How important is our next managerial Appointment?

Mr X

Can't help thinking if we get this next appointment wrong we will be in real danger of slipping back into regular relegation battlers, we don't want to be in the same situation again 12 months down the line, appointing puel was a risk when more experience was available but on balance it nearly worked.

How important is proven success at premier league level?

How important is somone that can get the most out of average players?

How important is it that they are going to stay with us for at least two seasons?

Thoughts

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Good question.

Reed talks often about stability and this is why I reckon we may target the Burnley manager or Bournemouth.

Whats the point of long term contracts if the management turnover is shocking.

Those two would keep us moving in the right direction but it's the ambition of those that buy in players. IMHO if managers have more in the say of who they want we might do better.

Can't help thinking if we get this next appointment wrong we will be in real danger of slipping back into regular relegation battlers, we don't want to be in the same situation again 12 months down the line, appointing puel was a risk when more experience was available but on balance it nearly worked.

How important is it that they are going to stay with us for at least two seasons?

Thoughts

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think it's inaccurate to describe our players as average. Several are very good hence their attractiveness to mkre successful clubs and many a decent pros. In terms of the Premier League then perhaps you could place a few in the average category but it our assessment (and mine) is based on the standards of the best clubs not against every footballer. This is because our expectations have risen and risen, which is good in general but the downside is that we sometimes lose sight of the reality.

I think this appointment is possibly the most important since our takeover because the club is determined - verbally at least - to to push for higher domains still. This is great but it needs to be matched by the leader they select and the players we recruit. Get the right man and we attract the 2-3 decent players we need to compliment an already very good group. Last season though the manager got it wrong.

I doubt we are in really that close to relegation battles but I see why you might think that. We are 2 summer windows away if the recruiting only focusses on 20-22 year olds. The 2-3 I speak of need to be close to the finished article and probably 25-28.

I think thebtype of manager we need is one who can attract players because of him as well as the club and that we are a stepping stone which should be our USP.

Hopefully it will all become in a matter of days!!

Good question.

Reed talks often about stability and this is why I reckon we may target the Burnley manager or Bournemouth.

Whats the point of long term contracts if the management turnover is shocking.

Those two would keep us moving in the right direction but it's the ambition of those that buy in players. IMHO if managers have more in the say of who they want we might do better.

Howes failings have been identifying top level signings - our scouting network and reduced managerial responsibility in that area should free him up to shine. Really hope we make him an offer he can't refuse.

The manager is not the most important person at a football club. The owner is. Some of the best Clubs in the world change the manager every other year. Stability is hyped because of SAF and Arsene Wenger, but thats not the way most Clubs do it.

I am sure I read/heard that Howe likes to have control of all the football matters so that probably rules him out for The 'current' Southampton Way.

All managerial appointments are important, but we are just getting used to the idea that each one each one or two seasons is the most important ever! Which this one is of course.

i read the article on the echo today, jesus we have a s**t ton of restrictions that it seems the best we can attract is either bland no ambition types like puel or desperate coaches looking for a second chance and dont have any other offers. I mean the financial restrictions, the bureaucratic nonsense where you have to leave everything transfer related to wee ross, everything club related to leslie. seems like the manager role in our club is reduced to about 25% of the actual manager role. it says we want an experienced, fairly successful, commanding personality type manager, who in fooke's name with a "commanding personality" is willing to just work through these shackles and have wee ross and especially leslie breathing down his neck?! I think we need to buckle up as we'll probably settle for another puel type or a desperate previously failed manager looking for a second chance, which presents a huge risk as we cant be taking any chances next season.

Can't understand the talk about Howe or the Burnley fellow. They are happily settled doing a good job, unlikely to want a sideways move, or any move. Because they fit where they are, doesn't mean they would slot in somewhere else,

we are not predators anyway.

Can't understand the talk about Howe or the Burnley fellow. They are happily settled doing a good job, unlikely to want a sideways move, or any move. Because they fit where they are, doesn't mean they would slot in somewhere else,

Burnley and Bournemouth is not a sideway step.

We are a much bigger club plus more of an attraction for better players.

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Bring in a manager with a half decent track record who wants to establish himself in the PL, they will stay 2 seasons at the most.

Take a risk on someone less established, it might not work out as planned.

The next appointment is quite important because the club feels like it is in decline again and we need to stop the rot.

Seeing as most names being touted are the same as last summer, and the one interesting name has ruled himself out, I am not filled with optimism.

Bring in a manager with a half decent track record who wants to establish himself in the PL, they will stay 2 seasons at the most.

The next appointment is quite important because the club feels like it is in decline again and we need to stop the rot.

