Investing in Ethereum & tokens

Convict Colony

Climbing again now.

The point about the exchanges is relevant. They've grown too quickly for their own infrastructure (technical and human) to cope at peak transaction-demand times. It's something that would put me off speculating too much at the moment. If you're loaded up and decide you need to get out quickly, I'm not sure you can be entirely confident of being able to sell.

Yeah I am a holder so it only affects me buying at present but I know coinbase/GDAX are spending lots of money on servers to sort this out. The number of people who have opened accounts within the last month has been crazy and they just werent prepared for that sort of upscaling.

Yeah I am a holder so it only affects me buying at present but I know coinbase/GDAX are spending lots of money on servers to sort this out. The number of people who have opened accounts within the last month has been crazy and they just werent prepared for that sort of upscaling.

It seems as though buying on Coinbase is currently down again.

Just thought I would drop in away from the Puel threads and see how everyone has been handling the 11% drop over night ?

Looks like money being taken out of Bitcoin is pushin everyone down as well but we seem to of recovered to last Sundays price, a good time to buy I reckon

what backs this? Have they gold reserves or Government backing or is it just thin air and people piling in, that funds itself until people wake up. The first out will do well but others will be left holding the baby?????

Hopefully a reaction is incoming following the conference

Hearing nothing from the conference but the rumour is Mastercard is about to join the Ethereum Alliance as one of the companies (website error should that they were meant to be joining 2 days ago so maybe a legal pull back).

Hold and I am revising my 1st Aug prediction to 600 euro

Mastercard rumour

what backs this? Have they gold reserves or Government backing or is it just thin air and people piling in, that funds itself until people wake up. The first out will do well but others will be left holding the baby?????

think of ethereum as doing the same for money that the internet did for information.

Its decentralised so there is no singular point of failure and it cannot be held to ransom or hacked.

ALL the big banks, microsoft and a tonne of other companies are going to be using it and are part of the ethereum alliance.

A lot of sideways action today, testing resistance levels and then dropping back down to its starting price.

It feels alot like End of Feb/eary March when we were in the 40 euros for a while before a blast off.

A conference starts in Singapore tomorrow where Mastercard and pay pal amongst others are attending so something could be about to kick off (although I bet it will all happen when I am on holiday next week).

"The content of the programme is designed for those individuals tasked with positioning their organisations for blockchain adoption and to carve out areas where distributed ledger technology can improve their business. The audience will be made up of senior representatives from financial institutions, blockchain and fintech providers, professional services, trade bodies and government. You can see a sample of the delegate list below.

Speakers:

Mitsubishi Financial Group (EEA-member)

BNY Mellon (EEA-member)

China Construction Bank (one of the 4 biggest banks of China)

Deutsche Bank

HSBC

Mizuho (big bank in Japan)

Nordea Bank (biggest bank in Scandinavia)

UBS

Allianz (insurance company)

Some of the attending guests:

Senior vice-president + chief strategist financial innovation of Hitachi

Head of business development Asia Pacific MasterCard

Research & Development manager + a research engineer from PayPal

Senior Officer of the SEC

Vice President strategy planning & research, Huawei Technologies

Vice President, JP Morgan

Innovation Director, UBS

Edited by Convict Colony

think of ethereum as doing the same for money that the internet did for information.

Its decentralised so there is no singular point of failure and it cannot be held to ransom or hacked.

ALL the big banks, microsoft and a tonne of other companies are going to be using it and are part of the ethereum alliance.

Sorry Im late into this concept. Is this a type of internet currency ???

Sorry Im late into this concept. Is this a type of internet currency ???

Sort of.

Ethereum is the name given to a platform that has been developed that is intended to allow people to run decentralised applications via blockchain. I know that's a load of jargon but if you want to know what any of those things are then you'll have to Google them.

The fact is, though, that lots of big businesses and industries are looking at how blockchain can be used in innovative ways and Ethereum is one way of deploying blockchain uses.

"Ether" is what you need to use Ethereum. I guess you could think of it more like oil than actual money. Ie. a heavily traded commodity that people need to make things run.

This is distinct from, say, Bitcoin which is a "cryptocurrency" in a truer sense. Ie. it has no functional purpose other than allowing people to exchange value.

So, there are really two main reasons to invest in Ether:

- I) pure speculation

- II) you think Ethereum itself has value as a platform which exceeds the current value given to it in the Ether market.

To borrow the oil analogy again: if we wind the clock back and imagine we are pioneers of the petrol engine... you might see oil as a commodity which will become crucial in a new industrial epoch.

