Mauricio Pellegrino signs as First Team Manager on a Three Year deal - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

So are you saying the information that I posted on here regarding his book, hasn't been covered on here, but at your work? I must say i found your reply to my previous post very strange.

Jesus Christ lad relax. I was just making the point that whenever football periodisation is brought up, it usually results in the same conversations weekly in my context.

I wasn't digging your genuinely useful post or you out. No need to be so sensitive.

Nada, zilch.

My arthritic gran has more chance of nailing jelly to the wall than AR-10 has nailing an ITK rumour. Truly a moron of the highest order.

Last last last time I ever reply to you but seriously.

I get you don't like me. I get it. Honestly I think everyone gets THAT.

Just stop following me around and being such a helmet with trolling everything I post.

I'll leave it there. Put me on ignore.

It's really easy to do. Just click one button.

But you won't will ya. Trolls never do.

In professional coaching circles, is this chap genuinely well thought of and held in high regard? Bit of a coup getting this back-room staff in?

Personally, his name ever came up when I researched football periodisation (he isn't the immediate first choice advocate of this Raymond Verheijen - Mourinho & briefly Bielsa are the most notable).

As for those at work, one lad spent eight months in Spain and said he is highly regarded (likened him to a 'less wet behind the ears Eddie Howe) in terms of if a top five job came up he would be on all their shortlists (except Valencia). Tactically astute and a lot of flexibility. Common for coaches in Spain not to deliver functions or phases of play in training - simulator to Claude they would deliver 'maintenance activities' most commonly in Spain it's a rondo. Pellegrino fine tunes the margins so expect to see a fluid but premeditated style.

So not really useful apart from the articles posted on here.

.......ah, one for the connoisseur........the perfect 3:54 am post. Textbook. :)

Vut you missed this, maybe:

"Last edited by niceandfriendly; Today at 03:56 AM. Reason: clarity"

Sheeittttt.... how unclear must it have been before the edit, and how can you measure that it is clearer now?

Personally, his name ever came up when I researched football periodisation (he isn't the immediate first choice advocate of this Raymond Verheijen - Mourinho & briefly Bielsa are the most notable).

As for those at work, one lad spent eight months in Spain and said he is highly regarded (likened him to a 'less wet behind the ears Eddie Howe) in terms of if a top five job came up he would be on all their shortlists (except Valencia). Tactically astute and a lot of flexibility. Common for coaches in Spain not to deliver functions or phases of play in training - simulator to Claude they would deliver 'maintenance activities' most commonly in Spain it's a rondo. Pellegrino fine tunes the margins so expect to see a fluid but premeditated style.

What went wrong at Valencia then?

What went wrong at Valencia then?

Sacked at Valencia in his debut season as a head coach.

Valencia had sold all of their star names and only Ever Bangea, Dani Parejo and Roberto Soldado remained as stand out players. Fans protested against Llorente the club president who responded by sacking Pelligrino. Fans still blame Llorente and not Pellegrino, who turned up to training and chanted Pellegrino's name - Soldado had to go and apologise to them and publicly say they've let Pellegrino down. David Albeda went on record in the press saying the players let him down and he was a magnificent coach.

Edited by Monk

Valencia had sold all of their star names and only Ever Bangea, Dani Parejo and Roberto Soldado remained as stand out players. Fans protested against Llorente the club president who responded by sacking Pelligrino. Fans still blame Llorente and not Pellegrino, who turned up to training and chanted Pellegrino's name - Soldado had to go and apologise to them and publicly say they've let Pellegrino down. David Albeda went on record in the press saying the players let him down and he was a magnificent coach.

sounds familiar...

Tony Adams is trying to buy Sunderland, so relax guys. He hasn't been anywhere near the club.

Actually not true. A friend saw Adams in Southampton last week. Told me but I didn't think anything of it until now as he was clearly not in the running for the managers job.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/dec/03/valencia-axe-mauricio-pellegrino-president

Hope that link works... found it quite an interesting snippet about his time (and equally Emery's) at Valencia.

Jesus Christ lad relax. I was just making the point that whenever football periodisation is brought up, it usually results in the same conversations weekly in my context.

I wasn't digging your genuinely useful post or you out. No need to be so sensitive.

Got to say Monk, I took your original reply as having a pop at leG as well. However, as you're one of the few genuine itks still bothering to post on here, as far as I'm concerned you have carte blanche. The alternative is an itk vacuum filled by glasgow and art, and I couldn't face that.

Last last last time I ever reply to you but seriously.

I get you don't like me. I get it. Honestly I think everyone gets THAT.