Seeing as most names being touted are the same as last summer, and the one interesting name has ruled himself out, I am not filled with optimism.

I'll take another 2 good seasons...may be better candidates available as well in 2 years.

Whatever, we can't keep changing managers every year. That will lead to replacing managers very few months, and we know where that led.

Isn't this the exact same question the press and football pundit experts ask every single year, about managers and players? We've done OK so far.

We brought in a new manager last year, who many people didn't want in the first place, who took us to Wembley and 8th place. There's nothing to say we will be better or worse if we do it all again with a new manager.

Really? :p

i read the article on the echo today, jesus we have a s**t ton of restrictions that it seems the best we can attract is either bland no ambition types like puel or desperate coaches looking for a second chance and dont have any other offers. I mean the financial restrictions, the bureaucratic nonsense where you have to leave everything transfer related to wee ross, everything club related to leslie. seems like the manager role in our club is reduced to about 25% of the actual manager role. it says we want an experienced, fairly successful, commanding personality type manager, who in fooke's name with a "commanding personality" is willing to just work through these shackles and have wee ross and especially leslie breathing down his neck?! I think we need to buckle up as we'll probably settle for another puel type or a desperate previously failed manager looking for a second chance, which presents a huge risk as we cant be taking any chances next season.

If you get rid of Reed,you lose all those ridiculous restrictions and free the club to get a proper manager in who is allowed to manage. As long as Reed is allowed to do it "HIS" way, we will carry on downhill.

And yes we do have an average squad. Megalomaniac Reed thinks he is the most important person at the club. Kat is and the next one should be the manager.

So what. Fine by me if our next manager does so well he is promoted off to a big European club or Everton.

If you get rid of Reed,you lose all those ridiculous restrictions and free the club to get a proper manager in who is allowed to manage. As long as Reed is allowed to do it "HIS" way, we will carry on downhill.

And yes we do have an average squad. Megalomaniac Reed thinks he is the most important person at the club. Kat is and the next one should be the manager.

Downhill... really.. hilarious bluster

Top ten every season since we came back except the first.... :lol:

I don't think there's a problem if we get a manager who is a massive success and gets poached. Then we will be in a good position to get a decent replacement and we'll have an improved team and possibly Europe. Having a successful manager is a good thing, right? Unless you're imagining we get an amazing manager who gets offered jobs by the top clubs, but decides to devote himself to Southampton for many years, even though if he has one mediocre season, the fans will call for him to be sacked. I don't think I want a manager with such poor judgement.

In much the same way Koeman was settled doing a good job. Everyone has ambition to advance.

Unless someone is really desperate for a managerial job no matter what ala Giggs, no decent manager is going to sign up to the demands, rules and regs of Reed which is probably why we ended up with Puel.

This has been mentioned a few times on here but i have yet to read any real justification of these claims, can you enlighten me ?

Reed is of course the problem, can you imagine top class coaches being interviewed by him? For a start most top coaches are probably twice as bright and canny as him and would probably cringe at the low level of thinking that seems to go on here. As others have said Puel is probably as good as we can expect.

Unless someone is really desperate for a managerial job no matter what ala Giggs, no decent manager is going to sign up to the demands, rules and regs of Reed which is probably why we ended up with Puel.

This.

Lost Mopo (fast) fell out with Koeman, sacked Puel (3 down in 1,100 days)

The era of the gaffer is over (according to Les) he just wants a coach to train the players he signs and plays the style he ("the club") chooses. That definitely limits our hiring pool and ability to keep managers IMHO

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

Reed is of course the problem, can you imagine top class coaches being interviewed by him? For a start most top coaches are probably twice as bright and canny as him and would probably cringe at the low level of thinking that seems to go on here. As others have said Puel is probably as good as we can expect.

A fair summary of the situation. The main criterion for the new manager is going to be that he is prepared to do as someone who was once voted the worst manager in the history of the Premier League tells him. So, that rules out the best candidates.

Many would argue that these restrictions allow us to keep progressing solidly even though managers/players come and go, it means a manager can't come in and completely screw the club over.

You only have to look at the multiple signings out there clubs are lumbered with because a certain manager wanted them and then he fcks up leaving them lumbered with a donkey, to see why clubs generally don't let one person make signings or control the club from top to bottom anymore.

Even the likes of Conte doesn't have full control over signings.

This.

The era of the gaffer is over (according to Les) he just wants a coach to train the players he signs and plays the style he ("the club") chooses. That definitely limits our hiring pool and ability to keep managers IMHO

Why are so many so blind to what might well happen this season, because Reed will pick who stays and goes? He will get the best yes man he can find. Possibly a choice of one like last summer. He will tell the new man that he wants Academy players to play as much as possible, regardless of whether they are good enough. He will not replace Bertrand if he goes and which will force the new man to play Targett or McQueen. This is not the way to run a top 10 team. Last year we started at 600/1 for relegation, now we are at 25/1. Thanks Les Reed.

