Mauricio Pellegrino signs as First Team Manager on a Three Year deal - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

'Success' is massively contextual. What we consider success is very different to what Chelsea or City consider success and also different to what a newly promoted or bottom-5 team would consider success.

IMO, success for Saints is Europa League qualification. That would be a big positive and we'd all celebrate... but if Chelsea did the same, it would be failure.

Samuels seems to think if you're in the Premier League, you have to win something. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see if he posts a similar article about Crystal Palace, who have been far less successful in recent years than us and also have a new manager (I admit, he may well have already done so, I don't tend to hunt out his articles).

Far too intelligent and thoughtful for an early Monday morning post.

I have to disagree with you there. "They are not successful by recognisable sporting standards", by which I take it he means winning leagues and tophies, the kind of success which comes largely to the big six clubs with the big resources.

So he goes on to compare Saints with broadly similar clubs, Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, and to assert that Saints are less successful. That's highly debatable. No compelling evidence is given for this view. He puts forward Stoke reaching as many finals as Saints and Swansea winning the LC, and both going further in Europe than Saints. And they and West Brom having "survived" in the PL longer than Saints. But for Swansea's single LC triumph, these are largely different criteria of success from his "recognisable sporting standards".

He asserts that Saints' success is "largely financial" (though doesn't say what that financial success entails). He acknowledges that it is "indisputably a well run club" and that Saints has a "fine academy". He ignores Saints finishing 8th, 7th, 6th, 8th in the past 4 seasons. This isn't a club which is aiming for survival as he implies.

The general tenor is entirely negative and not for the first time. His arguments are woolly and poorly argued imo. It smacks of prejudice. Hardly a surprise considering he works for Dacre.

I agree his article is a bit pointless and unprompted, but his overall point is one worthy of discussion, but you have missed. Relative to the talent we have had on our books, have we achieved as much as we could have? We've had better players, better squads, than Swansea, West Brom or Stoke, but haven't achieved much more than them. That's his point. Disagree and argue with that and challenge him, but its also a view held by many Saints fans that we should have more to show for our achievements than West Brom or Swansea.

I guess finishing above them means we have achieved more. But what else are we supposed to achieve? We are making up the numbers pure and simple. It is the way football is, with the top sides consolidating their position. Leicester, and i hate the phrase, was the exception that proves the rule. Fair do to LCFC, they have achieved something. 15 other clubs in PL haven't.

I don't know who's trolling who.

Clearly this Southampton Way moniker has gotten under Samuel's skin. The more Les spouts it, the more wound up Samuel seems to get. In turn, Samuel knows exactly which buttons to press with Saints fans.

I agree his article is a bit pointless and unprompted, but his overall point is one worthy of discussion, but you have missed. Relative to the talent we have had on our books, have we achieved as much as we could have? We've had better players, better squads, than Swansea, West Brom or Stoke, but haven't achieved much more than them. That's his point. Disagree and argue with that and challenge him, but its also a view held by many Saints fans that we should have more to show for our achievements than West Brom or Swansea.

I think he isn't quite saying that. He's saying that we would have been more successful if we hadn't sold our best players - "They have had a decent team for a number of years, but are not successful by recognisable sporting standards because they sell their best players." He could have argued the same of. Man Utd if they hadn't sold Ronaldo, Liverpool Suarez or Tottenham Bale. As we know, it's the pecking order, the way of football, based on financial capacity. He ignores or doesn't recognise that Saints have been implementing a strategy for sustainable development over a period of years which has been relatively successful. Saying we'd have probably been more successful had we not sold our best players, as if we wouldn't have preferred to have retained them, is stating the bleeding obvious and a non point.

Success - business or sporting or both? It's pretty hard to be successful at both unless you are a big boy, and even then some clubs base their finances on debt, which some might not consider successful. But then you have the likes of Arsenal. They aren't considered particularly successful sporting wise (no title in 11 years, crash out of CL early, etc etc) but as a business they most certainly are. There was a headline last year saying that Arsenal had more cash in the bank that Real, Barca and Bayern combined. A nice new stadium. Then you have say, Chelsea, who are successful on the pitch but hugely in debt off of it.

So you have smaller clubs like us. Our success on the pitch is very much limited by the need to keep our finances under control, and the need to run the club properly and not do it like Pompey. With that in mind, taking both sporting and financial aspects into account I think we are generally pretty successful. I am not sure what Samuels expects - us to start paying all our players £120m a year (despite of the rules)?