Just stop following me around and being such a helmet with trolling everything I post.

I'll leave it there. Put me on ignore.

It's really easy to do. Just click one button.

But you won't will ya. Trolls never do.

Don't worry, he does it to a few people on this site. Just smacks of bullying to me...

Actually not true. A friend saw Adams in Southampton last week. Told me but I didn't think anything of it until now as he was clearly not in the running for the managers job.

I never said he wasn't in the city. I said he hasn't been anywhere near the club.

We are not going to be after a failed former Portsmouth manager.

Cheers.

Could be wrong but I thought that Watson has been doing more general coaching over the last year and somebody else was looking after the Goalkeepers?

Watson's new role was head of goalkeepers, or something like that. He works with people like Vince and Ryan Flood across all the age groups, but he's still the primary first team goal keeping coach and match day technical coach (subs/instructions etc)

Watson's new role was head of goalkeepers, or something like that. He works with people like Vince and Ryan Flood across all the age groups, but he's still the primary first team goal keeping coach and match day technical coach (subs/instructions etc)

Ah right!! I knew Bartram was something to do with it and attributed Forster's drop off of form to the fact he was no longer working with Watson on a day to day basis.

That Guardian article makes me love Pellegrino already, haha. Especially as I've just finished reading Jonathan Wilson's book on Argentinian football (would highly recommend it) Hopefully he lives up to expectations!

Interesting to see what they are saying about our football.Hey, thanks for the recommendation. Will look at it.

That Guardian article makes me love Pellegrino already, haha. Especially as I've just finished reading Jonathan Wilson's book on Argentinian football (would highly recommend it) Hopefully he lives up to expectations!

Is this 'Angels with dirty faces?' What did you think of it, thinking of starting that or Daniel Fielsends 'The European Game'?

You seem to have a childish, bitter grudge against Samuels for some reason.

Sour, this was your response to my accusation that Samuels held a rather childish grudge against us. OK our opinions differed on that but not sure why he has just published the below.

Sell, sell, sell! The Saints way

As expected, Mauricio Pellegrino is the new manager of Southampton.

'He has an excellent understanding of the "Southampton Way",' said vice-chairman Les Reed. 'His style of play and aspiration matches the philosophy, culture and ambition of the club. He knows our players and believes we have a great squad that with some fine-tuning will be able to deliver continued success.'

Continued what? Southampton's success is largely financial. They haven't won anything since 1976. They have made it into Europe three times since 1985. They haven't progressed beyond the group stage or first round of a European competition since 1982.

Last season's EFL Cup run was their first domestic final since 2003. They have had a decent team for a number of years, but are not successful by recognisable sporting standards because they sell their best players.

So, they can't have it all ways. They can't duck the responsibility of genuinely aiming for a major trophy, then pretend that eighth place is success. Leicester won the Premier League with half the squad that Southampton could have had with a little more ambition.

If there is a 'Southampton Way' it involves a fine academy that generates revenue and helps maintain an upper mid-table position.

It is, indisputably, a very well-run club. But that's all it is. In the modern game, there are plenty of clubs that survive in the Premier League. Stoke, Swansea and West Brom have all been in the top division longer than Southampton. Are they considered successful, too?

Let's see. Swansea won the League Cup in 2013 and have gone further than Southampton in Europe, while Stoke have reached as many domestic finals this decade and got to the Europa League's last 32. One could argue they're more successful.

Claude Puel having been dumped because his football was deemed dull, Pellegrino already has a difficult job emulating last season's League position, while upping entertainment levels. He may also find out more about the 'Southampton Way' if a better offer comes in for Virgil van Dijk.

Seems a rather strange article to write IMO, with no other point seemingly than to be overly negative about us.

Sour, this was your response to my accusation that Samuels held a rather childish grudge against us. OK our opinions differed on that but not sure why he has just published the below.

Sell, sell, sell! The Saints way

As expected, Mauricio Pellegrino is the new manager of Southampton.

'He has an excellent understanding of the "Southampton Way",' said vice-chairman Les Reed. 'His style of play and aspiration matches the philosophy, culture and ambition of the club. He knows our players and believes we have a great squad that with some fine-tuning will be able to deliver continued success.'

Continued what? Southampton's success is largely financial. They haven't won anything since 1976. They have made it into Europe three times since 1985. They haven't progressed beyond the group stage or first round of a European competition since 1982.

Last season's EFL Cup run was their first domestic final since 2003. They have had a decent team for a number of years, but are not successful by recognisable sporting standards because they sell their best players.

