Jan Bednarek

Pamplemousse

Not sure about others, but being a funny old sod, the way we seemingly were treating Bednarek made me feel a little uneasy. We sign a young Polish lad and then dump him from the first team after not bad performances for us, and good ones in the World Cup. Instead we stuck with defenders who didn't cover themselves in glory.

He has improved massively since he first signed, especially over the course of this season. He was better towards the end of last season but I don’t think he had done enough to earn an automatic spot in our team.

He has improved massively since he first signed, especially over the course of this season. He was better towards the end of last season but I don’t think he had done enough to earn an automatic spot in our team.

NO, of course, he didn't deserve to walk straight into the team. But I did feel that he might have not even been given the chance that he deserved. But of course that it me sitting in the Kingsland spouting off.

I think he'd done enough to get in ahead of that **** Hoedt.

Among a lot of recent poor signings I guess you have to give the club credit for this one. He cost us very little in terms of today's transfer fees, but is coming on leaps and bounds, and looks very at home in the PL. If he keeps this up no doubt we will sell him on for a tidy fee. The club needs to work hard to be making more signings like Jan and less like Moi.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I thought he was one of our best players at the back end of last season, one of the reasons we looked so strong. Why he was just discarded at the start of the season was bizzare. especially because Hoedt was included, who if anything, managed to get even worse over the course of the summer.

The exclusion of Bedernak and Romeu are two of the mysteries Hughes may never be able to answer.

I thought he was one of our best players at the back end of last season, one of the reasons we looked so strong. Why he was just discarded at the start of the season was bizzare. especially because Hoedt was included, who if anything, managed to get even worse over the course of the summer.

The exclusion of Bedernak and Romeu are two of the mysteries Hughes may never be able to answer.

this. Especially when after a good end to the season with us he went on to have (for him) a very good world cup. Makes it even odder.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bednarek is such an odd player. Does quite well in duels and shows bravery when blocking shots but then as soon as the ball is near him he just becomes so timid.

Watching him closely last night he is just so bad on the ball. He often plays teammates into trouble because he can't do anything other than a basic 10 yard pass and even then its usually underhit and behind someone. That really hampers our attacking game as its so laboured at the back.

He us obviously talented and has done well for Poland and is our first choice CB, but if he could improve in possession and take a bit more responsibility it would totally transform him as a player.

Bednarek is such an odd player. Does quite well in duels and shows bravery when blocking shots but then as soon as the ball is near him he just becomes so timid.

Watching him closely last night he is just so bad on the ball. He often plays teammates into trouble because he can't do anything other than a basic 10 yard pass and even then its usually underhit and behind someone. That really hampers our attacking game as its so laboured at the back.

He us obviously talented and has done well for Poland and is our first choice CB, but if he could improve in possession and take a bit more responsibility it would totally transform him as a player.

I think he would be a solid CB as the junior member of a partnership - alongside a Fonte or VvD (or even Yoshida) he would do well. Playing alongside Stephens I can imagine doesn't fill you with confidence.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Good news but van Dick and Liarlanna signed long contracts as I recall, Means nothing in reality. Big(ger) club comes calling and he will be off.

Not true, it significantly increases his value and prevents a Wanyama, Clyne or Hojbjerg situation where they were sold cheap with 1 year left of their contract. 

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Good news. Should stop the bindippers sniffing around in January trying to strengthen their injury hit back four.

Wouldn't make a jot of difference. If the bindippers wanted him (and he was willing to go) they would get him, only the price would change. 

19 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Great news that Jan has extended his contract with us :) hopefully there more room for improvement and he can grow with us. Jack, Ingsy and Ryan next please :)

Delighted.

Honestly though, I could see no reason why he would want to leave here and never thought he would. These contracts take time. Anybody who leaves now might well be kicking themselves in a year or two's time.

• 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Should Ralph really have come out and said this? I know he did the sarcastic clapping to the fans last week, but this won't do Jan any favours. 

