wants to manage in the Premier League in the future.

However, we’ve been told that up til now, he’s been reluctant to consider any club that isn’t playing in the Champions League.

Everton has yet to draw up a shortlist of candidates for the role, but Tuchel’s odds of taking over at Goodison Park have been slashed - he’s currently the 5-1 second favourite behind Sean Dyche for the job.

Imagine the gnashing of teeth and vitriol toward Les Reed if he goes there....

I guess at the time we approached him he thought he was going to get a few better offers it seems that hasn't happened so he is probably a bit less fussy now ...:p

I guess at the time we approached him he thought he was going to get a few better offers it seems that hasn't happened so he is probably a bit less fussy now ...:p

Very probably true. But even now with both Neville and Giggs about I doubt he would get a look in anyway!

Bayern passed him over quite quickly when they re-appointed the 72 year old Heynckes.. I'm not sure if he is as good as his hype at all to be honest. One of the Evertonians beefs about RonKo was his cold, matter of fact nature that alienated some of the players and I think Tuchel is cut of similar cloth.

The one manager who has impressed me is Wagner, but I don't see him leaving 'Udders anytime soon.

You can only make that assumption if he was offered the choice... but don`t miss the chance to have a bit of a pop at the club

He was. Not a pop, just an observation.

You don't honestly believe that Pellegrino was our first choice, do you?

I thought the rumour on here was that Tuchel was Les’s first choice, but he turned us down. Not sure how Les can be blamed for that! Or do some on here think Les should have refused his rejection and forced him to join us?

I think there is a train of thought among some that Les should have offered Tuchel whatever it took to land him a big wage and lots of money for players.

I thought the rumour on here was that Tuchel was Les’s first choice, but he turned us down. Not sure how Les can be blamed for that! Or do some on here think Les should have refused his rejection and forced him to join us?

Isn't that where the ambition comes into it though?

Surely if we have ambition to be a top side and break into the top 6, and Les thought that Tuchel was the man to do it, then he should have persuaded him by paying him (within reason) what he wanted and offering him all the tools (i.e money in the transfer market) he needed (again within reason) to do so. Ultimately, Tuchel is a top manager and wants to manage in the top competitions, he obviously felt that we weren't able to offer that, now or in the future.

If Everton can persuade him to join them (If they do, I've no doubt it will involve big amounts of ££), it just proves that they are more of an attractive proposition than we are at the moment, which is a shame considering where we were, as short as 2 seasons ago.

Of course if they do somehow persuade him (and i'f i'm honest I don't think they will), it doesn't guarantee success, but IMO just demonstrates the direction of both clubs.

He was. Not a pop, just an observation.

You don't honestly believe that Pellegrino was our first choice, do you?

So he was offered the choice between us and Everton..okay must have missed that.

I don`t care who was first choice as it`s irrelevant and we will never know unless the club publicise the list

Isn't that where the ambition comes into it though?

Surely if we have ambition to be a top side and break into the top 6, and Les thought that Tuchel was the man to do it, then he should have persuaded him by paying him (within reason) what he wanted and offering him all the tools (i.e money in the transfer market) he needed (again within reason) to do so. Ultimately, Tuchel is a top manager and wants to manage in the top competitions, he obviously felt that we weren't able to offer that, now or in the future.

If Everton can persuade him to join them (If they do, I've no doubt it will involve big amounts of ££), it just proves that they are more of an attractive proposition than we are at the moment, which is a shame considering where we were, as short as 2 seasons ago.

Of course if they do somehow persuade him (and i'f i'm honest I don't think they will), it doesn't guarantee success, but IMO just demonstrates the direction of both clubs.

Fair points, but I think the truth is Everton are a more attractive proposition than us for most managers and always have been (even in that year when they were a disallowed Bolton goal from being relegated).

When Liebherr and Cortese first took over, we paid much better than all the other League One teams (apparently) and Pardew was then seen as a Championship level manager taking a step-down, but Cortese made clear he was disappointed bigger names than Pardew weren’t interested. Money can’t buy everyone!

There seems to be a lot of confusion since Sky and the Premier League started wrecking the game in 1992, the media getting more excited about player movement from club to club than the actual matches, eg the VVD debate after the match at Wembley on Sunday.

The ability to spend on individual players, not a team, as highlighted by the recent efforts of our Ron, is not a club's 'ambition' but a manager wishing to get a piece of the financial action himself.

It is apparent that Saints, one of the clubs that apparently lack ambition, can build a team of players complementing each other.

Hence Shaw, Schneiderlin, Fonte, Louvren etc look good here but struggle elsewhere.

There seems to be a lot of confusion since Sky and the Premier League started wrecking the game in 1992, the media getting more excited about player movement from club to club than the actual matches, eg the VVD debate after the match at Wembley on Sunday.

The ability to spend on individual players, not a team, as highlighted by the recent efforts of our Ron, is not a club's 'ambition' but a manager wishing to get a piece of the financial action himself.

It is apparent that Saints, one of the clubs that apparently lack ambition, can build a team of players complementing each other.

Hence Shaw, Schneiderlin, Fonte, Louvren etc look good here but struggle elsewhere.

Good Post.

To be fair you are really getting a hard on for Everton.

Why they sacked Koeman when he just had tough games at the start?

Nope, no hard on. Slight jealousy though, yes. Despite the current league table, they are a club with genuine European ambitions and are a club on the up, where as I’m not sure where our ambitions lie... if I’m honest I believe it’s just survival. Everton are us of 4/5 years ago, we are more of a West Brom / Stoke.

They sacked Koeman because of the disappointing start to the season. Fail to see what them sacking a manger has to do with ambition though?

But yes, they have had a difficult start to the season, when compared to ours. Despite poor form as current, they’ll finish above us this season, IMO

Good post, generally. But lets not ignore the fact that we failed spectacularly last year; and took a team that almost got champions league football to 45points. We're not exactly in a position to brag right now.

Good post, generally. But lets not ignore the fact that we failed spectacularly last year; and took a team that almost got champions league football to 45points. We're not exactly in a position to brag right now.

Yeah, failed spectacularly. Cup Final and 8th place - what an awful result. Sure MP will have no problem improving on that with better players this year.............

Nope, no hard on. Slight jealousy though, yes. Despite the current league table, they are a club with genuine European ambitions and are a club on the up, where as I’m not sure where our ambitions lie... if I’m honest I believe it’s just survival. Everton are us of 4/5 years ago, we are more of a West Brom / Stoke.

They sacked Koeman because of the disappointing start to the season. Fail to see what them sacking a manger has to do with ambition though?

But yes, they have had a difficult start to the season, when compared to ours. Despite poor form as current, they’ll finish above us this season, IMO

So trying to buy success is called ambition is it ? Perhaps, but you have to be able to attract top quality like Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd not the very average signings they have made,

and they will not attract those players.

We really didn't.

• 3 years later...