Red-and-White Stripes

Hamilton Saint

I've been checking out the BBC Football website numerous times a day lately, in anticipation of an article about the appointment, or rumours of an appointment, of a new Saints' manager. Each of the main stories on there has an accompanying photo, so any picture with a player in red-and-white stripes catches my eye.

In the last week, or so, there have been stories about players with Sheffield United, Stoke City, Athletic Bilbao and - today - Guadalajara in Mexico.

Anybody know of other football teams (especially outside the UK) that play in the red-and-white stripes? Any team ever play in red-and-white hoops?

Just wondering.

:?:

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Some more non-English

Melbourne City are stripes, I believe

Or how about the mighty Tanjong Pagar Utd who are also in stripes.

And maybe Tony Fernandes's AirAsia FC which changed its name to Petaling Jaya Rangers - they seem to chop and change between stripes, hoops and solid.

And then copying Atletico's strip (not a surprise I guess seeing as they own part of it) you have Atletico de Kolkata.

Phnom Penh Crown seem to have the inverse of our 2017/18 short, ie red middle with white wings.

Atletico Bilboa adopted Southampton's colours of red and white stripes with black shorts in 1909 when a Bilboa student picked up 50 shirts for the.club before catching the ferry back home. As a result Bilbao changed from their previous strip. Some surplus shirts out of the 50 were sent to Atletico Madrid, hence two Spanish clubs have this link to Southampton.

Atletico Bilboa adopted Southampton's colours of red and white stripes with black shorts in 1909 when a Bilboa student picked up 50 shirts for the.club before catching the ferry back home. As a result Bilbao changed from their previous strip. Some surplus shirts out of the 50 were sent to Atletico Madrid, hence two Spanish clubs have this link to Southampton.

For your next trick, are you going to enlighten us as to why we are called the Saints, as none of us know. Cheers

Can we have kit photos as well please, this might even be the start of the 2018/19 kit thread ;)

That's not how kit threads work! We have to wait for a leak of something pertaining to the following season's kit (eg the 2017/18 thread was prompted by an Under Armour release of Colo Colo's 2017/18 kit in November). Until that point there's no point in having it because we know it's Under Armour, we know it's got Virgin Media on the front, we know it will probably be stripes (especially after being only sort-of stripes this year) and there's nothing new to go on until the UA designs come out.

Anyway, yeah, loads of teams play in red and white stripes. My favourite thing about this thread is no-one even bothering to compile a list. :D

For your next trick, are you going to enlighten us as to why we are called the Saints, as none of us know. Cheers

My favourite bits are the use of Atletico for the Bilbao club (not their name), and Bilboa (not part of the club's name anyway, twice misspelled, and then I assume accidentally correctly spelt at the end).

Some more non-English

Melbourne City are stripes, I believe

Or how about the mighty Tanjong Pagar Utd who are also in stripes.

And maybe Tony Fernandes's AirAsia FC which changed its name to Petaling Jaya Rangers - they seem to chop and change between stripes, hoops and solid.

And then copying Atletico's strip (not a surprise I guess seeing as they own part of it) you have Atletico de Kolkata.

Phnom Penh Crown seem to have the inverse of our 2017/18 short, ie red middle with white wings.

they were when they were called Melbourne Heart, they now play in Man City blue.

The classic USA kit from '94 hasn't had a mention yet. Oh, and just-relegated from La Liga CF Granada wear red and white hoops.

Quite impressed angelman has managed to name one team that no longer exists (Chivas USA) and one that's changed name and colours (Melbourne City). :D

Edited by The9