Puel Sacked - Official

The9

Probably the right decision in the end. Feel a bit sorry for him, poor summer transfer window, injuries to key players, had to play half a season without a striker who could score regularly then the other half with one of the worst centre back parings in the league. He may not have been the right fit for us but some of our pot bellied, dinlow fans wanted him out since the end of August because he didn't crack jokes in the media. The whole thing about him being boring is pathetic, I'd rather have someone like Puel than a slimy cockroach like Klopp playing up to his wacky character image he likes to portray. Whoever our new manager is he better make sure he's got a book on one liners to keep our knob head fan base LOLing.

This forum really needs a "like" function for posts like this.

I'm not much of a Twitterer but I was interested to see how the players reacted to Puel's sacking. Found this from Romeu. As classy as ever:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OriolRomeu/status/875274486521757696

Im sure like the fans he had some support. If the dislike was universal he'd have left months ago.

Problem for Puel it was something like 70/30 in the end (fans) and players were potentially 50/50

So today Ranieri at Nantes and Oscar Garcia at St Etienne. Can't see any worthwhile job available for Puel in France just now.

Good job he got the Saint's pay off eh ! Wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else in England though, team that puts winning above amusing the public perhaps.

So today Ranieri at Nantes and Oscar Garcia at St Etienne. Can't see any worthwhile job available for Puel in France just now.

Good job he got the Saint's pay off eh ! Wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else in England though, team that puts winning above amusing the public perhaps.

Puts above winning at home and away?

This forum really needs a "like" function for posts like this.

Yeah Agreed.And those same fans who wanted him out are the same ones that bemoan the fact 'There's no loyalty in football anymore ..years ago when I watched us at The Dell...blah..blah..blah'

Just watched the interview with Matt Le Tissier.

It seems like the club were prepared to give him another season IF he could change the style and be a bit more attack-minded. If so he would probably still be in charge. But clearly he didn't see anything wrong with how we played during the course of the season.

With that in mind I'm baffled that there still a few in here that wanted him to stay.

Indeed. Puel's out for summer, Puel's out forever.

As many others have said I wish him well but am mightily relieved he's gone. Just hope the delay is down to us now having all but secured his successor rather than having failed to do so but concluded we can't hang the bloke out to dry any longer.

Very good.

Should have started that in one of the last matches at St Mary's

Puel is the scapegoat. Reed is responsible with last summers awful transfer activity. Puel did OK with what he had at his disposal.

A new manager will achieve no better, or a lot worse, if we have another summer like the last

100% agree.

Stupid, but sadly expected decision.

The club and most of our fans are so far removed from reality its unbelievable. We are becoming a laughing stock.

This is nothing other than the board making a scapegoat of Puel to mask the fact they sold 2 top international strikers and and international defender. Add in the fact that we lost our best player for almost half the season, and that we had to play over 50 games with a small squad and it´s a miracle that we did as well as we did.

The stupidity of selling Mane and Pelle and then blaming the manager when we do not score many goals is mind boggling.

100% agree with this as well. In fact this summer, as in previous summers, we will see a ponderous, indecisive and ineffective transfer window. Excuses by the board and Saints heading for relegation.

It seems like the club were prepared to give him another season IF he could change the style and be a bit more attack-minded. If so he would probably still be in charge. But clearly he didn't see anything wrong with how we played during the course of the season.

With that in mind I'm baffled that there still a few in here that wanted him to stay.

Perhaps it was the players that needed to change /adapt. I expect he was used to playing with better players in France if the recent International is anything to go by.

From the comments by JWP and Romeu it seems he hadn't completely lost the dressing room.

I wonder will there now be a surge in season ticket sales, as those who didn't renew unless Puel was sacked, buy their seat. My mate renewed his this morning. I did mine before the deadline as I was convinced he was a goner.

I'm getting confused now. According to popular myth on here Claude was Reeds yes man, no backbone. Yet when offered the chance to "change his style" & keep his job, told Reed to stuff it. Some yes man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder will there now be a surge in season ticket sales, as those who didn't renew unless Puel was sacked, buy their seat. My mate renewed his this morning. I did mine before the deadline as I was convinced he was a goner.

