Don't sell VVD to Liverpool

SaintPete

If a player wants to join x club and x club offers an acceptable amount for that player, what do you suggest the club do?

Generally, deals / personal terms are already sorted before x club makes an offer.

If VVD goes to Liverpool, it will be because he wants to join Liverpool and not one of the other various clubs that are in for him.

Whilst is is frustrating for fans, there is not much we, as a club, can do other than to scout well and replace effectively.

We are never going to be top of the food chain, we just have to accept that, but what we can do, is follow examples set by Monaco, Dortmund and now arguably Tottenham and in 5 years time be selling to Barca, Real and Bayern.

I used the Wigan analogy because of the way you worded your statement - He will go and play for whoever he wants to. You should have added on the end, 'provided that club offer to pay Saints a fee they are willing to accept for him.'

Of course, if Liverpool meet said fee and that is his choice of club, he will go where he wants. However, if other clubs (Chelsea, Man City, etc) meet that fee but Liverpool are nowhere near it, we will not sell him to them. He would then have the choice, reluctantly sign for one of the other (better, imo) teams to get his huge pay rise or stay with us one more season (or half-season) and see what offers are made next time around.

Yes, the player has to agree to sign for any club, but they do not hold ALL the cards.

I think the point being here Minsk - is that the clubs that want VVD will all be in and around the same bracket in terms of what they are able to pay. Chelsea, City, Liverpool and the like - they are all big clubs. I don't give two hoots who he goes to, doesn't bother me one iota once he leaves us. Yes there maybe a small bidding war, but I really cant see the range being that great that it would be out of one of the big clubs means, so he will have choice. At the end of the day it's highly unlikely that he has any affiliation with any of these clubs anyway, and will just chase the money just like everybody else - but it's no good saying 'Don't sell him to Liverpool, because if that's where he wants to go that's what will be engineered'. I really do not see one of the world best players being sold to a club that he does't want to play for - just can't see it.

Exactly this! Sticking a price tag on a player is last century stuff, im amazed people like Lord D n Micky are so out of touch.

"not for sale" gets the bidding wars going

Liverpool: "40m" lol not for sale

Chelsea: "50m" lol not for sale

Man C: "60m" not for sale

Chelsea: "80m" not for sale

Wigan: "100m" ok sold

Yeah, excellent - great stuff. Amazed me 'n Duck are not 'down and at it' with you young footballing guru's, I can see we'er gonna have to do a lot of brushing up to stay with you. :mcinnes:

They are only 10+ million players because the transfer market has gone bonkers. 10 million isn't even very much for a PL player just look at what the big boys are spending now. A lot of our players are pretty average for the PL.

I think you will find we have spent 10m + as many if not more times than most clubs around us including Everton.

How many times have West Brom spent that much?

West Brom spent 14m on Rondon, 12m on Chadli , 10m on Livermore, 10m on Chester so most teams around us spend similar give or take, granted we spend a few million more but we've had to sell our stars , West brom haven't. Everton spent about 25m alone on Lukaku as well as the 28m on Bolasie, 20m on Morgan, 15m on Niasse, 12m on Nunes mori, 11m on Williams

Edited by danjosaint

West Brom spent 14m on Rondon, 12m on Chadli , 10m on Livermore, 10m on Chester so most teams around us spend similar give or take, granted we spend a few million more but we've had to sell our stars , West brom haven't. Everton spent about 25m alone on Lukaku as well as the 28m on Bolasie, 20m on Morgan, 15m on Niasse, 12m on Nunes mori, 11m on Williams

If you compare we are in the same ball park for numbers wise as those around us. Teams like Burnley, Watford etc won't have spent anything like us. My point is I don't think the board can be accused of not spending money.

Exactly this! Sticking a price tag on a player is last century stuff, im amazed people like Lord D n Micky are so out of touch.

"not for sale" gets the bidding wars going

Liverpool: "40m" lol not for sale

Chelsea: "50m" lol not for sale

Man C: "60m" not for sale

Chelsea: "80m" not for sale

Wigan: "100m" ok sold

In the midsts of all your stupid posts I missed responding to this one. I repeat, it does not work like this. VvD's agent will be told the price Saints are willing to sell him for, he will then tout him around other clubs. That's it, that's how it works nowadays. Or at least that's what someone connected to a Premier league club told me. Maybe he was wrong & you're right, maybe he's a troll winding people up & you're a sensible bloke who knows the ins & outs of transfers. Personally, I do believe that agents arrange things before the buying club ever receive an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the midsts of all your stupid posts I missed responding to this one. I repeat, it does not work like this. VvD's agent will be told the price Saints are willing to sell him for, he will then tout him around other clubs. That's it, that's how it works nowadays. Or at least that's what someone connected to a Premier league club told me. Maybe he was wrong & you're right, maybe he's a troll winding people up & you're a sensible bloke who knows the ins & outs of transfers. Personally, I do believe that agents arrange things before the buying club ever receive an offer.

Of course agents do the deal first and of course you could both be right...

did your contact say what happens if the club don't name a price? You are living in a one dimensional world if you think your scenario is the only one that happens.

Of course agents do the deal first and of course you could both be right...

did your contact say what happens if the club don't name a price? You are living in a one dimensional world if you think your scenario is the only one that happens.