Shrulock - maybe the Southampton Way annoys him - personally I ignore it as being nonsense. Maybe anything Saints does annoys him seeing as he was taken to court and lost. As a supposedly esteemed journalist, not sure it does much for his integrity if he is trying to push Saints' button.

Past 5 seasons....

Saints

Position - 14 8 7 6 8 = 8.6

Points - 41 56 60 63 46 = 53.2 Total = 266

Europe - No No No Yes Yes = 2/5

FA Cup - 3rd 16 4th 3rd 4th = 3.8

League Cup - 16 16 QF QF F = 6

League Goals - 49/60 54/46 54/33 59/41 41/48 = +51.4/-45.6 Total = +257/-228

Goal Dif - -11 8 21 18 -7 = +5.8 Total = +29

Stoke

Position - 13 9 9 9 13 = 10.6

Points - 42 50 54 51 44 = 48.2 Total = 241

Europe - No No No No No = 0/5

FA Cup - 4th 4th 16 4th 3rd = 4

League Cup - 2nd QF 16 SF 3rd = 5

League Goals - 34/45 45/52 48/45 41/55 41/56 = +41.8/-50.6 Total = +209/-253

Goal Dif - -11 -7 3 -14 -15 = -8.8 Total = -44

Swansea

Position - 9 12 8 12 15 = 11.2

Points - 46 42 56 47 41 = 46.4 Total = 232

Europe - No Yes No No No = 1/5

FA Cup - 3rd 16 4th 3rd 3rd = 3.6

League Cup - Win 3rd 16 3rd 3rd = 5.2

League Goals - 47/51 54/54 46/49 42/52 45/70 = +46.8/-55.2 Total = +234/-276

Goal Dif - -4 0 -3 -10 -25 = -8.4 Total = -42

West Brom

Position - 8 17 13 14 10 = 12.4

Points - 49 36 44 43 45 = 43.4 Total - 217

FA Cup - 3rd 3rd QF 5th 3rd = 4

League Cup - 3rd 3rd 16 3rd 2nd = 4

League Goals - 53/57 43/59 38/51 34/48 43/51 = +42.2/-53.2 Total = +211/-266

Goal Dif - -4 -16 -13 -14 -8 = -11 Total = -55

Don't think we stack up too badly (inc. first year back too)

Note: Assigned FA Cup/League Cup a score per round, and adjusted to allow direct comparison between team performance and between competitions, i.e. FA Cup round 3 = 3 points, whereas League Cup round 3 = 4 points, owing to the nature of fewer rounds before reaching final.

Edited by Donatello

Past 5 seasons....

Saints

Position - 14 8 7 6 8 = 8.6

Points - 41 56 60 63 46 = 53.2 Total = 266

Europe - No No No Yes Yes = 2/5

FA Cup - 3rd 16 4th 3rd 4th = 3.8

League Cup - 16 16 QF QF F = 6

League Goals - 49/60 54/46 54/33 59/41 41/48 = +51.4/-45.6 Total = +257/-228

Goal Dif - -11 8 21 18 -7 = +5.8 Total = +29

Stoke

Position - 13 9 9 9 13 = 10.6

Points - 42 50 54 51 44 = 48.2 Total = 241

FA Cup - 4th 4th 16 4th 3rd = 4

League Cup - 2nd QF 16 SF 3rd = 5

League Goals - 34/45 45/52 48/45 41/55 41/56 = +41.8/-50.6 Total = +209/-253

Goal Dif - -11 -7 3 -14 -15 = -8.8 Total = -44

Swansea

Position - 9 12 8 12 15 = 11.2

Points - 46 42 56 47 41 = 46.4 Total = 232

Europe - No Yes No No No = 1/5

FA Cup - 3rd 16 4th 3rd 3rd = 3.6

League Cup - Win 3rd 16 3rd 3rd = 5.2

League Goals - 47/51 54/54 46/49 42/52 45/70 = +46.8/-55.2 Total = +234/-276

Goal Dif - -4 0 -3 -10 -25 = -8.4 Total = -42

West Brom

Position - 8 17 13 14 10 = 12.4

Points - 49 36 44 43 45 = 43.4 Total - 217

FA Cup - 3rd 3rd QF 5th 3rd = 4

League Cup - 3rd 3rd 16 3rd 2nd = 4

League Goals - 53/57 43/59 38/51 34/48 43/51 = +42.2/-53.2 Total = +211/-266

Goal Dif - -4 -16 -13 -14 -8 = -11 Total = -55

Don't think we stack up too badly.

