How important is our next managerial Appointment?

Mr X

I would be surprised if you could name any actually exceptions right now.

Bill Belichick? That bit of my post was entirely because of him:lol:. I can't name any other now or in the recent past although I think I would be right in saying that it was more common decades ago? Basically teams realised that a separation of the GM/Head Coach roles was more effective and it gradually became standard practice across all team sports on both sides of the Atlantic. Except british football which is ridiculously stubborn in it's romantic attachment to how things should be done the way they always have been. Management, tactics, physical preparation, kickoff times, stadium design, boot colour, anything, if it's not how it was in the 60s then it shoudn't be how it is now or at the very least you will have some people moaning endlessly. Sometimes there is merit in their arguments but most of the time it's just some sort of bizarre extreme conservatism that seems unique to football in this country, most of these same people won't usually cling so hard to traditions in other matters.

When it comes to 'The Southampton Way' not working with all managers, I would imagine the problem with Ronald and Les was a clash of egos. Les is the football king at Saints but RK was clearly head and shoulders above when it came to his status in football. He also worked under Cruyff who was the manager who had overseen Barcelona's transformation to a club producing talent on a regular basis therefore had an example of where the manager was in charge of everything football related.

Ronald was a great appointment at the time and this new appointment could do with being of the same calibre, or a brilliant young coach like Poch who can get in and galvanise the players and doesn't mind working within a defined structure. This will be hard as there aren't many coaches like him around.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

This notion that no one good will want to come here to "just" be a head coach subordinate to a DoF is bizarre. Most coaches in continental europe have never known any other way of working and in fact would not welcome the extra responsibility of dealing with things they have never dealt with before, distracting them from what they are truly good at. It makes no sense, you could hire the best coach in the world but if you then give him responsibility over recruitment of players or staff, not only might he not be very good at that but he could be spending that time on actual coaching, planning sessions for the whole team or individual players to improve them, analysis of opponents, any number of things. And european coaches know this and often want nothing to do with what they consider to be a DoF's responsibility.

The "full control over all football matters" british manager is the real anomaly, on the continent it is very rare. American sports also have a General Manager/Head Coach separation of responsibilities with very few exceptions.

Yeah, but apparently this idea is unique to horrible old Les Reed and his "demands, rules and regs" which are so demanding nobody has actually managed to say what any of them are.

All we know is our track record of Les appointing lots of very good managers is proof that no decent manager will ever work for Les or something.

This notion that no one good will want to come here to "just" be a head coach subordinate to a DoF is bizarre. Most coaches in continental europe have never known any other way of working and in fact would not welcome the extra responsibility of dealing with things they have never dealt with before, distracting them from what they are truly good at. It makes no sense, you could hire the best coach in the world but if you then give him responsibility over recruitment of players or staff, not only might he not be very good at that but he could be spending that time on actual coaching, planning sessions for the whole team or individual players to improve them, analysis of opponents, any number of things. And european coaches know this and often want nothing to do with what they consider to be a DoF's responsibility.

The "full control over all football matters" british manager is the real anomaly, on the continent it is very rare. American sports also have a General Manager/Head Coach separation of responsibilities with very few exceptions.

Probably explains why Conte is looking to leave Chelsea due to a lack of say in how things are run.

Ok well as you like to tell everyone that people who post bad things about Les Reed are making it up and

have no proof why can't you supply any proof that in fact they are incorrect????

Just because you, and to be fair a couple of others, shout and moan that "the detractors" are wrong will not

alter the fact that you can't prove it.

:lol:

Nope , I send it seems like it's made up because it has no proof and just as others have stated it's born out of irational dislike

Give us some actual evidence please.

The anti Les movement is Southamptons own Brexit, people really think we would be so better off without him, when in truth the best we would be is exactly the same. You are all Lincolnshire village idiots who have swallowed the bull**** of the loudest bloke in the pub.[/quote

I don't come from Lincolnshire and I got an entry invite from Mensa once, so I am less of an idiot than you and Les Reed(the idiot) are. Which might be an actual fact.

The anti Les movement is Southamptons own Brexit, people really think we would be so better off without him, when in truth the best we would be is exactly the same. You are all Lincolnshire village idiots who have swallowed the bull**** of the loudest bloke in the pub.[/quote

I don't come from Lincolnshire and I got an entry invite from Mensa once, so I am less of an idiot than you and Les Reed(the idiot) are. Which might be an actual fact.

:lol: top wumming