Oh fan power is so so strong. Well done you guys

If you were a true saints fan what difference does a manager make? I support the team not any one individual.

Remained dignified and classy throughout the ridiculous abuse he got from some of the fans. One would have thought we were getting beat by more than 3 goals every game and facing relegation all season.

Be careful what you wish for. Some fans think just because we've seen the back of Puel, that we will definitely get Tuchel or whoever the flavour of the month is.

Thanks for wembley Puel & all the best!

Yes indeed. I'm old enough to remember the Nicholl -> Br*nf**t debacle.

It will be easy in hindsight but I'm nailing my colours to the mast. This is a bad move.

Me too. Then again, I was also against the Pardew and Adkins sackings, and thought Leicester were mad to sack Pearson after he turned it around for them. So what do I know?

I'm getting confused now. According to popular myth on here Claude was Reeds yes man, no backbone. Yet when offered the chance to "change his style" & keep his job, told Reed to stuff it. Some yes man.

Since when have the French ever done anything the English said???

If true, he has gone up in my estimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but Les has such a track record of hiring spineless, weak willed doormats who would say boo to a goose. Shrinking violets like Alan Pardew, Ronald Koeman, Pochettino and Nigel Adkins. Sopping wet blankets the lot of them.

Les Reed has never, ever signed any manager prepared to stand up for themselves and he ain't going to start this summer.

He wasn't taken on because he was a nice person. As a football manager he unsuccessfully, fundamentally changed the way the team played, unsettled some players and made the team worse than the sum of the parts. His job was to do the opposite.

I will remember the EFL Cup SF and Final as highlights but the other cup games were dross, the Euro campaign was a failure, the home league performances were dire and a total of 46 points was abysmal barely above the safety line of 40 points. Some players performed well in matches, won us games and were dropped for the favourites who then usually failed to perform, get a result or even score.

I won't miss Claude Puel at all as our manager. It is up to the club to learn the lessons from and get in a manager in that provides the football style that suits the players we have and gets back to the team performance exceeding the sum of the parts again. Adkins, Poch and Koeman all to a lesser or greater degree provided this, Puel did not.

Spot on.

Would anyone like some Schitt?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spv4rm

It's rather long, and covers a few different issues but most of it provides more details on Puel. Not sure how much of it is new after the info provided by Wilson and Le Tissier. I'll leave it to others to debate his ITK-worthiness. He mentions a few interesting other names re managerial candidates.

Summary: Puel was on a hiding into nothing from day one because of lack of stature and poor communication skills. As Le Tissier noted yesterday, the board were open to keeping him but in the end of season review he could not see that there were any problems with the team's playing style, so they decided to pull the trigger.

J-Rod really wants to leave, VVD will only go for circa £75 million, and Bertrand has been professional, has not thrown his toys out of the pram, but was upset with the Europa debacle and is looking to leave for the right opportunity but still likes the club and could still stay.

It's rather long, and covers a few different issues but most of it provides more details on Puel. Not sure how much of it is new after the info provided by Wilson and Le Tissier. I'll leave it to others to debate his ITK-worthiness. He mentions a few interesting other names re managerial candidates.

Summary: Puel was on a hiding into nothing from day one because of lack of stature and poor communication skills. As Le Tissier noted yesterday, the board were open to keeping him but in the end of season review he could not see that there were any problems with the team's playing style, so they decided to pull the trigger.

J-Rod really wants to leave, VVD will only go for circa £75 million, and Bertrand has been professional, has not thrown his toys out of the pram, but was upset with the Europa debacle and is looking to leave for the right opportunity but still likes the club and could still stay.

Have had a quick skim read through and, no, there is nothing new in there. Just the usual well crafted extrapolations and reading-between-the-lines of what we already knew or could easily deduce.

Have had a quick skim read through and, no, there is nothing new in there. Just the usual well crafted extrapolations and reading-between-the-lines of what we already knew or could easily deduce.

