Jan Bednarek

Pamplemousse

Just find it strange how he came into the team under Hughes at the end of last season, played pretty well, and then never got a look in this season. Oh well, he's back in the team and playing well again.

played decent enough in the world cup as well.

I think he's suffered from not having an obvious stand out attribute. He's not amazing in the air, he's not got particular pace, he's not as good on the ball as Stephens etc...

However, he does seem to relish the art of defending and he's got less visible qualities like grit, commitment, application etc. Basically, a bit like Fonte. He was never the best at anything in particular but he still added qualities to the team.

• 4 weeks later...

Very, very good.

Reminds me a bit of Fonte, quite gangly but manages to extend his foot onto pretty much everything.

Great attitude. Where people moan about unlikeable players, this guy is the opposite.

An absolute steal at £5m.

Man of the Match today I thought. Won so many tackles and headers and seemingly appeared out of nowhere to make a vital block in the first half.

I think of the outfield players, him, PEH and Redmond are pretty much automatic choices at the moment.

Really loving his performances of late. Oh and just to upset a few on here, he's also "young and guaranteed to improve" ;)

Cracking purchase, cares deeply, thank you Ralph for making Saints fun to watch again.

Each game he seems to make crucial point saving clearances or tackles.

Just off the top of my head ... Arsenal amazing tackle from nowhere as player on 6 yard about to have an easy tap in. Leicester .... mind boggling goal line clearance from Leicester centre half. Everton flying sliding block as Everton carved us open at 0-0 to block shot for a corner. Oh and that composed mazy run out of defence and dink to set up Ings on a break .... a bit like 'Silky" Claus.

Doesn't hold back from putting himself in the way of the shot. That's what you need from your defenders. No concern for his own welfare.

Automatic choice for me.

So odd for Hughes to ignore him even after he'd used him in the relegation run-in last season.

So odd for Hughes to ignore him even after he'd used him in the relegation run-in last season.

Hughes got rid of Boufal, played Hoedt repeatedly, dropped Romeu, Bednarak and we almost sold JWP.

I will feel truly sorry for any fans who have to put up with Hughes as their manager in the future.

This is the odd thing - when he came in back end of the season he really did very well from what i could see. Not flawless or super fast but just liked actual defending (heading, blocking, getting rid of the ball from danger etc). He then had really quite a decent world cup - was left out then his addiion improved the side for next couple of games. Come home and then frozen out. No idea what influence Reed had on the Hoedt situation though - probably felt he couldnt afford another failed signing (and ultimately was right) so maybe there was some pressure there. Hes doing brilliant, love the simplicitiy but also he clearly cares about his profession - he worked hard to find out how he could improve in many areas when left out and we are reaping the rewards of his characther now. Great to see. Be interesting to se him in a back four but at the mo loving everything he does

He's a ******** on the line kind of defender, just throws himself in front of anything and everything. I thought he did a good job at the back end of last year, so I had no idea why he was excluded at the start of this season. I mean Hoedt, over him? Come on.

Probably our best Centre Back to be honest - although Vesterguard is improving and looking more comfortable as we go.....still think we could do with some genuine pace and power in the back line though.

What strikes me is how Jack Jan and Jannick are all better as a three man defence rather than any combination as two central defenders

three is always going to be better than two. The question is, when Bertrand is fit and we get this new right back, thus strengthening the defence, will our centre backs be good enough to play as a two? Having a five man defence hides frailties. All that extra space to handle is not good for `slow defenders' like Vestergaard. Bednarek is not quick either I might add. I wonder if we will stick with three CBs until the end of the season no matter what?

Bednarek simply calms everything down. The formation also seems to afford the centre backs more protection from the midfield.

Bit of an odd thing to notice, but it struck me on Saturday that both Jan's stature and the way he runs are really quite reminiscent of (how I remember) Fonte.

• 2 months later...

Cheers for that. Shows what a complete wanker Hughes was.

One minor quibble: "Saints have hired former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and have made an inspired return to safety." Err, we're only 2 points above relegation. Famous last words come to mind there.

On Whoscored he is our highest average rating player, he's also in the op 5/6 for most defensive stats, like interceptions, blocks, tackles etc. in the league.

Only 4 centre backs in the league rate higher than him on whoscored, Van Dijk, Bamba, Schar and Duffy, all of whom are much older than him.

Pretty impressive considering our troubles and that he is only 22.

Edited by tajjuk

On Whoscored he is our highest average rating player, he's also in the op 5/6 for most defensive stats, like interceptions, blocks, tackles etc. in the league.

Only 4 centre backs in the league rate higher than him on whoscored, Van Dijk, Bamba, Schar and Duffy, all of whom are much older than him.

Pretty impressive considering our troubles and that he is only 22.

We certainly missed out on him when he left Hoffenheim. Les at his best.

Not sure about others, but being a funny old sod, the way we seemingly were treating Bednarek made me feel a little uneasy. We sign a young Polish lad and then dump him from the first team after not bad performances for us, and good ones in the World Cup. Instead we stuck with defenders who didn't cover themselves in glory.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jan Bednarek