So, they can't have it all ways. They can't duck the responsibility of genuinely aiming for a major trophy, then pretend that eighth place is success. Leicester won the Premier League with half the squad that Southampton could have had with a little more ambition.

If there is a 'Southampton Way' it involves a fine academy that generates revenue and helps maintain an upper mid-table position.

It is, indisputably, a very well-run club. But that's all it is. In the modern game, there are plenty of clubs that survive in the Premier League. Stoke, Swansea and West Brom have all been in the top division longer than Southampton. Are they considered successful, too?

Let's see. Swansea won the League Cup in 2013 and have gone further than Southampton in Europe, while Stoke have reached as many domestic finals this decade and got to the Europa League's last 32. One could argue they're more successful.

Claude Puel having been dumped because his football was deemed dull, Pellegrino already has a difficult job emulating last season's League position, while upping entertainment levels. He may also find out more about the 'Southampton Way' if a better offer comes in for Virgil van Dijk.

Seems a rather strange article to write IMO, with no other point seemingly than to be overly negative about us.

I wouldn't call describe that as negative. Quite a realistic summary, all told,

Is this 'Angels with dirty faces?' What did you think of it, thinking of starting that or Daniel Fielsends 'The European Game'?

Well I'd read 'Inverting the Pyramid' and 'Anatomy of England', and thought they were both excellent, but 'Angels with Dirty Faces' eclipsed them for me. Actually found the first half of the book the more fascinating part, when it looks at the first half of the 1900s, but second half was also interesting, especially as someone who only vaguely remembers Maradona. When I was in Argentina I definitely got the impression, more than anywhere else in the world, that the people there are obsessed with football, but this book makes me wish I had delved further into it when I was there, rather than just attending one match at El Monumental.

Went to a talk a few weeks ago by Jonathan Wilson about the book, that was equally fascinating, could listen to the stories from history all day!

******** is it. The bloke is a ar sehead. WBA finished above Chelsea and Liverpool lately? Recruited £60m CB? Had academy players regularly playing in the first team and for their country?

The idiotic 'sell their best players line' as if a policy - even a stupid cnt like Samuels knows how the game works and vulnerable to predatory clubs. The skill is in replacing and still finishing in top 10 regularly so soon after promotion. This win something boll ocks - why do Walsall etc. have any fans? Existing in the PL isn't glamorous but about having a competitive team so fans enjoy games and we have that. I must confess I am prejudiced in my views of that pompous fcker though.

It was massively negative and, as Angelman says, what was the point of it ?

There was no information at all about Pellegrino's history and experience, no insight into his character, no analysis of his tactics or training methods. Nothing at all on our new manager apart from an ill-informed opinion that Pellegrino is a mug to take the job.

What was Samuels' motivation in writing such an article and where was the research ?

Do yourself a favour and seek out the recent opinions expressed by Sid Lowe, Guillaume Balague and Tim Vickery who all do a deep dive into Pellegrino's coaching and playing background as well as his character and how he is a perfect fit for Saints, which they all consider to be one of the most well run clubs in World Football. Proper research and proper journalism.

I have to disagree with you there. "They are not successful by recognisable sporting standards", by which I take it he means winning leagues and tophies, the kind of success which comes largely to the big six clubs with the big resources.

So he goes on to compare Saints with broadly similar clubs, Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, and to assert that Saints are less successful. That's highly debatable. No compelling evidence is given for this view. He puts forward Stoke reaching as many finals as Saints and Swansea winning the LC, and both going further in Europe than Saints. And they and West Brom having "survived" in the PL longer than Saints. But for Swansea's single LC triumph, these are largely different criteria of success from his "recognisable sporting standards".

He asserts that Saints' success is "largely financial" (though doesn't say what that financial success entails). He acknowledges that it is "indisputably a well run club" and that Saints has a "fine academy". He ignores Saints finishing 8th, 7th, 6th, 8th in the past 4 seasons. This isn't a club which is aiming for survival as he implies.

The general tenor is entirely negative and not for the first time. His arguments are woolly and poorly argued imo. It smacks of prejudice. Hardly a surprise considering he works for Dacre.

'Success' is massively contextual. What we consider success is very different to what Chelsea or City consider success and also different to what a newly promoted or bottom-5 team would consider success.

IMO, success for Saints is Europa League qualification. That would be a big positive and we'd all celebrate... but if Chelsea did the same, it would be failure.

Samuels seems to think if you're in the Premier League, you have to win something. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see if he posts a similar article about Crystal Palace, who have been far less successful in recent years than us and also have a new manager (I admit, he may well have already done so, I don't tend to hunt out his articles).