We were talking last summer about Mane & my point was how cheap he went for & whether we could have got an auction going. He basically said auctions that benefit the selling club don't happen nowadays. The bidding involved is wages & agents fees. If Liverpool will pay £70 million for him so to get him City offer another £5 million, the £5 million extra ain't coming to us. We've already told his agent we'll sell provided we get an offer of £70 million ( not saying we have, just giving an example)

Was Mané too cheap? You need to put things into perspective - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/sommertransfers - the add ons supposedly take it to £38.5m and they were apparently very easy to meet and were team related rather than just him. So the obvious one to compare to is Leroy Sané.

Looking at that list, the first 2 are a little ridiculous. As is the 3rd and 4th. You can't judge all transfers by the ridiculous fees some clubs pay.

So if we had got £40m, rather than £38.5m, then I suspect people would have been happier as psychologically starting with a 4 seems a whole load better.

Of course it is disappointing when top players leave, we all want to see world class players at st Marys each week but consider for a moment how we manage to attract these players in the first place?

Players come to Southampton because they see it as a good place to develop, but in general they see it as a stepping stone rather than the final destination. If we start playing hardball and not letting players go to the clubs they want, in the long term our recruitment will dry up.

We have had a revolving door since we came back up to the premiership and overall the results have not suffered, is it really worth risking that in what would probably be a futile attempt to break into the top 6?

Of course it is disappointing when top players leave, we all want to see world class players at st Marys each week but consider for a moment how we manage to attract these players in the first place?

Players come to Southampton because they see it as a good place to develop, but in general they see it as a stepping stone rather than the final destination. If we start playing hardball and not letting players go to the clubs they want, in the long term our recruitment will dry up.

We have had a revolving door since we came back up to the premiership and overall the results have not suffered, is it really worth risking that in what would probably be a futile attempt to break into the top 6?

It is frustrating continually selling our best players

However there are quite a few clubs who buy players for decent fees and they fail to produce.

OK we have a few 'duds' too but by and large our scouting system has been decent and the revenue generated has been used to keep us in a reasonable League position

When you think about it there are quite a few clubs (especially on the Continent) who have the same challenges developing and keeping players

If you owned a shop and someone kept coming in to pay over the odds for you stock, would you ban them?

That's not really very good analogy. The job of a shop is to sell things. The job of a football club is not necessarily just to sell things.

We don't just sell things. We also play football.

Hope this helps.

Yeah....that's why I said that using a shop is NOT a good analogy, and the job of a football club is not necessarily just to sell things. (i.e. also play football) You appear to be agreeing with me. oh........hope this helps.

You can see that sort of deal happening. Usual undisclosed fee... and they offer us Sakho as deal breaker

Sad that we are a stepping stone, but inevitable that our better players move on.

But no one is irreplaceable, so let's hope we buy in new players first before we sell VVD to avoid inflated fees

You can see that sort of deal happening. Usual undisclosed fee... and they offer us Sakho as deal breaker

Sad that we are a stepping stone, but inevitable that our better players move on.

But no one is irreplaceable, so let's hope we buy in new players first before we sell VVD to avoid inflated fees

I think it's why they join us in the 1st place.

Yeah....that's why I said that using a shop is NOT a good analogy, and the job of a football club is not necessarily just to sell things. (i.e. also play football) You appear to be agreeing with me. oh........hope this helps.

Fair enough. My apologies, I read it differently.

If you owned a shop and someone kept coming in to pay over the odds for you stock, would you ban them?

Yes but they have been buying our stock and then making it better and increasing/helping add to their success.

Looks like an agent in the mirror backed up what I claimed earlier in this thread. Some doubted it, but it looks like my mate was right

"What usually happens is that an agent goes to the club, says his player wants to leave, asks how much it will take to get him out and then relays the information to the club that wants to buy him."

Looks like an agent in the mirror backed up what I claimed earlier in this thread. Some doubted it, but it looks like my mate was right

"What usually happens is that an agent goes to the club, says his player wants to leave, asks how much it will take to get him out and then relays the information to the club that wants to buy him."

Did you honestly need a "mate" or anyone to tell you that?

Pretty obvious thats how it works once a club agrees a player can leave.

It worked well for VVD's agent.

No one doubted it we all know how it works these days. I bet your mate didn't then suggest that said interested club fly that player in for a secret meeting with their manager before releasing that info to their mates in the press to announce though...

No one doubted it we all know how it works these days. I bet your mate didn't then suggest that said interested club fly that player in for a secret meeting with their manager before releasing that info to their mates in the press to announce though...

Exactly.

I would have thought that they already have enough Tadic type players. Can't see why they'd be interested in signing any more. They need a really reliable striker, a left back and another top class centre back. All the rest would be just more of the same and a drag on the salarial mass.

This. How i look at it is, i lived in africa a few months with my brother for work, and he had this indian friend and he bought and sold cars with a profit for a living. I dont know how he does it but the thing is that he had to sell the cars no matter how much he enjoyed and liked them because otherwise he'd be out of business and he couldnt afford to keep every good car he had. Same with us, we buy van dijk we have him for a season or two but we cant afford to give him everything he wants aka 200k wages and champions league football, so we make a profit and he gets what he wants from the liverpools and the mancitys. Win win.