Puel Sacked? - As Reported by Crook of Sh*t

Personally I want somebody with a bit of fire and passion who can get the team playing pressing attacking football get Poch back and Cortese the Don. Least he would have the swedes to tell the scousers to do one...... Unlike the bunch of egg mayo sanwiches we have currently as a board.

Well put ....

Gary Monk. GARY MONK. Even tomorrow may not be as depressing

If we end up with Monk then you have to ask if it is worth changing?

We seem a bit shambolic as a club right now

Par for the last three summers really though, are you surprised?

Good to know we've got the steady hand of Les steering the ship though, and up until last summer his record wasn't too bad (if you exclude the Toby f^ck up...),but at least this year we've not had the Les video yet.

His position was untenable, let's be honest. Was just waiting for this to come out. Oddly kinda lines up with the St Etienne ITK's reporting that it will be sorted by Thursday.

But Puel seemed a nice chap, he just tried to shoehorn his way rather than adapting to the players we already had. It was pretty obvious from day 1 that the formation didn't suit certain players, and as the season grew on it didn't really change. The last game of the season we looked as confused as to what we were trying to do as we did at the start.

I don't like getting rid of managers so quickly, but there wasn't really any option here. The media will paint the 8th placed finish and cup final towards this being a crazy sacking, but it was the worst 8th place finish in the history of the PL.

It's not about the 8th place finish, or the cup final. It's about the gap between 8th and 7th and us being on the wrong side of it. There'd be less moaning if there was 15 points between us and Bournemouth and it was only goal difference that put Everton ahead of us.

We seem a bit shambolic as a club right now

I'm equivocal about whether he goes or stays, but if he goes I'm certain we will replace him with another damned good manager. There are a few around and we are now a very desirable club. And if VvD goes for the sort of fee that is being bandied around, then we will be, in my opinion, in the best position we have ever been in. One that, barring the usual culprits in the top six, every other club would cut off their right arm to be in.

It's not about the 8th place or the cup final. It's about the gap between 8th and 7th and us being on the wrong side of it. There'd be less moaning if there was 15 points between us and Bournemouth and it was only goal difference that put Everton ahead of us.

Why are West Ham, WBA and Stoke not calling for their manager to be sacked? They finished below that and haven't had a cup final.

Why are West Ham, WBA and Stoke not calling for their manager to be sacked? They finished below that and haven't had a cup final.

Expectations I guess.

But I can tell you that Stoke fans want Hughes out, they've had enough of him. Pulis did as much as he could with that WBA squad you'd have to say, but I know some of their fans who wouldn't be too fed up to see the back of him.

Not convinced the new bloke is going to do any better no Bertrand, no VVD, JWP and Davis still in our midfield, Tadic still sulking, Forster still doing the mannequin challenge in goal, and Shane Long still offside. Next season could be even worse unless Les has a cracking transfer window.

Because Koeman didn't do any better did he. :mcinnes:

Don't understand the clamour for Gary Monk? Failure at Swansea, never set the world alight at Leeds.

It's because the thick amongst us are obsessed with having people with former connections to the club. Monk is not good enough. Never was good enough as a player for us and will not be a good enough manager to warrant appointment at a club that says it is aiming for Champions Champions. Says....but not really acting in that way at the moment.....but that a different argument!!

Someone with passion, status and tactical nouse please....

So the only one saying that Puel has been sacked is the OP. The Express article doesn't say it and no-one else is reporting it (yet). Really the thread title should be changed to stop people getting their hopes up prematurely.

The interesting bit in the Express article is that Forster is in the Saints team of stars that we would have had if we hadn't sold them, so Forster is on his way then.

His position was untenable, let's be honest. Was just waiting for this to come out. Oddly kinda lines up with the St Etienne ITK's reporting that it will be sorted by Thursday.

But Puel seemed a nice chap, he just tried to shoehorn his way rather than adapting to the players we already had. It was pretty obvious from day 1 that the formation didn't suit certain players, and as the season grew on it didn't really change. The last game of the season we looked as confused as to what we were trying to do as we did at the start.

I don't like getting rid of managers so quickly, but there wasn't really any option here. The media will paint the 8th placed finish and cup final towards this being a crazy sacking, but it was the worst 8th place finish in the history of the PL.

I'm not convinced the change in style was all Puel. The season before when Koeman was struggling mid season, and ITK brigade suggested he was close to the sack one of the criticism the board apparently had was playing style.