Edited by benjii

Sort of.

Ethereum is the name given to a platform that has been developed that is intended to allow people to run decentralised applications via blockchain. I know that's a load of jargon but if you want to know what any of those things are then you'll have to Google them.

The fact is, though, that lots of big businesses and industries are looking at how blockchain can be used in innovative ways and Ethereum is one way of deploying blockchain uses.

"Ether" is what you need to use Ethereum. I guess you could think of it more like oil than actual money. Ie. a heavily traded commodity that people need to make things run.

This is distinct from, say, Bitcoin which is a "cryptocurrency" in a truer sense. Ie. it has no functional purpose other than allowing people to exchange value.

- I) pure speculation

- II) you think Ethereum itself has value as a platform which exceeds the current value given to it in the Ether market.

To borrow the oil analogy again: if we wind the clock back and imagine we are pioneers of the petrol engine... you might see oil as a commodity which will become crucial in a new industrial epoch.

Thanks although its a bit unreal to me. Needs young brains to work the concept out.

The 51% attack is something that has happened less than a year ago!

Edited by OldNick

Sort of.

- I) pure speculation

great summary benjii :p

Hargreaves Lansdown today

9. Cryptocurrency Bitcoin had a rough start to the week It's a rough start to the week for bitcoin. The cryptocurrency trades down 10.11% on Monday, at $2,275 a coin, a one-week low. The action seems to be a continuation of the selling that developed on Wednesday, when rival Ethereum flash-crashed from $296 to 10 cents before recovering its losses.

This seems a very dodgy investment IMHO

Not at all but there is a lot of volatility in the crypto space but not the levels seen in the flash crash which was the result of someone placing a multi-million-dollar sell order at market price, meaning ETH would change hands at whatever price bidders were currently offering until the entire order was filled – no matter how much lower the price was than the current price of ETH.

Filling this order caused ETH prices to instantly slip 30% to $224 – which in turn caused 800 stop loss orders and margin liquidations, which further drove the price down, to as low at $0.10.

This was probably the bancor team being stupid with their ICO funds when sellling their ether which caused this and coinbase has reimbursed the mney lost by everyone who had a margin call or a stop loss EVEN then they didnt have to, good PR for the company.

Not at all but there is a lot of volatility in the crypto space but not the levels seen in the flash crash which was the result of someone placing a multi-million-dollar sell order at market price, meaning ETH would change hands at whatever price bidders were currently offering until the entire order was filled – no matter how much lower the price was than the current price of ETH.

Filling this order caused ETH prices to instantly slip 30% to $224 – which in turn caused 800 stop loss orders and margin liquidations, which further drove the price down, to as low at $0.10.

This was probably the bancor team being stupid with their ICO funds when sellling their ether which caused this and coinbase has reimbursed the mney lost by everyone who had a margin call or a stop loss EVEN then they didnt have to, good PR for the company.

Just shows to me that its built on sand. You are far more gemmed up on this than Iam and so I respect your faith but I wouldnt want to put money into what seems to be a risky gamble.

• 2 weeks later...

Am loving this correction at the moment and hope it holds for another few days so I add to my stack. All of crypto had taken a beating over the last 2 weeks, trading bots going mad and new money panic selling, the time to hold and wait for either metropolis or raiden announcement in Aug for some good bounce for the autumn. Am revising my guess of 1st aug to 350 euro

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

You can make a small fortune through short term trading on Ether at the moment if you hold your nerve. Price went from $176 to $200 in a few hours this morning for a very tidy profit. Plus 500 is a decent platform to use.

You can make a small fortune through short term trading on Ether at the moment if you hold your nerve. Price went from $176 to $200 in a few hours this morning for a very tidy profit. Plus 500 is a decent platform to use.

What's Plus 500 ?

Should I sell my house, and invest it in ether?

If you did that right now (the current buy rate is $192) you could most probably buy two houses by the end of the week. You could also be homeless. Depends how much you like a (slightly qualified) gamble.

Joy of it all :)

it was 320 a month ago, so nearly halved in value. This is a very volatile market, and the way it moves gives me the impression that there are a lot of people who don't have real faith are just dipping in and out of this.

I do hope you do well and make a fortune out of it, but if it goes it will deflate pretty quickly

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear sorry to say this but that is totally incorrect.:blush:

http://haseebq.com/a-hacker-stole-31m-of-ether/

It's the wallet was holding the Ethereum that got hacked due to a flaw in the code of the wallet.

