yet another Boufal injury

patred44

Boufal has returned to Southampton from international duty for treatment to an ankle injury picked up against Holland.

It was thought at first to be only a minor knock and would clear up with a 10 day break until he's due to play again.

But (as always with Boufal) it has turned out more serious, and it's feared it could delay his preseason training.

Is it that our record signing is turning out to a delicate flower, or just the unluckiest player we bought since Delgado ?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/exclusive-update-southampton-forwards-injury-pulling-international-duty/

Edited by patred44

Very disappointing this season. Scored a couple of good goals and that was that. It we had kept Mane then there would be no talk of Puel losing his job in my opinion. But what's done is done, hopefully will be better next season if he can be bothered to play.

Has fantastic ability but looks hard to coach, petulant and fitness a big issue. He could lay off the fags for a start.

If I had to stick my neck out would say he will continue to flop, which is a great shame.

Is that true? There's no excuse for a professional athlete being paid a fortune smoking that shit. (Ditto anything more than an occasional drink.)

The end of last season was the perfect opportunity to give him a run of 90 minute games in the number 10 role to see if he can acclimatise the tempo of the league, as so far he hasn't. He shows signs of ability but that's not enough. However getting stuck out on a wing with 20 minutes to go won't help either.

Tadic having a good game at Sunderland was to the detriment of our season. It was clear at the beginning of the season he isn't a number 10 when we played the diamond - too slow, unable to play on the half turn, hugely frustrating in overhitting through balls and unable to finish. He is a good crosser and rarely gives the ball away out wide, and needs to stay out there.

My neighbour's kid seems to take harder knocks than Boufal....... Hope it's not too serious the poor Luv :(

Ramirez in disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a 2-4-1 with the Puel **** up

Nothing like fans slagging a player off for being injured with absolutely no clue as to what happened... only on SWF... :rolleyes:

Nothing like fans slagging a player off for being injured with absolutely no clue as to what happened... only on SWF... :rolleyes:

Don't think anyone is slagging him off.

It's a very important preseason for him, a chance to get really fit.

Then hopefully we'll see some more of his quality, which he has shown on the odd occassion.

We all want a big season out of him this season

I've got to agree with you there. Could have been an impact injury. Someone could have ploughed into him. We just don't know. No one wil be more upset about this injury than the player.

The beginning of that article is absolutely spot-on:

Bought with so much promise from Lille last summer very late on, Sofiane Boufal’s first season at Southampton has been more miss than hit.

Arriving with a knee injury, the forward took time to recover, before injuring himself once again before going on international duty for the Africa Cup of Nations, meaning he only managed 15 starts throughout the season.

His return from 30 appearances overall was just two goals and one assist, with many Saints fans expecting a lot more from their record transfer.

I maintain that Boufal being our major signing last summer (in full knowledge that he would miss half the season) was a big mistake by the board. We desperately needed to sign a goalscorer last summer, yet didn't do so until the last day of January!

Here's hoping for much better from the board during this window, and from Boufal this coming season.

The beginning of that article is absolutely spot-on:

Bought with so much promise from Lille last summer very late on, Sofiane Boufal’s first season at Southampton has been more miss than hit.

Arriving with a knee injury, the forward took time to recover, before injuring himself once again before going on international duty for the Africa Cup of Nations, meaning he only managed 15 starts throughout the season.

His return from 30 appearances overall was just two goals and one assist, with many Saints fans expecting a lot more from their record transfer.

I maintain that Boufal being our major signing last summer (in full knowledge that he would miss half the season) was a big mistake by the board. We desperately needed to sign a goalscorer last summer, yet didn't do so until the last day of January!

Here's hoping for much better from the board during this window, and from Boufal this coming season.

It was a huge mistake....the bit about not signing another forward in summer. Not having a replacement for Pelle dictated the shape we played, and not having a targetman we had no out ball..which led to boring tippy tappy poscession footbal we played in our build up. Someone like Carrol would have fitted into our side well.

And of course chasing a forward in the winter window and a decent centre back proved too much for our recruitment team. We seem to be only capable of concentrating on one transfer target at a time for some reason.

No way Pahars was and still is a legend loved him playing for us.

And so did I, he was a fantastic player, however towards the end of his career with us, it was sad to see how often he was injured. I think it was WGS who famously joked that Pahars was the only player he knew who could walk past a computer and pick up a virus!:D

Let's hope Boufal is made of sterner stuff

The end of last season was the perfect opportunity to give him a run of 90 minute games in the number 10 role to see if he can acclimatise the tempo of the league, as so far he hasn't. He shows signs of ability but that's not enough. However getting stuck out on a wing with 20 minutes to go won't help either.

Tadic having a good game at Sunderland was to the detriment of our season. It was clear at the beginning of the season he isn't a number 10 when we played the diamond - too slow, unable to play on the half turn, hugely frustrating in overhitting through balls and unable to finish. He is a good crosser and rarely gives the ball away out wide, and needs to stay out there.

Agree entirely with this.

However, Sport Witness has learnt the injury is really nothing to worry about, with Boufal only slightly spraining his ankle, and he should be fit in about a week or so.

Should be fine, let's hope the new manager is able to get the best out of him and he has a good pre-season. Number 10 role does look like his potential best area, he's shown glimpses of quality of there and offers something we don't really have in anyone else which is genuine ability to run with the ball through the middle.