Other Premier League Transfers - Deadline Day

Lighthouse

How can they spend £20M on one player?

Doesn't FFP come into it somewhere? Does the fact they get about 84 people in their ground each match day not impact things?

Well I guess their overall wages are fairly low and they get a sh*t ton on TV money.

The TV money probably makes their low attendance fairly irrelevant. If I'm wrong, someone will quickly correct me.

Chelsea are the absolute bosses of hoarding talent and selling off for huge profits.

Ethically, it's a bit sh*t. But a hell of a cash generator.

Well we didn't do so badly off Chelsea, getting Romeu for £5m and Bertrand for £10m!

Well we didn't do so badly off Chelsea, getting Romeu for £5m and Bertrand for £10m!

And Jack Cork for £2.5m.

We should raid our feeder club more often. Chalobah alongside Romeu would be just the ticket at the base of the midfield.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11743/10931174/jermain-defoe-signs-three-year-deal-at-bournemouth

Cue, the ridiculous " we should have gone for him posts"

A 3 year deal too, he will be 37 at the end...

15 goals in an appalling Sunderland side....Mmm we can just smugly, and conceitedly laugh at that because he's 34, and signing someone with proven pl experience is just not "the Southampton way"...

I genuinely cringe when I hear that "southampton way" ******...

We need some proven experience in our young side...but no money to be made in that is there..?

So yes, he most definitely could have done a job for us...

Edited by vectraman

15 goals in an appalling Sunderland side....Mmm we can just smugly, and conceitedly laught at that because he's 34, and signing someone with proven pl experience is just not "the Southampton way"...

We need some proven experience in our young side...but no money to be made in that is there..?

If you think he's worth £100k plus a week for the next three years, good luck to you.

If you think he's worth £100k plus a week for the next three years, good luck to you.

Report I have read said £65k a week, over 3 years. I don't think that's a bad deal, with no transfer fee involved?

For guaranteed goals, 10 million over three years sounds decent? We've blown 12 million plus wages on Clasie, what's the best deal?

15 goals in an appalling Sunderland side....Mmm we can just smugly, and conceitedly laught at that because he's 34, and signing someone with proven pl experience is just not "the Southampton way"...

I cringe when I read post like this. If our strategy were to tie up old players on big wages with no re-sale value we would be in serious trouble financially.

My thoughts entirely something not quite right down the road at boscombe £20m package for Defoe and £28m package for Ake cant see how FFP comes in to play at those figures

Im reliably told that Ake is costing £10m with multiple add ons.

Defoe is getting £1.5m sign on and 45k a week.

Add those two to Asmir Begović and they've had a decent summer so far (on paper)

Be interesting to see if they can somehow keep hold of there better players.... We all know clubs have to sell to the top 7

Im reliably told that Ake is costing £10m with multiple add ons.

Defoe is getting £1.5m sign on and 45k a week.

Add those two to Asmir Begović and they've had a decent summer so far (on paper)

Be interesting to see if they can somehow keep hold of there better players.... We all know clubs have to sell to the top 7

Making up figures to suit your agenda. Again. Surely not.

I cringe when I read post like this. If our strategy were to tie up old players on big wages with no re-sale value we would be in serious trouble financially.

I thought the strategy of a football team was to win football matches? Last season we couldn't score for toffee, a PROVEN, guaranteed 15 goals a season man is up for grabs, yet saints fans care more about value for money, and future resale value. We have some odd fans. I want to see Saints win, am I just weird then?

I thought the strategy of a football team was to win football matches? Last season we couldn't score for toffee, a PROVEN, guaranteed 15 goals a season man is up for grabs, yet saints fans care more about value for money, and future resale value. We have some odd fans. I want to see Saints win, am I just weird then?

A number of our fans have PTSD from our league 1 visit.

They are also stuck on 2002 income and player values.

Its a small but vocal minority thankfully

Its either the southampton way or Pompey way.... No in-between for some

A number of our fans have PTSD from our league 1 visit.

They are also stuck on 2002 income and player values.

Its a small but vocal minority thankfully

Its either the southampton way or Pompey way.... No in-between for some

The Leslie-ites will preach the gospel of resale value and make you a disciple of the Southampton Way yet, Glasgow. Don't underestimate their missionary zeal.

I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd bet £0.10 that Defoe wont score 15 goals next season.

You do realise we signed a sought-after Italian International striker in January aren't you, one who banged in 6 goals in just 8 appearances? An ageing Defoe is the last person we needed with Austin, Long and Gallagher backing up Manolo.

I'll give Defoe credit though, players with pace normally would have faded by now. He's done well to keep it up as long as he has. A 3 year contract on what I can only imagine is high wages is risky though, he'll be nearly 38 when that contract is up.

A decent short-term fix for Bournemouth especially if they lose King, but Saints were never going to smash their wage structure for an aging ex-Pompey player.

Good business by Bournemouth, when are we going to actually invest rather than just replace players we've sold?

Good business, but I don't see giving an aged defoe a three year deal on £65k pw as investment. Ake is a good signing yes, but bournemouth spent a lot on players last summer and most of them flopped. £15m on Ibe etc..

Good business, but I don't see giving an aged defoe a three year deal on £65k pw as investment. Ake is a good signing yes, but bournemouth spent a lot on players last summer and most of them flopped. £15m on Ibe etc..

Ibe is only 21, not sure you can call him a failure just because he didn't set the Prem alight in his first season. Ake looks like he's going to be an awesome player. If Defoe's goals give them another Prem season then it will be a good investment IMO, plus his experience will be a value to their squad. When Wilson is fit he probably won't start anyway.

Ibe has just turned 21....you wouldn't write off a young player after just 1 season?

Offset by him coming on a free.

If good business is giving a 35 year old striker £65kp/w wages for three years, buying a substitute goalkeeper for £10m who was on £60kp/w at Chelsea so presumably earning a similar amount, and signing a player Chelsea barely used for £20m, then count me out.

Offset by giving him a large signing on fee. Andre Ayew went for 'free' to Swansea but they paid an £8m signing on fee.

I believe that he was on £86,000 a week at Sunderland. So he has taken a drop of £21k a week, which if you extend over 3 years, would be about £3.276m. I think that I heard somewhere, maybe it is my imagination, that there was something like a £3m signing on fee.

I believe that he was on £86,000 a week at Sunderland. So he has taken a drop of £21k a week, which if you extend over 3 years, would be about £3.276m. I think that I heard somewhere, maybe it is my imagination, that there was something like a £3m signing on fee.

A lot if bonuses as well I believe. I think I read if he hits all his bonus targets he can pretty much double his weekly wage.

Is this where we all start to ''Wish we were Bournemouth''?

Just trying to keep on track.

Who would want to be Bournemouth really. They have ground to make up and their reasonably successful season last time out may permit them to do that. We're already there and don't need such acquisitions as they're currently making, why Les even said so just las week.

Sometimes I kind of wish for the old pre massive communication days when we had a couple of months off from football in the summer. Team just came back out in August, hardly changed from that of May. Mostly the same players, same manager, often the same kit etc. Summer was for cricket, tennis and Hengisbury Head.

Edited by Window Cleaner