From the article

"It's important to understand that this exploit was not a vulnerability in Ethereum or in Parity itself. Rather, it was a vulnerability in the default smart contract code that the Parity client gives the user for deploying multi-signature wallets."

Probably should of read the article bro, I haven't but instantly saw that quote as it was highlighted in bold.

Anyway all of these issues around the ETH eco system are good as they can then be fixed.

Edited by Convict Colony

I did read the whole article but to me the minor detail as to how matters not a jot...it admits that it was hacked.

You had stated that it could never be hacked so I was just pointing out that alas you were incorrect and as a result

people lost a lot of money due to that hacking attack.

How it was done is of no concern to me as I find the whole system rather....shall we say "interesting" and not one I

would ever contemplate joining as I have no wish whatsoever to lose my millionaire lifestyle by becoming instantly poor

overnight espcially at my time of life.

As for any future issues that can be fixed when found, well I wonder what the people who lost their money think about

that? The article says that the victims money has been lost for good and they won't get any back.Still easy come easy

go is a mantra that some live by I suppose :D

• 2 weeks later...

Your example is bizarre as it's like saying yeah let's not use money anymore cos some one got pickpocketed or a bank got robbed and as an aside I would never advocate anyone putting money into something that they could not afford to lose.

I have bad news for you the financial world is advancing but each to their own.

Anyway I came back in to report the bear run has ended and the bull commenced on Saturday, lets see how far this goes

Your example is bizarre as it's like saying yeah let's not use money anymore cos some one got pickpocketed or a bank got robbed and as an aside I would never advocate anyone putting money into something that they could not afford to lose.

I have bad news for you the financial world is advancing but each to their own.

Anyway I came back in to report the bear run has ended and the bull commenced on Saturday, lets see how far this goes

Re being targetted by a pickpocket.... No sensible person carries a lot of cash these days I hope. I know that I don't.

Ref a Bank getting robbed well they are insured and MY money will be safe whereas when this new system gets robbed tough luck YOU lose Your money.

Ref the financial world advancing well yes it is but is it really advancing safely? I have my doubts as it appears to me that it is actually getting easier to steal

these days. Banks never openly admit to being a victim of fraud as it would be bad for their image and customer confidence. Now as bad as that situation

is I still have much more confidence in a Bank than with some system associated with this lastest fad.

Well at least we appear to agree on one thing and that is don't gamble unless you can afford or don't want to lose if it all goes wrong. Well said OldNick in his

post above this one.

• 2 months later...

You boys who have Bitcoin must be on a Carribean beach. I cant get my head around it, but it seems it is flying , up 500% against the $ in 2017.

I haven't any investment in it, probably missed the boat, but as I don't understand it, I cant have the faith to chuck a large amount in it

You boys who have Bitcoin must be on a Carribean beach. I cant get my head around it, but it seems it is flying , up 500% against the $ in 2017.

I haven't any investment in it, probably missed the boat, but as I don't understand it, I cant have the faith to chuck a large amount in it

Ethereum is up 2495% over the last 12 months.

Nor can I. For me there is a whiff of tulip mania about it.

Ethereum is up 2495% over the last 12 months.
I cant work out what you get! Its nothing material, it seems its just like a phone line connection seems to me. As I say I don't get what it is and why its there.I have tried to understand it but.....

Same type of product isn't it??

They’re both digital currencies and decentralised payment methods -and so should benefit from the same macro-trends. But they’re also rivals with Ethereum seen as the upstart, so their fortunes will diverge depending on which option punters think is the more attractive, sustainable long-term option (not to mention short-term speculative behaviour).

As I say if you had invested your hard earned pound sterling in Ethereum in mid-June as was being recommended on here, you would not only be down nearly 30% but would have had a very bumpy ride along the way. The maximum drawdown over the past 4 months is closer to a 60% loss if you had shît your pants and thrown in the towel early.

https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/ethereum/gbp

Indeed hindsight is a wonderful thing. Made 49% on bitcoin since the beginning of october

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Very tidy. I stick to good, old-fashioned shares or some racier funds if I’m feeling adventurous. How much did you invest?

Very tidy. I stick to good, old-fashioned shares or some racier funds if I’m feeling adventurous. How much did you invest?

Not a lot, as it is akin to sitting at a roulette wheel, which is more fun to be honest. Just bought £1k worth of Bitcoin on Coinbase, it stands at £1480 now, so that's next year's season ticket nearly paid for.

TBH I did it out of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about. It was fun watching it go up and down like a tarts knickers on an almost hourly basis. More fun than posting on the EU or JC threads in the lounge