Puel Sacked? - As Reported by Crook of Sh*t

He's trying to but every time he gets in his car he goes sideways, then back, then sideways again, He can't get out of the St Marys carpark...

Happily, the car park has interesting possibilities, however

A really good article in France on Puel at St Etienne and the recruitment process

http://www.butfootballclub.fr/ligue-1/saint-etienne/asse-le-tierce-de-tete-pour-le-poste-dentraineur-est-etabli/

Not that interesting - but in English it says:

head tierce for coaching position established

As we gradually get closer to the denouement in the file of the replacement of Christophe Galtier, we begin to see more clearly on the tracks privileged.

Tired of hearing some names come out in the press when it was not a serious one (Le Guen, Passi, Roy, Renard), the club had split a communiqué in the middle of last week assuring to have "A short list of high level coaches who agree to join the club". There were five of them. They are now only three. Last weekend, Fabio Celestini (Lausanne Sport) was the first to throw in the towel: "I have been in discussions with Saint-Etienne for three weeks. Everything seemed clear and clear. But within the Greens board, there are apparently differences of opinion, "said the Swiss technician whose profile was mostly appreciated by David Wantier more than the two presidents of St. Helena. Result: the former OM player chose to stay in Lausanne where his management had asked him to position. On Monday, Patrick Vieira (New York City) put an end to speculation in the "New York Post": "I'm going to stay here, I'm embarking on a long-term project with New York City." While the meetings were still going on at the beginning of the week for the Stephan leaders, the choice was not completely fixed.

Towards a final Garcia-Puel

The management of AS Saint-Étienne wanted the arrival of Claude Puel (Southampton). Le Castrais corresponds to the profile of builder sought to rebuild after Christophe Galtier and it has real references. Problem: the former coach of Nice is not free for the moment and, even if he is on the departure in England, his club plays the watch not to have to pay its heavy indemnity of dismissal (in the vicinity of € 8 million for its remaining two years of contract). The Greens will not pay for the slate and if they wait in the hope that Puel finds an agreement to free themselves, the delay is not extensible beyond 15 June. The English press announced an imminent departure but it was not yet official. And it was therefore impossible for the technician to respond favorably to the interests of the Greens. Today, time is in favor of Oscar Garcia (Red Bull Salzburg), who is not free either but who should be able to more easily obtain his letter of exit in Austria. At the end of the final of the National Cup against Rapid Vienna last Thursday (victory 2-1), the Spaniard was evasive on his future.

Garcia bored by Salzburg?

In private, it is said to be weary of seeing the shareholder Red Bull now put its resources on the Leipzig team. If the track was not a priority before the meeting in Paris a fortnight ago, it gradually gained in thickness. Garcia, a disciple of Johan Cruyff, advocates exactly what the club is looking for in terms of play and has made a strong impression by his (theoretical) knowledge of the Ligue 1 as well as the players of Saint-Etienne. In the minds of the leaders, Garcia comes in second behind Claude Puel and ahead of Claudio Ranieri (free), which has financial and human requirements (staff) very heavy for the ASSE and far too important for Roland Romeyer. It is probably in these two (or three) tracks that we should find the future coach of the Greens although it is still not excluded that a CV initially placed in the second circle of possibilities (Eduardo Berizzo, Marcelo Gallardo, Gabriel Heinze, Francesco Guidolin) returns to the top of the pile of this interminable casting ...

I really dislike the way this has been handled by Saints. CP rumoured to be sacked by every media source and social media going and not one denial, to my knowledge, by Saints is rather poor. All and sunder have been quick to jump on Liverpool for the way that club has been involved with our Captain being tapped up, yet Saints won't come out of this mess smelling of Roses. Forget about CP as our manager, what about CP the person! Can't say I like the way this saga is going.

I'm curious, please give us an example of what you'd like this statement to say.

Take it with a pinch of salt but got this from the St Etienne forum today.

"there is a meeting today in southampton, for surely the dismissal of pc"

Police constable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will definately not see another boring Claude game with Roger in charge!

Is this definitely true? Spoke to a colleague who watches/follows German football and he said he thought Tuchel was more impressive than Schmidt, and that Schmidt should really have done better (this season at least) with Leverkusen.

He might be wrong, I have no idea myself.

Plus why would ASSE pay us when it has become the worst kept secret (after Kloppgate) that Saints are planning to ditch him any way hang on a couple of weeks and they can get him for free

My take on this, is that if we pay compensation, nobody else can employ him. If the contract is just torn up, they can. If he was to go to St Etienne, they have to pay for his contract. I'm sure someone will correct this if I am wrong.

So anyway, according to a chap I know ASSE haven't given up on Viera yet and he's thinking about their offer. Puel is only about 4th possible on the real list. Saints just need to sack him if that's what they want to do and let everybody else just get on with their own thing.

St Étienne have an agreement with Red Bull Salzburg boss Oscar Garcia as a Plan B; Claude Puel out of the race goo.gl/WGhgbR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely don't get what ASSE are doing, how many managers have they talked to now ?!?

I genuinely don't get what ASSE are doing, how many managers have they talked to now ?!?

A lot, their problem, if you see it that way, is that the pay very poorly. Galtier was on their maximum salary of somewhere around 90K euros gross a month. They want top drawer for bottom dollar and that's always going to cause problems. Ranieri was amongst the favourites but he was way too expensive for them. I'd guess that they were hoping to tempt Puel for far less than he must be getting at Saints with the blow cushioned by a Saints payoff. He's turned them down twice anyhow.

hopefully sarcasm or your itk status is a joke

Yep, sarcasm....

FWIW, i'm not 'ITK' just know a few people that are, who some times provide me with little snippets.

