Peter Crouch Funny ma

Dublin Saint

If he'd only taken the ball into the corner against Everton...

Then we wouldn't have been relegated, we wouldn't have been on the brink, we wouldn't have got The Leighburr's and we wouldn't be in the fantastic position we're in now despite everyone's whinging. We're in a far healthier state now than we were in 2004 IMO.

Had we not been relegated there are an abundance of "might haves" too - so we can't say whether or not we're better off now than we would have been. It wasn't Crouch's fault we went down. It was just one of those things. I don't know about anyone else, but I think I preferred our time in the lower leagues. Fewer egos, more honest football and where anyone could beat anyone pretty much and less razzmatazz. Plus although half the attendance we get now, at least they were saints fans and not premier league fans.

I remember meeting him after the Elfsborg pre-season friendly, not long after he joined us. One of the lads we were with asked him if it was true that he had a PFC tattoo. Crouch replied, 'Yeah, it stands for Peter ****ing Crouch'. :-)

Villa were also on tour in Sweden that summer. We met some of their fans in the hotel in Gothenburg and every one of them said that Crouchie would do a great job for us. One said 'He's the complete opposite of what you'd expect. He's got a head like a 50p but he's great with the ball at his feet'.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Had we not been relegated there are an abundance of "might haves" too - so we can't say whether or not we're better off now than we would have been. It wasn't Crouch's fault we went down. It was just one of those things. I don't know about anyone else, but I think I preferred our time in the lower leagues. Fewer egos, more honest football and where anyone could beat anyone pretty much and less razzmatazz. Plus although half the attendance we get now, at least they were saints fans and not premier league fans.

Totally agree. However, be careful what you wish for. Les's tinkering may cost us!

Then we wouldn't have been relegated, we wouldn't have been on the brink, we wouldn't have got The Leighburr's and we wouldn't be in the fantastic position we're in now despite everyone's whinging. We're in a far healthier state now than we were in 2004 IMO.

We still might have found some decent investment, eventually. Don't forget when we went down Spurs and Man City were mid table rivals for a few years.

If nothing else we might have held on to Bale and Walcott a bit longer and have a bit more money from them.

As much as I probably enjoyed the 'matchday experience' more in the lower leagues (as I did in the 70s) the crowds were hardly "half the attendance we get now", we averaged in the 20,000s in League One with a few 30,000s.

But anyway, I liked Crouchy, but will hold my hands up and say I wasn't best chuffed when he arrived, with his calamitous performance for Villa at St Mary's still fresh in the mind from 2 seasons previous!

Done well for us and probably one of the best signings the scousers ever got from SFC. Look where that lead!