JayRod to West Brom

SO16_Saint

I think you need to look a level deeper. Jay has been on the pitch all the time, every match, because they have no one else. He has had a lot of opportunities.

He has scored 7 PL goals in 2505 minutes (33 games and 27 starts) of playing. That translates to 1 goal every 357 minutes (or roughly every 4 matches). Our guys have been hurt and/or rotated.

To be fair lets compare our strikers this season:

JRod - 1 goal every 357 minutes

Austin - 1 goal every 101 minutes

Gabbi - 1 goal every 250 minutes

Long - 1 goal every 700 minutes

So you can see that both Austin and Gabbi have been more effective thatn JRod, and if given the same playing chances would likely have a lot more goals (especially Austin).

Long can't score as we know, but does bring other things to the table that JRod doesn't.

So considering his injury, his performance (before and after the trade), and his relationship with the club (sometimes it is just time to move on), I think letting him go was the right thing. I don't think JRod would have added anything to this club.

I think you need to look a level deeper. Jay has been on the pitch all the time, every match, because they have no one else. He has had a lot of opportunities.

He has scored 7 PL goals in 2505 minutes (33 games and 27 starts) of playing. That translates to 1 goal every 357 minutes (or roughly every 4 matches). Our guys have been hurt and/or rotated.

To be fair lets compare our strikers this season:

JRod - 1 goal every 357 minutes

Austin - 1 goal every 101 minutes

Gabbi - 1 goal every 250 minutes

Long - 1 goal every 700 minutes

So you can see that both Austin and Gabbi have been more effective thatn JRod, and if given the same playing chances would likely have a lot more goals (especially Austin).

Long can't score as we know, but does bring other things to the table that JRod doesn't.

So considering his injury, his performance (before and after the trade), and his relationship with the club (sometimes it is just time to move on), I think letting him go was the right thing. I don't think JRod would have added anything to this club.

Your bumboy Austin isnt very useful when he's unavailable for most of the season and we're throwing good wages at him pal. And gabbi's stats are completely skewed by his first few games for us.

Your bumboy Austin isnt very useful when he's unavailable for most of the season and we're throwing good wages at him pal. And gabbi's stats are completely skewed by his first few games for us.

Putting my Austin bias aside, I'd take Gabbi and Austin over Jay any day (post injury). I'd also think hard about Long over Jay too. Sorry if you like him so much, the stats say he's a low-level PL striker at this point. I bet a lot of players could have done the same, or better, this season at WBA.

Putting my Austin bias aside, I'd take Gabbi and Austin over Jay any day (post injury). I'd also think hard about Long over Jay too. Sorry if you like him so much, the stats say he's a low-level PL striker at this point. I bet a lot of players could have done the same, or better, this season at WBA.

I supported the decision to get rid of Jrod, though hoped we would bring in another striker last summer. That we did not and given Austin's absence (totally foreseeable) and Gabbi's form (largely unforeseeable), I am sure he would have brought something to the side. After all, he works harder than Gabbi yet is more clinical than Long. A few additional goals here and there might make all the difference to us staying up or going down.

It was the right decision to allow him to move on and nothing has changed. The fact that he is having an average season at West Brom (I’d be against him getting double figures in the league) doesn’t really scream ‘the one that got away’.

I’d have sold him, Austin and Long in summer and brought in two better (in Austin’s case read ‘fitter’) strikers. We didn’t and now we are where we are. In reality I don’t think any realistic targets we could have signed up front would have done much under MoPe,. So poor has been the football, I reckon Kane would be struggling for goals in this team.

It was the right decision to allow him to move on and nothing has changed. The fact that he is having an average season at West Brom (I’d be against him getting double figures in the league) doesn’t really scream ‘the one that got away’.

I’d have sold him, Austin and Long in summer and brought in two better (in Austin’s case read ‘fitter’) strikers. We didn’t and now we are where we are. In reality I don’t think any realistic targets we could have signed up front would have done much under MoPe,. So poor has been the football, I reckon Kane would be struggling for goals in this team.

No he wouldn't he has already claimed both our goals on Saturday

Or maybe St Alex a better manager. I was sad to see him go after the long recovery. Our loss and all that, another clanger dropped.

That wasn't an application to be a manager, it was (an albeit an inaccurate) observation on a football forum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

Just saying with the benefit of hindsight, he's had a decent season, we've struggled for goals and have a series of out of form strikers, would have made signing Carillo unnecessary. Obviously hindsight isn't something a manager has.

Never thought we gave him a fair chance to find his form again after injury. It took him a whole year to settle in when he arrived. During their first years with us, Ramirez had a better scoring record for us than JRod, but over time and given games, JRod became more effective.

Never thought we gave him a fair chance to find his form again after injury. It took him a whole year to settle in when he arrived. During their first years with us, Ramirez had a better scoring record for us than JRod, but over time and given games, JRod became more effective.

He had a long time off with his injury and it takes a long time to recover your pace and confidence after that.

I wish him well.