I liked the "now I am going to list some German managers I have heard of" bit.

Thorough.

Jesus, all he does is re-word what everyone knows. I could write what he did if i wanted to, just read a lot of online stuff and put it together to try to sound ITK.

He even waits until the news has broke before he speaks, yeah proper in the know.

He wasn't taken on because he was a nice person. As a football manager he unsuccessfully, fundamentally changed the way the team played, unsettled some players and made the team worse than the sum of the parts. His job was to do the opposite.

I will remember the EFL Cup SF and Final as highlights but the other cup games were dross, the Euro campaign was a failure, the home league performances were dire and a total of 46 points was abysmal barely above the safety line of 40 points. Some players performed well in matches, won us games and were dropped for the favourites who then usually failed to perform, get a result or even score.

I won't miss Claude Puel at all as our manager. It is up to the club to learn the lessons from and get in a manager in that provides the football style that suits the players we have and gets back to the team performance exceeding the sum of the parts again. Adkins, Poch and Koeman all to a lesser or greater degree provided this, Puel did not.

If you were a true saints fan what difference does a manager make? I support the team not any one individual.

The above is my answer, the club obviously agreed or they wouldn't have wanted him to change the way the team played and his refusal sealed his fate. It is not up to any manager how the team plays, it is up to the club to lay down their requirements and the manager delivers them. Puel was dogmatic and his way of playing didn't suit the players and barely achieved enough points. It was his second choice players that hauled our nuts out of the fire with victories that resulted in them being dropped. Eg Rodriguez v Bournemouth, Clasie v WBA.

Edited by derry

The above is my answer, the club obviously agreed or they wouldn't have wanted him to change the way the team played and his refusal sealed his fate. It is not up to any manager how the team plays, it is up to the club to lay down their requirements and the manager delivered them. Puel was dogmatic and his way of playing didn't suit the players and barely achieved enough points. It was his second choice players that hauled our nuts out of the fire with victories that resulted in them being dropped. Eg Rodriguez v Bournemouth, Clasie v WBA.

That didn't happen.

So Rodriquez wasn't dropped after the Bournemouth game then?

Hojbjerg played against Bournemouth, WBA and Middlesbrough and was dropped next game, Rodriguez scored against Middlesbrough and was dropped next game. After his display against Bournemouth Rodriguez deserved better than to be judged against Spurs in the 1-4 hammering and deserved a run. Not as if we were getting loads of goals. Puel was a poor manager and deserved the sack.

Jesus, all he does is re-word what everyone knows. I could write what he did if i wanted to, just read a lot of online stuff and put it together to try to sound ITK.

He even waits until the news has broke before he speaks, yeah proper in the know.

Indeed.

It would be very easy for a genuine ITK to prove they are ITK, even if they've been told not to go public before the event occurs .... simply, before a specific event that they're aware of is about to happen, write the details in a document and password protect it.... then post it online... wait for said event to unfold..... then post the password to unlock the document.... voila.... instant ITK hall of fame status.

There again, maybe I'm thinking too hard about all this ITK malarkey (just for a change)!

Hojbjerg played against Bournemouth, WBA and Middlesbrough and was dropped next game, Rodriguez scored against Middlesbrough and was dropped next game. After his display against Bournemouth Rodriguez deserved better than to be judged against Spurs in the 1-4 hammering and deserved a run. Not as if we were getting loads of goals. Puel was a poor manager and deserved the sack.

Spot on - how does a player get motivated if he does what is asked then get dropped - not 1 minute in 4 games....replaced by players that can't hit a cows arse.

Indeed.

It would be very easy for a genuine ITK to prove they are ITK, even if they've been told not to go public before the event occurs .... simply, before a specific event that they're aware of is about to happen, write the details in a document and password protect it.... then post it online... wait for said event to unfold..... then post the password to unlock the document.... voila.... instant ITK hall of fame status.

A true ITK wouldn't care that much about that status though, would they? The realness/credibility of ITK-status is much more interesting for us others than for the ITK themselves. You either want to share information or you don't, and it's up to the rest of us to believe it or not.