JayRod to West Brom

SO16_Saint

Have heard from a random source who has no reason to tell porkies that it looks like JayRod is off to West Brom imminently

Make of it what you will but he's never going to get back to his best so he can leave with my blessing.

How Random is the source?

Actually not so random moreso the scenario in which it happened i spose.

Been right in the past; kit design, sponsor and signing so who knows!

Ok, cheers. Certainly agree with the others that he's been pretty desperate to move.

I'd wish him well. Actually curious to see if he can get anywhere near his best.

The B'mouth goal was fantastic.

Well he's been a right ungrateful b**tard this past season or so, with a real arrogance / entitlement about him when he just hasnt delivered on the pitch. Saints didnt need to give him a massive pay rise and contract whilst he had a potentially career threatening injury - it would be nice if he (or maybe more so, his familia) could remember that...

It's a shame he hasnt got back to his best, but would be good to get some money in and free up some funds for someone who is currently good!

Not used well under Puel. Id give him a shot under our new manager.

Sell in January if he's not in new managers plans

Agree with this . Still a quality player that could get back on form if he was used properly by a decent manager .

Don't blame him for getting frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Had he never been injured, it's likely he'd be at a bigger club (like Spurs) and a regular for England now, but unfortunately he'll never be the same player he was. We have Gabbiadini as the main striker, and Austin and Long as competition. Whether we rely on Gallagher or bring another striker in as competition remains to be seen, but JRod us the obvious one that's surplus to requirements.

WBA though, jeez. He'd be better off going back to Burnley.

What a shame. On the verge of going to the Brazil World Cup with England to being pretty much career over with one funny landing vs Man City. He's not been anywhere close to what he was. We all wanted it and wanted to believe it when he showed us glimpses. Hope he can get a run at WBA but I expect him to be a regular in their treatment room rather than the team.

Not much service would normally mean get rid of Prowse and Davis and get two decent attacking midfielders in . Right?

Felt sorry for all our strikers this season. They played very isolated all season long with not much service. A point backed up with a poor goal tally of 41 (Our lowest since being back in the top flight)

If true this would indicate to me Puel is staying, I think Jay Rod would stay if he had a different manager, personally I would of sold Long and gone into next season with Austin Gabba Jay Rod with Redmond Tadic Boufal and Sims as the attacking options.

I did not feel we needed to buy any attacking players this summer but if Jay Rod goes I would prefer to have another option who can play wing or striker, as I do like Long but he's only playing if Austin and Gabba is not playing as he only really plays well down the middle.

I think JRod has probably burnt too many bridges within the club and equally the black box has undoubtedly revealed another young, cheap, foreign starlet who we will be attempting to bring in. Let's hope he isn't another Boufal.

Victim of the rotation policy unfortunately for him.

He wasn't a victim of the rotation... he benefitted from it!

Rodriguez was 4th choice striker up against Austin, Gabbiadni & Long for 1 role in the team. If there hadn't been rotation, as 4th choice he'd hardly have played so he can't complain about the rotation.

He wasn't a victim of the rotation... he benefitted from it!

Rodriguez was 4th choice striker up against Austin, Gabbiadni & Long for 1 role in the team. If there hadn't been rotation, as 4th choice he'd hardly have played so he can't complain about the rotation.

Not sure thats true tbh, Austin is never fit, and Long doesn't score goals, so personally I think JRod should have been given a longer spell in the side. When he did play, we did ok...!

Not used well under Puel. Id give him a shot under our new manager.

Sell in January if he's not in new managers plans

No I disagree, given multiple opportunities and rarely taken them. In addition, assuming we want to bring in additional quality which is badly needed still to replace Vic, Pelle and Mane from a year ago, you have to move some people on. Otherwise you end up with a bloated squad which breeds discontented little cliques and unhelpful newspaper articles.....

No I disagree, given multiple opportunities and rarely taken them. In addition, assuming we want to bring in additional quality which is badly needed still to replace Vic, Pelle and Mane from a year ago, you have to move some people on. Otherwise you end up with a bloated squad which breeds discontented little cliques and unhelpful newspaper articles.....

Was never given a run of full games imo which after a long term injury was a must , unfortunate as he's a great guy !

Was never given a run of full games imo which after a long term injury was a must , unfortunate as he's a great guy !

He was given under 900 minutes in the league so played the equivalent of less than 10 league games.

He scored 5 league goals.... Not bad given his mismanagement.

Think he was dropped either immediately or sharpish afyer every goal too.... Go figure

Two trains of thought on this.

1 - I think he's got more to offer than Long and in a better team he could yet do it again. I rarely thought he looked bad last year, just lacking in confidence and decent service.

2 - It's obviously not going for him here and hasn't been for a few years. Maybe he needs a fresh start, like Kevin Davies had at Bolton.

• 10 months later...

J Rod's winner against Man Utd yesterday was his 11th league goal of the season.

In comparison, Austin, our top scorer has scored 8, all our strikers combined (Austin, Gabi, Long, Carillo) have scored... 13.

In hindsight I think he could have been useful this season, was sad to see him go and at the time assumed that it was because we had someone better lined up to come. Maybe he needed the change of scenery, or maybe he just needed an injury free season and a run of games.

J Rod's winner against Man Utd yesterday was his 11th league goal of the season.

In comparison, Austin, our top scorer has scored 8, all our strikers combined (Austin, Gabi, Long, Carillo) have scored... 13.

In hindsight I think he could have been useful this season, was sad to see him go and at the time assumed that it was because we had someone better lined up to come. Maybe he needed the change of scenery, or maybe he just needed an injury free season and a run of games.

*edit - actually Austin's scored 7, although the combined total remains the same.