Puel Sacked? - As Reported by Crook of Sh*t

I'm still fairly expectant of an exciting name, and this takeover stuff has mapped out pretty exactly to how i was told things would go.

Pellegrino is my guess

I'm not saying he would be a bad choice, but I can't see how Pellegrino matches the description of an "exciting name".

Tuchel is a name that would make news around Europe, Schmidt to a lesser extent. But Pellegrino isn't particularly high profile.

Still very reluctant to get myself excited by the thought of Tuchel, not seen enough concrete 'sources' to suggest this is even a goer...but let's see.

and plus, we still actually have a manager..!

Publications like The Independent and The Telegraph running with the interest in him is more telling than the red tops doing so...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-new-manager-thomas-tuchel-claude-puel-pelligrino-a7779836.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/claude-puel-faces-sack-southampton-have-found-replacement/

The Telegraph story is from one of the main journalist Saints give details to. I would imagine Tuchel has already been approached to gage possible interest before the club told Jeremy Wilson anything.

Publications like The Independent and The Telegraph running with the interest in him is more telling than the red tops doing so...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-new-manager-thomas-tuchel-claude-puel-pelligrino-a7779836.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/claude-puel-faces-sack-southampton-have-found-replacement/

The Telegraph story is from one of the main journalist Saints give details to. I would imagine Tuchel has already been approached to gage possible interest before the club told Jeremy Wilson anything.

I don't want to do an 'MLG' on you, but is it not to gauge interest? ;)

I'm not saying he would be a bad choice, but I can't see how Pellegrino matches the description of an "exciting name".

Tuchel is a name that would make news around Europe, Schmidt to a lesser extent. But Pellegrino isn't particularly high profile.

Tend to agree. Also, is his managerial record that good? There are quite a few managers in Europe who have done pretty good jobs with small clubs, Mendilibar at Eibar, Sacristan at Sociedad, Gasperini at Atalanta and Di Francesco at Sassuolo. Alaves finished 9th and lost in a cup final, if that in itself is impressive then... well you know where this is going!

I'd happily listen to opinions of Pellegrino's history and style, as I don't know. Equally, I don't know much about those other managers I've listed, but just making the point that we shouldn't look at one or two factors and assume they're great managers.

Still very reluctant to get myself excited by the thought of Tuchel, not seen enough concrete 'sources' to suggest this is even a goer...but let's see.

and plus, we still actually have a manager..!

I keep having to remind myself we still have a manager.

The pool of managers is getting pretty thin.

I hope we've actually made an agreement with the incoming manager... otherwise all this arsing around with Puel is going to leave us with slim pickings, not to mention less prep time for new manager.

I hope we've actually made an agreement with the incoming manager... otherwise all this arsing around with Puel is going to leave us with slim pickings, not to mention less prep time for new manager.

It's ok Les is keeping Puel on the pay roll so if it doesn't work out with a new bloke Puel can just carry on......

I've read somewhere that Reed interviewed Puel three times before making his mind up.

Reckon we are still 3 weeks away from appointing a new manager.

To be fair Reed probably fell asleep during the first two interviews....

I've read somewhere that Reed interviewed Puel three times before making his mind up.

Reed obviously took some convincing then, had he of read fans comments from clubs Puel managed previously he would of known what style of football Puel would dish out, I did and it was always going to be dull, dull, dull.

Once again...

Reed obviously took some convincing then, had he of read fans comments from clubs Puel managed previously he would of known what style of football Puel would dish out, I did and it was always going to be dull, dull, dull.

Think its safe to assume the Leslie's wish list is slightly different to fans.

Fans want a manager with...

Charisma

Experience

A playing style identity

Ideally a big name

Plays exciting and entertaining football

Gives youth a chance (if good enough)

Reed wants...

A yes man (Reed is in charge of "everything")

Plays youth regardless

An appointment that is not predictable

Therefore expecting Reed to deliver more disappointment and deliver someone like Vítor Pereira or Vítor Pereira or even worse stick with Puel just to remind us" hes in charge of everything "

Puel is clearly a goner. Why haven't we just announced it? Don't understand how that really benefits anyone, it just makes us look heartless and snakey.

I'm sure Puel knows either way. So he is sat on a beach plotting how to entertain us next year or relaxing whilst his lawyer negotiates the pay off.

Charisma

Experience

A playing style identity

Ideally a big name

Reed wants...

Plays youth regardless

Therefore expecting Reed to deliver more disappointment and deliver someone like Vítor Pereira or Vítor Pereira or even worse stick with Puel just to remind us" hes in charge of everything "

You do talk a load of old rubbish ffs.

As some on here pointed out, unless its the pay out thats taking time, its highly unlikely that they havent decided what to do about puel yet. Its been weeks since the season review ended. As for the takover, well its twice now that lander decided they got the deal over the line and both times reports to the contrary came out of the club. Are lander such amateures that they dont know to hold off the champagne popping until business has concluded officially? Jeez you get the impression that they dont know what theyre doing each time this happens and kat grows more weary after each of their premature celebrations. I wish the club would put out a progress report if as lander seem to have us believe, the deal will actually be completed. Or if its not happening at all and lander are clutching at sraws here. Would save us a s**t ton of speculation.

