Flammable Cladding and Exploding Fridges

Guided Missile

"Dozens of residents of Grenfell Tower suffered electricity power surges so strong their appliances malfunctioned, overheated and emitted smoke a few years before the fire, it has emerged"

"Some say electricity problems persisted into the months before June's fire."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40632705

Hmm. I'm a long way from being an expert on this stuff, but I do wonder whether anyone's looked at the electrical substations around Grenfell. I don't live so far away, and had some electrical fitters bolt out the door after coming to fit an appliance and 'socket and see' testing...something or other (earth loop impedence?). Whatever it was, they said the problem was in surges from the local substation - a problem they encounter frequently in London - and that the National Grid was 'uninterested' in addressing the issue.

So the problem may not be with the appliance....possibly.

Hmm. I'm a long way from being an expert on this stuff, but I do wonder whether anyone's looked at the electrical substations around Grenfell. I don't live so far away, and had some electrical fitters bolt out the door after coming to fit an appliance and 'socket and see' testing...something or other (earth loop impedence?). Whatever it was, they said the problem was in surges from the local substation - a problem they encounter frequently in London - and that the National Grid was 'uninterested' in addressing the issue.

So the problem may not be with the appliance....possibly.

Local substation is probably a matter for the distribution company rather than the National Grid.

Not that it matters, but I'm feeling pedantic.

So the Kensington and Chelsea’s housing committee " may" have been guilty of manslaughter. Wonder what John McDonnell thinks, he claims it was a case of " social murder". Who was on that committee until 2014, oh yes. The labour MP Emma Dent Coad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Kensington and Chelsea’s housing committee " may" have been guilty of manslaughter. Wonder what John McDonnell thinks, he claims it was a case of " social murder". Who was on that committee until 2014, oh yes. The labour MP Emma Dent Coad.

She was 1 of 2 Labour members on a committee with 9 Tories and 1 LD. Both Chairmen, and the vice-chair, were Tories. I wonder how the voting panned out whenever it was requested.

She was 1 of 2 Labour members on a committee with 9 Tories and 1 LD. Both Chairmen, and the vice-chair, were Tories. I wonder how the voting panned out whenever it was requested.

I believe she was on the sub committee for " Housing and Property Scrutiny". I suppose that was full of Tories and she highlighted concerns time & time again. Clearly manslaughter or "social murder" charges should be levelled against the Tories involved, maybe MBE's or CBE's for the labour members. Clearly by being labour, they're innocent.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

"The insulation that burned out of control on Grenfell Tower had never passed the required safety test and should never have been on the building, a BBC investigation has discovered.

Panorama understands the manufacturer, Celotex, used extra fire retardant in the product that qualified for the safety certificate.

A more flammable version was then sold for public use, the programme believes.

Celotex said it is co-operating with the police investigation and inquiry"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44200041

"The insulation that burned out of control on Grenfell Tower had never passed the required safety test and should never have been on the building, a BBC investigation has discovered.

Panorama understands the manufacturer, Celotex, used extra fire retardant in the product that qualified for the safety certificate.

A more flammable version was then sold for public use, the programme believes.

Celotex said it is co-operating with the police investigation and inquiry"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44200041

I insulated the whole 1st floor of my house with that - having checked it was fire retardent....

• 3 weeks later...

I can't apologise enough:

Mr Kebede was made a scapegoat with some newspapers suggesting Mr Kebede's fridge had exploded and caused the fire - something that has not been proven.

Mr Menon, who did not outline Mr Kebede's current health issues, said his client was "terrified" at the prospect of giving evidence to the inquiry.

• 1 month later...

Detectives investigating possible crimes including gross negligence manslaughter, corporate manslaughter and breaches of the Health and Safety Act have carried out three interviews under caution, in respect of the Grenfell Tower fire. The Mirror reports that MANSLAUGHTER prosecutions may be just around the corner.

Never seen a small flat with so many fridges:

Grenfell-inquiry-photo-8?width=650&height=450&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

On Tuesday the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) announced the review’s findings on the exploding fridge, that “the product met legal safety requirements and that the risk associated with the model is assessed as low”. Whirlpool said a second investigation, by its product safety experts, also found no evidence of any fault with the model FF175BP or its sister model, FF175BG.

On Tuesday the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) announced the review’s findings on the exploding fridge, that “the product met legal safety requirements and that the risk associated with the model is assessed as low”. Whirlpool said a second investigation, by its product safety experts, also found no evidence of any fault with the model FF175BP or its sister model, FF175BG.

Didn't take you as a Guardian reader, even a 2 month old edition.

Looking at the fridge freezer in the photo, it looks to me like the top part, the fridge, was where the fire started and has had it's door blown off it's hinges. I can't work out how the inside of a fridge can end up like that, unless something flammable ignited inside it. The freezer and fridge in the foreground duplicate the purpose of the fridge freezer that blew up. Why have two freezers and two fridges in a small flat? The forensics are to be finished by August, but I doubt there's much more to do at the scene.

