Jan Bednarek

Pamplemousse

Despite the continuing mistakes he makes, costing us goals directly by his casual play. Also gives next to nothing goals wise. He will be a good player eventually but needs to cut out the mistakes. Stephens gets panned on here by some, yet makes very few mistakes, reads the game better, provides a threat up front, people also say he does not head the ball, which h is a complete myth.

Quite right. A lot of supporters seem content with the poor players we have at the moment. We need a high quality CB to join and then I would pick: new CB, Bednarek, Stephens and Yoshida. A mistake a game tends to be made by Hoedt and Yoshida and needs to be cut out as it costs points.

Very cool news. Does anyone know if he is likely to start? I've no idea who else plays at CB for Poland.

Glik is their leader at the back, but is currently carrying an injury. I would not be surprised if Jan got a start or 2.

I haven't really noticed much of Bednarek in the last couple of games and I think that shows he is doing a decent job. Compare that to Hoedt, who seems to do quite a few noticeably good things, but also has the odd heart-stopping or obviously poor moment.

Tbf he had a concussion and missed the last game, and went off injured in the one before it (thus turning the game in our favour). He's been our best defender this season, though he needs a run of games to see if he's the real deal or if he's just playing out of his skin.

Tbf he had a concussion and missed the last game, and went off injured in the one before it (thus turning the game in our favour). He's been our best defender this season, though he needs a run of games to see if he's the real deal or if he's just playing out of his skin.
He's only played about six games - and all of them as part of a very defensive back five. In a back four for the u23s he looked very poor - certainly not better than his centre back partner Alfie Jones. He doesn't move well when isolated one on one with attackers. Over time that will become obvious.

I think it's a bit premature to be suggesting he's been our best defender on such slim evidence. He did okay, and in our dire situation that was good enough, but let's not get carried away.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He's only played about six games - and all of them as part of a very defensive back five. In a back four for the u23s he looked very poor - certainly not better than his centre back partner Alfie Jones. He doesn't move well when isolated one on one with attackers. Over time that will become obvious.

I think it's a bit premature to be suggesting he's been our best defender on such slim evidence. He did okay, and in our dire situation that was good enough, but let's not get carried away.

He was our best defender precisely because the rest of them were so consistently bad. It didn't take much. I'll be waiting with interest to see our formation next season as it's a key pointer of whether Hughes will be doing things his way or (ahem) The Southampton Way.

He won player of the month for April too, so he must have been doing something right. Agree that it's "slim evidence" at this stage though.

He was our best defender precisely because the rest of them were so consistently bad. It didn't take much. I'll be waiting with interest to see our formation next season as it's a key pointer of whether Hughes will be doing things his way or (ahem) The Southampton Way.

He won player of the month for April too, so he must have been doing something right. Agree that it's "slim evidence" at this stage though.

Glad he’s made their squad. He’s not the finished article but it’s clear he’s got some potential.

I would never have described him as our best defender but I thought aerially he was strong which was an obvious weakness we had.

He has started Poland's final two friendlies before the World Cup, I'd guess from that he will be starting the competition for them as well.
Like I said earlier. He has been given the number 5 shirt. That speaks for itself.

Les the Alchemist still thinks he can turn Lead into gold

...and to think how many posters thought he was ***** and a waste of space.

Dancing to a different tune now of course. Oh, the sweet smell of success. Zero to Hero in 5 minutes Saints fan style

Indeed...

• 1 month later...

Just seen that Hannover are interested in Bednarek. Apparently the arrival of Vestergard has unsettled him somewhat and Hannover are looking to take advantage of that. I can't see it happening personally. He is in the match day squad and had a decent end to the season last time out.

https://www.90min.de/posts/6142805-hannover-96-jan-bednarek-als-neuer-verteidiger-im-gespraech-bicakcic-transfer-steht-nicht-bevor

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southamptons-ferrari-considered-transfer-90-mins-bench-burnley/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Better than Stephens by a distance I feel

Nope not for me - slow not good enough reader of the game yet and distribution not good enough but he is young and has time.

Stephens had a good game yesterday and offers far more than Bednarek who can just react defend.

Can't see why we would sell or loan yet

Better than Stephens by a distance I feel

I think he’s worse then Stephens in every aspect. I don’t think Stephens are that bad that some people here imply. Bednarek is good but somewhat overhyped IMO. He still looks very raw to me and not ready to play PL football every week. His WC appearances was quite shaky too

Glad you said that as i thought it was just me . Stephens shouldn't be any where near the match day 18

Rubbish what did he do wrong yesterday? Try watching how he covered the other defenders - used his pace to good effect something we dont have in abundance in defence. His distribution is light years above Hoedt and Bednarek.