Note: Assigned FA Cup/League Cup a score per round, and adjusted to allow direct comparison between team performance and between competitions, i.e. FA Cup round 3 = 3 points, whereas League Cup round 3 = 4 points, owing to the nature of fewer rounds before reaching final.

I think we're better and have been better than all those sides, but the argument is, is us finishing 8th worthy of much more praise than Stoke finishing 10th for example. The Southampton Way stuff clearly winds Samuels up, he struggles to see how we've done much more than those other sides to warrant that praise.

My main argument would be quality of our academy outstrips there's.

We have still come closer to pushing the top 6 in recent years.

Guess the fine margins of a goal at Wembley make the difference as well.

That Samuel article is drivel, just like the stuff he usually writes. There is a reason he writes for the Mail, i.e that no decent newspaper would have him.

He doesn't understand the club at all and clearly doesn't like us, I don't see similar critical articles on other mid table clubs.

What we did 20 years ago (just like what Liverpool and Man Utd did) is irrelevant, it's our progress since the take over that is important. He knows, just like everyone else that the reality of football today is money and clubs of our size cannot possibly hold onto our best players. Yet in this article and others like it he completely ignores that fact.

He consistently claims that we are selling club (every club bar like Real Madrid and Barca) are selling clubs, Man Utd couldn't stop Ronaldo going to Real, Liverpool couldn't stop Suarez, Torres or Sterling going either, just like we couldn't stop our players wanting to leave when the big clubs flashed their money at them.

What exactly does he expect from us? Cos he's basically asking for magic, if Liverpool and Man Utd can't hold onto their best players, how does he expect us to?

That clear fact he has to ignore because it's destroys his whole point and his whole article is basically an attack on the club, has no real basis in reality.

We sold players because we were essentially forced to, because that is football.

And I'm also not sure how taking a club from League 1 to top 6 in the Premier League is not success? What have West Brom done over that period aside bored everyone to death? Have they produced any players, have they challenged for top 6, have they finished above Liverpool.

Apparently though they have been successful because they went nowhere and bought no players that big clubs want to steal, great success!

The guy is basically a moron.

Let's face it, Samuels is a bit of a ****!

His reference to Leicester's title win is particularly laughable - if he's going to use that one-off freak event as a stick to beat us with, then surely that applies to every other premier league club who hasn't won the league in the last 5/10 years, including Stoke, Swansea and West Brom!

There is however one sentence out of the rest of the drivel where he does have a half decent point - "If there is a 'Southampton Way' it involves a fine academy that generates revenue and helps maintain an upper mid-table position." This is basically the model we are employing (although it is not just academy players that we develop but also young talent bought in from other clubs) - the problem we are facing in that strategy is that if you keep selling your 3/4 most marketable players every season, it will be extremely difficult/impossible to progress to beyond the upper mid-table position that we have achieved, even if your recruitment and academy development is good (which by and large it has been), as you are having to constantly re-build at the start of every season. So, at the moment, you would have to agree with him in the sense that "the Southampton Way" has been very effective in achieving an upper mid-table position in the league, but it's hard to see how we can achieve further success beyond that unless we break the cycle of sales at some point.

Where he is wrong though is belittling the achievement in consistently achieving the positions in the league that we have, and the stats show that we have done significantly better than the other clubs he compares us with.

It sounds like the sole aim of the article was to be controversial, wind people up, and gather clicks for advertisers - so I haven't bothered to read it.

So, he's pretty much achieved what he aimed to do (going by the comments on this thread, as I haven't read it either)

The more you read the more excited you feel. certainly feels a lot warmer than it did last year...

My main gripe of Claude is that he had his way and that was his way, he didn't come into this club and adapt his way to suit what he had. He forced a way on players who weren't suited to it.

Sounds like this guy does it the right way and is very flexible. I feel incredibly positive about this.

Every time Samuel writes one of these articles, F365 catches him out on Mediawatch. It's very funny.

One rule for one…

The Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel has praised Monaco for doing ‘what they do in France’ and giving Tiemoue Bakayoko plenty of first-team football last season before selling him for £35.1m to Chelsea. And this is because Chelsea are evil and do not do the same thing with their young players. Thus, Monaco are to be praised. Well done, Monaco.

The Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel feels a little differently about Southampton, who ‘sell their best players’ and merely ‘have a fine Academy that generates revenue’. This is because he hates Southampton. Thus, Southampton are to be derided. Boo to Southampton.

Oh when the Saints…

Mediawatch cannot spend too long on Martin Samuel’s latest nonsense about Southampton but claiming that you ‘could argue’ that Swansea and Stoke are ‘more successful’ than the Saints is quite some claim. You could argue that, but you would be a damned fool with a massive axe to grind.

‘Let’s see, Swansea won the League Cup in 2013 and have gone further than Southampton in Europe…’

Yes, and they have just fought a relegation battle in a season that saw them employ three different managers. They have only once finished in the top eight over the last five years, which is a feat achieved in four successive seasons by Southampton.

‘Stoke have reached as many domestic finals this decade and got to the Europa League’s last 32.’

‘This decade’? Just about. They reached a domestic final in 2010/11, when Southampton were still in League One. And they have never once finished in the top eight.

Mediawatch suspects that Southampton fans are rather happier than their lot. But why let that get in the way of yet another pop at a club that has no ‘ambition’ (despite spending more on transfers over the last five years than every club bar the top six)?

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-alexis-sanchez-wants-spain-or-england-or

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

The more you read the more excited you feel. certainly feels a lot warmer than it did last year...

My main gripe of Claude is that he had his way and that was his way, he didn't come into this club and adapt his way to suit what he had. He forced a way on players who weren't suited to it.

Sounds like this guy does it the right way and is very flexible. I feel incredibly positive about this.

Have to agree, not sure we had this sort of stuff around Puel, though there was stuff from Thierry Henry, reminds me more about when we got Poch in.

Samuels is right is his assertion that we should have won something, or at least put up more of a challenge to win the cups. However he's totally wrong where he places the blame. It is not The Southampton way, or selling players, that's stopped this happening. It was Poch & Koeman not taking the cups seriously enough. Not that anybody in the media, especially not Samuels will say that. We had the players & it's not like we drew Chelsea or City away. We were best of the rest with some ****kng good players,and we got nowhere near. That's down to the manager imo, not the club policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717975-inside-the-southampton-black-box-informing-their-manager-carousel

Nothing much new there, but there's a bit more about the black box and the philosophy in place around it than I'd heard before.

Interesting about Gabbi and Romeu, that they were being tracked years before being signed, the club just waiting for the opportunity to take advantage.

Every time Samuel writes one of these articles, F365 catches him out on Mediawatch. It's very funny.

One rule for one…

The Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel has praised Monaco for doing ‘what they do in France’ and giving Tiemoue Bakayoko plenty of first-team football last season before selling him for £35.1m to Chelsea. And this is because Chelsea are evil and do not do the same thing with their young players. Thus, Monaco are to be praised. Well done, Monaco.

The Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel feels a little differently about Southampton, who ‘sell their best players’ and merely ‘have a fine Academy that generates revenue’. This is because he hates Southampton. Thus, Southampton are to be derided. Boo to Southampton.

Oh when the Saints…

Mediawatch cannot spend too long on Martin Samuel’s latest nonsense about Southampton but claiming that you ‘could argue’ that Swansea and Stoke are ‘more successful’ than the Saints is quite some claim. You could argue that, but you would be a damned fool with a massive axe to grind.

‘Let’s see, Swansea won the League Cup in 2013 and have gone further than Southampton in Europe…’

Yes, and they have just fought a relegation battle in a season that saw them employ three different managers. They have only once finished in the top eight over the last five years, which is a feat achieved in four successive seasons by Southampton.

‘Stoke have reached as many domestic finals this decade and got to the Europa League’s last 32.’

‘This decade’? Just about. They reached a domestic final in 2010/11, when Southampton were still in League One. And they have never once finished in the top eight.

Mediawatch suspects that Southampton fans are rather happier than their lot. But why let that get in the way of yet another pop at a club that has no ‘ambition’ (despite spending more on transfers over the last five years than every club bar the top six)?

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-alexis-sanchez-wants-spain-or-england-or

he didnt compare us to his beloved WHU, who I suspect have spent a lot more and won nothing either.

Interesting that we don't scout outside of Europe.

I'd imagine work permit issues contribute, it's difficult for an English club just to pick up some relatively unknown talent from South America or Africa.