Thoughts

It's as important as the last appointment.

We should rename this the agenda against Reed thread...

Would be nice if the accusations were actual facts not biased interpretations of those with the agenda

It wouldn't be Saintsweb if there wasn't a load of unproven sh01te being passed off as fact.

Let's pretend this Reed conspiracy is right - does it matter and what difference does it make to our choice of manager?

Who would we expect to get if we were not looking for a Les Reed Yes-Man, who is currently not an option for that reason alone? Who has been ruled out for not being a yes-man?

This.

Why are so many so blind to what might well happen this season, because Reed will pick who stays and goes? He will get the best yes man he can find. Possibly a choice of one like last summer. He will tell the new man that he wants Academy players to play as much as possible, regardless of whether they are good enough. He will not replace Bertrand if he goes and which will force the new man to play Targett or McQueen. This is not the way to run a top 10 team. Last year we started at 600/1 for relegation, now we are at 25/1. Thanks Les Reed.

You claim Puel was a Yes man, yet we're hearing he refused to change his tactical appraoch next season and that being part of the reason he has left. That doesn;t really seem to fit your narrative.

You claim Puel was a Yes man, yet we're hearing he refused to change his tactical appraoch next season and that being part of the reason he has left. That doesn;t really seem to fit your narrative.

I don't want to get involved in yours a Larrys discussion, but Reed sacking Puel as he said no (or refused to change his style - as reported) would seem to back up the suggestion that Reed wants a YES man?

I don't want to get involved in yours a Larrys discussion, but Reed sacking Puel as he said no (or refused to change his style - as reported) would seem to back up the suggestion that Reed wants a YES man?

So was he not told by Les what to do from the start? surely he must have been if Les only wants yes men?????????

Right, so my point that Puel isn't so much a Yes man stands.

I'm not disputing what Reed may or may not want.

Right, so my point that Puel isn't so much a Yes man stands.

I'm not disputing what Reed may or may not want.

I think that's the exact point people are making. We will struggle to hold onto managers as eventually they want some control on things (ala Puel and Koeman)

Hence 3 managers in 3 years under Leslie

Burnley and Bournemouth is not a sideway step.

We are a much bigger club plus more of an attraction for better players.

Let's be honest, we're not a *much* bigger club than either of those. A bit bigger, sure, but if you're in a stable job at a club who are £95% funded by tv money, just like us, it's hardly a case of 'when Saints come calling...'

personally i don't think reed is a pleasant person to work with never mind work for as he seems to have a bug up his bung hole. IMHO he never lets a manager or anyone else at the club have the freedom to work outside the strict set of rules he likes to call the soton way. which by the way counteracts the sh00t he talks about in his disastrous pr videos. you cant claim to harbor ambitions to play cl one day and then not spend any money or hire a manager remotely capable of realizing that ambition. either he severely lacks intelligence or he likes taking the shoite with fans. either way you have no choice but to blame his nonsense talking a**. Just my opinion tho.

personally i don't think reed is a pleasant person to work with never mind work for as he seems to have a bug up his bung hole. IMHO he never lets a manager or anyone else at the club have the freedom to work outside the strict set of rules he likes to call the soton way. which by the way counteracts the sh00t he talks about in his disastrous pr videos. you cant claim to harbor ambitions to play cl one day and then not spend any money or hire a manager remotely capable of realizing that ambition. either he severely lacks intelligence or he likes taking the shoite with fans. either way you have no choice but to blame his nonsense talking a**. Just my opinion tho.

The Saintsweb end of season manual dictates :

a) Hound out the existing manager !

b) Slag off the Director of Football in advance of his next managerial appointment !

c) Pronounce " totally underwhelmed" when the new guy is appointed !

d) Give him 3 games before declaring that he is out of his depth !

e) Tell the world that you will give him until Christmas !

f) Start again hounding out the manager !

:mcinnes:

b) Slag off the Director of Football in advance of his next managerial appointment !

We all have to admit that is so true

And rewrite and upgrade previous manager's record.

Await 'Puel wasn't given enough time by impatient Les and was doing a great job in the circumstance'

No pal it couldn't be further from the truth. Which managers have been hounded out? Recent managers have jumped ship - they haven't been pushed. And the last two mangers before Puel that were pushed provoked fan opposition. Other than that, your little manual is brimming with insight. File in the humour and jokes section :lol:

Edited by shurlock