Rubbish what did he do wrong yesterday? Try watching how he covered the other defenders - used his pace to good effect something we dont have in abundance in defence. His distribution is light years above Hoedt and Bednarek.

not about the last game, it is about his whole career so far, I reckon

not about yesterday, it is about his whole career so far, I reckon

Why? he played well yesterday so why shouldnt he be near the 18?

What has Bednarek done thats put him in the 18 - he was appalling along with everyone else against Borussia?

Bednarek has just done the basics - has no pace, no distribution, can't read it well enough see Borussia first goal so what makes him an autoimatic choice?

Could you play Hoedt, Vestergaard and Bednarek together with no pace at all?

Don't get me wrong I am not Stephens greatest fan he falls asleep at times and ball watches but to say nowhere near the 18 is wrong when we are not blessed with much else but he does offer more than others do.

Why? he played well yesterday so why shouldnt he be near the 18?

What has Bednarek done thats put him in the 18 - he was appalling along with everyone else against Borussia?

Bednarek has just done the basics - has no pace, no distribution, can't read it well enough see Borussia first goal so what makes him an autoimatic choice?

Could you play Hoedt, Vestergaard and Bednarek together with no pace at all?

Don't get me wrong I am not Stephens greatest fan he falls asleep at times and ball watches but to say nowhere near the 18 is wrong when we are not blessed with much else but he does offer more than others do.

I believe stephens has proven to be pretty fuking appalling at the aerial part of defending. He also gets caught ball watching a fair bit.

This was under 2 very defensive managers...Now, everyone has a clean slate etc but he would easily be my (and guessing many others) 4th choice.

I believe stephens has proven to be pretty fuking appalling at the aerial part of defending. He also gets caught ball watching a fair bit.

This was under 2 very defensive managers...Now, everyone has a clean slate etc but he would easily be my (and guessing many others) 4th choice.

Stephens is a good player with ball at feet he was originally a fullback so it is not surprising he is not good in the air defensively.

Why not give him a chance and see what happens

would you put him in the 18 next week then?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hoedt is by far the worst defender we have.

Stephens will probably never cut it as a CB in the PL but is quite a cultured footballer so could probably transfer some of those skills successfully to another role.

Bednarek done well last year being thrown in but in pre season has been awful.... but nowhere near as bad as Hoedt.

That bloke is abysmal. Still don’t get what people see in him. Then again, many thought Forster was useful

Everyone has a different opinion of all players my opinion of Stephens won’t change he is not PL standard the same as hoedt and yes I did try watch it live at the stadium and he was dreadful

• 4 months later...

At least two goal saving interceptions today and looked about 1.5 trillion times better than Hoedt has all season. Must have wondered what he’d done wrong after a good WC and strong finish to season, iffy pre season but didn’t they all?

Yoshi better today, some ropey moments but very brave last 20 minutes and nearly a great goal. Vestergaard better after last week’s debacle.

Basically, get rid of Hoedt for anything the club can get and a leader in there please.

He was at the standard I expect a Prem CB to play - although he was made to look much better by some of the awful mistakes the rest of the back 5 showed, but for once mostly got away with. Still think we need another CB to play alongside him but yes he is the one CB who has shown continuous improvement so Hughes just ignoring him wasn’t clever.

Read the game well, some terrific interceptions and good passing from the back. I was surprised when he vanished from the line-up this season, as I thought he was really good for us during the back end of last season. He's a strong/powerful CB and I think works really well as a 3 on the right side.

Hoedt is by far the worst defender we have.

Stephens will probably never cut it as a CB in the PL but is quite a cultured footballer so could probably transfer some of those skills successfully to another role.

Bednarek done well last year being thrown in but in pre season has been awful.... but nowhere near as bad as Hoedt.

That bloke is abysmal. Still don’t get what people see in him. Then again, many thought Forster was useful

i agree about Hoedt. He needs to be sold to whoever would possibly buy him. Truly terrible player and (possibly) disruptive influence. I think we need to buy another good commanding CB in January and it may be a case of freeing up the wage bill to do that, based on noises from the club

Solid player.

Only obvious weakness (as showed for Arsenal's first goal) is an absolute lack of pace, which is apparant when he gets dragged out wide a little.

Very good at the simple bits of defending, which is welcome.

Likeable too.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jan Bednarek