Thomas Tuchel - Ruled Out

Singapore Saint

Wasn't Dembele brought for like €15-20M. Kinda easier to develop youngster when you spend big to bring good ones in to start with.

I was referencing Pulisic and how also the younger players really liked Tuchel it was the older Klopp legacy players who got the hump with him and moaned upwards.

But yeah Demeble wasn't developed by dortmund.

Thomas Tuchel who recently left Borussia Dortmund has numerous offers from both clubs from Bundesliga and abroad. One of the clubs interested in him is Premier League side Southampton, per SPORTBILD.

Southampton is currently managed by Claude Puel but the Frenchman is widely expected to leave the club in the summer and the Saints hierarchy have lined up Thomas Tuchel as one of the candidates to replace him.

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsgermany.com/2017/thomas-tuchel-southampton/

*Finally!* a more credible link.

Should be between him and Roger whatshisname in my opinion. Both available and free, both keen to rebuild their reputations. Both very similar, one a little more outlandish in his attacking approach than the other.

That would be my only shortlist Clarkey as well. Very happy with either, both would be keen to build both reputations accordingly! If they then left after 2-3 years, it would mean job had been done successfully

That would be my only shortlist Clarkey as well. Very happy with either, both would be keen to build both reputations accordingly! If they then left after 2-3 years, it would mean job had been done successfully

If we're honest that's probably how it will be sold to them as well. Both tipped for the top less than a year ago, coming to England and doing well with us is a great chance to showcase themselves for the Arsenal or other jobs in the PL. Sad, but true. and probably the only realistic way we can get one of these guys.

If we're honest that's probably how it will be sold to them as well. Both tipped for the top less than a year ago, coming to England and doing well with us is a great chance to showcase themselves for the Arsenal or other jobs in the PL. Sad, but true. and probably the only realistic way we can get one of these guys.

I agree, but what's even more sad is if it were to go REALLY well under either one of them, we'd be looking at 1-2 years max.

I agree, but what's even more sad is if it were to go REALLY well under either one of them, we'd be looking at 1-2 years max.

Unless they took us to the Champions League, they might be inclined to stay and continue the progress.

Should be between him and Roger whatshisname in my opinion. Both available and free, both keen to rebuild their reputations. Both very similar, one a little more outlandish in his attacking approach than the other.

DITTO.

If we overlook these two... just hope one or other , preferably TT , is lined up.

Interesting bit on 5live a couple of nights ago from Rafa Honigstein about why Tuchel left Dortmund.

Essentially said he was a very abrasive character and rubbed too many people up the wrong way, particularly a lot of non playing club staff at various levels who he was quite rude to and a lot of people lost respect for him. Lots of his relationships broke down because of this, ultimately leading to his departure despite good results on the pitch.

The captain Marcel Schmelzer got involved as he felt the squad were also losing faith in the man management style of Tuchel and this allied to the way he dealt with staff at the club was his downfall.

Considering the Club like operate as a "family" and Krueger has clearly outlined our differential as "the way we treat people" then I imagine the above doesn't really match up well to what we want.

Not saying we shouldn't go for Tuchel if we could get him, or that he isn't a good Manager. Just interesting background.

Interesting bit on 5live a couple of nights ago from Rafa Honigstein about why Tuchel left Dortmund.

Essentially said he was a very abrasive character and rubbed too many people up the wrong way, particularly a lot of non playing club staff at various levels who he was quite rude to and a lot of people lost respect for him. Lots of his relationships broke down because of this, ultimately leading to his departure despite good results on the pitch.

The captain Marcel Schmelzer got involved as he felt the squad were also losing faith in the man management style of Tuchel and this allied to the way he dealt with staff at the club was his downfall.

Considering the Club like operate as a "family" and Krueger has clearly outlined our differential as "the way we treat people" then I imagine the above doesn't really match up well to what we want.

Not saying we shouldn't go for Tuchel if we could get him, or that he isn't a good Manager. Just interesting background.

Interesting info. Cheers for posting.

Another good report here:https://www.getfootballnewsgermany.com/2017/feature-thomas-tuchel-and-his-flailing-relationship-with-hans-joachim-watzke/

Seems pretty balanced on either side but I am only hearing negative stuff about Tuchel now he was sacked.

Spoke to my german mate and he thinks Tuchel is very good and said "good luck" when I mentioned schmidt hahaha

Another good article on Tuchel, tactics etc at Mainz

http://www.dw.com/en/rule-breaker-tuchel-takes-on-job-of-replacing-klopp-at-dortmund/a-17503661

Also I think we are a good fit for him, he has baggage with the same journalists, fans etc if he remains in germany, if he comes to us his stock in england is super high, people would not hold it against him if he did not get us in the top 4 etc and he can adapt his style to the UK and hopefully overperform with us.

Edited by Convict Colony

Does anyone have any knowledge on him?