As some on here pointed out, unless its the pay out thats taking time, its highly unlikely that they havent decided what to do about puel yet. Its been weeks since the season review ended. As for the takover, well its twice now that lander decided they got the deal over the line and both times reports to the contrary came out of the club. Are lander such amateures that they dont know to hold off the champagne popping until business has concluded officially? Jeez you get the impression that they dont know what theyre doing each time this happens and kat grows more weary after each of their premature celebrations. I wish the club would put out a progress report if as lander seem to have us believe, the deal will actually be completed. Or if its not happening at all and lander are clutching at sraws here. Would save us a s**t ton of speculation.

It is possibly a strategy forcing the club's hand. I doubt they are prematurely celebrating.

depends if the interviews were done in the South of France, if they were done in Woolston then perhaps you have a point

depends if the interviews were done in the South of France, if they were done in Woolston then perhaps you have a point

I saw Les Reed in The Peartree with some German looking bloke called Tommy, who was drinking a stein of lager. Unfortunately, Mental Mark got involved in the negotiations and Les had to give him a quid for the pool table to get rid of him.

Great article and this is exactly it for me:

Conversely, not much has to go wrong for those fractures to appear. One of the idiosyncrasies of this Puel situation is that, if it comes to pass, the decision to let him go will be both harsh and entirely reasonable. Southampton haven’t been entertaining, but they’ve achieved a solid par in literal performance terms. The problem, instead, comes in the form of a Je ne sais quoi...something is wrong, but nobody knows quite what it is. The football he’s coached hasn’t quite been bold enough. The players don’t seem to like him quite enough. And there’s a lingering feeling, especially among those who have his team this season, that – in spite of what the league table may say – this is an imperfect marriage which is better off annulled. Something in the air isn’t quite right.

In this instance, that’s sufficient. Most managerial situations are erroneously judged on a criteria best applied only to the biggest jobs in the country. Jose Mourinho’s status at Manchester United and Antonio Conte’s employment at Chelsea are, despite the high-stakes, far more cut and dried, with those jobs depending on clear landmarks and achievements. At Southampton, success is more ethereal; they too strive for the shiny emblems, but the determination of progress is altogether more vague. The emphasis, really, is on the creation of a certain a mood – a mood which, unfortunately, Puel has been unable to foster. When his departure is formalised, he will leave not because of what he has failed to do this season, but what he appears unlikely to do next year.

Absolutely spot on analysis - could agree more. Plus he delivers a press conference that is as inspiring and interesting as a lump of dried turd.

Charisma

Experience

A playing style identity

Ideally a big name

Reed wants...

Plays youth regardless

I have to disagree partially with your view on what fans want from a manager. I couldn't care less if he's a boring bloke in the press or nobody's ever heard of him. In my view only plastic fans care about that sort of Sky Sports bull****. What I want from a manager is somewhat stated in your other points; someone who gets the players motivated and engaged tactically, has a good footballing philosophy (but is adaptable), and gives youth a chance.

As for your opinions on Reed, you've made them very clear so I won't bother engaging with them. What I will say though is given the appointments he's been involved in so far, he deserves a bit less flack.

We could do far worse than Glenn Hoddle or Kevin Keegan.

We could also do a lot better. Keegan is the one that I always wanted in our Championship and League One days and was happy that time it looked like he was going to be appointed. But we've now progressed beyond that level.

We could also do a lot better. Keegan is the one that I always wanted in our Championship and League One days and was happy that time it looked like he was going to be appointed. But we've now progressed beyond that level.

George Graham for me

I have to disagree partially with your view on what fans want from a manager. I couldn't care less if he's a boring bloke in the press or nobody's ever heard of him. In my view only plastic fans care about that sort of Sky Sports bull****. What I want from a manager is somewhat stated in your other points; someone who gets the players motivated and engaged tactically, has a good footballing philosophy (but is adaptable), and gives youth a chance.

As for your opinions on Reed, you've made them very clear so I won't bother engaging with them. What I will say though is given the appointments he's been involved in so far, he deserves a bit less flack.

Spot on !!! Good to read someone talking sense.

I would add to the list of desirable attributes in a manager is the ability to improve players technically. This is something both Poch and Puel had, particularly with the young players.

With regards to Puel my concern is that his ability to get the players motivated and engaged tactically seems to have come up short and, if anything, got worse as the season progressed. Other than that I think he's been Ok but wouldn't object to us replacing him if there's a better option out there (Tuchel ?).

Spot on !!! Good to read someone talking sense.

I would add to the list of desirable attributes in a manager is the ability to improve players technically. This is something both Poch and Puel had, particularly with the young players.

With regards to Puel my concern is that his ability to get the players motivated and engaged tactically seems to have come up short and, if anything, got worse as the season progressed. Other than that I think he's been Ok but wouldn't object to us replacing him if there's a better option out there (Tuchel ?).

Puel improved their technical skills ? You sure about that ? Gotta say I disagree

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Considering the Vvd fiasco, can we tap up other potential managers if Puel is still under contract?.

Yes, there is no rule saying we can't have two contracted managers and it seems most of the people we are talking to are free agents anyway so aren't under contract.

Yes, there is no rule saying we can't have two contracted managers and it seems most of the people we are talking to are free agents anyway so aren't under contract.

Ahh ok, thanks.

It just seems a bit unfair to have your current manager hanging on a piece of string whilst looking to see if you can find someone better if indeed that is the case, double standards and all that.