European Under-21 Championships

igsey

As soon as I saw JWP on the 4th I thought, 'he'll place this and Redmond will step up and miss'. I guess Redmond's was saved, but we all knew that JWP would take a better one than Redmond. Abraham's penalty was the worst though, score that and it's a different story. Shame for the lads.

Why the hell did Puel come in and compare Redmond to Henry? that totally threw him and us as fans - in my opinion. It's given us all ****ty expectations of someone who is a decent player, but isn't 'henry'.

Reminds me of the days when Jan Portwhatisname can in and said BWP is our Torres, Ryan Smith is our Robben etc.

Glad he's gone with all that jibberish.

Most of the English players don't seem to be able to smash the ball low with the instep preferring to side foot or wrap the foot around the ball losing the explosive power through putting the foot through the ball keeping the knee over the ball and weight forward. If they do mostly lean back and miss high. As most have been with clubs from about 8 years of age and still favour one foot it appears that coaching and application isn't good.

Most of the English players don't seem to be able to smash the ball low with the instep preferring to side foot or wrap the foot around the ball losing the explosive power through putting the foot through the ball keeping the knee over the ball and weight forward. If they do mostly lean back and miss high. As most have been with clubs from about 8 years of age and still favour one foot it appears that coaching and application isn't good.

Time for Le Tiss to give some technical lessons?

Time for Le Tiss to give some technical lessons?

Is there really anything massively technical to it? Just hit it on target as hard as you can. These dinked efforts or soft side foots are asking for trouble. Lambert's pens were just sheer power, it didn't matter where they went, the keeper just couldn't react quick enough.

Is there really anything massively technical to it? Just hit it on target as hard as you can. These dinked efforts or soft side foots are asking for trouble. Lambert's pens were just sheer power, it didn't matter where they went, the keeper just couldn't react quick enough.

I'm sure people can be coached to take better penalties (though in a shoot out there is a lot more that comes into it). However, what I'm not sure about is that Le Tissier is necessarily the ideal coach. Sure, he might be, but equally he had an abundance of technical ability that certain things probably just came easily to him. I recall him saying that he would often aim for the right corner and then if the keeper started going that way, he'd just adjust his foot and put it in the other corner.

Not sure Gareth Southgate, David Batty, Darius Vassell or our very own Nathan Redmond quite have that level of mastery, composure and confidence in their locker, no matter who coaches them and how long they practise.

I'm sure people can be coached to take better penalties (though in a shoot out there is a lot more that comes into it). However, what I'm not sure about is that Le Tissier is necessarily the ideal coach. Sure, he might be, but equally he had an abundance of technical ability that certain things probably just came easily to him. I recall him saying that he would often aim for the right corner and then if the keeper started going that way, he'd just adjust his foot and put it in the other corner.

Not sure Gareth Southgate, David Batty, Darius Vassell or our very own Nathan Redmond quite have that level of mastery, composure and confidence in their locker, no matter who coaches them and how long they practise.

But the thing is keepers are getting better and better and in a lot of cases bigger and bigger. Most are over 6ft 4 now and that gives them more reach in all directions. An average keeper used to be pretty..well average but now some of them are really excellent footballers. I'm sure a lot of 1990s keepers were of nowhere near the standard that today's youngsters are.

A penalty used to be a gift goal unless you farked up but now it's probably a 70/30 shot.

Look at Bravo yesterday, bit of a clown but he managed to save 3 penalties anyway, that's because at penalty saving he's a pretty decent keeper.

Edited by Window Cleaner

But the thing is keepers are getting better and better and in a lot of cases bigger and bigger. Most are over 6ft 4 now and that gives them more reach in all directions. An average keeper used to be pretty..well average but now some of them are really excellent footballers. I'm sure a lot of 1990s keepers were of nowhere near the standard that today's youngsters are.

A penalty used to be a gift goal unless you farked up but now it's probably a 70/30 shot.

Look at Bravo yesterday, bit of a clown but he managed to save 3 penalties anyway, that's because at penalty saving he's a pretty decent keeper.

All true, although of all the facets of a keeper's game that have developed, surely standing in the goal and saving a shot from 12 yards is one which has changed the least? Perhaps the mental/tactical side of it has improved, and I suppose players are in general more athletic regardless of position, but if you compare a standard top division goalkeeper now to one 20/30 years ago, I imagine that 'shot stopping' would be one of the smaller differences, compared to other skills - most obviously ability to play as an outfield player.

All true, although of all the facets of a keeper's game that have developed, surely standing in the goal and saving a shot from 12 yards is one which has changed the least? Perhaps the mental/tactical side of it has improved, and I suppose players are in general more athletic regardless of position, but if you compare a standard top division goalkeeper now to one 20/30 years ago, I imagine that 'shot stopping' would be one of the smaller differences, compared to other skills - most obviously ability to play as an outfield player.

Not really, I remember the old keepers and some of them were unfit, not very alert and didn't really read the game well. This new breed is mega fit and most have a certain intellegence for the game about them. I'm sure that if you looked at the number of penalties saved in say 1989/90 and again in 2016/17 you find a vast improvement for the latter.

In fact you can see it here:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/elfmetertoeter/wettbewerb/GB1

Frazer saved 3 out of 9 penalties last season and he was about the best at it.

Go back over the years and you'll see that back in say 99/2000 the best rate was far less.

93/94 is a real revelation, a couple of keepers saved one of five and the rest had a zero percent save rate.

NB: Did we really concede 9 penalties in the league last season ? One about every 4 games or so, need to correct that then.

Edited by Window Cleaner