Puel Sacked - Official

The9

Cheers Claude. Just not right for us, and too much of a risk to go again with him for next season. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tuchel is top target, nor if we manage to get him. Let's hope this doesn't drag on too long

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As many of who are aware, I still would have preferred to keep Puel. However, if the club have someone else better lined up, then it's a decision I will support.

I think there's only one person who would fit that criteria, and that's Thomas Tuchel.

Pellegrini, Sherwood, whoever else available would be a backwards step.

Good luck to Claude, he's had a raw deal here from the board and the fans.

Always felt if he had the time he was here for the long term and stability and now we start all over again.

8th and a cup final with a toothless frontline up till January and a make do centre back pairing.

Can understand him going, just didn't fit and settle for one reason or another, he was a dead man walking and we need a fresh start.

Think he got a very unfair deal from the club, not well backed in the transfer market, plus he was unlucky with injuries to key players.

Don't think the fans gave hima fair crack at all and some of the reactions, booing etc was well over the top, stupidly, over-entitled and unrealistic morons.

Nice high bar for the new chap to aim for, lets see how he gets on.

Sad for Puel, was a long term appointment and 8th and a cup final is far from a disaster despite some poor home performances. If it had to happen then it's good to get it done. However we are gambling and the downsides are significant. Life gets much worse than this as a Saints fan.

Finally the club have shown, along with most others, that loyalty is a thing of the past so we should not bleat if a manager or player does well and wants to break their contract and leave early. It cuts both ways.....

This.

PR machine picks its words carefully...'search for new Management Team' more than suggests Black is out too. I hope they are doing this in the proper order and have lined up Tuchel to take over an empty desk tomorrow.

Message is clear - Southampton have ambition, we need to play with panache as well as being seen to be moving forward.

We will never know if Puel would have learned from his first season...took Ferguson a bad first season at United before he got it right...

Les Reed must take some responsibility for a failed hire...and that will hopefully put even more pressure to break the bank to get a high profile manager like Tuchel.

Can understand him going, just didn't fit and settle for one reason or another, he was a dead man walking and we need a fresh start.

Think he got a very unfair deal from the club, not well backed in the transfer market, plus he was unlucky with injuries to key players.

Don't think the fans gave hima fair crack at all and some of the reactions, booing etc was well over the top, stupidly, over-entitled and unrealistic morons.

Nice high bar for the new chap to aim for, lets see how he gets on.

How can you say he wasn't backed in the transfer market? Gabbi, Boufal and Hojbjerg were all talented players he has failed to manage correctly.

In two minds here -

half of me says - 8th in Prem, Cup Final, Unforgettable trip to Milan - I'd give him another chance as he can't be so negative next season

the other half says - 8th in Prem, Cup Final, Unforgettable trip to Milan, but some of the most negative and dullest football I've seen since the halcyon days of Branfoot - glad to see him go.

Hope we bring in someone creative

The writing was on the wall as early as last Autumn for us seasoned observers, as the dreary die was cast.

Get Tuchel and a long hot a summer beckons, topped off by endless taunting of gobsmacked Scouse and Arse workmates. Then the excitement of the new season.

This.

PR machine picks its words carefully...'search for new Management Team' more than suggests Black is out too. I hope they are doing this in the proper order and have lined up Tuchel to take over an empty desk tomorrow.

Message is clear - Southampton have ambition, we need to play with panache as well as being seen to be moving forward.

We will never know if Puel would have learned from his first season...took Ferguson a bad first season at United before he got it right...

Les Reed must take some responsibility for a failed hire...and that will hopefully put even more pressure to break the bank to get a high profile manager like Tuchel.

I think in time Puel will go on to prove himself. He'll go back to France probably, regain his reputation. Perhaps he'll then end up at a Champions League team, someone like Anderlecht or Basel perhaps. I will wish him well in his future endeavours.

Eric Black can go though.

In two minds here -

half of me says - 8th in Prem, Cup Final, Unforgettable trip to Milan - I'd give him another chance as he can't be so negative next season

the other half says - 8th in Prem, Cup Final, Unforgettable trip to Milan, but some of the most negative and dullest football I've seen since the halcyon days of Branfoot - glad to see him go.

Hope we bring in someone creative

But Puel didn't give you that Unforgettable trip to Milan. Koeman did....

I think in time Puel will go on to prove himself. He'll go back to France probably, regain his reputation. Perhaps he'll then end up at a Champions League team, someone like Anderlecht or Basel perhaps. I will wish him well in his future endeavours.

Eric Black can go though.

Agree with this, he will go on to have a very decent career somewhere else and in a league that is more suited to his style of play.

Who replaced Wanyama? Who replaced Fonte? Boufal as a replacement for Mane?

Arguably Stephens is now performing better than Fonte prior to his sale. I'll give you that we didn't replace Wanyama but who on earth were you expecting to replace Mane? Boufal, on paper and given his form with Lille, was probably as close as we were going to get! Hasn't worked out but I don't think you can say that breaking our transfer record for a highly rated young player wasn't supporting the manager!!