Im at work so can't link but there's loads tactically on him online ... Google Roger Schmidt tactics and you'll see what I mean...

I think he's quite aloof and abrasive too though allegedly

If Palace end up with Roger Schmidt, what about nabbing Dyche off Burnley? I'm interested to know what people here think of him.

I think he is excellent and have done since the job he did at Watford, while they were in a total mess ownership wise

The more I read about the two Germans the more I think we will avoid them.

It could be either another unknown like Puel or an experienced English based one.

I would like us to poach the current Bournemouth and Burnley managers for long term stability.

If Palace end up with Roger Schmidt, what about nabbing Dyche off Burnley? I'm interested to know what people here think of him.

Done a fantastic job at Burnley, far better than Howes done at Boscombe. The difference in wages & finance is massive, yet everybody loves Howe. Appears popular with the players & is a bit of a character. You just don't know how he'd adapt his game with better players & our fan base won't give him time to do so.

I can just see it now, first game of the season 0-0 at half time & the boo boys would be out in force. Just not trendy enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done a fantastic job at Burnley, far better than Howes done at Boscombe. The difference in wages & finance is massive, yet everybody loves Howe. Appears popular with the players & is a bit of a character. You just don't know how he'd adapt his game with better players & our fan base won't give him time to do so.

I can just see it now, first game of the season 0-0 at half time & the boo boys would be out in force. Just not trendy enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree. I'd avoid Howe like the plague, he just seems to be the right man at the right club in Bournemouth (who as you have said, have spent a fortune when you look at the size of their club). He failed at Burnley and I really don't see the attraction.

I like Dyche, he's done an amazing job. Relatively untested though and IMO not the big name we need to steady the ship after a summer of uncertainty.

I see Dyche as very much a mid table manager, not the man to take us forward, IMO.

Done a fantastic job at Burnley, far better than Howes done at Boscombe.

Er what?

People should be remember that Howe got Bournemouth promoted 3 times out of 3 different leagues, though he did seem to struggle a little bit at Burnley.

The difference in wages & finance is massive

Nope it isn't.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/776353/Premier-League-wage-bill-2016-17-sportgalleries

Wages bill for 16-17 for Burnley is £33 million, Bournemouth £34 million. Bournemouth spent £34 million last year, but recouped £22 million in sales so their net spend was £12 million.

Burnley spent £38 million last year, recouped just £1 million, so their net spend £37 million.

Though Bournemouth did spend more the year before, but then Burnley were in the championship so you can't compare. Over their two years in the prem, both clubs have a similar net spend and similar wage bill.

Howe also kept Bournemouth in the league at their first attempt, Dyche got Burnley relegated. Howe did all this playing good attacking football, whereas Burnley are pretty negative and don't play that good football IMO.

Not that Dyche hasn't done an excellent job, but Howe has done equally as good a job, if not better IMO.

The biggest question marks over Dyche would be what he is like with a team that is expected to win games and what sort of football he'd play as most of the time his team is the underdog and plays a gritty stopping the opposition style, but what we actually need is a manager who knows how to win games when opponents do that to us.

Style of play wise I'd be far comfortable with Howe who has done nothing but an excellent job IMO at Bournemouth, biggest question mark on him though is that he hasn't had success anywhere else outside Bournemouth, both as player and manager.

Tuchel is one of the bigger names available. He still sounds entirely unrealistic to me, but he'll probably do well in the unlikely event he joins Saints. He may attract some decent players. But he sounds like he is prone to personality conflicts (reported both at Mainz and Dortmund), and if he does well he'll be out the door to bigger and better things within 2 years.

Also, if he fell out with Dortmund over player sales, I wonder how he'd react to a summer in Southampton. I suppose if both VVD and Bertrand are gone before his arrival, we could promise him a huge war chest Everton-style. Smash the glass ceiling and all that.

Er what?

People should be remember that Howe got Bournemouth promoted 3 times out of 3 different leagues, though he did seem to struggle a little bit at Burnley.

Nope it isn't.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/776353/Premier-League-wage-bill-2016-17-sportgalleries

Wages bill for 16-17 for Burnley is £33 million, Bournemouth £34 million. Bournemouth spent £34 million last year, but recouped £22 million in sales so their net spend was £12 million.

Burnley spent £38 million last year, recouped just £1 million, so their net spend £37 million.

Though Bournemouth did spend more the year before, but then Burnley were in the championship so you can't compare. Over their two years in the prem, both clubs have a similar net spend and similar wage bill.

Howe also kept Bournemouth in the league at their first attempt, Dyche got Burnley relegated. Howe did all this playing good attacking football, whereas Burnley are pretty negative and don't play that good football IMO.

Not that Dyche hasn't done an excellent job, but Howe has done equally as good a job, if not better IMO.