I very much suspect that Les wanted a more technical, ball to feet, possession based style which is why he employed Puel in the first place.

I'm equivocal about whether he goes or stays, but if he goes I'm certain we will replace him with another damned good manager. There are a few around and we are now a very desirable club. And if VvD goes for the sort of fee that is being bandied around, then we will be, in my opinion, in the best position we have ever been in. One that, barring the usual culprits in the top six, every other club would cut off their right arm to be in.

The best position we have ever been in? After getting rid of - in my opinion - the best player we have had (okay second behind Le Tiss but only just). I think this is a little far-fetched. We will be having to rebuild yet again, from a lower position than last time and the time before. The general direction is towards mediocrity through selling excellence and semi-replacing with 'meh' players. It feels like an inexorable decline that may only be stopped by something dramatic

Because Koeman didn't do any better did he. :mcinnes:

Koeman had had a much better squad several of who we flogged and replaced with less talented players and it looks like we are flogging the best again this season so the next guy is going to have an even tougher job.

It's not about the 8th place finish, or the cup final. It's about the gap between 8th and 7th and us being on the wrong side of it. There'd be less moaning if there was 15 points between us and Bournemouth and it was only goal difference that put Everton ahead of us.

That's what happens when you sell your best players and replace them with mediocre ones. Up until last summer we had done ok with recruitment. But this season shows were the strategy falls down if you slip up with your recruitment.

I just wanna say that getting to a cup final is not winning a trophy. People keep saying "we got to a cup final" like we won the champions league.

So you would rather not get to cup finals? Cup finals have to been seen in the context that saints don't get to many there was 14 years between the last two. Sure if you are a Man U or Chelsea fan I can understand the meh what ever attitude. But as fans of a club that barely ever get near a final getting to one is a big deal imo.

For the last few games they looked to me like a group of players who had never played together before. This had happened several times over the season and coincided with the crabby football.

So you would rather not get to cup finals? Cup finals have to been seen in the context that saints don't get to many there was 14 years between the last two. Sure if you are a Man U or Chelsea fan I can understand the meh what ever attitude. But as fans of a club that barely ever get near a final getting to one is a big deal imo.

I'm with Sonic on this. I want to see us winning cups, not just taking part. And I want to see us making a go of it in both competitions, not treating a trip to Wembley like it was something we'd never do again.

Claude Puel faces sack at Southampton, once they have found replacement:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/claude-puel-faces-sack-southampton-have-found-replacement/

Ahh the clubs offical grim reaper has spoken.

Sounds like a cluster **** though Puel is gone unless we can't find a suitable replacement in which case he stays really decisive. How the hell will that work next season if we can't find a better manager?

Hardly sounds like amazing succession planning from Les. Also noted that the article actually confirms that the manager has little input in signing players.

Bizarre.

Yeah, that wouldn't end well...!

''Well, we don't really rate you. the fans don't, the players don't. We want to get rid of you, but we can't find anyone to do that. So we're going to have to be stuck with you for the time being''

One way to get him to walk I guess...

''Well, we don't really rate you. the fans don't, the players don't. We want to get rid of you, but we can't find anyone to do that. So we're going to have to be stuck with you for the time being''

There is no way I can see that happening, it would be a complete farce.

Precisely, it's a bizarre scenario and one the club should have avoided. Surely his position is 100% untenable?

Precisely, it's a bizarre scenario and one the club should have avoided. Surely his position is 100% untenable?

Personally I don't think there is any scenario where he can stay now, I'm sure the club know that. They must be confident in getting one of their targets I'd say.

Very unprofessional but then again you have to look whose above him making these decisions - or not making them... and the fact they've allowed the speculation over his future to be played out and fester in the press.

It's similar to bottlejobbing telling a girl you don't fancy her anymore so you just keep leading her on... not really fair on Puel tbh and not really fair on the fans.

Be decisive Saints ffs.

There is no way I can see that happening, it would be a complete farce.

If I was a cynical sort I might think Les would like it this way so he can do his summer transfer work without some annoying manager sticking his oar in. Les can then just recruit a new manager to work with the players he is given

The article linked above actually stats that player recruitment doesn't require a manager as Reed and Wilson are responsible for that side of things.

I know odds are just put together by a random person who doesn't know much and then betting patterns dictate the ups and downs, but I hope Saints have a few names up their sleeve compared to the list on oddschecker...

Barely a name on there I'd be excited by!