I could be wrong, but I can't figure out how the inside of a fridge can end up looking like the one in the photo and I keep reverting to the OP. Something's not right, but it looks like we'll find out soon. Just a theory at the moment and I've been wrong before. I was certain Saints would be relegated and England get to the final of the World Cup, FFS...

Looking at the fridge freezer in the photo, it looks to me like the top part, the fridge, was where the fire started and has had it's door blown off it's hinges. I can't work out how the inside of a fridge can end up like that, unless something flammable ignited inside it. The freezer and fridge in the foreground duplicate the purpose of the fridge freezer that blew up. Why have two freezers and two fridges in a small flat? The forensics are to be finished by August, but I doubt there's much more to do at the scene.

I could be wrong, but I can't figure out how the inside of a fridge can end up looking like the one in the photo and I keep reverting to the OP. Something's not right, but it looks like we'll find out soon. Just a theory at the moment and I've been wrong before. I was certain Saints would be relegated and England get to the final of the World Cup, FFS...

It’s a well known issue with plastic backed fridges or freezers (from certain brands) that had fire issues, 100 percent fact. Loads of recalls etc.

• 3 months later...
Yeah I saw that earlier. I really don't understand what the joke is or what is so funny other than they are doing something "forbidden." they sound like a bunch of thick ****s which is of course what they are.

If they hadn't been so f*cking stupid as to post a video of it on social media, you would have a valid point.

Some say the hate crime was committed when someone decided to take the video from a WhatsApp group and share it online, where others will have seen it and possibly felt hated by it. In which case, will the veritable army of virtue-signallers from the political and media worlds who have been feverishly sharing the video and declaring their disgust with it also be questioned by the police for aiding and abetting this alleged hate crime? After all, it was their narcissistic need to derive a moral thrill from publicly condemning this strange, eccentric, offensive video that brought the video to the attention of millions of people. Without their moral posturing, this immoral video would not have been so widely seen. Arrest them too?

Seems a reasonable view IMO even if they are complete tw*ts.

It's utterly outrageous if anyone gets in criminal trouble because of this (the bonfire video, not the fire). The invidious creep of thought-policing and the desire to platform-everything is a far greater threat to all of us than some puerile half-wit prank.

There is a Procrustean attack on privacy of thought and privacy of conduct underway, often well-intentioned but ineffably stupid, which is really no good.

Edited by benjii

• 2 weeks later...

Are the police seriously locking up people for a bad taste joke? Shouldn’t they be concentrating on the high murder rate etc?

• 11 months later...

So Sir Martin Moore-Bick’s Grenfell inquiry report has found that the fire was caused by electrical fault in the large fridge freezer which “occurred without any fault on the part of the tenant... and I am pleased to clear him of any blame, given that some people have unfairly accused him of having some responsibility for what happened”.

Those people know who they are...

So Sir Martin Moore-Bick’s Grenfell inquiry report has found that the fire was caused by electrical fault in the large fridge freezer which “occurred without any fault on the part of the tenant... and I am pleased to clear him of any blame, given that some people have unfairly accused him of having some responsibility for what happened”.

Those people know who they are...

What??? You mean that the OP was wrong and he was spreading nasty baseless rumours.

I find that hard to believe.

Edited by Tamesaint

It may be too early for many, but not for me. This should never happen again.

Cladding doesn't catch fire on it's own and fridges don't normally explode. The only time I ever experienced an exploding fridge was when I allowed a research chemist to chill a solution of a pharmaceutical, dissolved in diethyl ether in our laboratory fridge. Later that night, as the thermostat in the fridge made contact and sparked, the fridge full of flammable vapour blew up and burnt the laboratory down. Flameproof laboratory fridges are available, but very expensive. We have 5 of them.

MDMA is normally purified by dissolving in acetone, filtering and then cooling, so that it crystallises out of solution. Acetone is also very flammable and if a normal fridge is full of acetone vapour, a spark from the thermostat will turn the fridge into a bomb. Such an explosion could cause aluminium and polyethylene cladding to catch fire in a heartbeat.

So, the first lesson is do not store flammable liquids in a domestic fridge and the second lesson is that if you do, make sure the building in which the fridge is situated is not clad in combustible material. The first lesson is the most important because the second lesson will not occur.

Just saying....

....also this is interesting but who knows if it's relevant?

Any chance that you might retract your insinuations in the light of what really occurred ?

Despite cutting back the fire service substantially in London, it looks like Johnson is going to avoid any flak.

Whilst the stay put advice was clearly misguided - also see Lakanal Tower - funny how the Fire Service are getting all of the blame and headlines, and there is no scrutiny of Boris’s fire service cuts, the deadly commissioning of the refurbishment by Kensington and Chelsea complete with lethal cladding, Rydon the contractors who have cost this country a fortune which the taxpayer will have to bail from private sector failure nor the dreadful PFI policies by Labour which enabled it. Unfortunately the fire service probably doesn’t have tabloid or TV news editors on speed dial as political parties and major construction firms do.