Puel Sacked - Official

The9

Good luck Claude. Decent man. Not given the tools to play the way he set out to play really but you can only work with the tools you have. When Les said he thought we had the best midfield options in the league, the fella was always on a hiding to nothing.

Anyway, we can only hope that the 'looking for a new coach' corporate message is similar to the takeover where it is actually probably imminent and the deal is all but sewn up.

Stupid, but sadly expected decision.

The club and most of our fans are so far removed from reality its unbelievable. We are becoming a laughing stock.

This is nothing other than the board making a scapegoat of Puel to mask the fact they sold 2 top international strikers and and international defender. Add in the fact that we lost our best player for almost half the season, and that we had to play over 50 games with a small squad and it´s a miracle that we did as well as we did.

The stupidity of selling Mane and Pelle and then blaming the manager when we do not score many goals is mind boggling.

Best wishes Claude

A decent man who did a decent job in the circumstances he found himself in.

Lets hope the new man gets some time and support from both the club and the fans.

Agree, he was let down by the board, his goalscorers and his tv interviews

Agree, he was let down by the board, his goalscorers and his tv interviews

His interviews were poor, he should have taken a lead from Poch and worked with an interpreter. It was difficult to understand his message and he could never endear himself with the fans because of this.

His interviews were poor, he should have taken a lead from Poch and worked with an interpreter. It was difficult to understand his message and he could never endear himself with the fans because of this.

Yep, but he was just learning the language, he was getting better. If you look at the interviews at the start of the season compared to towards the end he was improving.

I think the writing was on the wall with that backroom staff he hired. Didn't Pascal Plancque come with some reputation from France? And of course Black with the rumours starting straight away that the players didn't like him? Then there was the 'scandal' ... so I presume they've gone as well.

List of Bundesliga managers: https://www.transfermarkt.com/1-bundesliga/trainervergleich/wettbewerb/L1

Maybe we have looked at Hassenhuttl at RB and hopefully Nagglesmann (but he just signed a new contract) or Pal Dardai who i mentioned about a month ago and is a Hertha legend.

Can confirm after a long chat with a german mate he confirms Tuchel will be best for the sort of style we want to play v other options in the german league, lets see if this is a massive mis-direction and les pulls a random rabbit out of the hat.

It will be easy in hindsight but I'm nailing my colours to the mast. This is a bad move.

It probably is yes. I sometimes think that the "board" and a fair old percentage of the fans are totally deluded over the quality of our squad. We've spent a fair old bit on total non entities these last times.

Can confirm after a long chat with a german mate he confirms Tuchel will be best for the sort of style we want to play v other options in the german league, lets see if this is a massive mis-direction and les pulls a random rabbit out of the hat.

Do we know what sort of style we want to play? We are told the club wants to play the "Southampton way" and we buy players to fit the system so a change of manager doesn't need a massive change in the squad.

Yet we've had four managers in the PL and arguably they all did things differently so what is the style the club wants?

The club and most of our fans are so far removed from reality its unbelievable. We are becoming a laughing stock.

This is nothing other than the board making a scapegoat of Puel to mask the fact they sold 2 top international strikers and and international defender. Add in the fact that we lost our best player for almost half the season, and that we had to play over 50 games with a small squad and it´s a miracle that we did as well as we did.

The stupidity of selling Mane and Pelle and then blaming the manager when we do not score many goals is mind boggling.

Playing one up front and the midfield 30 yards behind did not help with scoring goals either. That WAS the manager's fault. He was too inflexible in his approach. A bad workman blames his tools.

The squad is decent, and I think the majority of Saints fans knew we should have had more points last season with the squad we have.

Do we know what sort of style we want to play? We are told the club wants to play the "Southampton way" and we buy players to fit the system so a change of manager doesn't need a massive change in the squad.

Yet we've had four managers in the PL and arguably they all did things differently so what is the style the club wants?

Described the way we played under Poch as the way we wanted to play to my mate as that is the style I think everyone on here including Alps enjoyed watching

Some of you need to wipe the tears from your eyes.

It's not about finishing 8th in the league or having a great day at wembley, great achievements.

It's all about enjoying watching them play, beating the big boys occasionally, seeing the ball in the opponent's end rather than endlessly being squared across the back four and that final killer ball back to our goalkeeper. It's about not having to watch constant rotation and weakened teams being selected for must win games. It's about seeing demotivated players become a former shadow of themselves. It's about fans eventually giving up in their droves watching the most negative football since Branfoot decided to sideline LeTissier.