If he didn’t get picked because his head wasn’t right for a home qtr final tie then he can bugger off in the summer as far as I’m concerned. The only players that currently get a pass like that are Ukrainian with all that’s happening in their country.

Ship him and Stephens out and get a couple of upgrades, it won’t take much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Time to get rid. The fact he doesn't fancy playing in our biggest game of the season because he's worried about getting injured says it all. New CB desperately needed in the summer. 

Strange player is Bednarek, feels like he's been here a while now but has never really built much popularity amongst the fans, probably because we've been terrible at the back for many of those seasons. Was a decent buy for £5M but don't think many would miss him if he goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Should Ralph really have come out and said this? I know he did the sarcastic clapping to the fans last week, but this won't do Jan any favours. 

I think one of 2 things have happened 

either the the club and Jan have already decided to split at the end of the season or Ralph is putting in some deflection now that the season is over

Bednarek wouldn’t be a major loss - he’s half decent defensively but extremely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

We can do much better, but my fear is that Ralph has got it into his head that Valery is a right side CB. He isn’t - often weak positionally, and nowhere near good enough in the air.

If it’s a choice between Bednarek and Valery, god forbid, I’d reluctantly go with Bednarek.

Good riddance. With him, Salisu, Stephens, Lyanco and Valery emerging I don't think there would be much scope to sign a new cb, which we sorely need. If we sell him for even remotely decent money I back the club to replace him with someone far better, with the quality of our scouting and the bonus spending power of the new owners.

Had good spells here in the past, but like the rest of our defenders, lacks consistency and has other weaknesses both technically and physically. The very least us fans ask for is commitment to the club and to be available and play when needed. He now doesn't even have that. Today was our biggest match of the season and he's pretty much stuck two fingers up to the club and the fans and shown that he doesn't care. We've had far better players here in recent years pull this move and survived after their inevitable departure, get rid of him at the next available opportunity. 

Imagine if we were in a relegation battle and we had him picking and choosing when he wants to be in the squad, while picking up his wages happily.

Hopefully this is the back of him, if we sell Bednarek for over £10m then I suspect we could find a better CB for that. Especially Since Jan can't be fucked to play in our most important game of the season due to international commitments.

• Like 1

Need a new CB to sit alongside Salisu, assuming he's still here next season. I don't mind having Stephens or Valery as a 4th choice CB. but to have both those two and Bednarek, is a bit of a joke.

Arguably, we're planning on having Sali and Lyanco as first choice next season, bring in someone else to be third choice and compete with those two, and then have 1 of the other 3 staying as fourth choice. If Bednarek CBA to play, then he is more than welcome to find a new home next season.

1 minute ago, danjosaint said:

But we could do with getting rid of bednarek and Stephens not just one of them

I think Stephens is better than Lyanco, personally. Would rather get rid of him but we just signed him. Can't see two CBs leaving unless one of them is Salisu unfortunately though.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think Stephens is better than Lyanco, personally. Would rather get rid of him but we just signed him. Can't see two CBs leaving unless one of them is Salisu unfortunately though.

I completely disagree, and personally I think Lyanco has a far higher "ceiling" than Stephens. Stephens has proved over the last 10 years with us, that he will never be good enough to be a premier league regular. He makes too many mistakes, loses his man, and cannot concentrate for 90 minutes. I think his time is pretty much up for us, if we want to get any better.  He is fine as an emergency CB to play a couple of games a season, but I cannot see him happy with that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I completely disagree, and personally I think Lyanco has a far higher "ceiling" than Stephens. Stephens has proved over the last 10 years with us, that he will never be good enough to be a premier league regular. He makes too many mistakes, loses his man, and cannot concentrate for 90 minutes. I think his time is pretty much up for us, if we want to get any better.  He is fine as an emergency CB to play a couple of games a season, but I cannot see him happy with that. 

Boths ceiling is incredibly low for me, Stephens is mildly more consistent but not by much. Neither should be anything but 4th choice imo.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jan Bednarek