I maintain, that I think we are going for a big name and if we don't, it will be because we have failed to get our first / second choice, which wouldn't be ideal. I honestly believe (I have not been told this, just my opinion) that if Emery were to be sacked by PSG, he would be our number 1 choice (I've been told he was just that in the summer) and we'd stand a very good chance of landing him.

I get the impression that we had spoken to Silva, again another person we had spoken to previously, and had ruled him out for one reason or another.

As for Tuchel, I really don't know about him. I would imagine he is high on the list, however if we can persuade him and/or if he and Les could have a successful working relationship is yet to be seen. If he is appointed, I would say it would be similar to the Koeman appointment. A big name to steady the ship, but not seen as long term option (for both parties).

Yep, sarcasm....

FWIW, i'm not 'ITK' just know a few people that are, who some times provide me with little snippets.

I maintain, that I think we are going for a big name and if we don't, it will be because we have failed to get our first / second choice, which wouldn't be ideal. I honestly believe (I have not been told this, just my opinion) that if Emery were to be sacked by PSG, he would be our number 1 choice (I've been told he was just that in the summer) and we'd stand a very good chance of landing him.

I get the impression that we had spoken to Silva, again another person we had spoken to previously, and had ruled him out for one reason or another.

As for Tuchel, I really don't know about him. I would imagine he is high on the list, however if we can persuade him and/or if he and Les could have a successful working relationship is yet to be seen. If he is appointed, I would say it would be similar to the Koeman appointment. A big name to steady the ship, but not seen as long term option (for both parties).

What about LVG SKD, would he be on the shortlist?

LVG sounds like the sort of manager new Chinese owners would love..

If the new owners come in and pick the new manager I will be very concerned for the future, especially given Kat has said we will keep the same infrastructure in place ect...

As for LVG, I think we'd be stupid to rule him out with his success and experience (I think you should ignore his time at Utd as that looks to be a bit of a poison chalice at the moment), but I'm not sure he the the type of manager we would go for. Personally I'd be surprised if we went for LVG.

LVG sounds like the sort of manager new Chinese owners would love..

Hope not, I personally would go with Schmidt and bring the high pressing football back, he might even stay a bit longer than 2 years where as Touchal will probably only stay 2 years.

Hope not, I personally would go with Schmidt and bring the high pressing football back, he might even stay a bit longer than 2 years where as Touchal will probably only stay 2 years.

Schmidt is among the favourites at Palace is he not ? I do wonder if Puel hasn't applied for the job there as well, if he's free to apply for jobs as he seems to be that is.

If the new owners come in and pick the new manager I will be very concerned for the future, especially given Kat has said we will keep the same infrastructure in place ect...

As for LVG, I think we'd be stupid to rule him out with his success and experience (I think you should ignore his time at Utd as that looks to be a bit of a poison chalice at the moment), but I'm not sure he the the type of manager we would go for. Personally I'd be surprised if we went for LVG.

Why would we hire an old man well past his sell by date? Experience is extremely overrated, coaches generally achieve their biggest successes in the first few years of their careers, usually in their 40s, when they are more inovative rather than set in their ways. LVG's peak was 20 years ago and his achievements then are utterly irrelevant to the present.

Why would we hire an old man well past his sell by date? Experience is extremely overrated, coaches generally achieve their biggest successes in the first few years of their careers, usually in their 40s, when they are more inovative rather than set in their ways. LVG's peak was 20 years ago and his achievements then are utterly irrelevant to the present.

1991–1997 Ajax

1997–2000 Barcelona

2000–2002 Netherlands

2002–2003 Barcelona

2005–2009 AZ

2009–2011 Bayern Munich

2012–2014 Netherlands

2014–2016 Manchester United

so in your opinion, that 'experience' is overrated.... :mcinnes:

Rotation not working very well??

Now there's a thought.

How about having two managers,as they must get tired with 2 games in a week as well.

Win 3-0 on Saturday Puell? .... tough t!tties .... you're dropped for our mid week game .... have some of your own medicine. :-)

Yep, sarcasm....

Is there such a thing as long term in football anymore?.

I would just like to confirm, despite a number of posts saying I'm in for contention I can officially rule myself out.

Not sure why everyone keepers saying I failed at Swansea and Leeds, I've never even bloody been there!

Great article and this is exactly it for me:

Conversely, not much has to go wrong for those fractures to appear. One of the idiosyncrasies of this Puel situation is that, if it comes to pass, the decision to let him go will be both harsh and entirely reasonable. Southampton haven’t been entertaining, but they’ve achieved a solid par in literal performance terms. The problem, instead, comes in the form of a Je ne sais quoi...something is wrong, but nobody knows quite what it is. The football he’s coached hasn’t quite been bold enough. The players don’t seem to like him quite enough. And there’s a lingering feeling, especially among those who have his team this season, that – in spite of what the league table may say – this is an imperfect marriage which is better off annulled. Something in the air isn’t quite right.

In this instance, that’s sufficient. Most managerial situations are erroneously judged on a criteria best applied only to the biggest jobs in the country. Jose Mourinho’s status at Manchester United and Antonio Conte’s employment at Chelsea are, despite the high-stakes, far more cut and dried, with those jobs depending on clear landmarks and achievements. At Southampton, success is more ethereal; they too strive for the shiny emblems, but the determination of progress is altogether more vague. The emphasis, really, is on the creation of a certain a mood – a mood which, unfortunately, Puel has been unable to foster. When his departure is formalised, he will leave not because of what he has failed to do this season, but what he appears unlikely to do next year.

After his train wreck in Milan I'd doubt he'd get a job coaching Crystal Palace ladies.

To be fair to De Boer, Inter has been a train wreck of a club these past few years. And Stefano Pioli, who followed De Boer (who was fired in November), was already fired before the end of the season again as well.