Jason McCarthy to be sold to Barnsley?

SuperSAINT

200k seems cheap for someone who's done very well on loan, is supposedly wanted by a lot of clubs in League One and the Championship and has had some first team experience with us. Seems weird he's deemed surplus to requirements to me, especially with our emphasis on youth etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go back in for Isgrove too, after his loan spell there. They could build up quite a collection of ex-Saints academy players.

McCarthy is a surprise as he was lauded last season but we've already got Cedric and Pied, and Valery coming through so I guess he's surplus to requirements.

£200k says you're wrong. Destined for a decent career I think, but not the level we're looking for.

He's had 2 brilliant loans , The same couldn't have been said for Jack Stephens before he got his chance ! 200k also sounds a bit low for a player from the best Academy in the land

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3784342/southampton-agree-fee-barnsley-jason-mccarthy/

Good luck to the lad. Has been terrific during his last 2 loan moves.

Very poor decision tbh. Clearly has what it takes and will make it back to the prem barring bad injuries. Poor again with regards to the club and youth players.

Gallagher to follow?

I know. You can't get better than 2 consecutive player of the season awards.

In L2 and L1 where the role of a full back is slightly different to the PL.

Not every player will make PL standard and we will have watched plenty of the player during his loan spells.

In the youth setup here we were converting him into a CB but his loan football as mostly been at right back which is where he wants to play - perhaps we don't see him in that position long term?

Clearly the club does not release players like this on a whim. He will have been watched in his loan spells, and all the technical analysis will have been done.

There is no shame on him, or the club, and hopefully we will have a sell on clause to cover the bases. It's better for him to be playing than stuck in the U23's where he will also block the progress of someone like Valery who, one suspects, the club rate more highly.

Barnsley have a great reputation for developing young players now. It'll be a really attractive move for him - the chance to move up yet another division and also play for a club that will trust him and give him opportunities. I'd be surprised if Saints don't have a sell-on clause.

I liked McCarthy for his attitude and leadership, something which has been very clear in all the games I've seen him play right through from the U18's under Dodd. It's disappointing to lose players with that mentality but clearly the move is made with the current pecking order in mind - we have two senior full-backs ahead of him at right-back and Valery is highly rated as well. At centre-half we have the seniors (lets say there are four of them - VvD, Yoshida, Stephens and a new signing) and at youth level the club love Alfie Jones (who whilst playing many games in defensive midfield this season is a natural centre-half and he has been doing the same as Jack Stephens did while at Swindon in terms of a new position helping him become a better defender).

A bit weird he's leaving when comparatively, we persevered with Isgrove for so long when it was clear he was total **** (yes I know he's now been released but we gave him a couple of extensions during his time here). Obviously McCarthy feels he will be better served moving as well.

Disappointing, would have liked to see him given a chance here to be honest.

I also believe he is a saints fan as well

He is indeed, went to school at Hounsdown.

Good luck to him.