Right decision in my opinion. His record, in terms or performance and results speaks for itself. It's hasn't been at the level the fans had come to expect and we should be pleased that the board aren't satisfied with mid-table mediocrity either. WE do have some good players, which may be why we ended up the best of the rest, but it must be questioned whether the team delivered all that they are capable of. Black and Plancque didn't strike me as strong appointments, and seemed to me to be here to compensate for the language difficulty more than for their coaching abilities. I'd agree with the assessment of Claude as a 'nice bloke', but that's not necessarily a management qualification in football.

This is only half of the decision. Obviously, this change is being made because the board want to move the club forwards, which should be what the fans want, but we will only see the full picture when the new manager is appointed.

Described the way we played under Poch as the way we wanted to play to my mate as that is the style I think everyone on here including Alps enjoyed watching

But Pochettino is an exceptional coach and he had what was probably one of the best sides that we've ever had apart from a kickass striker that is. If we'd had say Harry Kane at time I'm sure that we could have finished on the heels of the top 4. Could have even been different had JRod stayed upright.

Playing one up front and the midfield 30 yards behind did not help with scoring goals either. That WAS the manager's fault. He was too inflexible in his approach. A bad workman blames his tools.

The squad is decent, and I think the majority of Saints fans knew we should have had more points last season with the squad we have.

The squad is far from decent style of play may have helped get a few more points but then so would players taking the chances we did create.

Our central midfield is poor, two of strikers are crap and one is average, our keeper is poor, we have one proper holding/DM in the whole squad. Our creative players are far from consistent enough. Basically the best part of our squad is the defence and it remains to be seen if that if flogged off this summer.

A new manager may well squeeze a little bit more out this squad with a change of style and some luck with injuries but it is way off being a particularly good side since last summers sales and poor replacements. Let's hope for a better recruitment this summer.

No, we are not removed from reality. We just want to be entertained. If we are in a stupid competition that we have pretty much zero chance of winning, what else other is there to expect? Entertainment. I went to every home game last season (save for the FA cup loss to Arsenal) and I think the most enjoyable game was the U23 victory against United.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I can't agree with you. We started off the season with some diabolical diamond formation that the players could get used to, or maybe was badly thought out in the first place. And it is somewhat inconvenient to your argument that we actually got more points per game without VVD than when he was playing.

Mané was a loss, but I do find it strange that people now see Pelle as being some world class striker that we should have kept. I liked him, but I do remember a lot of flack coming his way. And this season, he has managed to score 1 goal in 10 games - and that's in a league where someone of the skill you seem to attribute him, should be almost a goal a game.

But Pochettino is an exceptional coach and he had what was probably one of the best sides that we've ever had apart from a kickass striker that is. If we'd had say Harry Kane at time I'm sure that we could have finished on the heels of the top 4. Could have even been different had JRod stayed upright.

I think you are missing the point of my response, we employed Poch as obviously we wanted to play like his team before he got sacked at Espyanol hence employed him.

Remember Poch was a bit of a laughing stock amongst the media when we employed him as a nobody and on here but now he is exceptional !!

Good companies find undervalued people who fit our style (be it managers or players) and give them the environment to be excellent, its not just down to a player or a manager or a club, its down to to the environment for all 3 to be successful.

Look at how much money west ham end up spending most summers.

Heard the news last night on Radio 5 when it broke whilst driving home. Whilst no surprise, hearing the words Sacked and Southampton in the same sentance was a bit surreal.

Bit of a shame for Claude, no doubt the pay off sweetens the blow. But when you persist with the same approach to games week in week out with the same predictability and a similar outcome week after week and Plan B is just Plan A 0.01 then things ain't going happen moving forwards. Just thinking back to Koeman when we had a stinking mid winter run he changed the formation and stopped the rot. Obviously losing the confidence of the players, if true, doesn't help either and by various reports that happened very early on in the season. With hindsight Sparta away sticks out, we could had got something there Puel was standing on the touch line screaming at the players to pass to Sam McQueen who was in a good position to get us up the pitch, but the ball just kept going right, Claude was going mad everytime it did: looking back was that player power in action. (If it was then that was pretty poor show by the players for the fans who had forked out, at least Leicester when playing their games to oust Ranieri gave the travelling Foxes fans value for money in Europe).