The biggest question marks over Dyche would be what he is like with a team that is expected to win games and what sort of football he'd play as most of the time his team is the underdog and plays a gritty stopping the opposition style, but what we actually need is a manager who knows how to win games when opponents do that to us.

Style of play wise I'd be far comfortable with Howe who has done nothing but an excellent job IMO at Bournemouth, biggest question mark on him though is that he hasn't had success anywhere else outside Bournemouth, both as player and manager.

Burnley were totally abysmall at our place this year...

Is Tuchel really that unrealistic? He's obviously got a good reputation in the game, but this isn't Guardiola we're talking about here.

One of the reason he left Dortmund was because he fell out with the board for selling their best players and replacing them with youngsters with potential last summer how do you think he would react to the Southampton way? His stock is still pretty high and I imagine he will want to go somewhere he can build a team and has a realistic chance of increasing his stock further which he isn't going to be saints if we are honest. I just don't think he'd find us that attractive.

Completely agree. I'd avoid Howe like the plague, he just seems to be the right man at the right club in Bournemouth (who as you have said, have spent a fortune when you look at the size of their club). He failed at Burnley and I really don't see the attraction.

I like Dyche, he's done an amazing job. Relatively untested though and IMO not the big name we need to steady the ship after a summer of uncertainty.

I see Dyche as very much a mid table manager, not the man to take us forward, IMO.

Not sure Howe 'failed' at Burnley, have read this a lot. Sure he didn't do anything spectacular, but went there after relegation - following Stuart Gray, no less - and finished 8th. The following season they were 13th. I never thought Burnley were a side that should have been in the playoffs, and he also oversaw the development of some good players, including Rodriguez and Austin.

One thing that did seem to be true though is that during his tenure Burnley went through purple patches and sticky patches, similar to how Bournemouth do now - a 6 game unbeaten run might be followed by a 6 match winless run, for example. I wonder why that is? Perhaps because playing open attacking football requires everyone to be clicking, confidence high etc, so once something falls out of place you become easy pickings. Contrast that with a more pragmatic manager like Puel or even Koeman - you know it's not likely to be pretty but it rarely feels like you've been dispatched with ease.

Is Tuchel really that unrealistic? He's obviously got a good reputation in the game, but this isn't Guardiola we're talking about here.

I agree. If there was absolutely no interest either way, we wouldn't have been linked in the first place IMO.

I agree. If there was absolutely no interest either way, we wouldn't have been linked in the first place IMO.

We're linked with him because he's out of a job, and a lot of fans assume that jobs in the premier league are automatically the most desirable in world football outside of managing Bayern, Barca or Real. I'd love him to come here, but if he ends up taking the saints job, he ought to fire his agent - you don't cash in your chips from a top ten club in Europe to manage a middle ranking premier league team that hasn't won anything in four decades.

We're linked with him because he's out of a job, and a lot of fans assume that jobs in the premier league are automatically the most desirable in world football outside of managing Bayern, Barca or Real.

It's a reasonable assumption - I'd think our vacancy will be one of the top five best paid managerial vacancies in the world this summer.

And not entirely sure he is going to get another top ten European job right now - he's basically a Brendan Rodgers type figure - built a rep, got a shot at the big time and now needs to build up again.

He'll be a high calibre appointment for sure but it's a pretty good match of club size/challenge if he wants Premier League and wants it now.

We're linked with him because he's out of a job, and a lot of fans assume that jobs in the premier league are automatically the most desirable in world football outside of managing Bayern, Barca or Real. I'd love him to come here, but if he ends up taking the saints job, he ought to fire his agent - you don't cash in your chips from a top ten club in Europe to manage a middle ranking premier league team that hasn't won anything in four decades.

He was to all intents and purposes sacked by Dortmund. It wasn't his decision.

All big ifs of course, but...

He has already ruled out Leverkusen, so looks unlikely to stay in Germany if dismissing one of the better jobs there.

The top jobs in the Premier League don't look like being available this summer. If he has ambitions of managing Arsenal in 2019, managing Saints for 2 years is a good introduction into English football for him. Of course some Saints fans will moan about being a stepping stone... but so what? He'd only leave for a bigger club if he's done well so Saints benefit in those two seasons.

He was to all intents and purposes sacked by Dortmund. It wasn't his decision.

All big ifs of course, but...

He has already ruled out Leverkusen, so looks unlikely to stay in Germany if dismissing one of the better jobs there.

The top jobs in the Premier League don't look like being available this summer. If he has ambitions of managing Arsenal in 2019, managing Saints for 2 years is a good introduction into English football for him. Of course some Saints fans will moan about being a stepping stone... but so what? He'd only leave for a bigger club if he's done well so Saints benefit in those two seasons.

Completely agree with this - only way we get him is he sees this as his best route to the Arsenal job when Wenger leaves. I'll say it now but I'd be ok with this, as you say, he'll have to have done well by us to get the big jobs when/if they become available.