You are then left competing for people like Gabriel Jesus and paying £30 million. Not many of the South American talents that come to Europe seem to come to England first.

he didnt compare us to his beloved WHU, who I suspect have spent a lot more and won nothing either.

Was in that article above -

From summer 2010 to the end of 2016/17 , Southampton had a net spend of £18.6 million, according to transfermarkt; West Ham, who finished below Southampton for the past four seasons, had a net spend of £135 million in this time.

So yeh, obvious why he left West Ham out.

Edited by tajjuk

One rule for one…

Oh when the Saints…

I've always hated Martin Samuel even before i knew he hated us, there is something about his jowls coupled with his arrogance, the sooner print media is eviserated the better and if I ever meet samuels he is getting a rear naked chokehold around his massive hippo neck and then kicked in his nuts about 58 times.

I've always hated Martin Samuel even before i knew he hated us, there is something about his jowls coupled with his arrogance, the sooner print media is eviserated the better and if I ever meet samuels he is getting a rear naked chokehold around his massive hippo neck and then kicked in his nuts about 58 times.

He looks like Geoff Capes on the Elvis Presley diet.

That's the spirit. Spoken like a true Saints fan.

Interesting comments from Steve Parish in the De Boer press conference, he made it quite clear that there was another club who had made contact to De Boer but De Boer wanted to make it clear to Parish he was only interested in Palace and had not spoken to the other club. Also, De Boer was asked about the Everton job last season, he said he was in pole position for the job until Koeman changed his mind after saying no first time round. Backs up what a lot of people have been saying.

Get off the fence mate.

I managed to leave a comment on Samuels' article yesterday pointing out that he was having yet another go at Saints. But it seems that that was verboten and it has now disappeared. Strange as nothing rude in the slightest, and nothing more than the bit about having a go at Saints again.

Nice to see that he can't take the merest criticism while he dishes it out in bucket loads.

:lol:

I would just flying armbar him. Rear naked choke would be too risky.

I managed to leave a comment on Samuels' article yesterday pointing out that he was having yet another go at Saints. But it seems that that was verboten and it has now disappeared. Strange as nothing rude in the slightest, and nothing more than the bit about having a go at Saints again.

Nice to see that he can't take the merest criticism while he dishes it out in bucket loads.

:lol:

A slippery slope posting below the line on a Mail article. Be careful.

Interesting comments from Steve Parish in the De Boer press conference, he made it quite clear that there was another club who had made contact to De Boer but De Boer wanted to make it clear to Parish he was only interested in Palace and had not spoken to the other club. Also, De Boer was asked about the Everton job last season, he said he was in pole position for the job until Koeman changed his mind after saying no first time round. Backs up what a lot of people have been saying.

Seems both clubs are happy but we have the far superior manager and I love him more and more with every article. Seriously think we will near the top at end of September assuming it clicks.

Seems both clubs are happy but we have the far superior manager and I love him more and more with every article. Seriously think we will near the top at end of September assuming it clicks.

Think Les will have to sign a few 1st team players first not U21s for the future although I agree that he sounds a good fit.

I watched this on Sky Sports yesterday and felt that De Boer talked and looked as though he did not wish to be there. He certainly did not come across as a motivational speaker. In saying this, we have yet to hear our new Manager.

What I thought was interesting from that interview was when Parish basically said it was the first time they had sat down and actually thought through a process of what they wanted in a manager, what style of play they wanted, what players etc. I think we take for granted how well run and thought out our processes are. Sure it takes a bit of time but look at the alternatives, the last 5 managers they had were Freedman, Holloway, Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce. All pretty much old school British managers.

It's also interesting that we tracked players like Romeu and Gabbiadinni, before they went to their previous clubs.

I suspect that means any signings we make this year are likely to be players we've tracked for several seasons and have recently had a change in circumstances that makes them more available, so fallen down the pecking order, nearing end of contract, etc.

My concern with FdB, although I would have been OK with him coming here, is that he has coached Ajax and Inter. Two huge fish in their respective leagues (and indeed world football) and that we, and Palace, are a step down in stature but (probably) not wages.

Reckon we dodged a bullet with De Boer. Spoke about spending lots of money. Wont last long.

I get the impression that we were worried that our current manager was wanted by palace and that we rushed it through.

Very unusual to install a manager without a press conference.

The comments by De Boar suggests a dig at us as he knows he was 2nd choice by both clubs.