As our strap line says - We March On.......... Let's hope we do.

Koeman had Pelle to lump the ball up to and play off that, we lost him and Mane who had electric pace. Koeman has another big lump up front at Everton and so his way works there.

The fans blamed the manager but it was the lack of a goalscorer who didnt put away the gilt edged chances we created.

I dont believe we played scintillating football under Koeman but what did happen that Pelle Mane or Long did score and that glossed over some of the boring stuff we served up. Score a goal and all looks rosy, Puel was left with nobody with that ability.

that the board aren't satisfied with mid-table mediocrity either.

well is that is the case they should have stopped selling our gems under our mangers noses. We will see what transpires now our players are on long contracts but I wouldnt hold your breath

He wasn't taken on because he was a nice person. As a football manager he unsuccessfully, fundamentally changed the way the team played, unsettled some players and made the team worse than the sum of the parts. His job was to do the opposite.

I will remember the EFL Cup SF and Final as highlights but the other cup games were dross, the Euro campaign was a failure, the home league performances were dire and a total of 46 points was abysmal barely above the safety line of 40 points. Some players performed well in matches, won us games and were dropped for the favourites who then usually failed to perform, get a result or even score.

I won't miss Claude Puel at all as our manager. It is up to the club to learn the lessons from and get in a manager in that provides the football style that suits the players we have and gets back to the team performance exceeding the sum of the parts again. Adkins, Poch and Koeman all to a lesser or greater degree provided this, Puel did not.

No surprise that he was fired - but I'm not sure I trust the Board to get a better replacement in. The squad last season reminded me of our times under Strachan - quantity over quality. The Board screwed up by not getting a real striker in last summer and the likes of Long and Rodriguez should be hanging their heads in shame - to say they were awful all season would be an understatement.

There were glimpses under Puel of what may have been - but unfortunately they were only glimpses. The home games were as dull as dishwater in the main but the away games were much better.

I feel very sorry for Claude and believe he should have been given another season - all this chopping and changing will come back to haunt us eventually. Also, what viable candidates are there out there?

Tuchel is not coming and I am struggling to see who else might be a good fit.

And yet Poch was pilloried on here for not speaking English. Can't win on this board.

Lets hope the new man gets some time and support from both the club and the fans.

:lol: The trolls and deficients on here will be moaning from the minute he gets unveiled and then ramp it up when we don't play the way they want and then further when we get scored on and/or lose.

Waiting this long to sack him and now our supposed first choice apparently ruling himself out makes us look amateur's !

Who knows if Tuchel was really our first choice. I thought that the only real ITKs here were hinting at a German but other than Tuchel. As far as I can understand Tuchel was sacked by Dortmund for being a bit of a knob on a semi-permanent basis. Don't know if that would make him a top of the list candidate for us really.

Probably the right decision in the end. Feel a bit sorry for him, poor summer transfer window, injuries to key players, had to play half a season without a striker who could score regularly then the other half with one of the worst centre back parings in the league. He may not have been the right fit for us but some of our pot bellied, dinlow fans wanted him out since the end of August because he didn't crack jokes in the media. The whole thing about him being boring is pathetic, I'd rather have someone like Puel than a slimy cockroach like Klopp playing up to his wacky character image he likes to portray. Whoever our new manager is he better make sure he's got a book on one liners to keep our knob head fan base LOLing.

Thank you Turkish. A little ray of reason amongst a lot of crap.

Waiting this long to sack him and now our supposed first choice apparently ruling himself out makes us look amateur's !

Who said he is/was our first choice? I'd be shocked if we didn't sound him out, given he's out of work and we need a manager.

Probably the right decision in the end. Feel a bit sorry for him, poor summer transfer window, injuries to key players, had to play half a season without a striker who could score regularly then the other half with one of the worst centre back parings in the league. He may not have been the right fit for us but some of our pot bellied, dinlow fans wanted him out since the end of August because he didn't crack jokes in the media. The whole thing about him being boring is pathetic, I'd rather have someone like Puel than a slimy cockroach like Klopp playing up to his wacky character image he likes to portray. Whoever our new manager is he better make sure he's got a book on one liners to keep our knob head fan base LOLing.
Here here