Thank god, should never have been appointed.

Whilst I am not crying he has gone - I have to take exception to this, there is a fairly clear blueprint and remit to this role and from what I can see he matched the criteria.

The football was turgid at times, but he has lost his job, based on our strikers finishing.

I know it's a very minor thing, but it would be nice to have a manager who can speak good English. Always more interesting I feel to listen to a press conference or interview where it's not the same basic answers and broken English. Just a small thing but I do think it helps build a connection with the fans as well.

I know it's a very minor thing, but it would be nice to have a manager who can speak good English. Always more interesting I feel to listen to a press conference or interview where it's not the same basic answers and broken English. Just a small thing but I do think it helps build a connection with the fans as well.

Either that or make better use of the translator. I felt I had a greater understanding of Poch through a translator than Puel (although credit where it's due for making the effort to try).

Whilst I consider this to be a harsh decision, all things considered, it does however 'feel' right given that he'd obviously lost the support of a significant proportion of the fanbase and, if the rumours are true, some of the dressing room too.

Best of luck in your future endeavours Claude, and thanks for some memorable highlights last season.

Merci. Bon soir

This, sometimes it just doesn't work out. I still believe he did OK with the hand he was dealt and wish him all the best for the future. Time for the players to step up to the plate now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Inevitable, nice enough guy, but dull as dishwater and the team played in that style. If there's ever proof that a team conveys a mangers 'personality', then just watch us last year. Hopefully I can now listen to our post and pre-match interviews again, just couldn't bring myself to last season. But you've just got to wonder what's taken so long - big decision for the club to make and I just get the feeling that they were waiting until they knew he'd be replaced with 'better' before firing the bullet.

The next week or so should be interesting...

Feel sorry for CP in so far as he's had a poor hand to deal with, poor striking options for most of the season, injuries to VVD, and the CB fiasco for half a season (mostly down to Les). Against that backdrop an 8th place finish and a Cup Final are a respectable achievement, but the style of play and form over the last couple of months of the season were dreadful.

No doubt the right decision, PROVIDING we make the most of it with the right appointment.

One of CP's flaws was not getting a message across and inspiring confidence. Hope the message has been learnt.

I'm not surprised. Saints certainly let it drag on for too long, in my opinion. I feel bad for the fellow but he probably earned more money for slightly less than a year's work than I will earn in my lifetime, so I don't feel that bad.

Anyway, thanks for the League Cup run. Best of luck and all that.

I just hope that the club have a decent replacement lined up.

Either that or make better use of the translator. I felt I had a greater understanding of Poch through a translator than Puel (although credit where it's due for making the effort to try).

It wasn't his fault, it just feels less authentic when there's someone else translating or when the manager is speaking in faltering English. When you compare it to koeman who was cracking jokes and being sarcastic it does give a sense of their personality more which was definitely missing a bit this year. Would be interesting to know if the players felt a similar way though I guess that didn't phase them with Pochettino.

I'm glad he's gone , But I can see no good reason for it to have had to drag on this long!

Only good reason is that we've been waiting to be in a position to make an almost immediate appointment ourselves.....otherwise the delay seems pointless to what was primarily a pretty easy decision.

Arguably Stephens is now performing better than Fonte prior to his sale. I'll give you that we didn't replace Wanyama but who on earth were you expecting to replace Mane? Boufal, on paper and given his form with Lille, was probably as close as we were going to get! Hasn't worked out but I don't think you can say that breaking our transfer record for a highly rated young player wasn't supporting the manager!!
Good, glad I could jog your memory and we agree.

Puel was not a Bad Manager , He was Unlucky a lot last season but still produced one of the better seasons for us. I always felt he was giving of his best for us but he did seem to rub up some of the players in the wrong way and i think some of them should take a long look at themselves. I would just say thanks & Good Luck in the future Claude. Lets hope uncle Les gets the right manager in quickly and backs him to bring in 2 0r 3 great signings for next season.

I wish Claude all the best, 8th place and a cup final at Wembley represented a very good season in my opinion. That day at Wembley will always be special. The style of play at times was not great and some of the decisions regarding dropping players after scorng/playing well was baffling. But all in all thank you Claude, hope you get a decent job back in France. Now onto the new man, will be interesting to see - Tuchel, yes please! maybe LVG or Enrique?

Edited by davefizzy14

Alex Crook is suggesting that us announcing it at 10pm is an attempt to stuff the media

Would have thought he'd be doing a chest thumping piece about how he "revealed " this first.

The 10pm announcements were a Cortese strategy, not sure why we'd want to do it now. Would have thought we'd release it c 10Am. Perhaps the club have been told The Potters Heron have had a cancellation and can fit in an impromptu press conference tomorrow, and TT has got his flight tickets...